• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arslan: The Warriors of Legend to be the first DECENT KT PC port ?

arslan-launchercombined-640x352.jpg

Courtesy of PCinvasion:
http://www.pcinvasion.com/arslan-the-warriors-of-legend-pc-version-impressions

It seems the game support beyond 1080p resolutions. And is based on PS4 version. Sadly, they decided that for the one game that will bomb. I'll never understand you Koei-Tecmo :")

Tizoc

Too little too late i'm sad to say but what are the negatives of this game from a gameplay pov?

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Did not expect that, like at all.
Why Arslan though? Why couldn't it have been done for DQheroes :(

DrArchon

Reading the article, it sounds like this isn't a perfect port but it's definitely a step in the right direction for KT. Good for them! I want to support their games, but I can't support shoddy ports. Let's hope they fully get this whole PC thing sorted out in time for DQH2.

At least this isn't using PS3 assets again for some unfathomable reason.

Too little too late i'm sad to say but what are the negatives of this game from a gameplay pov?

I heard it's not good. It seems that for KT, the worse the game is, the better the port is. I think Bladestorm also supported resolution beyond 1080p.

The article also mentions that the reviewer didn't manage to hit 60 fps.
Ever.
Even while running at sub 480p resolutions.
Hope that's just a driver/AMD issue.

I heard it's not good. It seems that for KT, the worse the game is, the better the port is. I think Bladestorm also supported resolution beyond 1080p.

Yeah. Bladestorm was actually a pretty great port. Its just strange that the mediocre games get good ports while the actual good games like DQH or OP PW3 get broken ports.

It would be this game that they care about. Maybe this will increase the amount of people that care about it by another 1 or 2 on top of the dozen that already do.

DrArchon

Too bad it seems like they're gonna do a good port for what sounds and looks like a bad game.

Is it bad? I know nothing about the source material, but I like the artstyle. My only Warriors experience is with Hyrule Warriors, which I loved to death. How does this compare to that?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
How is this game, by the way? Comes out today, right, but I've heard very little about it. Looks nice, seems to have a decent selection of characters for a Musou, but given I have no connection to the source-material I'm hesitant.

Being that I'm a huge fan of the warriors title. This game lacks in the content department, and from what I've read this game has a ton of DLC's... No thanks, I'll wait for Samurai Warriors 4 Empire.

Durante

Well, that's nice.

Is it Omega Force?
If so, I believe it's the first game on their engine to support > 1080p rendering.

tuxfool

Banned
The article also mentions that the reviewer didn't manage to hit 60 fps.
Ever.
Even while running at sub 480p resolutions.
Hope that's just a driver/AMD issue.

Nah. Despite the fact that AMD drivers are heavier on the CPU than Nvidia's drivers, at 480p that game should be screaming, even on a 380 (considering the CPU isn't netbook class).

Durante

I'd still rather have a broader set of performance reports than a single PC. If it's CPU limited resolution wouldn't make a difference.

I'd still rather have a broader set of performance reports than a single PC. If it's CPU limited resolution wouldn't make a difference.

If the price is right, I can give some impressions later.

I just wish they would fix their old ports too if that game runs well. Its so strange seeing such a game that will surely bomb having a good port (hopefully) and not the actual games that could sell well with a proper port.
I mean the same happened to Bladestorm. Compared to all the other K-T ports, that was actually the one with the least problems.

If the price is right, I can give some impressions later.

I just wish they would fix their old ports too if that game runs well. Its so strange seeing such a game that will surely bomb having a good port (hopefully) and not the actual games that could sell well with a proper port.
I mean the same happened to Bladestorm. Compared to all the other K-T ports, that was actually the one with the least problems.

It's 60€ with a 10% discount at launch. It's now available (yay stealth release !)

Taruranto

I still think it's so weird this is getting released at all, I can't see it selling well even on consoles.

I wonder what are KT expectations.

poncle

I really wanted to get this game, then I've seen the inflated price.

Digital PC version is 25% more expensive than PS4 physical version.

ezodagrom

KT actually improving when it comes to their ports while Bamco pulls out two mediocre (or even bad in the case of Symphonia) ports...?

Man, I want to buy this but I just cannot understand why KT prices their PC versions so high. £49.99 is £10-£20 more expensive than even big releases on Steam and more than new PS4 games.

I am curious to see if they are getting better with porting to PC though.

Edit: I'm weak and might buy it anyway if the port is good because I suck and like Warriors.

JCG

Based on past experiences, I'd prefer to play the better K-T games even with slightly to moderately worse ports rather than a weaker game with a somewhat superior port.

Which means I am not too likely to purchase this, with or without a significant sale.

Okay. Played like 30 minutes now.
My specs:

i5-4570k
AMD Radeon 280x
16GB RAM
W10 64bit

Game settings: Everything high, VSync 1

4k is impossible. It runs at about 10fps. 1080p runs at 60fps, but has a lot of micro stuttering. I guess because of my GPU. Some slowdowns dont actually make much sense, since these happen in cutscenes.

Here are some screens:

D3E06D3E68E37E66ED97C8FF95A088606B831041

E0DA43A8FC8DBA313E433038683EAE6583DF4DF0

855FE708F3B256D61EF7F524005394738DF8CBFA

BCA52A2C63B35399CB8A423FAF1CF9E80E8E33E6

4K screen:

DB339D4EE1F7292D745850F766B0D407EA0BCD68

As you can see the aliasing is kinda annoying in 1080p, while its not that bad in 4k. The thing is the only AA option is "On/Off".
And if you do a "Musou"-kind of attack, where you will see like 300/400 soldiers on screen, the game runs really bad on my PC.

Just judging by the 30 minutes it seems to be actually a far better port than the ones I played before. I mean it has performance issues (at least on my PC), but if K-T can fix those, the game is actually quite nice. I joined one MP game and had no issues.
The button prompts are all the Xbox Button prompts and not some obscure icons.

I would say if most future K-T ports will be like that, people can continue to buy their games on Steam again. Right now to me the most problems the port has seem to be performance problems. But that might be the AMD card. Another thing: The game really renders a lot of enemies. When you do the first mission you really see hundreds of enemies, especially when you activate the "musou" power.
The game itself uses about 40-50% of my CPU.

The game itself:

Feels like a step back from their other games. What is really annoying is, that after the character landed after a jump, he stays still for like half a second and you cant do anything. Its a bit strange, since it wasnt like this in SW2 or One Piece.

Okay. Played like 30 minutes now.
My specs:

i5-4570k
AMD Radeon 280x
16GB RAM
W10 64bit

Game settings: Everything high, VSync 1

4k is impossible. It runs at about 10fps. 1080p runs at 60fps, but has a lot of micro stuttering. I guess because of my GPU. Some slowdowns dont actually make much sense, since these happen in cutscenes.

Here are some screens:

As you can see the aliasing is kinda annoying in 1080p, while its not that bad in 4k. The thing is the only AA option is "On/Off".
And if you do a "Musou"-kind of attack, where you will see like 300/400 soldiers on screen, the game runs really bad on my PC.

Just judging by the 30 minutes it seems to be actually a far better port than the ones I played before. I mean it has performance issues (at least on my PC), but if K-T can fix those, the game is actually quite nice. I joined one MP game and had no issues.
The button prompts are all the Xbox Button prompts and not some obscure icons.

I would say if most future K-T ports will be like that, people can continue to buy their games on Steam again. Right now to me the most problems the port has seem to be performance problems. But that might be the AMD card. Another thing: The game really renders a lot of enemies. When you do the first mission you really see hundreds of enemies, especially when you activate the "musou" power.

The game itself:

Feels like a step back from their other games. What is really annoying is, that after the character landed after a jump, he stays still for like half a second and you cant do anything. Its a bit strange, since it wasnt like this in SW2 or One Piece.

I lost an eye on these 1080p screens :')
If you plan to play it longer, you should try to apply SMAA with Reshade. Worked pretty well for me with DQ Heroes.

I lost an eye on these 1080p screens :')
If you plan to play it longer, you should try to apply SMAA with Reshade. Worked pretty well for me with DQ Heroes.

The problem with the AA in that game isnt really the enviroment. The AA works fine on every enviroment model. The cellshading makes it look horrible.

On 4k it was okay, but it really ran bad in 4k.

massoluk

Banned
Has Jim Sterling, the most trusted name in Musou reviews, said anything about this game?
Was hoping this will tie my over until SW 4 Empire.

Has Jim Sterling, the most trusted name in Musou reviews, said anything about this game?
Was hoping this will tie my over until SW 4 Empire.

Just playing one map shortly in MP and the first 3 maps including the tutorial map it feels slower than the newer DW and Musou spinoffs. I would say it might feel kinda "stiff". Like I said. If you jump and land, your character stands still for like half a second (maybe less) and if you attack, you cant really move much unlike OP PW3.

Does this end in the same spot where the first season of the anime ended?

I'm curious about this too just to know if I should stop and save at some point to avoid some spoilers, when I pick it up later. The pushstart review seems to imply it given how they talk about the ending not really being an ending. And the character list looks like it since the wikia only lists characters that we've seen in the 25 episodes so far when I looked at it for a moment.

Is it bad? I know nothing about the source material, but I like the artstyle. My only Warriors experience is with Hyrule Warriors, which I loved to death. How does this compare to that?

Haven't played it yet but judging from the reviews since you liked another musou and you like Arakawa's designs, as long as you are ready for another one it seems like you might like it. It sounds like the story mode is pretty decent and the first season of the anime had a really good story and some cool characters.

I still think it's so weird this is getting released at all, I can't see it selling well even on consoles.

I wonder what are KT expectations.

As long as they have small expectations for it, I can understand it since the combination of Arakawa's art, to those that have watched the show or FMA, and the anime being probably not overly far off from blu-ray release here since it was one of the simuldubbed series might help it sell a few extra copies over the course of the year.

How is this game? I'd be down for some anime musou
From playing the PS4 version for an hour right now:
- it looks like ass. It's a step back from SW4 or DW8XL visually. The cel shaded look could work with less aliasing and better delineation.
- it plays okay, mostly depending on your character.
- the story missions are fairly well structured, objective-wise and all that.
- they went out of their way to recreate faithfully the story. It's great on that front.
- it's an awesome story and universe. Playing a Lu Bu like Daryun who yells "Yasashin" when launching his Musou is great if you're into Arslan.

I'd say if you're into Arslan and Musou (that intersection of all twelve of us lol), and you're looking for a new Musou to scratch that itch, go for it.

If you're only into one of the two, you might want to wait for a sale, which should occur within the next six weeks, after they've sold all 47 of their copies in the West.

FWIW, there's a demo on PS4.

Top Bottom