• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itslit

Banned
I hope Bernie doesn't just start attacking Hillary's record heavily in the debate now that it's really do or die time for his campaign, he should have started much earlier if he wanted to make an actual impact with that (and I wish he would have).

I hope Bernie doesn't just start attacking Hillary's record heavily in the debate now that it's really do or die time for his campaign, he should have started much earlier if he wanted to make an actual impact with that (and I wish he would have).

He may, like some of his supporters maybe he feels the establishment is robbing him by making black voters vote for Hillary.

NeoXChaos

Bernie is probably in till June. He's got all the caucuses up till the end of April that will likely go to him aside from Hawaii. He also has the WI primary on April 5th.

Itslit

Banned
He may, like some of his supporters maybe he feels the establishment is robbing him by making black voters vote for Hillary.
Wait what does the issue of Hillary, Bernie, and black voters have to do with my post?
Seems like you just want to bring it up for some random slander.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

Shh! Nobody is supposed to know about that secret chip they implant during voter registration...

You can't vote. You're a fish.

I can only vote if Trump makes Anime real.

Why are there so many damn Democrat debates within a few days of each other?

DWS has no idea what she is doing.

Gruco

Banned
I really can't buy the idea that Trump v Cruz is a stable space for republicans to compete over. I mean, I would LOVE for that to be true, but it would make the pushback we've seen so far look like child's play. If Rubio's death spiral continues through Florida and he drops out, I can imagine new relevance for Kasich. Potentially big showings possible for him in MI, OH and maybe IL.

The main result of that would be that it makes things really difficult for Trump. Cruz/Kasich have almost no overlap and can tag team Trump without hurting one another.

NeoXChaos

I was thinking the magic number could be reached if Rubio's delegates vote for the candidate with the mandate from the voters, but I guess if Rubio wants to save the party he could probably avoid the convention fight altogether by just releasing his delegates long before the convention happens.

as slimy as cruz is I can see him and Trump working together. They both know the establishment don't want either of them.

NeoXChaos

Same. The primaries will likely be over by then, but if Bernie wins the entire west coast that should help send a message to the party going forward, so I'll still do my part.

He'll probably win WA and OR but lose CA. OR might be like the WI primary. Close but Bernie pulls it out.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
As people here probably know, the Electoral College does not give votes evenly based on population. I decided to check based on the 2010 census to figure how much each state should get and what I found is the current numbers screw the Democrats.

Big differences are:
  • California should have 11 more votes
  • New York should have 5 more votes
  • Florida should have 4 more votes
  • Texas should have 6-7 more votes
If you don't round the delegates up per state, you would have 526 total with 264 to win. Considering just the safe states, Democrats have a 218-155 advantage. If you do round up, that's 548 delegates with 275 to win. Democrats than lead 227-162. Arizona, Louisiana, Maryland, Tennessee and Wisconsin have the appropriate number of votes in either scenario.

I'd rather all the states follow Nebraska and Maine but they should at least be more evenly distributed.

Sianos

i feel Unclean - but hearing that rmoney might try to jump headfirst into the gears to try and grind them to a halt at the expense of what little dignity he has left cheers me up

I know Hawaii is overwhelmingly Democratic but are they all that liberal? I have to imagine Hillary's Obama credibility helps but it's interesting to me.

tmarg

I really can't buy the idea that Trump v Cruz is a stable space for republicans to compete over. I mean, I would LOVE for that to be true, but it would make the pushback we've seen so far look like child's play. If Rubio's death spiral continues through Florida and he drops out, I can imagine new relevance for Kasich. Potentially big showings possible for him in MI, OH and maybe IL.

The main result of that would be that it makes things really difficult for Trump. Cruz/Kasich have almost no overlap and can tag team Trump without hurting one another.

I really think the best choice for republicans right now is to back Cruz. Spew bullshit about how the party stood up to the vile racist trump and defeated him. They'd still take a big L in November, but the party might survive.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
as slimy as cruz is I can see him and Trump working together. They both know the establishment don't want either of them.

I could see that.

Trump should actually love the idea of a brokered convention, given how great of a deal maker he supposedly is.

Iolo

Choose your own adventure:

1. There's a lot of primaries and caucuses upcoming.

or

2. DWS is the worst.

Actually, you can pick both I decided.

Tonight's debate is one of the 3 extra debates, it's not DWS's fault.

(and it's a good idea just to contrast with republicans. and, if Bernie mentions his lines on super pacs, billionaires, paid speeches, and Hillary's trade policies, everyone will finally realize he's right and the revolution can begin)

As people here probably know, the Electoral College does not give votes evenly based on population. I decided to check based on the 2010 census to figure how much each state should get and what I found is the current numbers screw the Democrats.

Big differences are:
  • California should have 11 more votes
  • New York should have 5 more votes
  • Florida should have 4 more votes
  • Texas should have 6-7 more votes
If you don't round the delegates up per state, you would have 526 total with 264 to win. Considering just the safe states, Democrats have a 218-155 advantage. If you do round up, that's 548 delegates with 275 to win. Democrats than lead 227-162. Arizona, Louisiana, Maryland, Tennessee and Wisconsin have the appropriate number of votes in either scenario.

I'd rather all the states follow Nebraska and Maine but they should at least be more evenly distributed.

What's interesting to me is the "National Popular Vote" system proposed by FairVote:

We should elect the president by a national popular vote—and there's a state-based, constitutional way to do so: The National Popular Vote interstate compact.

The Constitution gives states full control over how they allocate their electoral votes. The current winner-take-all method, in which the winner of the statewide popular vote wins all of that state's electoral votes, is a choice—and states can choose differently. Under the National Popular Vote interstate compact, states choose to allocate their electoral votes to the candidate who wins the most popular votes in all 50 states and DC. This compact takes effect only when enough states sign on to guarantee that the national popular vote winner wins the presidency. That means states with a combined total of 270 electoral votes—a majority of the Electoral College—must join the compact for it to take effect.

The National Popular Vote plan has bipartisan support and has been introduced in all 50 state legislatures. To date, 10 states and DC have passed legislation to enter the compact for a combined total of 165 electoral votes, meaning the compact is over 60% of the way to activation.

So in this way, you could have the state's electors choose the president based on the popular vote instead of the electoral college, and it's actually within the constitution to do so. Isn't that something?

I really really hate the Maine-Nebraska system. It's bad enough that we gerrymander the House of Representatives; we don't need to gerrymander the presidency as well.

From a purely self-interested standpoint it also pretty consistently benefits Republicans. Most notably, it would have thrown the 2012 election to Romney, 274-264. But I think it's a bad system regardless.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Goddamnit now friends who's politics I generally respect are posting macros on Facebook about how $HILL did something or other

For the first time I really understand what that bullshit is like

I really really hate the Maine-Nebraska system. It's bad enough that we gerrymander the House of Representatives; we don't need to gerrymander the presidency as well.

From a purely self-interested standpoint it also pretty consistently benefits Republicans. Most notably, it would have thrown the 2012 election to Romney, 274-264. But I think it's a bad system regardless.

Yeah, under that system you are over-powering the rural areas of the country. The House already does that.

Holmes

Sanders should win Washington, barring any major collapse. Oregon is in mid-May, after Clinton will probably have clenched the nomination so it might go to her. If it were to vote at the same time as Washington, it would go to Sanders. As for California, there's no doubt in my mind that it'll be Clinton. My Hillary-loving mother-in-law is voting for Trump so he wins the state though.

Goddamnit now friends who's politics I generally respect are posting macros on Facebook about how $HILL did something or other

For the first time I really understand what that bullshit is like

I signed into Facebook a little while ago for the first time in a week. First thing I saw was an unironic post saying "actually all lives matter". NOPE.

PBY

Banned
Sanders should win Washington, barring any major collapse. Oregon is in mid-May, after Clinton will probably have clenched the nomination so it might go to her. If it were to vote at the same time as Washington, it would go to Sanders. As for California, there's no doubt in my mind that it'll be Clinton. My Hillary-loving mother-in-law is voting for Trump so he wins the state though.
God bless your mother in law.

She the real queen.

Cerium

Last I read, Trump isn't polling too well on the West Coast. It was considered one of his weakest regions.

But if the choice is Trump or Cruz...

I mean they're both going to deport Mexicans but only one of them wants to kill the gays.

Dem debates are an utter waste of time at this point.

I consider modern debates to be entirely free of substance, but at least the GOP debates embrace that lack of substance. GOP debates are like political rap battles without the rhymes.
Honestly, I agree with you. But general election debates, I'm still looking forward to. Especially if its Cruz. That might be fun.

Illinois here. I'm a Hill Shill, but the dem primary all but locked up so I'm considering voting kasich in the primary. Unlike others on here I think Trump should be blocked from the nomination. He's a very dangerous demagogue.
I'm the same way. I honestly think his rhetoric needs to be stifled as soon as possible to stop it from being more damaging.

He'll probably win WA and OR but lose CA. OR might be like the WI primary. Close but Bernie pulls it out.

Nah. I think we'll see that the west coast is to Bernie what the deep south is to Hillary. Not by quite the same margins, but I expect double digit victories in each one.

CA will be the closest, though, certainly.

And there's no way in hell Bernie wins Oregon by a lower margin than he won Kansas. Oregon is liberal Kansas.

Edit - I should add that this assumes at least the illusion of a competitive primary by the time these states vote.

tmarg

I disagree. It's out there. Let's just burn this whole thing down while we're here.

Yep. It doesn't go away if trump loses the primary. I actually think it bubbling to the surface this election will ultimately be a good thing. Republicans will need to move away from that kind of messaging, or risk another trump.

ivysaur12

Banned
Nah. I think we'll see that the west coast is to Bernie what the deep south is to Hillary. Not by quite the same margins, but I expect double digit victories in each one.

And there's no way in hell Bernie wins Oregon by a lower margin than he won Kansas. Oregon is liberal Kansas.

I don't think there are enough rural whites/Berkleys/north-of-the-10 LA areas to deliver CA to Bernie.

NeoXChaos

Edit - I should add that this assumes at least the illusion of a competitive primary by the time these states vote.

WA is in 3 weeks. OR is in 2 months. CA is in 3 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom