• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Primal PC performance thread

Rizific

color me surprised

2500k at 4ghz
game defaulted to everything high, smaa, motion blur on

min fps 43
avg fps 52
max fps 62
frames rendered 2606

we'll see how the game plays now.

This has to do with you assuming that the performance situation present in the launch version of FCP won't change with patches later even though in the same paragraph you're saying that it has changed in RotTR.

theres no reason to assume performance will improve

diamount

Banned
I'm getting a solid 55-60fps on very high settings with my 980 Ti. Playing at 3440x1440, this is with the latest drivers - never attempted before it was available.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
My issue isn't with AMD here, it's with several AMD fans who don't know jack shit about anything h/w related but are always running around screaming how async compute will bake bread in DX12 on their Pitcairns.

Was this referred to me?

mate,

you didn't even know DX11 processes render commands in single threaded mode. You thought DX11 issue with amd cards was purely due to "unoptimized" AMD drivers. You didn't even know why maxwell works really well under DX11 and why it doesn't see performance gains under DX12.

Just let it go man. The tide is turning. It may only last another 5 months, but it is turning. Any good sensor can sense shifts in either direction. Your sensor is broken.

dr_rus

there are none in this case

There are reasons why it perform as badly as it does on NV h/w. Depending on how willing both the dev and NV will be - they may fix this in patches / drivers down the line.

And yeah, there are lots of reasons why a game may underperform on NV h/w without proper optimization.

There are reasons why it perform as badly as it does on NV h/w. Depending on how willing both the dev and NV will be - they may fix this in patches / drivers down the line.

And yeah, there are lots of reasons why a game may underperform on NV h/w without proper optimization.
I see no recent precedent that leads me to believe performance will improve. Almost every ubisoft game this gen runs better on amd as long as you dont use certain gamework effects(pcss and tess effects), and this hasnt ever changed post release unless im mistaken. And looking at the most relevent title, far cry 4, nothing changed for nvidia throughout the 10 patchesthat game received.

I see no recent precedent that leads me to believe performance will improve. Almost every ubisoft game this gen runs better on amd as long as you dont use certain gamework effects(pcss and tess effects), and this hasnt ever changed post release unless im mistaken. And looking at the most relevent title, far cry 4, nothing changed for nvidia throughout the 10 patchesthat game received.

Unity

jackft

Neo Member
Am I the only one to find colors like, washed out, with too much brightness / gamma ?

Strangely, I don't have this problem on Far Cry 4, where colors look vibrant !

I did a quick benchmark comparison for my i5-2500k at 4.0 ghz vs 4.5 ghz. Figured I'd post the results if anyone is interested.

Specs:
i5-2500K
GTX 970 SSC
8GB 1600mhz DDR3 ram
WD caviar black HD

Graphics settings were set to Ultra and Shadow Quality was bumped down to Very High.

4.0 ghz:

Min 47 fps
Avg 60 fps
Max 71 fps

4.5 ghz:

Min 47 fps
Avg 60 fps
Max 72 fps

Identical results. Interesting considering Far Cry 4 definitely had documented gains when overclocking your processor. Maybe the benchmark doesn't really stress the CPU?

nynt9

I'm having a weird issue. The game runs fine, but in menus (including crafting) I'm experiencing extreme slowdown/stuttering. My rig is dual 980, i7 5th gen, 16GB RAM. Any ideas?

Evo X

UPlay just prompted me to download a 127MB patch. Did anyone else get one?

Can't find any notes regarding it.

CHC

I'm using a SweetFX profile that helps fix the washed-out look and makes the colours more vibrant - http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/5287/

I also have the brightness or gamma turned down a notch in-game I think.

Am I the only one to find colors like, washed out, with too much brightness / gamma ?

Strangely, I don't have this problem on Far Cry 4, where colors look vibrant !

Yeah, things looks very washed out by default.

K-putt's configs are always great and add a nice, responsible amount of color correction without spoiling the original intent.

Deepo

Patch 1.2 released, at least on UPlay

Patch Notes:

Stability and Performance
- Improved performance and stability
- Fixed low occurrence specific crashes

Gameplay
- Improved the overall difficulty of a mission
- Fixed an edge case issue where the XP is not updated
- Fixed issue where the kills from companion animals does not update under specific condition
- Fixed a bug where a weapon switched automatically when using the speed boost
- Fixed a rare issue where the player is vulnerable when trying to heal
- Fixed a low occurrence issue where the player is unable to loot
- Fixed an issue where the player can be teleport outside the mission zone when riding any animals
- Fixed issues with Hardsave not functional if the user performs specific action
- Fixed a trophy update issue when taming one of the beasts
- Fixed a player’s movement issue when capturing an outpost
- Fixed a 2 seconds freeze when player pauses the game during few specific animations
- Fixed a waterfall effect issue during a cinematic
- Fixed an edge case issue where the player cannot pet smaller companions
- Fixed an issue where the “heal beast” and “ride” actions does not always work on sloping terrain
- Fixed a blood trail visual issue when using the hunting vision

Lighting and FX
- Fixed some lighting issues in specific areas

Wildlife and AI
- Improved the AI navigation in a specific outpost
- Fixed low occurrence navigation issues with the companions
- Fixed some edge case animation issues with animals and companions

Missions/Activities/World
- Fixed Missions and Activities blockers when performing specific actions
- Fixed few spawning issues with the players and specific animals
- Fixed an issue where the player can complete one of the mission twice
- Fixed issues where the player can’t climb a vine when performing certain actions
- Fixed edge case issues where the player can remain stuck if he interacts with stones and plants
- Fixed an issue where the player is unable to fast travel
- Fixed objective issues when performing specific actions
- Fixed edge cases navigation issues in the World

Menu/UI/Map
- Added an option to not show enemies in the minimap
- Added a button to disable the HUD option
- Added new tutorial page to match description and picture
- Fixed an issue where a button is misplaced in the reward stash
- Fixed some displaying issues with the HUD and the World Map
- Fixed an issue where a fail prompt does not appear under specific conditions
- Fixed an issue where the XP prompt remains present on the HUD
- Fixed icons issues in specific activities
- Fixed few minor issues where a waypoint is not displayed properly
- Fixed an issue where the outpost counter does not update
- Added a visual guideline for one of the achievements

Audio
- Fixed a sound issue with burning fire during the playgo
- Added a missing SFX during a specific Quick Time Event attack
- Added a missing Audio line during a cinematic

Localization/Text
- Fixed issues when subtitles go past menu borders in some languages
- Fixed an issue where collectibles text can be overlapped by an event notification
- Added missing subtitles when skipping a cinematic
- Fixed incorrect messages appearing on screen after specific actions

PC:

- Improved 4K and UHD resolution support
- Multi-GPU configuration fixes for both SLI and CFX
- Improved the lighting FX for water surfaces
- Fixed wrong behavior after certain controls customization
- Minor PC UI fixes

Added bonus: -skipintro no longer works. FFS. They pulled that stunt with Far Cry 4 as well.

dr_rus

- Improved performance and stability
Not from where I'm sitting:

v1.1
post.cgi2eqml.jpg

v1.2
fcprimal_2016_03_16_0r0osm.jpg

That's on i7 3820 / GTX 980Ti G1 in 2560x1600.

Backlogger

1440p
3570k at ~3.9
R9 290 4GB

I had to set to medium or normal settings. I get between 45-60 FPS

Is that expected? I dunno sometimes I feel like I don't get the performance out of my R9 that I should be but maybe its due to the 1440p more than anything else.

1440p
3570k at ~3.9
R9 290 4GB

I had to set to medium or normal settings. I get between 45-60 FPS

Is that expected? I dunno sometimes I feel like I don't get the performance out of my R9 that I should be but maybe its due to the 1440p more than anything else.

It's definitely because of 1440p.
The R9 290 is a damn fine 1080p card, but struggles at higher resolutions.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ugh, started playing it few days ago, idk. should i wait for 4K textures, but i am sure that they will kill my performance.

Well, they certainly will if you don't have the VRAM to handle them. The recommended VRAM requirements for R6 Siege's pack probably offer some insight:

The Rainbow Six Siege team put a lot of effort to try to deliver a solid and scalable experience to the PC community, so those of you running a 4 GB GPU will still be able to enjoy this texture pack from 1080p to 1440p resolutions.

Those of you with the high-end 6+ GB GPUs, you will be able to play the game in sharp 4K resolution, along with these Ultra-HD textures under standard lighting and shading options.

Last but not least, for those of you with the MEGA PCs with dual GPUs and with more than 6 GB of video ram, you will be able to run 4K, with the Ultra-HD textures, and with the highest settings of lighting and shading which take advantage of tech like displacement mapping.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I'm running this with two 980s in SLI and i7 4790.
While the benchmark results are still between 40 and 60, the game then runs soothly at Ultra, down-sampled 60fps.

For some reason i always have to alt+tab out and disable and re-enable the affinity for CPU2, otherwise the game maxes that one core up to 100% and ignores the others mostly.
Does anyone know what the problem is? (Should not be core parking as I'm on W10)

blakdeth

It is a shame that survival mode is coming out just as I am about to complete this game. I don't think it's worth a second playthrough. Good luck to those starting a new game after this patch hits.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
v1.3 was released a few hours ago:

################################################################################

NEW – Survivor Mode
- Available in New Gameplay Options when starting a New Game
- New – Stamina Bar added
-- Stamina depletes slowly during gameplay
-- Stamina depletes faster when walking/running/being in combat
-- Fast travel consumes stamina
-- Stamina can be regenerated by sleeping and eating food recipes
-- Manual heal and fast travel costs stamina
-- Low stamina slows down movement and health regen. At 0 stamina, manual heal and fast travel are disabled.
- Tamed Beasts
-- New – Permadeath for Tamed Beasts
---- If a Beast dies, the player must find and tame a new one
---- This also applies to Legendary Beasts, they can never be found again if they die
---- Skinning a Beast after they die gives you a skin
-- New – Beast riding fatigue introduced – After some time of continuous riding, mounted Beast will start taking damage
-- In order to activate the taming option for Sabretooth Tigers, Brown Bears and Cave Bears, you must first inflict them serious damage
-- Non-legendary tamed Beasts health has been reduced
-- Owl attacks and bomb drops have been disabled
- World/Resources
-- Less natural resources are available in the world and less are looted when gathering
-- Less daily resources added to the Reward Stash from Wenja population level
-- Resources in the Reward Stash can only be withdrawn at the Village Stash
-- Requirements for rare animal skins have been reduced when upgrading huts
-- Night lasts longer and is darker
-- Campfire Fast Travel points are no longer unlocked by default when claiming a bonfire
- Skills
-- XP Curve has been adjusted to be more progressive
-- Certain “over-powered” skills have been removed
-- Effects of other skills have been re-balanced
-- Skill points cost has been rebalanced
- Gameplay
-- Bow tension added requiring players to pull back the arrow all the way to get maximum impact
-- Weapon durability has been tweaked to be more realistic when thrown weapons hit hard or soft surfaces
-- Weapons are consumed more quickly by fire
-- Less slow-motion effect from the Weapon Wheel, Food Grid and Beast Grid
-- Crafting ammo in the Weapon Wheel now requires a hold to craft
-- Most bag capacity has been reduced
-- Player’s health regen speed has been reduced
-- Some healing recipes now require red leaves in addition to green leaves
-- Cold depletion rate has been increased
-- Fully upgraded Winter Clothes no longer offer total protection from the cold
-- Weapons on fire will extinguish when swapping between weapons (Expert difficulty only)
-- Fast Travel now costs Stamina and Meat, proportionally to distance
-- Mini-map has been removed
-- Shaders on tagged enemies have been removed
-- Several UI options have been set to off by default to increase immersion, (but can be re-enabled)
-- Hunter Vision duration has been set to 20s be default (duration can now be modified in the settings)
-- Fog of war reveal radius has been reduced
-- Can only Save & Quit when not in Combat
-- Game difficulty cannot be changed once started in Survivor Mode with Permadeath
- AI/Wildlife
-- Enemies are more reactive and aggressive in combat
-- Wildlife detects you more easily
-- Blood trails from wounded animals are harder to track
-- Reduced overall animal density during the day, and increased density of predators at night
-- Reduced human density and frequency of Wenja events
-- Wenja fighters are less resilient
-- Predators no longer show up in Hunter Vision unless they are aggressive toward the player, dead or a Tamed Beast
-- Reduced health for Legendary Beasts, Batari and Ull

NEW – Permadeath
- Available in New Gameplay Options when starting a New Game with Survivor Mode turned On
- Three Options Available – Off, On, Second Chance
-- Off – You respawn when you die
-- On – The game is over when you die
-- Second Chance – You only respawn if you completed enough of the game since your last death, (every 3% as depicted in the player’s overall progress)
-- Failing during Tensay’s Vision missions does not count as dying. (You’re dreaming after all)

- Fixed an issue where player could lose their inventory when swapping weapons in specific conditions
- Fixed some specific, low occurrence crashes

Gameplay
- New Option in Gameplay Menu – Hunter Vision Duration – Can toggle the duration of Hunter Vision (Default/20s/30s/Infinite)
- New Option in the Interface Menu – Hide the bow reticle unless you are aiming or holding the bow ready
- Fixed melee damage resistance skill also affecting ranged damage
- Increased critical health in hard/expert difficulty modes

Lighting and FX
- Fixed a lighting issue on bodies of water that would cause color to briefly change when exiting caves
- Minor fixes to clipping issues

Wildlife and AI
- Various bug fixes

Missions/Activities/World
- Fixed a grapple location north of Tushwarha Outpost that would cause the player to fall to his death when trying to climb down
- Fixed an issue where players could exit the map in the mission – Vision of Ice
- Fixed an issue where players could exit the map in Shayu’s Cave
- Fixed a couple issues where players could get stuck in the Dangu Cave
- Fixed an issue where players could get stuck in an infinite death loop after completing the mission – Into Udam Land
- Fixed some resources that would cause the player to become stuck in the map when gathering them
- Fixed an issue where Bite Fish weren’t spawning in certain locations on the map
- Fixed an issue where player could get stuck in the falling obelisk outside of the Batari’s Temple in the Izila Homeland

Menu/UI/Map
- Fixed an issue that would cause one of the life bars to flicker in specific conditions
- Fixed an issue where a “Location Discovered” prompt would remain on screen during cut-scenes in specific situations
- Fixed an issue where some icons remained on screen when using the “Turn All Off” option in the Interface menu

PC:

NEW - Ultra-HD texture pack
Add option to turn off mouse deadzones
Interface and input tweaks
Various minor bug fixes

As expected, the Ultra HD texture pack will be optional DLC, and weigh in at roughly 3.2GB, but it's not out just yet.

Edit: It's out. The DLC app was added to the game's subs but needs to be ticked to trigger the download. I'm no longer at my PC, so no screenshots, I'm afraid.

blakdeth

Am I reading the patch notes correctly where it says the new survival mode will only be available when starting a new game? If so, that's a shame. I was looking forward to the new survival mode, but not enough to justify a second playthrough.

NeoRaider

I can barely see any difference. Most of the textures look exactly the same to me, some are little less blurry but it's really hard to notice it. Imo. this is far from "HD textures":

fcprimal2016-04-1221-24slt.png

fcprimal2016-04-1221-xdsmx.png

fcprimal2016-04-1221-yps78.png

fcprimal2016-04-1221-j8spi.png

It's really hard to take exactly the same screenshots and in the same conditions because you have to restart the game for settings to take the effect.

Everything is on Ultra settings/1440p resolution. Performance with/without "HD" textures looks the same to me.

Kezen

Banned
I can't tell the differences while playing either. The game is said to consume 78% of my VRAM in the benchmark vs 55 without the ultra textures.

dr_rus

Yeah, I see no change whatsoever even in static screens I've taken so I won't even post them. I wonder if something's bugged? Or if there's just some specific place in the game which is improved?

wazoo

Far Cry Primal runs better on AMD, that is great for AMD owners.

Still, the lack of gameworks bonus is bad. i do not care if games run fluid if they are doing less effects than last year game.

Deepo

I can't believe they introduce a new mode that's only available on a New Game, but we're still only allowed one save game. Pointless regression. So stupid.

dr_rus

There are some really minor changes, like the arrows and the hair in the third shot. But this is really underwhelming for a rather considerable download especially as the new textures are still pretty far from being perfect.

Top Bottom