• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Review Scores - March 2010

Baki

Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (DS) – 7.5
Aliens vs. Predator (Multi) – 5.75
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (Multi) – 9.5 / 9.5

Bioshock 2 (Multi) – 8.25
Blood Bowl (360) – 7.75
Dante’s Inferno (PS3/360) – 7 / 6.75
Divinity 2: Ego Draconis (PC) – 7
Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) – 9.25
Heavy Rain (PS3) – 9.5 / 8.5

Lunar: Silver Star Harmony (PSP) – 8
Mass Effect 2 (360) – 9.75 / 9.75
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle (Wii) – 8.5
Puzzle Chronicles (DS/PSP) – 7
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS) – 8.75
Tropico 3 (360) – 8.75
White Knight Chronicles (PS3) – 7.25

Source

Durante

That FF13 score is higher than I expected (but I haven't read anything about the game since ~1 month before the JP release, so what would I know).

Mass Effect 2 is as expected, I guess the PC version is a 10 then.

Divinity 2 deserves higher, what were their complaints?

I've not read Game Informer, but I'm puzzled by the scores:

Its like - they want to have the simplicity of EDGE and rate games out of ten, but unlike EDGE they are not willing to use the whole scale.

Thus we have scores to two decimal places.

Which is just daft.

Durante

DennisK4 said:
If you want the future of big budget JRPGs to be extreme linearity and no towns, sure.
I don't think you need to worry much, it's not like the future of JRPGs after FF12 was MMO-like battle systems and huge roaming explorable areas. You can say what you want about Square but they're very willing to try different things in each numbered FF entry.

Darklord

Banned
Baki said:

To be honest the reviews sounded kinda dodgy. It's complaints were the motion sensor picking up enemies, predators using stealth rather than brute and Aliens climbing walls can get disorientating(which is like all other AvP's)...so I might wait for other reviews.

i have a feeling that my prediction of FFXIII getting high scores even though it's stripped down in damn near every possible way will come true.

DennisK4 said:
If you want the future of big budget JRPGs to be extreme linearity and no towns, sure.

I'm not all too fussed tbh. Final Fantasy X was linear and I loved every moment of it.

These reviewers mustn't have seen it as that much of a 'flaw' either.

Dennis

Banned
Durante said:
I don't think you need to worry much, it's not like the future of JRPGs after FF12 was MMO-like battle systems and huge roaming explorable areas. You can say what you want about Square but they're very willing to try different things in each numbered FF entry.
Now we just need to give Square the proper feedback - please, no one buy FF XIII !

DieH@rd

Banned
Baki said:
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (Multi) – 9.5 / 9.5

funny-pictures-racoon-yes.jpg

I don't really care about the score for AvP since the demo was so fun. I'm assuming that the MP mode will be a blast, and the SP will be solid if uninspiring which is fine for me

zoukka

WickedLaharl said:
i have a feeling that my prediction of FFXIII getting high scores even though it's stripped down in damn near every possible way will come true.

A true prophet you are.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Wow at Heavy Rain!

Bioshock 2 seems low and FF13 seems high to me.

Nice score for NMH2. Should be bolded in the OP.

Durante

WickedLaharl said:
Well, in many ways, Mass Effect 2 is also greatly stripped down compared to Mass Effect 1. That doesn't prevent it from being an even better game.

DennisK4 said:
Now we just need to give Square the proper feedback - please, no one buy FF XIII !
I'll decide the "proper" feedback on my own, thank you very much.

Xater

jetsetfluken said:
Aw, I thought AVP was supposed to be good.

Or is it one of those mixed reviews situations...

With Rebellion doing it? Why?

For the record: I don't think Avp (1999) was a good game and only AvP2 from Monolith got the formula right.

Weenerz

Banned
Dante and BioShock got really lower scores, bleh. Glad ME2 got what it deserved, what an amazing game. Also the MP demo of AvP was trash, so I expect the game to get panned as well.

Moobabe

Weenerz said:
Dante and BioShock got really lower scores, bleh. Glad ME2 got what it deserved, what an amazing game. Also the MP demo of AvP was trash, so I expect the game to get panned as well.

8.25 is low?

I'm so angry about 2k's stupid DRM schemes for Bioshock 2 PC, so I really hope that the game crash and burn in the reviews. Petty, I know, but they have acted so arrogant about it in the games official forums that I really do feel that way.

Kabouter

Haven't played most, but Mass Effect 2 may well end up my GOTY and Tropico 3 is great fun and well worth playing.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Mama Robotnik said:
I've not read Game Informer, but I'm puzzled by the scores:

Its like - they want to have the simplicity of EDGE and rate games out of ten, but unlike EDGE they are not willing to use the whole scale.

Thus we have scores to two decimal places.

Which is just daft.

you're right. here, let me translate:

Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (DS) – 5
Aliens vs. Predator (Multi) – 3
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (Multi) – 9
Bioshock 2 (Multi) – 7
Blood Bowl (360) – 6
Dante’s Inferno (PS3/360) – 5
Divinity 2: Ego Draconis (PC) – 5
Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) – 9
Heavy Rain (PS3) – 9
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony (PSP) – 7
Mass Effect 2 (360) – 10
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle (Wii) – 8
Puzzle Chronicles (DS/PSP) – 5
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS) – 8
Tropico 3 (360) – 8

Danthrax said:
you're right. here, let me translate:

Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (DS) – 5
Aliens vs. Predator (Multi) – 3
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (Multi) – 9
Bioshock 2 (Multi) – 7
Blood Bowl (360) – 6
Dante’s Inferno (PS3/360) – 5
Divinity 2: Ego Draconis (PC) – 5
Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) – 9
Heavy Rain (PS3) – 9
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony (PSP) – 7
Mass Effect 2 (360) – 10
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle (Wii) – 8
Puzzle Chronicles (DS/PSP) – 5
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS) – 8
Tropico 3 (360) – 8

Spot on, makes loads more sense now!

Darklord said:
To be honest the reviews sounded kinda dodgy. It's complaints were the motion sensor picking up enemies, predators using stealth rather than brute and Aliens climbing walls can get disorientating(which is like all other AvP's)...so I might wait for other reviews.
That's... impressive? Going by the GAF impressions in the demo thread I wouldn't trust the mainstream press on this one.

Baki said:
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (DS) – 7.5
Honestly, as much as I dont want to admit it, its always looked pretty "7-ish".

Baki said:
Not sure where the surprise is coming from. This game has always looked sub par from my standpoint.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Mama Robotnik said:
Spot on, makes loads more sense now!

I think so, too! My translations actually look accurate considering what GI was trying to say AND they're easier to read :lol

shockingly good scores.

Dante and NMH2 are a tad too high, but other than that this is as accurate as it gets. My hat is off to GI.

Darklord

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
That's... impressive? Going by the GAF impressions in the demo thread I wouldn't trust the mainstream press on this one.

Half the people were hating the game without playing it because of the shocking matchmaking which will be a non-issue at least on PC for the most part. The people who played it were 50/50.

Danthrax said:
I think so, too! My translations actually look accurate considering what GI was trying to say AND they're easier to read :lol

Boggles the mind that they can't see the absurdity of "9.25, 9.5, 9.75", I mean really, what is the point of that decimal place? Why not just rate the games from seven-hundred to a thousand?

Danthrax, you now have to translate the next EDGE thread to Game-Informer scores. Its your duty as the man who can.

Haunted

That's a 7-10 scale if I've ever seen one. Only a single game gets less than a 7. :lol

But hey, who knows, maybe all of these games are just that good.

Durante

Mama Robotnik said:
Boggles the mind that they can't see the absurdity of "9.25, 9.5, 9.75", I mean really, what is the point of that decimal place? Why not just rate the games from seven-hundred to a thousand?
Actually, it seems like they would be happy rating games out of 40.

Top Bottom