• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Q3 FY16: Battlefront over 13 million shipped, EA #1 Pub PS4/XB1, $889M cash flow

How does their cash levels compare to other publishers? I've always been a fan of "cash is king" and having $2.2bn (in cash/cash equivalents) seems like a very nice number for them and they are doing very well.

Obviously there is more to it than that but that was the figure I looked straight for in their financials

Some people in this thread just can't accept the fact that people do like this version of Battlefront. The content is fine and you're getting free content and season passes.
People just want better from their favorite franchise. Not an endless string of barebones efforts.

Some people in this thread just can't accept the fact that people do like this version of Battlefront. The content is fine and you're getting free content and season passes.

You're right people do like it but that doesn't mean it's still not lacking what it's predecessors had mainly more varied content.

Boke1879

People just want better from their favorite franchise. Not an endless string of barebones efforts.

The game is fine. It doesn't need to emulate the structure of anything else. The content is there. Plenty of games modes. The gameplay being simple isn't a bad thing. People continue to play the game and people are excited for the upcoming content.

The issue is that some people just can't help themselves into bashing the game when it's brought up. Not your cup of tea? Fine. But what some may call "horribly mediocre" is just fine for many others.

Boke1879

You're right people do like it but that doesn't mean it's still not lacking what it's predecessors had mainly more varied content.

This game didn't bill itself on being Battlefront 3. No one has to like the game it's just old to see people bashing this game every time a thread pops up instead of discussing the topic.

Glad to see the game doing better than expected though. Many thought it wouldn't sell half this before March 31st.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Well, stores would have to order them, and they'd lose millions upon millions of dollars in licensing fees and return fees.

That is not how business works. Goodness.

supply and demand buddy. companies don't just ship out copies of games that retailers didnt actually order and retailers don't order extra copies of games that aren't selling lol

Haha I get that it'd be silly to ship out 13 million games without knowing they'd sell, just their PR talk is sometimes confusing. What happened to just saying "we sold x million copies to gamers, the end."

Kill3r7

with that amount of people

Currently online players

PC: 7,837 (24h peak: 9,442)

XBOXONE: 37,229 (24h peak: 44,420)

PS4: 65,905 (24h peak: 66,261)

Total: 110,971
yea.....

Who cares? Those people already paid for the game. It is not as though EA gets a retention bonus. I guess you could argue it will impact their bottom line with respect to potential DLC sales but I doubt they care.

tumblr_lnzghp5Z591qdzxj5.gif

I never had any doubts that it wouldn't put up huge numbers. It released when Star Wars hype was in full swing. That being said, it's a fun game and I still play it. If it would have released with as much content as the older titles, it would have been GOAT. I am looking forward to the DLC and also what they plan for the second one.

Saty

The return of Need for Speed™ drew more than twice as many monthly active players in Q3 than the previous game.

bomba. wonder if they'll elaborate on it on the call. Or if callers will bother asking about it.

Loris146

Rösti;193587317 said:
The music in the webcast has started. I will listen to it mainly to hear if they will share some new comments on NX. They replied to a question about NX in the Q2 FY2016 Earnings Conference Call:

Source: http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/1414455235x0x857661/6430018A-2AEA-4081-87D3-69D737B9FF35/EA_Q2_FY16_Transcript.pdf

And as it relates to Nintendo, we've had a tremendous relationship with them over the years. And we will evaluate any and all opportunities with
them, in the same way we do all platform opportunities.

Love this part lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Haha I get that it'd be silly to ship out 13 million games without knowing they'd sell, just their PR talk is sometimes confusing. What happened to just saying "we sold x million copies to gamers, the end."

Well, two main concerns:

1.) They don't always know how many copies get sold through versus how many are still in stock at stores.
2.) They get paid based on the copies they sell to the retailer instead of copies sold to consumers.

For a console vendor, sold-through is a more relevant number because that's how many customers are actually out there to buy software, which is what their partners are curious about.

For EA, sell-through is only the best number when talking about potential DLC customers.

It is possible to hide channel stock with a shipment number, yes, but it is what we get for like 90% of reported game sales.

KJRS_1993

I hope the fact that this game is doing so well really, 'really' irritates a certain bunch of people.

The gameplay is too simple for me personally, but it's very impressive to witness. I'm glad it's doing well.

Has the concurrent numbers have been linked yet to prove these numbers wrong? Lmaooooooo. Some of these haters/critics are desperate to see this game fail. Almost at the level of destiny. Imo of course.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Has the concurrent numbers have been linked yet to prove these numbers wrong? Lmaooooooo. Some of these haters/critics are desperate to see this game fail. Almost at the level of destiny. Imo of course.

The Watch_Dogs threads were also like this.

viHuGi

Banned
13m? That is pretty huge!

Sure it is not Black Ops 3 wich should be around 30m since US alone was what? 10m?

Jesus those Franchises are massive.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Massive achievement, but it's not one I expect them to emulate in 2016.

I should note it's #1 publisher on PS4/XB1 now that I look again.

So the duel will be Infinity Ward CoD/Destiny 2 with a guest appearance by Overwatch vs. Battlefield 5/FIFA/Madden with a guest appearance by Mass Effect 4.

The one fucking time Pachter was right... God, he's gonna get his own TV show now isn't he :p

Was that sold through? Because the EA announced sold in which is shipment to stores. So Patcher is wrong like always.

Also why are people posting player numbers when it is about shipments? We really don't fully know how much it was sold to consumers for all we know EA could have just shipped out a ton of units or it might be close to 12 million sold through by now. Although, it was EA would have said so,

Tenebrous

I should note it's #1 publisher on PS4/XB1 now that I look again.

So the duel will be Infinity Ward CoD/Destiny 2 vs. Battlefield 5/FIFA/Madden with a guest appearance by Mass Effect 4.

Looks like they'll both be printing money again this year. I wonder how much Overwatch will do for ActiBlizz on the console side of things, because looking at the games you've listed, I reckon Overwatch could be the one to potentially give them the edge.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Looks like they'll both be printing money again this year. I wonder how much Overwatch will do for ActiBlizz on the console side of things, because looking at the games you've listed, I reckon Overwatch could be the one to potentially give them the edge.

Whoops, forgot to list that one. Fixed.

Kolx

It's definitely better if it was sold to consumers instead of just stores since that means the extra demand will add to the 13 millions copies instead of consuming what is left of these 13 millions in store, but from pure revenue respective it's HUGE and still very impressive.

stryke

Currently online players

yea.....

How the hell do you sell 13 M but have only 110 K concurrent?
When Call of Dutys sell 15-20 M, they have 2-3 M concurrent, or at least that's what I remember from Modern Warfare 2 launch days.
I am really confused.

Like clockwork.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I was interested in December about the split and how much gifts and the bundle would influence this so I tracked it for ~5 weeks after launch.

32sVVfh.png

Of course this only accounts for amount of players online simultaneously which is not a perfect match but the general breakdown should be relatively true.

Edit: As a comment, there wasn't just a different amount of player decay.
There also was growth where the PS4 and Xbox One average online player end of December numbers trump the launch weekend numbers. I just don't have time to make a succinct graph.

Currently online players

yea.....

This post is from the thread when BF3 shipped 12 million and sold trough was 8 million (game went to ship over 20 million):
8 million sold yet less than 130k playing online across all platforms. Wtf!

I picked up the pc version during the black Friday sale. Returned the 360 version but might buy it again to play with a friend.... I dunno what to do.

Concurrent player stats tell jack shit about the sales of the game.

RedAssedApe

Banned
This post is from the thread when BF3 shipped 12 million and sold trough 8 million (game went to ship over 20 million):

is it a repost? cuz that post is on the first page of this thread heh

This post is from the thread when BF3 shipped 12 million and sold trough 8 million (game went to ship over 20 million):

Was waiting for a post like this lmaooooooo....

Concurrent players != amount sold.

This was a reply to big_z

darscot

I was interested in December about the split and how much gifts and the bundle would influence this so I tracked it for ~5 weeks after launch.

32sVVfh.png

Of course this only accounts for amount of players online simultaneously which is not a perfect match but the general breakdown should be relatively true.

Thanks for the info, this looks at what I expected, strong retention on console but a little fall off on PC. That makes sense to me as the game is a little "casual" for the PC market and its not going to have the same retention of a military shooter.

is it a repost? cuz that post is on the first page of this thread heh

I think you misunderstood my post. I quoted Crono27 from the first page and then quoted a old post from old BF3 thread that back then also wondered how game with so huge sales can have that low concurrent player stats. End result is that concurrent player stats don't usually tell anything about the sales of the game

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
To think that back in Sep/Oct there were people on GAF that thought 5m would be a stretch.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
If I've heard correctly, digital sales for retail releases is around 20 - 30%+; lower in Europe due to retailers being loss leaders and bringing more customers; also, Battlefront is slightly lower than the average due to the gift-deal.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I think you misunderstood my post. I quoted Crono27 from the first page and then quoted a old post from old BF3 thread that back then also wondered how game with so huge sales can have that low concurrent player stats. End result is that concurrent player stats don't usually tell anything about the sales of the game

ah yeah i misread haha

AC_Frog

#1 in the Western World and PS4/XB1 only.

Fun metric when you exclude two of your main competition's biggest money makers (WoW and Hearthstone)

Data is super interesting to me in how companies choose to highlight themselves.

Top Bottom