• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XV - Niflheim Base Battle Footage

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could be right. But a new mainline FF is still a big deal. So i'm looking at this from the perspective that Sony really hasn't had the co-marketing for any big RPG's this gen. The Witcher 3, Fallout, and DAI have all been marketed by MS. This will be the first big RPG that Sony will presumably have a shot at. And Sony's LE's really do seem to be made in limited quantities. It seems like they're all gone a week or so after they release. So it's not like they'd have any issues selling them.

At this point I see FFXV, GT Sport, and Horizon as the games most likely to get a US LE. And if all three got one it means they'd be equal to how many Sony made last year.

I don't see them doing a CoD LE every year unless it's something that Activision put in as a requirement in the contract. Last year made sense as it was Sony trying to link the brand to it. I think they'll still do a basic bundle, similarly to the TLoU:R or Uncharted Collection, where it's just the basic console with a copy of the game. But i'd be sorta surprised if they do another LE. Well, unless it's some sort of Modern Warfare reboot since this is going to be IW's game. That'd be a different story. Ghosts 2? Nah. :p
2016 is far more stacked than 2015, so Sony should be doing more. I'm sure the next COD will likely be one of them as well.

Mediking

Don't forget FF XV has Resident Evil vibes. There's blood on the ground and I bet creepy monsters are watching from afar! :p

044541.jpg

And let's not forget Nintendo's Petey Piranha is in FF XV!!! :p

FINAL-FANTASY-XV-1-800x445.jpg

latest

And yes, I know that's a Marlboro! XD

Maybe it's that what made previous FF so great was its old school gameplay and graphics, a bit of a mystical feeling when you play, now its guys driving cars and using high tech technology in modern times, doesn't resonant the same feeling.

Many, if anything, MOST FF games have had times of the mystical and magic, even in worlds of technology. Worlds of technology don't destroy areas and concepts of wonder. Especially considering the concepts regarding FFXV's world, it's belief in oracles, the the Star Sickness, crystal structures, god-like summons and the legendary power of an ancestral lineage sword summoners.... that's ALL pretty fuckin inline with the kind of magic and mystery this series is known for, since the early era. If anything, the magic and mystery, mystical aspects, as well as use of "strange technology" has been a standard in the FF series since the first game, with it's friendly robots and Warmech roaming a floating sky palace. It might teeter a bit MORE one way or the other at times, but this kind of concept and melding of technology and magic has existed in the series and has constantly been a theme to the worlds within this series since day one, all those years ago in 1987.

Don't forget FF XV has Resident Evil vibes. There's blood on the ground and I bet creepy monsters are watching from afar! :p

044541.jpg

And let's not forget Nintendo's Petey Piranha is in FF XV!!! :p

FINAL-FANTASY-XV-1-800x445.jpg

latest

And yes, I know that's a Marlboro! XD

That dungeon looks wild! Cool that there are going to be dungeons to explore, and some(like the goblin Cave in Duscae) are optional. Basically, you could just be fartin' around, running and exploring at your own leisure and then stumble upon the entrance to an optional dungeon.

And the Marlboro, to me, looks like a cross between the Marlboro(Oscar) designs in FFVI and the designs of the FFX Marlboros. It has a wider head like the FFVI ones(also has the sneer), but also has thorny-type teeth like the FFX ones.

latest

latest

Noctis will usher Final Fantasy into a new Era.. XV has come to.

In all seriousness I wonder if he really does. Whether SE goes forward with only action based gameplay, if they go BACK to ATB or some sort of turn base or try and include both gameplay systems some how or if they continue the Type series as an action oriented parallel to the series and mainline FF just keeps kinda changing.

I need XV and to know that Ito is alive and working on XVI.

As excited as I am for XV, I am almost just as excited to finally see something brand new that we have never seen before with (hopefully) XVI

Why not? Every Final Fantasy has been different for a long, long time now. Fans need to learn to embrace change.

Now we need you to tell that to that Collin guy from Kindafunny games. He seemed to have a very negative outlook on how FF keeps on reinventing itself. I don't see his point at all though.

Edit: From the video podcast link.

chozen

Now we need you to tell that to that Collin guy from Kindafunny games. He seemed to have a very negative outlook on how FF keeps on reinventing itself. I don't see his point at all though.

