• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #182 - "Lies and Damned Lies"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkBeard

This Is Unfinished, as in not edited

Necessary Casualties
usual password

it would be too long, i wasn't sure where i wanted to go with it, and i kind of lost the plot. but i kind of like the dialogue.

was supposed to go bad, the plane is shot down, they have to rescue the crew and extract, but some characters die, because the higher ups didn't give them all the information.

Can you pm me the password? I tried looking in past threads with little luck.

Mike M

Nick N
Honestly anyone who didn't immediately recognize it as a portion of the Mark Twain quote should probably just go home : P

Well, at least those of us on US soil.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Honestly anyone who didn't immediately recognize it as a portion of the Mark Twain quote should probably just go home : P

Well, at least those of us on US soil.

Ouch! I'm sorry I don't read ur dead steam boat
failures!
I was too busy reading dumb victorian romance epics.

mu cephei

Villains on Necessity

2050 words approx.

That'll teach me not to read over what I've written before submitting. In case anyone was wondering wtf was happening near the top of page six:
it's Moll plus those she returns with (Jensen, the two girls, the woman) who Beck ties up.

Nezumi

Time to wake up and write I suppose. I mean wake Nezumi up. I've personally written hundreds of drafts. Hundreds!

*sends out the cat signal*

I'm up! I'm up! Still not sure what I'm going to write, but I expect a story idea to ring at my door any second now.
*waits*
Aaaaaany second now...

I don't see anything about grace periods in the OP...

Have mercy on us...

Ashes

Banned
Reading 20k+ in a couple of days used to be such a chore. Now, I just see it as reading a good short story book or a literary magazine to start the week of with. :p

Red

I need to find a program that converts these submissions to speech. That way I could listen to them while I'm moving around.

Ashes

Banned
Even with audio books, I like seeing the words on the page. Whether it is sentence structure or paragraph formations or something else altogether I don't know.
Can't say that it isn't nice being read to. ;)

Red

I don't disagree with you. One of my favorite things about writing is experimenting with ways to parse info and create mood with formatting and rhythm in punctuation, but ultimately, in storytelling, the content is what's important, and however I can get that content conveyed to my puny mind-brain will work just as well as anything else.

Mike M

Nick N
I actually just signed up for a trial with Audible with the thought that I'd listen while driving, chores, etc.

I'm not sure I'm going to continue, though. While cheaper than buying audio books straight up, the prices are still incredibly unappealing, and the subscription fee wipes a lot of the savings unless you're buying several books per month. But I can buy two to three times as many books for the same price, and I can read them when I'm not driving. That was the biggest discovery for me, that I was wanting to continue the book, but couldn't just pop in my ear buds and ignore my wife while staring off into space as someone reads a book to me.

Red

Audible saved my life.

lm0p7kY.jpg

Nezumi

This is why reading stuf from authors long dead has a benefit. Librivox is pretty OK sometimes.

Yup, I remember the reader of Peter Pan doing a really good job for example but it can be a bit hit and miss at times. I personally love audiobooks and in fact can't rarely fall asleep without listening to one. Audible has been a godsend in this regard.

MilkBeard

It's amazing to look back and see all the archived challenges and stories. And how people have progressed, and how amazingly, some of you have been around since the beginning. I suppose if I ever need something to do, I'll just peruse the archives.

One problem I have is that I never stick to something long enough to see it all the way through. I can start off anything with intense passion, but it is always short lived. I think sticking with these challenges I could perhaps learn some damned discipline.

As for the critiques, it's taking me longer than I thought. I started doing it, but there are many stories...phew. I'll finish it tomorrow hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom