• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 games. 1 Year. 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreoleo

The List!
Full Impressions

13. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - 14 Hours
Tz1sxvn.jpg

And so begins my journey through the Metal Gear series! Having played the majority of them only once over the course of the past 15 years it seemed like a fun idea to run through them all in chronological order to see for myself how the story fits together. With Snake Eater being the fan favorite of the series, it's hard to view it with an objective eye. But I have to say, maybe I'm just shit at the game, but I find the gameplay remarkably uneven. Some of the mechanics involving soft or hard presses of the face buttons feel like an anachronism of a fortunately bygone era. Specifically, keeping an enemy in a hold without accidentally slicing his throat felt like an impossibility. The bigger offense , however, is that the camo index is entirely unintuitive for the jungle areas. What's the difference between 70 or 80 or 95% camouflage? It's impossible to tell whether an enemy will actually see you or not until it's too late. And after being spotted in a patch of grass, there's really nothing to be done at that point except shoot it out or run away, neither of which is satisfying in a game that enforces stealth like this one does. Being aware of the Sorrow encounter, shooting my way out of situations was a non-starter in my mind. So that left me with alternatively scrambling for a crawl space to hide under, and subsequently twiddling my thumbs for upwards of 90 seconds until the alert dissipated (leading me to reach for my smart phone to browse GAF until it did) or run out in the open and let the enemies shoot me down so I could start back at the most recent checkpoint, which ALSO takes longer than it should. Snake is built like a tank and can take dozens of bullets before going down, so if one were so inclined you could probably sprint through a majority of the game with little worry. Simply put, this feels like a failure of game and/or level design. Oh how I longed for a simple "Restart Checkpoint" option to save myself equal parts time and frustration! Fortunately, this became less and less of a problem as the game went on and removed itself from forest scenery. Sneaking around the Shagohod base was the highlight of the game and I had little trouble maintaining stealth there in spite of the increased enemy count. In contrast to the uneven gameplay, the story throughout is a delight. Starting from the excellent title sequence and theme song, I loved how the game was styled as a classic James Bond movie. Eva as the Bond girl, Boss as the personal antagonist, all framed against a US vs Russia political intrigue backdrop. The balance of the narrative breaks in between sections of gameplay is nothing short of masterful, never getting bogged down in verbosity or delusions of grandeur like MGS4 so frequently does. It's a testament to the story and the 2nd half of the game that by the climax my frustrations in the early game felt like a distant memory. Still, those frustrations exist and while Snake Eater is unequivocally an excellent game, it is not the flawless masterpiece that I remembered it as.

Anyone feel strongly about one of those games?
Vanquish is phenomenal if you don't play it like a bog standard TPS and mess around with the mechanics to see how far you can push yourself and the systems. Catherine is pretty good too if you enjoy puzzle games and can relate to the mature themes of the story.

Auctopus

I'm not going to kid myself into thinking I can do 52 games this year, but I've actually been working through my backlog at a surprising rate this year. So far I've finished EarthBound, Amplitude, The Order: 1886, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, The Witness and Firewatch. Hoping I can keep up the momentum!

Anyway, I wanted to drop in here to get some opinions on what I should play next between the following:

- Puppeteer
- Vanquish
- Gone Home
- Catherine

I'd recommend Catherine or Vanquish. Catherine being my favourite game of those 4.

Althought you might as well play Gone Home next if you have it as it takes about half an hour.

Spyware

Anyway, I wanted to drop in here to get some opinions on what I should play next between the following:

- Puppeteer
- Vanquish
- Gone Home
- Catherine

If you liked Firewatch at all, play Gone Home. If you didn't like Firewatch, you should probably play something in between them. I'd say Vanquish then since it's the one other game I played and I loved it.

Blombus

Neo Member
Original post

Game 7 - Proteus - played for several hours each day over the course of two days
Finished February 15

I revisited Proteus yesterday with the intention of working through the game deliberately after two years of picking it up off and on again and simply wandering for a quiet hour or two. The "Lost Gods of Albion" trophy description suggests what I admire so much about the experience: the idea of a parallel universe (of infinite parallel worlds) conveyed not through a sprawling landscape but a small one, populated not by an infinite variety of flora and fauna but a short list of trees and birds and hopping frogs that never appear in the same place twice, and never in quite the same way. Proteus reminds me of changing seasons in my small backyard at the edge of the Chihuahuan Desert, seen in small details that would be lost on a stranger with no attachment to the view. It's a singular and special game.

Oreoleo

Original post

Game 7 - Proteus - played for several hours each day over the course of two days
Finished February 15

I revisited Proteus yesterday with the intention of working through the game deliberately after two years of picking it up off and on again and simply wandering for a quiet hour or two. The "Lost Gods of Albion" trophy description suggests what I admire so much about the experience: the idea of a parallel universe (of infinite parallel worlds) conveyed not through a sprawling landscape but a small one, populated not by an infinite variety of flora and fauna but a short list of trees and birds and hopping frogs that never appear in the same place twice, and never in quite the same way. Proteus reminds me of changing seasons in my small backyard at the edge of the Chihuahuan Desert, seen in small details that would be lost on a stranger with no attachment to the view. It's a singular and special game.

Gosh, is Proteus on PS3/Vita the same as it is on PC? I played through it one time in like 45-60 minutes and while I enjoyed the game your write up suggests to me that I barely scratched the surface of what it was trying to get across. Might have to squeeze this one in soon and give it another shot.

Falchion

13) The Last of Us Remastered - 12 hours - 2/15
Wow. First time playing this and it was spectacular.
Winter was my favorite section of the game and seeing Ellie survive on her own without Joel was great. I kept waiting for some cheap ending in Spring but it didn't happen.
Such an amazing ride.

Updated my post.

PTAdrock

Neo Member
[post=191044952]Claim[/post]

header.jpg

Game 5: Savant Ascent PC - 40 minutes 5/52
Not much to say about this game. It have simple controls that work for it, it is visually appealing and comes with a solid sound track. It is also cheap and short, but it is a very strong game. It took me a little bit of time to beat it but I assure you I will be touching this game again.

header.jpg

Game 6:Dycourse PC - 1 hour 27 minutes 6/52
This game, oh this game. This is also a short game, but don't worry you be replaying this game a lot before the day is out. It mixes story telling with decision making. Your choices will dictate the course of the game, choose wisely.

GAME 09: Gravity Rush/Daze: (I love Gravity Daze over Rush any day.) A cool technical display of the Vita and really shows. An openworldish Vita game is really interesting when used with the cool gravity travel mechanics. The combat suuuuuuuuuucks, but everything else is well polished and cool.

Does Dying Light: The Following count? I normally wouldn't list it on my personal list, because it's an expansion and not a different game.

pvAHMdY.png

Game 07: Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
PS4 - 50 hours - Beaten 12/02/16 - ★★★★
My first experience with Dark Souls II.
Overall, it was a good game that I had a lot of fun with, but compared to its predecessors, it was a massive step back. The combat feels wonkier, the world isn't connected (and areas don't even fit together regardless), the bosses were boring and easy, and the lore was uninteresting.
But still, the core Souls gameplay is still there, so it was a worthwhile experience, and there was some nice areas in the game.
I still have the DLC areas to go, as well as NG+ and onwards, but I decided to list it here now as it'll be a slow burn between other games for the rest.

Main post

Does Dying Light: The Following count? I normally wouldn't list it on my personal list, because it's an expansion and not a different game.

I think that the 52 games thing is just a personal thing really, so if you feel it should count, count it (within reason). If there's an end game to the expansion, or a point where you felt you were done with it, I'd count it. For instance, I would count Diablo II: Lord of Destruction to 52 games if I beat it this year, even though it's just one extra act.

OP

---

Game #9 - Lost Dimension (PS3)

A nice little strategy RPG. I'm not a huge fan of having the true ending locked behind potentially 2+ playthroughs depending on how the RNG goes but I got lucky and only needed to do a second playthrough. It's very easy to tip the scales heavily in your favor with a decent skill/gift build which will speed things up even more. About halfway through my second playthrough I was able to beat most missions in 2, sometimes 3 turns tops thanks to the Daydream and Teleport Allies gifts. I wish there was a bit more happening story and/or gameplay wise as it gets a bit repetitive but if you're a fan of the genre it's worth a look.

theecakee

2014-02-05_00043.jpg

3. Jazzpunk - 2 Hours
I didn't finish the game, but I thought it was unique and funny. Lot of exploring but the game got a little too unlinear and confusing I thought....points where I was running around wondering what I'm even suppose to do or go to when I saw everything and wanted to move on.

3/5
⋆⋆⋆

021.png

4. The Beginner's Guide - 1.5 Hours
Finished it but didn't enjoy it much. The games Coda made were neat but I didn't really feel much for the story in the end, like "oh ok, well that sucks" even though I'm usually all for deep stories.

2/5
⋆⋆

Two more games I played in February.

OP

Not sure what to play next. will be game 28.

Maybe I will go do DMC4, 3 or play a few smaller titles first. Too much to play ah

any suggestions. can see my list on page 16

I think that the 52 games thing is just a personal thing really, so if you feel it should count, count it (within reason). If there's an end game to the expansion, or a point where you felt you were done with it, I'd count it. For instance, I would count Diablo II: Lord of Destruction to 52 games if I beat it this year, even though it's just one extra act.

i personally count DLC as long as it's something substantial. the following would absolutely count for me

Thanks. I counted it.

I don't know if I will count it on my personal lists (I keep a couple, one hand-written), but perhaps.

OT

So game 15 was Beyond: Two Souls. Now I loved Heavy Rain bu this game was just meh. The concept/ story was a great idea but the execution just was no there IMO. The acting was top notch but hard not to be when you have Hollywood celebs as the two main characters in the game. Ending was cool but will not say anything I did. Lets hope Quantic Dreams new game Detroit is better...

Main post

Game #27: Art Style PiCOPiCT (DS) - ★★★★★★★★★★

PiCOPiCT is both probably the best game Nintendo has put on DSiWare (among the best they've put on the eShop) and also the Nintendo game I think that has the most potential for a sequel. Basically, the game has you picking up blocks at the bottom of the screen with the stylus, placing them elsewhere on the screen (at which point they'll suspend in mid-air) in order to anticipate falling blocks of the same colour. Blocks are cleared either as a line that is at least 4 squares long, or a square/rectangle that's at least four blocks in any direction.

Of course that's not the main draw (given the image) - the main draw is the nostalgia! Every puzzle is a sprite from an NES game, and the background music is really well-made remixes of classic NES songs that start out simplified, grow into their standard theme, and then get complex the closer you come to completing the puzzle. It's the right level of challenge and nearly flawless in terms of the idea. I just wish they would make a sequel to it! The first game only has 30 levels - 15 normal puzzles and 15 Dark World puzzles (harder puzzles with different sprites from the same game as the respective normal puzzle's game), but the games they take from is pretty limited - in all, there are (spoilers if you want to be surprised by the games included) 10 Super Mario Bros. puzzles, four Ice Climber puzzles, four The Legend of Zelda puzzles, two Balloon Fight puzzles, two Wrecking Crew puzzles, two Baseball puzzles, two Excitebike puzzles, and four Devil World puzzles. There is just so much damn potential for this game in terms of content, yet the game is nearing a decade and still not even the slightest hint. :( Seriously though, it's like $5.00 on the DSi and 3DS and it is fantastic.

Here's a video to demonstrate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJJgzi0IbIM

Game #28: Kirby: Mass Attack (DS) - ★★★★★★★★★☆

Kirby: Mass Attack is a great game that makes me really frustrated the further into it that I go. This game would justify a perfect score if it wasn't for some occasionally shoddy controls. I've lost count of how many times weird reactions to my touchscreen caused my Kirbys to become injured or dead. The game is also not shy about introducing instant-loss scenarios - it's not very common, but later on in the game I found a mini-boss who rushed into me from off-screen, killing all of my Kirbys immediately. Every level has a minimum number of Kirbys required, which sometimes entails that you have to go to another level to grind up your Kirby count.

That said, these are only a few small problems compared to the positives. The gameplay, warts and all, is excellent. It has pretty good level design and generally relies on new designs and concepts as opposed to recycling old ones (only a handful of enemies return from past games). The gameplay is an innovative take on the series, and it's probably one of the most challenging Kirby games you'll ever play. In addition to all of this however, Mass Attack has some of the most polished mini-games Nintendo's ever produced, to such a degree that they could have actually been their own game (like a Kirby Party Pack thing or whatever). The particular standout is Kirby Quest, a neat off-kilter RPG. It's not quite as good of a touchscreen-controlled Kirby game as Canvas Curse is, but any kirby fan would do well to play it.