Grumpy old man who thinks turn based/atb defines final fantasy, met him in person with his partner IGN Ryan Clements back in the day (when they worked there). Didn't care for him as much as I did Ryan lol.

Which ones has he even played?

All of the old ones apparently like 1-10 and tried some of 13

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
In the video he said he was a I-IX player and X/XII but he didn't finish XIII or something. He was complaining a lot and it became quite unbearable to watch. He even called Episode Duscae a waste of time.

Oh... he didn't play XIV?
I mean even with the ones he did play they all changed from game to game for the most part.

I mean they even joke on the stream that nothing is for Colin anymore which is pretty accurate. I like him for being the opposite of Greg but him being negative all the time bums me out.

Oh... he didn't play XIV?
I mean even with the ones he did play they all changed from game to game for the most part.

He very openly doesn't play any multiplayer games. So no to XI or XIV.

AyanFaust

Banned
In the video he said he was a I-IX player and X/XII but he didn't finish XIII or something. He was complaining a lot and it became quite unbearable to watch. He even called Episode Duscae a waste of time.

Really? Duscae had it's problems, but calling it a waste of time almost feels objectively wrong. Oh well, I had a lot of fun with it.

sappyday

I really do think it's just the combat that are throwing people off. If it had the turn base no one would be saying "it's not a FF game anymore" and if someone mentions "why are there cars?" then it's safe to assume that person isn't a FF fan in the first place and shouldn't be complaining about it.

AyanFaust

Banned
I'm pretty sure he was referring to the patch of the demo was a waste of time.

That would make a bit more sense, but considering they were trying to get feedback on the systems, and the fact that the combat looks a lot better now(imo), I would say it was probably worth it.

DOWN

Banned
Okay but do we agree the vignette effect was too strong in Duscae? And it had like a weird low contrast/brightness compared to my other games so I had to adjust my tv a bunch

I really do think it's just the combat that are throwing people off. If it had the turn base no one would be saying "it's not a FF game anymore" and if someone mentions "why are there cars?" then it's safe to assume that person isn't a FF fan in the first place and shouldn't be complaining about it.

Exactly. While people could make the argument that if it would have stayed Versus they wouldn't have that problem but also the fact that people are still begging for turn-based at this point with this game is just ridiculous.

I really feel like this is the game to continue this revival of FF with the turn around of XIV being the beginning.

I really can't believe one game sullied FF so much. Well 3 but still...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I mean they even joke on the stream that nothing is for Colin anymore which is pretty accurate. I like him for being the opposite of Greg but him being negative all the time bums me out.

He very openly doesn't play any multiplayer games. So no to XI or XIV.

I'll listen to it in a bit.

I can't recall if he actually says something about his lack of playing multiplayer games in there but he does all the time in KF. He just calls XI and XIV not FFs solely on the fact that they are MMOs

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward had a story that was exactly like FF. By the time I got to Azys Lla, I was already feeling like I was going to meet the final boss. It was an epic storyline. I would most definitely call FFXIV an FF, even if it isn't a mothership title. I did not feel like the base game was FF though. Minfillia ordering you around is not FF territory :p *laughs*

Sigh. This simply is not true.

That's the thing some people don't view those games like that do to their MMO nature which is a bunch of nonsense. I'll admit it's not my cup of tea but those games are FF as it gets.. hell if you want a classic experience try 14.

That's the thing some people don't view those games like that do to their MMO nature which is a bunch of nonsense. I'll admit it's not my cup of tea but those games are FF as it gets.. hell if you want a classic experience try 14.

Yeah I loved XIV and the expansion. They were for sure FFs. I never played XI (the only mainline I have never played :(

But I mean in Colin's defense he does realize and accept that these games just aren't for him anymore. In the stream he even says he thinks it will be a good game just a game he personally won't enjoy.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yeah I loved XIV and the expansion. They were for sure FFs. I never played XI (the only mainline I have never played :(

But I mean in Colin's defense he does realize and accept that these games just aren't for him anymore. In the stream he even says he thinks it will be a good game just a game he personally won't enjoy.

As long as he recognizes this, then I think that's fair.

Falk

that puzzling face
I think the main hangup people have over XI and XIV, especially in a franchise with a history more than 25 years old is that in, say, 20 years, even if the servers are still up you're not going to be able to go back and play them and have the same experience, not the least of which is the social interaction. This is true for every game-as-a-service type deal, all the way up to Record Keeper.

But on the flipside, considering that when people nowadays (talking about generally, accessibility being a huge factor, etc) play anything from I-VI, and soon VII having that option, they aren't playing the original incarnations, 20 years down the road if the services for XI and XIV are discontinued, I'd bet that the stories/world/etc will still be playable in some form or another, ideally a legacy single player retelling.

Obvious disclaimer that this is speculation/wild soothsaying on my part

edit: dem embarassing typos

I think the main hangup people have over XI and XIV, especially in a franchise with a history more than 25 years old is that in, say, 20 years, even if the servers are still up you're not going to be able to go back and play them and have the same experience, least of which is the social interaction. This is true for every game-as-a-service type deal, all the way up to Record Keeper.

But on the flipside, considering that when people nowadays (talking about generally, accessibility being a huge factor, etc) play anything from I-VI, and soon VII having that option, they aren't playing the original incarnations, 20 years down the road if the services for XI and XIV are discontinued, I'd bet that the stories/world/etc will still be playable in some form or another, ideally a legacy single player retelling.

I would love for XI or XIV to be retold in a single player setting down the line if the services are shut off, which they most likely will be one day. Which makes me quite sad, I really hope we don't lose any FFs to history and we haven't yet and I doubt SE every let's that happen but I feel that MMOs are a whole different animal in preserving.

Also feels weird without MNight and wmlk :(

Maniel

Banned
I think the main hangup people have over XI and XIV, especially in a franchise with a history more than 25 years old is that in, say, 20 years, even if the servers are still up you're not going to be able to go back and play them and have the same experience, least of which is the social interaction. This is true for every game-as-a-service type deal, all the way up to Record Keeper.

That would be great. I never got into FFXI, but if they could someday remake it as a single player experience I would buy it day 1. DQX should also do this eventually so that the west actually has a chance at one day playing it. Obviously this is all speculation, but I hope that you are correct.

Night_Knight

Unconfirmed Member
Kind of peculiar that some don't regard this as a FF game. I understand that every instalment typically undergoes a big change each time. As for who this game is trying to appeal to, I don't really know. I came from a KH background and dipped into FFVII. It's appealing to me XD The original Versus XII trailer had Deep Dive vibes for me but you know, more grounded.

Falk

that puzzling face
That one's still dependent on servers not going down though ;p

But yeah, exactly what I'm talking about, considering XI is in its twilight.

Shamdeo

That one's still dependent on servers not going down though ;p

But yeah, exactly what I'm talking about, considering XI is in its twilight.

Yeah, most mobile games with online components similar Grandmasters don't seem to last more than a year or two.

I'm sure there would be small communities that would keep private servers of Final Fantasy XI going after Square Enix completely ends service.

It's interesting from a preservation standpoint though - I mean, if Square Enix were to spend resources to make FFXI a solo-able, offline experience through and through, could that experience faithfully reflect the 13 years of the multiplayer game that "was"?

Falk

that puzzling face
It's really hard to say. In the end Square Enix is a business, and I dunno if a potential legacy (lack of better word) remake of XI and XIV, good as they are, could justify the resources going into, say, episodic VIIr.

edit: And in the end it's still a wildly different experience from the MMO services as they are today. It'd be like purchasing an album vs going to a concert.

It's really hard to say. In the end Square Enix is a business, and I dunno if a potential legacy (lack of better word) remake of XI and XIV, good as they are, could justify the resources going into, say, episodic VIIr.

touching upon the episodic VIIr do we have an idea of how many episodes there are yet?

JBwB

So I was looking at some of the older posts in this thread and I came upon this image.

This image reminded me of the map they showed at the TGS 2015 Active Time Report (Potential spoiler if you enlarge).

Compare the two images. If that TGS map is only the duscae region then the game is truly massive. Makes you wonder just how many of these bases will be in the full game.

Dark_castle

044541.jpg

I've always hoped that FFXV would continue the trend set by FFVII and to a lesser extent, FFVIII to include some modern horror element into the mix. When I first learnt that the night time of FFXV was designed to be utterly dark like in Dragon's Dogma, I was thrilled by the prospect of them including side quests such as exploring abandoned mansion or ruin in a middle of a deserted forest, stuff like that. I love it when JRPG isn't afraid to be creative in this department, borrowing elements from survival horror to create some nice atmosphere and tension at times. One of my favorite JRPG series of all-time is Shadow Hearts, which is just that.

Famassu

Compare the two images. If that TGS map is only the duscae region then the game is truly massive. Makes you wonder just how many of these bases will be in the full game.
That is probably just Duscae. I'd imagine the game will have maybe 6 massive areas like that (Duscae, maybe one for Tenebrae, one for Accordo, one for Solheim, one for Niflheim, one for Lucis) and maybe some smaller separate regions on the edges of or connecting those bigger areas.

touching upon the episodic VIIr do we have an idea of how many episodes there are yet?

Probably not going to be revealed for a while how many episodes there are. Didn't they say only the script for the first is complete? Kagari can clarify this if not. I would wager it is going to be around 3-4 episodes if one episode is about 20 hours. I'm actually not sure if it will be like a tv series where we pay for each individually (RE rev 2 comes to mind). I'm hoping it is a full 60 dollar purchase and we get the episodes through time but I doubt it. I'm trying not to focus on the remake though. I'm all about FFXV now until the remake has more info.

So I was looking at some of the older posts in this thread and I came upon this image.

This image reminded me of the map they showed at the TGS 2015 Active Time Report (Potential spoiler if you enlarge).

Yeah, I see multiple roads in that first pic. Considering how much distance covered that one road in the demo seemed to extend, the areas in this game are definitely going to feel expansive.

DeSolos

It would seem the Duscae region is just the brown chunk in the middle with possibly Lucil(???wasteland outside Lucis?) on the right.

If that brown chunk is Duscae, that alone is as big as the city of Los Santos* in GTAV. It's mostly open land out there obviously, but still, it's very massive.

*measured this about a month ago by using the menu glitch to get to roughly where Caem is. I then used a checkpoint set on the gas station to get a measurement which was about 5km(3.1 miles) which is about how long the Los Santos portion of GTAV is diagonally. Let alone the fact that the gas station doesn't represent the furthest you could go north within the boundaries of that brown chunk of the map.

EDIT:
Measurement in question:

dottme

I would love for XI or XIV to be retold in a single player setting down the line if the services are shut off, which they most likely will be one day. Which makes me quite sad, I really hope we don't lose any FFs to history and we haven't yet and I doubt SE every let's that happen but I feel that MMOs are a whole different animal in preserving.

Also feels weird without MNight and wmlk :(

If they release XIV in a solo experience, I probably buy it. I kind of really like my experience with XIV except when I have to deal with other players.
I normally take my time in the dungeon but each time, everyone was rushing.

Famassu

It would seem the Duscae region is just the brown chunk in the middle with possibly Lucil(???wasteland outside Lucis?) on the right.

If that brown chunk is Duscae, that alone is as big as the city of Los Santos* in GTAV. It's mostly open land out there obviously, but still, it's very massive.

*measured this about a month ago by using the menu glitch to get to roughly where Caem is. I then used a checkpoint set on the gas station to get a measurement which was about 5km(3.1 miles) which is about how long the Los Santos portion of GTAV is diagonally. Let alone the fact that the gas station doesn't represent the furthest you could go north within the boundaries of that brown chunk of the map.
You can see a part of Lucis in the North East corner of the map. That whole thing is probably Duscae. Remember that they did say that the demo area is only (less than?) ~1/10th of the whole Duscae region. The map that shows areas beyond Episode Duscae could be said to be roughly 1/3rd of that TGS map that shows whole Duscae.

Another thing to note, but it'd seem like the area north of Duscae isn't explorable. There are no roads there. Its topography is shown in that one world map model image of FFXV but it seems like that might not be an actual explorable, perhaps confirming that not all of the land mass seen in that world map model is something they've actually added into the game's world (I mean, it's obvious that not all of it was going to be explorable, but that area north of Duscae extended the world map to the North so much that you'd imagine there's something there). On the other hand, it doesn't show any roads on the side of Lucis either, so not sure what's going on with that.

Mortemis

Banned
God damn is this game gonna be huge. I don't see anything wrong with that, it's not like Noctis and crew are gonna jog throughout the entire game. We'll probably skip a decent amount of the map too with it being explorable if you choose to. Especially since we'll be taking trains through the map too.

I drool and the prospect of an airship. Please god.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom