• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Just started playing after buying the game on its release date last year in May or whatever. I played a bit back then but stopped because of framerate issues, UI problems, etc. Glad I waited...game is much more playable now and I'm enjoying it so far.

Feeling very overwhelmed, though, with all that their is to do. Kinda crazy how many little systems and items there are that come into play. What's the best way to get new equipment? Have it crafted? Buy it? Find it? Just looking for some guidance as far as starting out goes. I'm not really a completionist so I have no intent to complete every single side quest or find all the hidden areas, etc.

For armour I used the best stuff I found until I came across diagrams for witcher armor like Feline, Wolf etc.

Im only a few hours in but after glitching money I feel I can I can actually play the game. Having to manage overburden, picking every flower traveling back to stashes to keep what to dismantle and sell feels like horrible waste as it is in every game with limited inventory or weight limits and repairing equipment.
... Crafting supplies don't have weight

DMTripper

Im only a few hours in but after glitching money I feel I can I can actually play the game. Having to manage overburden, picking every flower traveling back to stashes to keep what to dismantle and sell feels like horrible waste as it is in every game with limited inventory or weight limits and repairing equipment.

People may disagree but the first thing I did (I'm on PC) was to increase carty weight to 9000 and install the debug console to get extra coin. I can also recommend the fast travel anywhere mod... This saves so much time it's unreal.

However if on console then sorry :-(

Amon37

... Crafting supplies don't have weight

I know I meant in an attempt to sell them for money.

People may disagree but the first thing I did (I'm on PC) was to increase carty weight to 9000 and install the debug console to get extra coin. I can also recommend the fast travel anywhere mod... This saves so much time it's unreal.

I'm on ps4 so I have to go through a weird glitch in order to get money and duplicate items. Fast travel anywhere would he great.

I just made it out of white orchard and am having a great time with the game.

Coreda

One thing that would be neat to see for (PC) mods is an in-world justification for a sudden increase in a consumable stat, such as money. Like tweaking a quest so a monster fight was more difficult but the chest located nearby contained a fortune.

ColdPizza

Banned

Half of the cool things you may discover are from just following every trail on the map you can.

Though this would be useful for just doing some other things such as crafting or going for geent cards etc

MadYarpen

Just finished my 2nd run through the game. Performance in last section is sooo much improved - it almost ruined my experience in the first playthroug. Now it run smoothly (PS4, BTW).

With lvl 35 geralt and mastercrafted wolf armor and mastercrafted bear swords I think I am ready to start DLC. Cannot wait. Already went sightseeing new area, very well made and blends with original terrain so nicely.

DMTripper

Half of the cool things you may discover are from just following every trail on the map you can.

Though this would be useful for just doing some other things such as crafting or going for geent cards etc

Yeah I use it for crafting and annoying quests where you have to backtrack a lot. It's just nice to have the choice.

Hopefully I'll get time to put a few hours in this week :)

ColdPizza

Banned
Just finished my 2nd run through the game. Performance in last section is sooo much improved - it almost ruined my experience in the first playthroug. Now it run smoothly (PS4, BTW).

With lvl 35 geralt and mastercrafted wolf armor and mastercrafted bear swords I think I am ready to start DLC. Cannot wait. Already went sightseeing new area, very well made and blends with original terrain so nicely.

I'm still annoyed the wolf armor is bugged out for me on the PS4.

ColdPizza

Banned
That is a shame, it looks the best. What is the bug?

heh, I have every diagram for every level, but in order to get the initial set, you have to open a chest in an old crumbled tower in Kaer Morhen to get some letter which unlocks the locations of the other pieces. That chest is unopenable for me (and many others). There's also a portal that is deactivated and the crystal to activate it is missing.

They've actually already patched this bug for some, but it hasn't worked for me.

The completist in me weeps.

Is there any way to have 3 decoctions active at once without overdosing?

I just found the Ekhidna / Ekimarra decoction combination which is ridiculously overpowered and helps a ton on Death March. Having a 3rd one on top of that would be awesome

MadYarpen

heh, I have every diagram for every level, but in order to get the initial set, you have to open a chest in an old crumbled tower in Kaer Morhen to get some letter which unlocks the locations of the other pieces. That chest is unopenable for me (and many others). There's also a portal that is deactivated and the crystal to activate it is missing.

They've actually already patched this bug for some, but it hasn't worked for me.

This sucks. Sorry to hear.

Thorgal

Is there any way to have 3 decoctions active at once without overdosing?

I just found the Ekhidna / Ekimarra decoction combination which is ridiculously overpowered and helps a ton on Death March. Having a 3rd one on top of that would be awesome

you can with this alchemy build : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc3lFWB69BM

d3dCLbj.png

Seibmoz

Just finished my first play through. Completed every Witcher contract and side quest before finishing up the main story. Man what a ride, few games achieve the level of story telling that I found in this game and I'm just dying for more. About to start HOS as soon as I decompress. Probably one if my top 5 games ever!

Just beat the game, only about 6 or 7 easy combat trophies to clean up and I should have the platinum.

Such a good game.

Total playtime: 93 hours

Just finished my first play through. Completed every Witcher contract and side quest before finishing up the main story. Man what a ride, few games achieve the level of story telling that I found in this game and I'm just dying for more. About to start HOS as soon as I decompress. Probably one if my top 5 games ever!
Yeah this game definitely broke into my best games of all time list. I'm waiting for the second dlc to drop before I go back in for a second time, game took me like 3 months to complete first time around lol

LogicStep

I finally finished the main story a couple of days ago and started Hearts of Stone. I have to say this dlc has been much more interesting than the main story of the game. I wish the game wouldn't end. The dlc and side missions of the main game are just superb. When's the next dlc dropping? And on a side note, is Cyberpunk going to be PC exclusive?

I finally finished the main story a couple of days ago and started Hearts of Stone. I have to say this dlc has been much more interesting than the main story of the game. I wish the game wouldn't end. The dlc and side missions of the main game are just superb. When's the next dlc dropping? And on a side note, is Cyberpunk going to be PC exclusive?

I don;t think its been announced for consoles, but after the success of The Witcher 3, I can't imagine them not releasing on consoles.

diamount

Banned

I can see it hitting around May time, maybe coinciding with the game's one year anniversary. But there is no chance any of their games going forward will be PC-exclusive - it cannot be justified after the game selling gangbusters, with the lionshare on consoles.

Coreda

There's also a portal that is deactivated and the crystal to activate it is missing.

Is the missing crystal part of the bug? As it took me a while to discover where it was initially.

Philtastic

I finally found a decent group of 4 wraiths in a confined area that were around my level (currently level 31 after doing a slew of main quests) for me to do a tips video on wraiths. Some of it is basic stuff but here are my tips on making them pretty easy. In the video, I demonstrate these tips by fighting this group multiple times:

- Keep them corporeal using Yrden and Moon Dust bombs
- Dodge their teleport attacks. You can hear them disappear which means a teleport attack will happen in the next couple of seconds.
- Parry/counter-attack their regular swings. This negates the damage and gives you a free swing.
- Blizzard potion, which slows down time after you kill something, is super effective.
- Petri's Philter potion is also pretty good for granting increased sign intensity which increases the slowdown effect of Yrden.
- Reliever's Decoction isn't so bad either which grants 10% extra damage against wraiths and decreases their damage by 15-30%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAXeL_Ajebs

Auctopus

About 2/3 of the way through "The Last Wish" and it's so great hearing stories that fed into The Wild Hunt.

- butcher of Blaviken.
- How Geralt "met" Ciri, met her Mother.

Coreda

I finally found a decent group of 4 wraiths in a confined area that were around my level (currently level 31 after doing a slew of main quests) for me to do a tips video on wraiths. Some of it is basic stuff but here are my tips on making them pretty easy. In the video, I demonstrate these tips by fighting this group multiple times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAXeL_Ajebs

Wraiths in confined spaces can be especially annoying, though the same could be said for almost every opponent in the game, haha. Definitely guilty of some dodge spamming during encounters.

Yes. There is.

Found it in the Quest log. Apparently related to the single HoS I didn't intend to start as I didn't like the character :p Ended up completing it to see what happened but it wasn't a highlight tbh.

Just got the platinum trophy. Immediately checked my playtime and it was 4 days, 4 hours, 0 minutes, 0 seconds.

So literally 100 hours to the second. What are the chances!

MadYarpen

About 2/3 of the way through "The Last Wish" and it's so great hearing stories that fed into The Wild Hunt.

- butcher of Blaviken.
- How Geralt "met" Ciri, met her Mother.
I envy you, reading books for the first time is... Well sadly possible only once:( you have a great story to read, it is really something. Share your verdict later on!

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Just finished Hearts of Stone and what a fantastic experience, I probably enjoyed it to some degree more than the main game. Ending left me a bit unsatisfied (so short...), but the characters that were there with me till the end really left a mark on me. I hope Blood&Wine will lend a similar experience :p

cackhyena

Does Hearts of Stone keep you at whatever level you finished the main game? I put this game off for so long and finally got it on sale on psn. I finally get why so many raved about it. I've never taken so many screenshots as inspiration for my illustrations.

I'm only in the middle of the Bloody Baron quest. So much to do.

LogicStep

Hmm you keep getting experience and leveling. I started it at 30 (it's the req) and I'm 36 now more or less.

If I want to get into Gwent, never bothered with it, should I go into NG+? I dunno if I want to go through everything again, game is so long..

MadYarpen

Hmm you keep getting experience and leveling. I started it at 30 (it's the req) and I'm 36 now more or less.

If I want to get into Gwent, never bothered with it, should I go into NG+? I dunno if I want to go through everything again, game is so long..

There are always different endings to see, and different ladies to plough.

LogicStep

Don't know though because I'd hate to start ng+ and have the new dlc drop and be way under level to even do it. Maybe I'll start a new game..

Coreda

Thought I'd share some of the results of my rooftop adventuring, initially mentioned much earlier in the thread. Outside of completing the occasional sidequest finding new paths to the tops of buildings and high places has become its own interesting challenge, and something I hope they continue to allow for in future games. It's like the forbidden fruit of video games ´ڡ`

(Unlike the screenshots from the PC screenshots thread these have some slight level adjustment for consistency)

Some of the roofs/high places reached, including surrounding areas:

• Triss' house
  • The Rosemary and Thyme
  • Balcony opposite the Rosemary and Thyme
  • The Passiflora
  • Crippled Kate's
  • Oxenfurt Academy
  • Hierach Square on all sides
  • Wooden balcony adjacent to Vivaldi Bank
  • St. Gregory's Bridge main archway and brazen bowl inset area
  • High cathedral-like buildings opposite St. Gregory's Bridge main archway
  • Buildings along upper Novigrad main road, opposite the gardens
  • Above the archers guarding the upper Novigrad main road
  • Buildings surrounding the theatre troupe grounds
  • Oxenfurt barracks
  • Baron's residence in Crow's Perch
  • Von Everec manor
  • Novigrad Docks warehouses
  • Various wooden platforms/bridges seen between buildings in Novigrad

Oxenfurt Academy was a challenge. The only path that seemed possible has invisible barriers placed above it, unlike most other roofs (which are either solid or hollow and usually try to place any barriers further down), so you'll die what feels like countless times from hitting one and sliding off the edge unintentionally. Most frustrating. Took around two dozen or more attempts to finally discover above one of the stepped roof stones an invisible platform that if you manage to successfully jump atop and press hard against will slowly move you up and onto the roof, where you can drop down into the area.

Interestingly (minor HoS sidequest location spoilers)
the area of Oxenfurt where the Shani quest takes place is accessible by jumping over a specific building.
I wonder if any of that area exists for users who haven't installed HoS, or how the game would handle bypassing the regular route.

Kaer Trolde Keep is one that would be nice to find a path above. Have reached the empty platform to its side, but there are thick invisible barriers surrounding the main tower. Another interesting place to revisit would the areas in the
Avallac'h quest
from act three.

Top Bottom