Game #29: Pilotwings Resort (3DS) - ★★★★★★★★☆☆

My opinion of Pilotwings Resort kind of rubberbands - at first I was somewhat down on it around launch due to how expensive it was given that it felt like a bulked-up tech demo. It's a mechanically great game, but it didn't feel like a full game, just something they put out because otherwise the launch would have been that much more paltry. That as well as the fact that there was only one island, and free flight mode only lasted for five minutes (bleh). Once the initial disappointment wore off, I learned to appreciate the mechanical stuff and get over the unfortunate limitations of the game. Flying with the plane and the jet pack is great (especially the powerful jet pack!), but the glider should be treated as trash by default. There were some missions where the glider was fantastic, but otherwise I just felt stressed by how it operated.

BraXzy

I've played some incredible games recently. The Witness is an early contender for GOTY. You can feel every second of its 7+ year development oozing from every inch of its world. While it isn't for everyone, if you enjoy puzzle games at all and haven't given it a look, I highly recommend it.

Original Post

UXRFC2Y.png

GAME 22: The Witness - 40 Hours - 13/02/2016 - PC

A meticulously crafted masterpiece from Jonathan Blow and his team. Lose yourself in a gorgeous, incredibly well designed world as you explore and solve challenging puzzles that have you pulling your hair out one minute, and jumping for joy the next. My mind was blown more than once. Play this, you owe it to yourself.

5uP9Qi2.png

GAME 23: Her Story - 3 Hours - 17/02/2016 - PC

A fascinating interactive narrative that had me and my GF totally engrossed as we tried to piece together the story playing the role of detectives reviewing evidence.

ThgOkIR.png

GAME 24: Dota 2 - 10 Hours+ multi - 17/02/2016 - PC

One of the best multiplayer games I've ever played, with incredibly deep gameplay and as rewarding as it is punishing, I will be playing this for a long time. Best of all, it's entirely free.

iqUpMOt.png

GAME 25: Alto's Adventure - 2.5 hours - 17/02/2016 - Android

A fairly standard endless runner as far as gameplay goes, this game is held up by the beauty of the art as you make your descent.

Original post

p4egCP8l.jpg

20. Cities in Motion 2 (PC, 2013) - 23:59 (+6:52 in 2013/2014)
Completed the original Modern Days campaign on Normal.

I wrote a piece once about how the failure of EA's SimCity reboot did not have to spell the end of the city-building genre, and I noted the existence of a game that came out around the same time that wasn't itself a city builder, but had many of the features SimCity 2013 lacked: huge cities, offline play, and a robust traffic and transit simulation. That game was Cities in Motion 2, the second in a franchise created by Colossal Order. Two years later, Colossal Order would eat EA's lunch for real with Cities: Skylines, a game I enjoyed immensely. But despite my praise for the franchise and my enjoyment of the first game, I never got further than a few hours into the second Cities in Motion.

Rebuilt from the ground up in Unity, Cities in Motion 2 is a more modern take on the original's transit system simulation. Reminiscent of transit games like Transport Tycoon, Cities in Motion 2 asks you to plan out urban transit systems using a mix of buses, streetcars, subways and waterbuses. You're responsible for buying and maintaining vehicles, mapping out transit lines, and making sure you make enough money to keep the whole system afloat. If you're the kind of person that likes to imagine or draw out elaborate transit networks in your spare time, Cities in Motion is the franchise for you.

So why did it take three years for me to finally finish the campaign? I'd been distracted by other games around Cities in Motion 2's release, and had never quite gotten back to it. But the game also has some significant problems that make it more difficult to recommend than the first. The learning curve is much steeper than the original game, thanks to the inclusion of timetables and the use of depots to manage lines. Each line sources its vehicles from a single depot, and depots are limited in how many vehicles they can hold. Schedule too many trips on a line, and you could run out of vehicles very quickly, which leads to angry commuters and a falling reputation rating.

The early game can be especially frustrating for newcomers. Much like real life, isolated lines aren't particularly useful to commuters, so ridership and revenue is low. You have to build a network of interconnected lines to succeed, but that takes careful planning to make the most of your starting budget--that is, unless you take out a huge loan near the start of the game and build yourself a metro line. Once you build a metro line, cash flow becomes your biggest problem, not profitability; you're guaranteed revenue, it's just a matter of how soon it comes in. But without that metro, your bank account will grow painfully slowly, if at all. This means every scenario eventually becomes a variation of the same basic strategy: bootstrap your income with a few well-placed bus or tram lines, then get a huge loan and connect all those lines with a metro line once you burn through your initial budget. It's not a foolproof plan but it works far more often than not.

That's why I say you have to really enjoy drawing transit lines on a map to love Cities in Motion 2; as a game, it mostly asks you to perform the same tricks over and over again. Luckily, I absolutely adore drawing lines on a map, and Cities in Motion 2 is in many ways an improvement over the original (especially in framerate!). Colossal Order is probably a Cities: Skylines house now, but I still hold out hope that one day we might see a Cities in Motion 3, or at least a Rush Hour-style expansion pack for Skylines that turns it into Cities in Motion 3.

Game #12 - Halo 3 [Xbox One]

CNCbcro.jpg

This one was a replay, but I was happy to do it since I hadn't touched the Master Chief Collection version yet. That 60fps bump did this whole series a whole lot of good, and I really just had a ton of fun with this one. The biggest help? Turns out I didn't remember a damn thing about it. Since this is the first game in the collection that hasn't had any kind of facelift, I will say that it felt like the campaign that aged the worst. I'd be lying if I said I didn't prefer, say, Reach, mechanically. The new abilities here all feel way too limited and most of them felt completely worthless. I never did figure out how to get the auto-turrets in this one to do their thing, and I never did get a trip mine to actually hit a target.

I guess what I'm saying is that I forgot how goddamn weird Halo 3 is. The weapons are weird, the abilities are weird, and so much of it just never appears in another game in the series. Its still pretty dang fun though.

I'm switching over to running through MCC's version of 4 now, and after that I'll crack open my copy of 5.

Skikkiks

Master Post

Game #11: Firewatch (PS4) | ~4 Hours | 02/09/16 | 3.5/5

Firewatch is a good game. Despite the performance issues, the graphics are great and the dialogue is well done. The game gives you a map and a compass which would tip you off to exploration, but that idea is hampered by an odd sense of agency where the games makes you feel that you really need to go to some place at all times. The story is ok but I didn't get invested too much. In reality, it's a 3/5 game but the thing that tips it over is best new character of 2016 Forrest Byrnes.

Game #12: Gunman Clive (3DS) | 90 minutes | 02/14/16 | 3/5

While this is technically a game I've played before, I'm classifying this as a new game because I beat the Duck Mode on hard. Duck Mode has significant differences from the normal game, with no way to kill enemies and a Kirby-esque jump if Kirby couldn't float forever. Gunman Clive was an ok game when I played it before, but I think I liked this mode better.

Game #13: Unravel (PS4) | ~16 hours | 02/18/16 | 4.5/5

While the game itself only took around 6-8 hours, I ended up putting more time into getting all the trophies because I really loved this game. It's a really endearing and cute puzzle platformer with a lot of heart. The backdrops and settings to every level are really beautiful and Yarny animations change a lot, from wading through snow and shivering from the cold during a rain level, the characters animations really bring the character to life. Gameplay itself is good, Yarny controls well. Some puzzles can get hard (specifically the last leaf level) and the physics can get really janky at points but it didn't get bad enough for me to get frustrated, except when I was doing no death runs for some of the levels. Overall, I loved it and this is probably gonna be in my top 10 this year.

Bowlie

Banned
Game #09 - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney [3DS] (24 hours, finished in February 18)
9zrZsqW.jpg

It's like Contradiction: Spot The Liar! Wait...

Just like last year, I'll probably spend 2016 playing games I should've played already, and the Ace Attorney trilogy fits the bill. I've only played the first one, and so far it's the detective game I've always wanted, with incredibly charismatic characters, cases that go from serious to stupid crazy (I had a
parrot
as a witness), and challenges that were hard without ever making me feel frustrated.
Super excited for the next games.

Original Post

Oreoleo

The List!
Full Impressions

14. INK - 1.7 Hours
LIyaWwZ.jpg

Essentially an N+ clone with a Splatoon twist. Each level starts completely invisible, but making contact with a surface splatters paint on it, revealing the path to the goal bit by bit. This twist on what would otherwise be well-trodden mechanics gives INK a slight puzzle game bend, focusing less on hair-pulling difficulty than its influences do. It's still challenging of course, but it never crosses the line into frustration like so many others in the genre. The perfect bundle fodder game, just the right amount of short and good.

Main post

Game #30: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire (3DS) - ★★★★★★★☆☆☆

Damn, was this game ever a hard 7. All the time I was trying to find an excuse to put it to an 8, but no matter how many times I tried, the game introduced shit to infuriate me - or at the very least, to make me feel apathetic about it. I could honestly write for an hour about this game's annoyances, but here's a short list (short is relative).

1. The formula is getting super fucking stale. Never have I seen a game that is so forgiven for its chronic reuse of the basic formula. Sure the games always introduce a few new things, but ultimately it's just whatever.
2. The game is too damn easy! And I'll give you full disclosure, I played with the EXP Share on, but that's not why it's easy. If I didn't have the EXP Share, I wouldn't be experiencing a more challenging game, I'd be experiencing one that is too tedious. If I didn't use the EXP Share, I would probably have to grind and using Repels would actually ruin my play. With it though? I kid you not, after the fifth gym, I saw only a very small handful of random encounters, and it was usually only because I wanted the Pokemon that I saw. Didn't even need random battle EXP, and it made the experience so much better.
3. Steven is a shithead. I just really hate Steven. I was kind of ambivalent, but when he is looking at Latias, legit, I think his dialogue was one of the worst sets of dialogue in video game history (and it wasn't even because of memes!).
4. Speaking of Latias, the flight gimmick was stupid shit. The very first moment I used it and started flying around, I immediately understood that it was just a more time-consuming flight. It didn't feel like I was actually soaring above shit, I felt like it was just like the diving sections, but with less to do. I later learned that it gives you access to special areas (at least I think they're exclusive), but ultimately all I saw out of it was a Mesprit, Happiny, and Forretress. To its credit though, Forretress is rad.
5. So many confusion-based attacks! It's annoying!! Nearly every single Grunt had a Poochyena or Mightyena with Swagger, and as any Pokemon player knows, being confused means you hit yourself nine times out of 10. Exaggeration, but shit, IIRC it's said to be 50% chance, and that ain't true. I'd sooner believe that the Chrono Cross hit % chances were authentic.
6. Cheap, soulless remake. See, I don't hate gen 3. I like it pretty well, at least Emerald anyway. But damn did it have flaws, and damn did ORAS kind of not fix them? There's some seriously shit pacing at some parts where it feels like I go for a year without finding a gym, and there's so much back-and-forth that I just can't stand it. And I dunno if this is worse or not, but Game Freak basically copped to the fact that they remade RuSa instead of Em (for the most part) because they couldn't be bothered to appease the niche that wants that. I mean, if you're not going to make a loving remake, why even bother (profits amirite)?
7. Some of the character art is ugly, that's about it for that
8. This is probably the first time I openly have complained about them (I do hate them), but fuck Zubat/Golbat. At the end Golbat was nearly EVERY encounter where I experienced any at all. In general, ORAS might be the shittiest pair of games in terms of diversity, because I swear to goodness, there's more Pelippers than there is water. That's a big issue RuSa had generally - there's tons of water, but the Pokemon you encounter are pretty boring. They should have had fun with it and have like, entirely weird Pokemon to find.
9. Fuckin' HMs. Why does my Quagsire need to have three different water type moves? I want Ice Beam AND Earthquake! :(
10. This isn't just ORAS, but I really hate what 3D models have done to flying Pokemon. Why can't Xatu just be standing? It looks like a dork when it's flying

And that's just what I can think of off the top of my head. Also I really don't like Wallace. But for all of its flaws, it's still kind of good. For all I said about how much I'm sick of the engine, it's still kind of good. Some of the characters are ugly, but others are cute, cool, and/or funny! Except for the little girl! And Pokemon Amie still exists, so that's awesome, please just make a full-fledged game of that, please! Oh, and I really, REALLY enjoyed that they tried to give the gym leaders a stronger personality, both in terms of how they communicate, how they look, and how they do body language. The standouts for me were Archie and Flannery.

If this game came out earlier, I'd probably like it a lot more, because shit am I ever suffering fatigue. And I'm trying to be fair to the game and not judge too harshly for the fact that I'm fatigued by the series at large. It's hard to express that I enjoyed this game "enough" when I hated so many aspects of it, but it was good "enough."

But shit, maybe Pokemon is just not for me anymore? It's not evolving, but at the same time, a lot of the kids playing Pokemon won't know the difference, it's all new to them. Maybe I'm just cranky, but I'd sooner expect Madden to change its formula before Pokemon ever does. I'd call this the worst entry in the series, MAYBE beaten by Crystal, but at the same time, that's not too bad for it! Its worst is leagues better than the worst of a couple big Nintendo properties...

(sorry for doing such an angry rant lol, it's late and I'm in a bad mood, and ORAS contributed to that)

Main Post

Finished Game 6: Dark Cloud 2 - PS4/PSN

112 Hours. 100% Platinum Trophy

xUbvZnB.jpg

Had a great month with this. Growing up i loved the first Dark Cloud more then this but Dark Cloud 2 seems to have aged so much better. Really enjoyed going back and doing the things I never spent much time with the first time I played. Spheda, Fish Racing, Monster Transformation. Truly a classic!

That Dark Cloud 2 time is intimidating, haha. :p

Main post

Game #31: Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS) - ★★★★★★★★★★

I wasn't expecting that I would enjoy this game as much as I did, but it was fantastic - it may very well even be my favourite Kirby game after Kirby Super Star. It has a few flaws, but ultimately, it's a fantastic game that people don't talk about nearly as often as they should. Every level feels entirely unique from each other, such as one level where you have to watch your reflection in the background to reveal illusions that exist on your plane (such as platforms that don't exist or invisible enemies). Most moves are very good, and they're fun to play with. The game looks and sounds great, and the amount of content feels really worthwhile without also feeling bloated. I could see myself revisiting it down the road to get 100% (as well as do the unlockable stuff that you get for beating the game).

Oh, and hey, the final boss isn't a fucking eye! :D

Game #32: Jam with the Band (AKA Daigasso! Band Brothers DX) (DS) - ★★★★★★★★☆☆

At one point I would have given this game a 9, but ultimately with online play not being a thing, I'm pretty much stuck with only the songs that I have downloaded so far. Speaking of, it's always been a rather unfortunate failing for the game in that you couldn't delete songs that you downloaded (IIRC), and you could only have so many songs, so if you download a song and don't like it, you're well fucked. And this isn't really a game flaw, but not being able to understand Japanese made it really hard to find a lot of great songs. That said though, I definitely did find some really good tracks, usually limited to J-pop, video games (a lot of Zelda), and anime opening songs/ending songs. This is the kind of game I wish I knew how to be good at as far as creation goes, because I would have made so many songs, you wouldn't even believe it bae

Anyway, I found this while looking through my DS games and realized that I still hadn't beaten the tour mode, so I gave it a try. I had gotten stuck on the five-star level, and after some perseverance, I managed to overcome and beat it. I'll still probably play it, but with no new songs to get, no real skill to make new ones, and no more defined challenges to overcome, I think it's fair to list now.

Game #33: LEGO Rock Band (DS) - ★★★★★☆☆☆☆☆

Mechanically LEGO Rock Band is fine enough, but overall it's just a pretty blah experience, definitely shitting the bed when compared to Band Brothers. The idea of managing four band members is interesting, but not terribly fun - I just find that I'd sooner focus on only one instrument at a time (and never microphone because shit there's no point if you're not actually singing). Generally, the whole experience feels like a cheap slapdash effort on EA/TT's part. Less of a project anyone really wanted to make and more one that would probably (at least in their hopes) make them money. Beyond that, the tracklist is pretty mediocre for me, only containing a few songs that I really, truly like, and nothing I've never heard has excited me (unlike past Band or Hero games, where I've been introduced to songs I genuinely, strongly enjoy). I also took umbrage with the fact that, as far as I can tell, there's only one black minifig, and only for guys.

i tried to finish the Witcher 3 but I can't do it everything about this game feels like a chore to me after I thought I was beginning to like it.

Which game in my backlog should I tackle next?
Wolfenstein TNO
TR Definitive Edition or The Evil Within?

edit: Far Cry 4 is still sitting in my backlog, didn't even realize I bought it. So that would be another option.

Benedict

Game 5: Luigi's Mansion 2 (3DS) Started January 23rd.19 hours and 5 minutes
# Finished 2016-02-20.
This is one of 3DS best games, but has some issues. I like that you peer into the system and the rooms guiding Luigi. The motion parts are a bit unruly and guiding the PolterGust is problematic even though the 3D is a big help.
Wonderful graphics, sound and music.
You can play it in pretty small chunks. My average play time for each session is 1:11 hrs. I can't really be bothered 100% this though. I probably won't go back to get every gem and Boo. If it had achievements/trophies though...
9/10

Not sure I'll manage 52 games this year...

Probably going for Xenoblades Chronicles on my N3DS next, among others.

Master Post

FHikHJp.png

Game 8: The Witness - 30+ hours - February 20th, 2016
Well I finally finished with 384 +8 puzzles done. I'm not too proud to admit that I ended up seeking some help with certain puzzles, notably the
tone
-based and
reflection
-based ones. For the first twenty-five or so hours, although the game was hard, I really rather enjoyed myself. But some of the puzzles like the aforementioned spoiler-tagged types really didn't feel enjoyable. They were too touchy for me to really feel intelligent figuring them out. For the most part though, The Witness is a masterfully crafted game. The way it "teaches" you while never saying a word to you is absolutely brilliant. I actually had a few friends over one night while playing through it, and I really enjoyed doing puzzles jointly. As long as you're on equal footing (i.e., one person isn't figuring out everything for the group), it can be a huge dose of fun to experience that "eureka!" moment together. I plan to go back and try to finish up the last laser (The Town) and then finish the Challenge after that, but I'm tired out for the moment.
Should I play The Witness? If you're even remotely a fan of puzzle games, absolutely.

i tried to finish the Witcher 3 but I can't do it everything about this game feels like a chore to me after I thought I was beginning to like it.

Which game in my backlog should I tackle next?
Wolfenstein TNO
TR Definitive Edition or The Evil Within?

edit: Far Cry 4 is still sitting in my backlog, didn't even realize I bought it. So that would be another option.

How much of The Witcher III did you beat?

Game 5: Luigi's Mansion 2 (3DS) Started January 23rd.19 hours and 5 minutes
# Finished 2016-02-20.
This is one of 3DS best games, but has some issues. I like that you peer into the system and the rooms guiding Luigi. The motion parts are a bit unruly and guiding the PolterGust is problematic even though the 3D is a big help.
Wonderful graphics, sound and music.
You can play it in pretty small chunks. My average play time for each session is 1:11 hrs. I can't really be bothered 100% this though. I probably won't go back to get every gem and Boo. If it had achievements/trophies though...
9/10

Not sure I'll manage 52 games this year...

Probably going for Xenoblades Chronicles on my N3DS next, among others.

I like Luigi's Mansion DM a lot in principle, though ultimately I found myself wishing for twin stick controls and checkpoints in the missions!

Also, for your 52, if you have shorter games, you could try to get through them like I am! Game Boy games are perfect for this event. :p

sackninja

I just wrote quite the essay about these games, and mobile seems to have lost it so 8'm just going to list them with a score.

1 : Chroma Squad : 6/10 - An okay entry level strategy RPG with everything around the startegy element being highly flawed.

2 : Steven Universe Attack the Light : 8/10 - A great entry level RPG which is most comparable to Super Mario rpg. Highly recommended.

3 : The Order 1886 : 6.5/10 - A game with amazing presentation, characters and story, good gameplay and which ends several hours too soon severely dampening the experience. The most highly recommended 6.5 I will ever have.

4 : The Unfinished Swan : 8/10- Another great game which mostly doesn't dwells too long on the same idea aside from maybe growing the vines. Nice graphics, a nice story and nice gameplay. Recommended.

5 : Monster bag : 3/10.

6 : Entwined : 7/10

7 : Emily is Away : 6.5/10

8 : Sid Meiers Starships : 6.5/10

Will update scores and reviews later. For now just want to get this up to date.

9 : Destiny

10 : Murasaki baby

11 : Titan Attacks

12 : Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy.

13 : Driveclub

14 : Reality Fighters

15 :Tearaway.

16 :Clash Royale

17 : Race the Sun

18 : Darkest Dungeon

19 : Renowned Explorers : International Soceity

20 : Batman : Arkham Knight

21 : Grow Home

22 : Little Deviants

23 : Table Top Racing : World Tour

24 : Gone Home

25 : Never Alone

26 : Democracy 3

27 : Geometry Wars 3 :Evolved

28 : Danganronpa : Trigger Happy Havoc

29 : Fay Cry 4

30 : Danganronpa 2 : Goodbye Despair

31 : Tharsis

32 : Plants Vs Zombies

33 : The Impossible Road

34 : Actual Sunlight

35 : There is no Game

36 : Planet of the Eyes

37 : Transformers Devastation

38 : Rocketbirds : Hard Boiled Chicken

39 : Beyond Eyes

Main post

Game #34: Rock Band 3 (DS) - ★★★★★★★☆☆☆

Strangely, while I really disliked LEGO Rock Band on the DS, I found Rock Band 3 to be a lot more fun and interesting (even if it does have some of the mechanical and conceptual flaws you would find in LEGO Rock Band). Immediately I appreciated the improved level of character customization (I've got an all-girl band that isn't just a bunch of white people!), and the challenges were really very entertaining - I found myself more invested in completing them than I expected. I don't know that I'll go back to this game ever - I think I'd sooner enjoy just playing The Beatles Rock Band instead - but it was entertaining enough to go through the time that I did. I also commend the soundtrack for being markedly better than LEGO Rock Band's, but ultimately it's still lackluster compared to the console games (understandably so).

I just met Triss and did some side quests here and there. There is still a long way to go in this game and I grew tired of it.

Ah, that's definitely a shame!

Weiss

Banned
Might as well put together a list from here on. Can't remember the date or order I've played them in right now, but I'll keep that updated from here on out.

1. The Last Of Us
Gameplay was good but a bunch of grown men got mad at me because I didn't like the violent, selfish hypocritical murderer I was saddled with.

2. Mother 3
I was never able to get the hang of the rhythm combat, so that was kind of a constant thorn, and it has a lot of the same issues as Earthbound where the gameplay is really slow and boring, but the phenomenal story is totally worth it, and would be even if the gameplay was an even bigger hindrance. I actually welled up more than once during my playthrough.

3. Gravity Rush
Love this game to bits and I'm probably going to replay it before the year's over because I had so much damn fun with it. It's gorgeous, the soundtrack is excellent, Kat's an awesome lead, and the variety of gravity powers at your disposal are awesome.

4. Grow Home
Weird quirky thing that seemed manufactured to be weird and quirky. Fell off the beanstalk more times then I'd care to admit.

5. Infamous Second Son
Not as good as I2, even to the point where I wonder why a new game needs to exist if it can't match its technologically inferior predecessor in any way besides graphics, but it was still good, better than I1 at least, and Delsin left as strong an impression on me as Cole did.

6. Oddworld New N' Tasty
It's too easy to skip by Mudokons, and collecting them never really felt too pressing knowing the only difference is the ending. Still, it's a really good, really original game with a realized, unique world, and Abe's visual personality shines in his every movement, from his nervous sneaking to his blase voice to the way he'd giggle as he blew up the heads of Sligs.

7. Luigi's Mansion
People who complain about this game suck. It's Resident Evil meets Mario! How is that not a fantastic idea? Game's brimming with the personality and style that's sorely lacked in modern Mario titles.

8. Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon
Playing this was the impetus to track down a copy of its predecessor, and I ultimately prefer what came before. The gameplay's a bit improved but it sacrifices a lot of the cohesion provided by the single mansion in the first game, and it never puts any effort towards being a horror-comedy title. Still, I liked it. It's different to the first game, but it's still a game with some strong personality.

9. Metroid Fusion
Probably the weakest of the good games in the series. I liked the story focus and how the linear structure allowed for more dynamic set pieces, and the horror vibe the game gave off was really strong for a GBA game, especially with the SA-X.

Still, locking down the station before the final boss, because screw you if you want to go hunting for the E-Tanks and Missile Upgrades you've missed, is an inexcusable sin for a Metroid game.

10. Diddy Kong Racing

This was actually the first game I ever played, and as far as I'm concerned it was the best cart racer of the generation.

11. Majora's Mask 3D - February 28th

Majora's one of my favourite games of all time, but I think when I replay it again I'll stick with the 64 version. I love the art style changes that make Termina more bizarre and dreamlike than ever, and the changes to the bosses are nice, but it leaves too many of Majora's niggling flaws when the remaster should have corrected them.

12. Ocarina of Time Master Quest 3D - March 13th

Whoever thinks that puzzles are hiding switches behind walls that you can't see needs to be kicked in the face. Otherwise, I like how there's more powerful enemies through the game, there's a handful of clever remixes and puzzles, and taking so much damage so easily makes OoT feel exciting for the first time in years.

13. Lego Marvel Superheroes - March 19th

Gave up on 100%ing when I realized I couldn't be assed to replay every single level, but eh, I had fun. It's a cute little game with lots of Marvel fanservice and some occasionally clever jokes.

Main post

Game #35: Meteos: Disney Magic (DS) - ★★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆

I was kind of hoping that I would enjoy this game, as hey, it's Meteos! Meteos is fun, so Meteos: Disney Magic should be fun too, right? Unfortunately, it's pretty shit! Mechanically it has slight resemblances to Meteos, but with the ability to move blocks in all four directions instead of just up and down as Meteos does. Ultimately it results in a confused game that doesn't know what it wants to be, and feels like they changed it to try and make it more kid-friendly. Most of the challenge is absent, and the neat world Meteos used to have is replaced with poorly implemented Disney artworks. Seriously, everything looks like shit - the blocks, the art, the backgrounds, etc. The music isn't even good! I mean shit, maybe if they had at least given us the original songs instead of bad remixes it might have had that going for it, Really, this game is an insult to the greatness that was Meteos.

2. Mother 3
I was never able to get the hang of the rhythm combat, so that was kind of a constant thorn, and it has a lot of the same issues as Earthbound where the gameplay is really slow and boring, but the phenomenal story is totally worth it, and would be even if the gameplay was an even bigger hindrance. I actually welled up more than once during my playthrough.

Just so you know, the rhythm gameplay being off is a problem of emulation - the actual game works well with it.

Vampir1c

Neo Member
Wow great stuff guys! Just started working fullish (32hrs) time for the first time in my life and never finished 52 games in a year before that. Looking forward to this! Unsure of my start dates as I haven't really kept track.

54/52

1. Fallout 4 - 1/15
2. Shadow Harvest: Phantom Ops - 1/23
3. Sonic the Hedgehog - 1/26
4. No One Lives Forever: The Operative - 1/26
5. No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'S Way - 2/3
6. Shadow Complex Remastered - 2/4
7. XCOM 2 - 2/17
8. Postal 2 - 2/21
9. Postal 2 Apocalypse Weekend - 2/22
10. DeadCore - 2/25
11. Hotline Miami - 2/25
12. Need For Speed: Rivals - 2/28
13. Morphine - 2/29
14. Wolfenstein: The New Order - 3/10
15. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number - 3/11
16. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - 3/24
17. Serious Sam: Double D XXL - 3/27
18. Strike Suit Zero - 3/27
19. Freedom Planet (as Carol) - 3/28
20. Doom64 EX - 3/30
21. Judge Dredd: Dredd VS Death - 3/31
22. Far Cry 3 - 4/7
23. 20XX - 4/9
24. Freedom Planet (as Lillac) - 4/10
25. Final Fantasy XIII - 4/30
26. Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 5/16
27. Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition - 6/4
28. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - 6/6
29. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (NewGame+) - 6/9
30. Bomberman 64 (Finally 100% this game) - 6/16
31. Super Bomberman - 6/19
32. City of Chains - 6/20
33. Sonic R - 6/20
34. Painkiller: Hell & Damnation - 6/23
35. The Final Take - 6/24
36. Super Bomberman 3 - 6/25
37. Turok (Night Dive Remaster) - 6/28
38. Super Bomberman 4 - 7/1
39. Bomberman Hero - 7/2
40. Donkey Kong Country - 7/4
41. Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X - 7/10
42. Destroy All Humans! - 7/10
43. Perfect Dark (XBLA) - 7/10
44. 20XX - 7/11
45. 20XX - 7/17
46. Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut - 8/18
47. Deus Ex: The Fall - 8/25
48. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - 9/23
49. Axiom Verge - 10/12
50. The Park - 10/14
51. Life is Strange - 10/17
52. Alien: Isolation - 11/4
53. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - 11/22
54. Watch Dogs 2 - 12/25

Oreoleo

The List!
Detailed Impressions 01-12
Detailed Impressions 13-xx

15. Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops - 11 Hours
xk0QFnI.jpg

It's interesting how much this feels like budget MGS. The small self-contained levels lead to missions beaten in 5 or 10 minutes going stealth, or just a minute or two if you blast your way through. Level design is very basic and geometric. The story seems kinda like fan-service; Metal Gear, check. Government conspiracy, check. Reference to previous MGS games to hook fans, check. The canonical status of this game is up for debate and I understand why. The gameplay is basic MGS, more reminiscent of MGS1 & 2 than 3. And while the simplicity is charming in a way, everything else in the story and presentation is done better elsewhere, making recommending this to anyone besides the most die-hard Metal Gear fans a tough sell.

Benedict

How much of The Witcher III did you beat?

I like Luigi's Mansion DM a lot in principle, though ultimately I found myself wishing for twin stick controls and checkpoints in the missions!

Also, for your 52, if you have shorter games, you could try to get through them like I am! Game Boy games are perfect for this event. :p

Yes, checkpoints was sorely missed.
I have some games going on that I started.
One is a Kirby gameboy game, but I keep puttting that back since it's so boring and soulless.
Played a lot of Hidden Object games last year on Steam. Which was short and very good games.

OK I'm starting to post my progress now but until now I didn't keep a chronological order.

1. Contradiction. Spot the Liar
A low budget FMV game that got my attention due to the Giant Bomb coverage. And I absolutely loved it. Sure there are flaws but that game just oozes charm. 8/10

2. Fallout 4
It was fun messing around in this sandbox the story fell flat, but still an enjoyable game. 7/10

3. Her Story
I wish there was a little bit more of interaction with the character but it was an interesting approach. I pieced the story together way too quickly because I got "lucky". I hope more of these games are made in the future. 7/10

4. MGS V :TPP
Probably the greatest stealth-action game ever made. It was a little thin on the narrative side but I didn't care because I like MGS games kind of despite their ridiculous plots. 10/10 and my GOTG so far.

5.F1 2015
A really good racing games that is kind of bare bones on the content side but the racing itself feels great 8/10

6.Olli Olii 2
Had this in my backlog for a while and it's the perfect game for a short session. Easy to learn and impossible to master ;) 9/10

7. Broken Age
Charming game. sometimes puzzles were a little bit easy but it has that Tim Schafer feel to it. 7/10

8.Grim Fandango Remastered
Simply put: a masterpiece. 10/10

9.Life is Strange
A game full of cringey teenager drama and emo music. I should have hated it but it has so much charm and heart and the choices felt meaningful. I don't know why,but: 9/10

10. Well kind of 10 because I left it incomplete: The Witcher 3
Geralt controls horribly, the witcher sense mechanic felt tedious and the combat is just OK. The story didn't grab me at all but the world definitely looks nice. 5/10

Will start to play Wolfenstein TNO tonight.
edit: Fuck that, I will revist one of my favorite games of all time. I will play through MGS1 again (thanks Oreoleo for the idea to revisit the series). I've never played it on an emulator in 1920x1080 so it will kind of feel like a new game ;)
edit 2: Will type out more detailed reviews and impressions when I'm at the 1/4 mark.

Would you say that it was

A Remasterpiece

The controls felt intuitive enough and the humor still works. I hoped for a complete remake but I think the remaster is really well done.
Although it felt a little bit cheap to play through this again because I remembered the tougher puzzles in the game despite not having played it in over 15 years ;)

edit:: Damn,epsxe with the slowboot coupled wiith the Policenauts-Konami jingle felt like heaven. I might finish MGS today and get started on Wolfenstein :)

The controls felt intuitive enough and the humor still works. I hoped for a complete remake but I think the remaster is really well done.
Although it felt a little bit cheap to play through this again because I remembered the tougher puzzles in the game despite not having played it in over 15 years ;)

edit:: Damn,epsxe with the slowboot coupled wiith the Policenauts-Konami jingle felt like heaven. I might finish MGS today and get started on Wolfenstein :)

Keep at it! I'm working on Firewatch and Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, with Grim Fandango Remastered and Broken Age down the road. And since you mentioned Wolfenstein, I gotta get around to beating The Old Blood.

Taking a break from MGS after roughly 2 hours. Still feels amazing, and I wouldnt have gotten the idea to replay it without this thread so I will donate $10 to charity for every game I finish in this "challenge".

Falchion

Updated my OP.

14) Mirror's Edge - 3 hours - 2/21
Wanted to replay this before Catalyst comes out this May; still one of my favorite games of all time. Sometimes the action comes to a screeching halt when you have to do some slow climbing or grab a gun but when you're in the flow moving quick and darting all over the place, it's a dream.

Game 5 - Lego Marvel's Avengers (PS4)
Fun game, but suffers a little bit by being tied to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Lego Marvel Super Heroes greatly benefited from having an original story where you didn't know where it was gonna go next, and probably also with the inclusion of the X-Men and Fantastic Four. Avengers felt like I was just going through the motions in the story missions. I found it much more fun just wandering around the hub worlds seeing who was going to show up next. All in all a decent play, but didn't like it nearly as much as LMSH or the Lego Harry Potter games, which I still consider the best of the franchise.

Game 6 - Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin - Platinum Trophy (PS4)
Actually pretty much finished it twice this year during my platinum hunt, but I'm happy to have done it, if nothing more just to see how quickly I got through the first half of the game. Ended up past the Shrine of Winter within about two hours on a leisurely playthrough and getting all the Lord Souls. All in all it's worth a play if you're into this sort of thing, despite what a good chunk of the Souls fanbase will tell you. Maybe don't go for the Platinum though. There's only so many times you can fight Throne Watcher/Defender and Nashandra and then die on Aldia, without getting any Sunlight Medals.

Game 7 - Demon's Souls (PS3)
I made a thread a while back sort of logging my trek through Demon's Souls, before forgetting that I was playing it when I was the middle of Boletarian Palace 1-4 with all the other demons. Definitely feels like the foundation Dark Souls was built on and bettered, but also has some really good bits. Tower of Latria is absolutely one of the most atmospheric stages in all of the Soulsborne franchise, with a good trio of interesting bosses to boot. On top of those three, other highlights included Maiden Astraea, Tower Knight, Old King Allant and Flamelurker. I strongly dislike Shrine of Storms 4-2 and Valley of Defilement 5-2, however. They're both up there with New Londo Ruins and No Man's Wharf as my most detested Souls stages. Still worth a play though.

11th game: MGS 5 hours
It's still a really good game. For.a PSX game it held up well graphically and it plays well, especially the boss fights still feel tense. Sure the plot is nonsensical and there are some cringeworthy moments but the game still has an intense atmosphere to it wih great music.
If the game came out today it would still be a good game so it's not just nostalgia talking, With 3 nostalgia points added it's a 10/10. ;)

I think I will binge play the MGS series and put Wolfenstein on hold for a little.

GLuigi

OP

Game #3: Mabinogi Duel (Mobile) - 10 Hours
Finished all the story quests. This game is basically Nexon's attempt at making a card game that is simple to pick up, but can be very dynamic with its strategies. I have to say they did a darn good job of doing it without being too similar with it's competitors. Main difference with this card game is that you don't get to choose where your card attacks, instead they automatically attack whatever is in front of them. If there is no card in front of them, then you do direct damage to your enemy's hero. So this places a huge emphasis on card placement.

Single player is a pretty unique experience. It reminds me a lot of Hearthstone's League of Explorers adventure where you have to play through special situations (such as escaping a cave before it collapses) rather than straight up fights sometimes. Also each mission, you are provided with a specialized deck so you can breeze through story right away. Being a F2P game, I never felt that the game was trying to slow down my progress to try to get me to fork over real money. I also never ran into the problem of being out of energy, since I always got free refills for playing in their "Arena" mode.

Overall its a nice alternative to Hearthstone. I will pick up the game again once more story content comes out

Game #4: Steins;Gate (PSVita) - 14 Hours
This particular playthrough was about getting the final two endings and whatever collectible achievements I needed for the platinum trophy.

This is a really great visual novel to play. It starts out really slow, but once it gets going it really doesn't lift its foot off the breaks. My first experience with SG was the anime, but i completely blanked out on what happened in the middle (which included a lot of plot twists) so it was great to sort of experience it again for the "first time". Also getting to know some characters a bit more with the different endings made me start to like characters that I previously didn't enjoy and the characters I already like, I love them even more now. I enjoyed the cell phone "gameplay" it was like getting a nice present. It was fun being able to read and "reply" to messages that Okabe gets. Also big props to Mamoru Miyano, Okabe's voice actor. The guy killed it during the mad scientist laughs and just adding a ton of personality and variety to Okabe's voice.

Now Playing: Project X Zone 2, Xenoblade Chronicles X (at the final boss), FE Fates: Birthright, Undertale,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom