• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q3 FY 2015 Earnings Release

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Nintendo's first party attach rates are insane. Mario Kart 8 o_O

And I can't believe Animal Crossing HHD and Tri Force Heroes sold so much... I'm the biggest Zelda fan and can't bring myself to look at Tri Force Heroes twice, it's looks like such an incredibly lazy effort.

Happy Home Designer and Tri-Force Heroes are both stellar games.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Here are some photos from the Third-Quarter Earnings News Conference (this is NOT the Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing, that's on 10:00 AM JST Feb. 3):

tsumi_4xus0d.png

tsumi_7vas2e.png

tsumi_3vssjy.png

tsumi_8cjsvn.png

tsumi_264scx.png

tsumi_9mws4g.png

tsumi_16dsp8.png

tsumi_5gaspt.png

tsumi_6nfs2o.png

From Getty Images, courtesy of Bloomberg.

Mory Dunz

Ōkami;194033762 said:
What Wii U and 3DS games have sold for the fiscal year.
  1. [WIU] Splatoon: 4.060.000
  2. [WIU] Super Mario Maker: 3.340.000
  3. [WIU] Mario Kart 8: 2.130.000
  4. [WIU] Mario Party 10: 1.650.000
  5. [3DS] Pokémon Omega Ruby/ Pokémon Alpha Sapphire: 1.520.000
  6. [3DS] Mario Kart 7: 1.330.000
  7. [WIU] Yoshi's Woolly World: 1.310.000
  8. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS: 1.170.000
  9. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes: 1.080.000
  10. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf: 920.000
  11. [WIU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U: 910.000
  12. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2: 880.000
  13. [3DS] Tomodachi Life: 740.000
  14. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land: 630.000
  15. [3DS] Pokémon X/Pokémon Y: 610.000
  16. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World: 530.000
  17. [WIU] Nintendo Land : 340.000
  18. [WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U: 270.000
  19. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon: 270.000
  20. [WIU] New Super Luigi U: 220.000
  21. [WIU] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD: 170.000
Splatoon is the best selling Nintendo game for the fiscal year, while that's awesome news as a brand new game, on the Wii U is the best selling game, at the same time, 4m is a very low #1 for Nintendo standards.

Regarding their full year forecasts, they'll have no problem on matching their Wii U forecasts (even if just barely) but they'll be far away from 3DS forecasts one again, as every year so far.

Though, impressively, even 9 years later, Wii is still performing above Nintendo's expectations.

amiibo might make up for the underperforming 3DS and with Wii U just barely doing as expected they should meet their financial forecast without much trouble, though I expect them to lower their 3DS forecasts, mainly for software.

I'm actually surprised WWHD is still selling. Assuming there's no bundle anymore.

Rösti;194036861 said:
Here are some photos from the Third-Quarter Earnings News Conference (this is NOT the Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing, that's on 10:00 AM JST Feb. 3):

I like Kimi; he has that friendly old uncle vibe.

jariw

Ōkami;194033762 said:
What Wii U and 3DS games have sold for the fiscal year.
  1. [WIU] Splatoon: 4.060.000
  2. [WIU] Super Mario Maker: 3.340.000
  3. [WIU] Mario Kart 8: 2.130.000
  4. [WIU] Mario Party 10: 1.650.000
  5. [3DS] Pokémon Omega Ruby/ Pokémon Alpha Sapphire: 1.520.000
  6. [3DS] Mario Kart 7: 1.330.000
  7. [WIU] Yoshi's Woolly World: 1.310.000
  8. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS: 1.170.000
  9. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes: 1.080.000
  10. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf: 920.000
  11. [WIU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U: 910.000
  12. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2: 880.000
  13. [3DS] Tomodachi Life: 740.000
  14. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land: 630.000
  15. [3DS] Pokémon X/Pokémon Y: 610.000
  16. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World: 530.000
  17. [WIU] Nintendo Land : 340.000
  18. [WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U: 270.000
  19. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon: 270.000
  20. [WIU] New Super Luigi U: 220.000
  21. [WIU] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD: 170.000

There seems to be errors on this list. Happy Home Designer and Xenoblade X would be located somewhere on the list, and Mario Party 10 started selling during the last weeks of the last fiscal year. (MP10 was not a fiscal-year one-million seller in Nintendo's own report.)

vareon

I mean he isn't wrong. Nintendo needs to create more new IPs.

They create new IPs time to time with various success (Xenoblade series, poor Codename STEAM, Dillon, Pushmo, etc). Their bigger problem is letting their existing IP to wideraudience, which is basically the objective of their smartphone expansion.

Roo

Yea no ... they create plenty of new IPs on a regular basis. Just not many of them have that mass appeal and big success and gigantic push that Splaoon had and still has now.
You know that's exactly what he meant with that comment, come on.

Tatsumi Kimishima actually looks pretty charming in those pictures (he smiles!), a good difference from those stern pictures that came out when the news broke of him becoming president.

Even though the first video footage of Metroid Prime Federation Force looked poor, I really want it to be a great game! A good Metroid title on 3DS would be very welcome.

The Wii U's big sellers have a fine attach rate, but these are personally not games that would sell me on the system.

Some people are legitimately happy with their Wii U, but its games library doesn't appeal to many people. If Nintendo wants a non-niche platform, they have a lot of work to do.

I love the 3DS library, but Pokemon Y and Mario Kart 7 were by far the most disappointing titles I've played on it. I'm slightly removed from the mainstream Nintendo gamer in that respect.

The DS remains the peak of third-party handheld support, and is pretty much the best Nintendo platform in my mind.

Sterok

Mario Kart was the second best selling game on the N64, Gamecube, and Wii. The Wii U has finally given it the time to shine as the peak of its console.

It was also the fourth best selling GBA game, third best selling DS game, and now the second best selling 3DS game. I guess this means Mario Kart will top the next handheld.

ngower

HHD sold that many and I still can't find a cheap code (after selling my own code for cheap when I got the system).

Shocked that the amiibo cards are doing as well as they are. And good lord Mario Kart 8.

Elandyll

Banned
What cracks me up is the very idea of old business men sitting around a table talking numbers about a videogame featuring squid girls shooting ink...

ghnsu5.jpg

That thing sold How Much?

Nintendo first party stuff slating as usual. Nice job, but lol at some of the fanboy flames being blown in here.

Can't wait to see what NX really is.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Nintendo's TTM digital revenue declined.

1 January 2014 - 31 December 2014: ¥41.6 billion
1 January 2015 - 31 December 2015: ¥40.7 billion (-2.2%)

Not huge, but one example of digital revenue shrinking.

KingWool

Banned

Well maybe they should stop being so damn stingy with their digital pricing.

Vena

Well maybe they should stop being so damn stingy with their digital pricing.

This is because their overall software revenue declined due to a weak holiday for new titles. Their digital ratio has continued to increase year over year.

Nine months ended December 31, 2015 Software Revenue: 185.410 billion yen
Of which digital: 30.5 billion yen
Digital shares: 16.4%

Nine months ended Dec. 31, 2014 Software Revenue: 207.128 billion yen
Of which digital: 21.1 billion yen
Digital share: 10.1%

AniHawk

Surprise, surprise. At the end of the generation, both Mario Kart and Splatoon will top the Wii U software charts. Also known as the only Wii U flagships that didn't feel like some hacks ran their last gen iterations through Dolphin and called it a day.
Hopefully that finally shows even the last clowns at the Nintendo management that they need to go back making a diverse and ambitious lineup (for NX), instead of phoning it in into enternity only because NSMB and certain minigame collections sold really well a decade ago.

nsmbu and super mario 3d world outsold splatoon

jvm

Gamasutra.
This is because their overall software revenue declined due to a weak holiday for new titles. Their digital ratio has continued to increase year over year.
That's fine, but an increasing share of a shrinking pie can only go so far.

Nintendo needs platforms that don't feel so moribund.

Vena

That's fine, but an increasing share of a shrinking pie can only go so far.

Nintendo needs platforms that don't feel so moribund.

? Yes this is obvious but the point I was making was that saying without context that digital revenue declined is half-information. Software revenue declined, period. Their digital to retail sales ratio has increased.

ASIS

What can we expect from the financial results briefing? I only know them through the Q&As but I don't know if there is anything else that's worthwhile there.

Cipherr

mario kart wii (wii): 36.53m
mario kart ds (ds): 23.59m
mario kart 7 (3ds): 13.03m
mario kart 64 (n64): 9.87m
super mario kart (snes): 8.76m
mario kart 8 (wii u): 7.24m
mario kart double dash (gc): 6.88m
mario kart super circuit (gba): 5.91m

Get wreckt Polygon.

My favorite game of the generation so far. Its by far the best Mario Kart game ever. Hell the best Kart racer period at this point. Easily.

Success is deserved. Also so glad I never seem to have posted that Splatoon was going to flop. I was thinking it, but I cannot find a post where I actually SAID it so Im glad! LMAO.

Pandy

Just a guess, but I'd bet that the MK8 DLC was hugely popular in 2014, while the SSB4 DLC is more of a pick and mix affair.

Do we know if that includes digital revenue from third-party games too? An ageing library with more games at sale prices might have an impact there, without a major influx of new full-price games to keep average prices high.

Is this one of the ones where stockholders ask asinine questions?

"I saw someone smile while holding a stick three years ago. Nintendo should expand into the stick business."

Top Bottom