• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Philtastic

Was Death March your first play through? Fwiw when i went back at level 11 I didn't even get hit, so I could have done it at much lower level, i was just put off by how imbalanced it was at the recommended level.

Part of it is that when i went back i had more experience and was just better since it was my first play through, so I suspect I could do it at 5 or 6 now. But i think it should have been later in the game after people learn to play better. Or put more lower level wraiths in the game to give people experience fighting groups of them.

At the very least you should be allowed to save between fights or have a checkpoint. 3 minutes of waiting for ecery 30 seconds of playing is just bad design

Unrelated question: After i beat the game, can i use my same character to begin HoS in the same world with all the choices ive made and it just picks up where the story left off? Or is it different?

That video was from way back last year in May on my first (and current!) playthrough. I'm obviously a lot better at the game now and would have used a different strategy (much more parry/counter-attack) but that was when I was learning the game along with everyone else. Partly the reason you wouldn't have gotten hit at level 11 (other than what you stated, being better at the game now) is that you were probably killing them in 3-4 swings so you would never have more than 2 on you at a time which is another reason why I don't like the level system: it's often the case that you aren't at the exact level that the content is designed for, thus the game will usually be too easy since you out level it OR it'll be frustratingly difficult. At my current level of 28, I basically out level every quest I come across. On Death March, I can still die but that's really only if I'm not paying attention.

In any case, I would argue that this fight is well balanced given that you are playing on the hardest difficult while still learning the game: it is guaranteed to be difficult or seem nearly impossible. If you really needed to see how that story branch panned out, you could have lowered the difficulty. It is all on you for attempting to do this fight at the hardest difficulty. If it wasn't difficult, then they didn't tune the hardest difficulty correctly.

What's the best way to level up quickly? I'm level 27 and I almost have all of the side quests and contracts done but I'm still so far from the dlc level requirement of 32. I realize I can access the quests but the enemies are way too hard even if I drop the difficulty. I haven't finished the game yet because I wanted to do the dlc first since apparently the game is "over" after you beat it and you can't just keep going to finish any sidequests or dlc you didn't do.

Where are you in the story? If you haven't done "
Isle of Mists
" yet, I recommend you do it since that quest chain bumps you up at least 3-4 levels.

Edit: I also recommend doing the DLC before finishing the main game, since certain characters have a bit of dialogue relating to the DLC and they aren't around once you finish the game. The extra dialogue is really small, but I feel like it adds to the ambiance of the game.

Sorry for not working at the beggining but is solid now.

I'm thinking of skipping 1 because the combat is tier-shit. Should I?

and well, b&w will only come in june lol I will have the time

GHG

Sorry for not working at the beggining but is solid now.

I'm thinking of skipping 1 because the combat is tier-shit. Should I?

and well, b&w will only come in june lol I will have the time

Well... Some people say the same thing about the Witcher 3.

120px-Transparent_Trollface2.png

DarkFlame

Banned
nah witcher 3 combat is dope

im still streaming

first game has a good story so far imo

Don't skip the first game.Imo it has the most interesting main story between the 3 games.The combat can be tolerable,but the skill tree,mutagen and potion creation is far more interesting than W3

Believe me,you might dislike the combat,but when you finish the game you'll just stand in awe

ColdPizza

Banned
Hearts of Stone stuff below

Kind of underwhelmed by the runewright stuff...this might have been nice before I fully upgraded all of my witcher gear upgrades.

Does anyone have any good armor/weapon runewords/glyphwords I should try out?

Also, are there actually any crafting diagrams for the New Moon stuff? So far I don't think I have found any (just the armor).

MrTexor

Just started playing witcher 3. I had witcher 2 but could never get into it like with witcher 3. but I have a question. Should I go around the map before moving to the next zone? Or are the quests (both main and secondary) going to once in a while send me to an older location?

Just started playing witcher 3. I had witcher 2 but could never get into it like with witcher 3. but I have a question. Should I go around the map before moving to the next zone? Or are the quests (both main and secondary) going to once in a while send me to an older location?

You can go around and do some stuff, but don't get too caught up on trying to 100% the map before moving on. You will see why once you get to the next map.

You can always travel back and do stuff at your own leisure.

If you clear the entire map before moving on, you will be overleveled. Besides, both maps are gigantic and you do not want to burn out on the game before reaching Skellige.

MrTexor

You can go around and do some stuff, but don't get too caught up on trying to 100% the map before moving on. You will see why once you get to the next map.

You can always travel back and do stuff at your own leisure.

If you clear the entire map before moving on, you will be overleveled. Besides, both maps are gigantic and you do not want to burn out on the game before reaching Skellige.

Thank you.

I definitely don't want to burn out on the game like I did with MGV.

Hearts of Stone stuff below

Kind of underwhelmed by the runewright stuff...this might have been nice before I fully upgraded all of my witcher gear upgrades.

Does anyone have any good armor/weapon runewords/glyphwords I should try out?

Also, are there actually any crafting diagrams for the New Moon stuff? So far I don't think I have found any (just the armor).

Runewright is not worth the investment, just complete his quest but don't waste any money on him. Better yet, make a backup save, upgrade him and try out some runes so that you can revert back when you're unsatisfied.

ColdPizza

Banned
Runewright is not worth the investment, just complete his quest but don't waste any money on him. Better yet, make a backup save, upgrade him and try out some runes so that you can revert back when you're unsatisfied.

Meh. Money comes easy in this game. I had that saved up from all of the smugglers caches I sold off.

Thrakier

Did they change the graphics somehow? I always had stable 60 fps in the past with my 970 at 980 level but I'm now at 50 fps with the same settings.

Coreda

Hey guys. I've never posted in any of the OTs, but I played TW3 last month and I ended up really really loving it. I wrote an article on it that The Mary Sue published:

http://www.themarysue.com/witcher-3-parenting-lessons/

It's about Geralt and Ciri. I think some of you might like it, so I just thought I'd share. (Spoilers, of course.)

Nice piece.

When the two are together, they have a clear and mutual understanding of each other; Ciri respects Geralt’s intentions and wisdom, while he respects her determination and ability. This is more than a father/daughter relationship; it’s a partnership. It’s a professional and his young ward, and it’s the core that drives the entire narrative of The Witcher 3.

It's one thing I liked about the handling of their relationship. In my playthrough at least he's not attempting change her mind to suit his will or be overly protective but to keep his distance in a way, give her advice when she needs it and let her find her own path. And you can sense she appreciates that understanding, even in the face of some seemingly rash decisions.

What's the best merchant to sell items to? I'm always running near 0 on gold, need to figure out how to make money. I know weapons to blacksmith and armor to armorers, but what about common / junk items, and runes? And which specific merchants pay the most? I know even among merchants of the same type, not all pay the same.

Google only finds results from 8 months ago where you could sell full price to a guy in Novigrad, but that's fixed

Nordicus

What's the best merchant to sell items to? I'm always running near 0 on gold, need to figure out how to make money. I know weapons to blacksmith and armor to armorers, but what about common / junk items, and runes? And which specific merchants pay the most? I know even among merchants of the same type, not all pay the same.
The armorer and blacksmith in central Novigrad usually pay the best for armor and weapons, and will have multiple thousand crowns to use. Sell your runes/glyphs to them as well, and any extra crafting components.

Innkeepers pay the most for furs and jewelry.

Until you get to Skellige where smugglers' stahes will potentially give 1000+ crowns per stash, I would guess one of the best ways to make money is probably finding a spot where wraiths spawn a lot and farm them, because they often drop crafting dusts that sell for hundred crowns a piece

Coreda

I'm always running near 0 on gold, need to figure out how to make money.

If you haven't already it's worth going to the Vivaldi bank and converting any currency you've picked up on your travels. I find I usually get around 1k Crowns whenever I visit.

Matush

Google only finds results from 8 months ago where you could sell full price to a guy in Novigrad, but that's fixed
Sell your armor/weapons to blacksmith on square in Novigrad, books on the same place, there is unmarked merchant near rugs. And yeah, once you reach Skellige there is shitload of smugglers stashes in the sea with high level gear that you can sell.

DMTripper

Hey,

Myself and my daughter have been playing witcher 3. Both have different saves I'm a third of the way in and she was at the bloody baron.

Trouble is her save file has completely disappeared. When you load up the game and go to load game all it shows is a bunch of my saves and hers have gone.

Is there anyway to retrieve the file? Why is it that all saves even tho they are different play through are put together? Seems really lame as most games have different files for different games..

Any help would be great!

BTW I'm on PC and have the game through GOG. It's a total bummer as she was really enjoying the game :-/

Edit. Also I've been super careful not to overwrite her save as I was suspicious that something like this would happen. Sucks that saves are not separated...

Edit 2.. Tring to find the save file in the game folder but no joy. Would I be able to find it and use it? Bit of a PC n00b, sorry.

Edit 3. Found file with saves in but no sign of her save. As she wasn't far in I think she'll start again. But will the same shit happen?

Hey,

Myself and my daughter have been playing witcher 3. Both have different saves I'm a third of the way in and she was at the bloody baron.

Trouble is her save file has completely disappeared. When you load up the game and go to load game all it shows is a bunch of my saves and hers have gone.

Is there anyway to retrieve the file? Why is it that all saves even tho they are different play through are put together? Seems really lame as most games have different files for different games..

Any help would be great!

BTW I'm on PC and have the game through GOG. It's a total bummer as she was really enjoying the game :-/

Edit. Also I've been super careful not to overwrite her save as I was suspicious that something like this would happen. Sucks that saves are not separated...

Edit 2.. Tring to find the save file in the game folder but no joy. Would I be able to find it and use it? Bit of a PC n00b, sorry.

Edit 3. Found file with saves in but no sign of her save. As she wasn't far in I think she'll start again. But will the same shit happen?

Is it possible her save was an autosave or checkpoint?

I'm afraid you're most likely shit out of luck. I don't know about PC, but on console the way you'd avoid this is by logging in with different users.

DMTripper

Is it possible her save was an autosave or checkpoint?

I'm afraid you're most likely shit out of luck. I don't know about PC, but on console the way you'd avoid this is by logging in with different users.

I'm certain she did some manual saves. Honestly don't know what is going on. Still even be my fault but I'm sure I didn't write over her save. All her checkpoints are gone as well.

On PC you just get the one save box when you load up the game. It's pretty messed up that you can't have different save files that are independent of each other.

Just hoping it doesn't happen again. I would be really pissed off to lose my save. I'm loving the game as well! Definitely awesome :)

/shave before the Skellige wake to look sexy as shit

Yen: "What made you decide to grow out your beard Geralt? It suits you"

Overall as a non-book reader I really dislike how they handle Yen in the game. She struts in like it's no big deal even though you've been searching for her incessantly for the last two games and then it reeks of them trying to force me to care about her because of their deep backstory.... one which I never experienced. But then they don't even do a good job with that because her first line of quests is well after the initial Velen and Novigrad stuff and after Triss' romance conclusion.

ColdPizza

Banned
Hey,

Any help would be great!

If she blows through the dialog options (if she remembers what happened thus far and doesn't car3), she can probably get back to the Bloody Baron in probably 2-3 hours (probably even less, I think I'm being generous here).

Coreda

Hey,

Trouble is her save file has completely disappeared.
Any help would be great!

What a pity! Unless you have File History enabled on Windows 8, or an earlier drive backup I'm not sure anything can be done, though others may have a suggestion. I usually make zipped backups of the game save directory every so often, but there are auto backup tools available.

After a bit of googling found a Witcher 3 profile manager for PC. It's a launcher that appears to allow for multiple save profiles.

Reading the posts and documentation of the above program I'd make a backup copy of the saves folder first before testing it. I'm also using the GOG version and the default location in my case is D:\Documents\The Witcher 3\gamesaves.

/shave before the Skellige wake to look sexy as shit

Yen: "What made you decide to grow out your beard Geralt? It suits you"

Overall as a non-book reader I really dislike how they handle Yen in the game. She struts in like it's no big deal even though you've been searching for her incessantly for the last two games and then it reeks of them trying to force me to care about her because of their deep backstory.... one which I never experienced. But then they don't even do a good job with that because her first line of quests is well after the initial Velen and Novigrad stuff and after Triss' romance conclusion.
I just googled that shit. I was up to speed before I even played the game, despite never having read the books or played the first two games properly.

Flipyap

Reading the books doesn't change much there. Yennefer's introduction makes little sense either way.
The characters' apathy makes it seem like the devs have thrown away both their own setup for the game series (Geralt sacrificing himself to free Yennefer) and characterization of the relationship at the end of the novels (in her last appearance in the novel, Yennefer tells Geralt to forget the past and that she'll never leave him again, which then transitions to her going off to do her own thing and obsessing over the past in the video game).
Just like they've done with Ciri, they've basically rewound their character development to some random point before the original ending to make her fit the story they wanted to tell. The books can give you a vague idea of what to expect from a character when you meet them, but the games take place in their own world which doesn't always line up with Sapkowski's stories.

Yeah I may do that, even though I played the first two games. Either way it's bad storytelling.
I think the Witcher 3 is an example of amazing storytelling, maybe the best in gaming.

The schizophrenic relationship between the source material and the previous games might throw fans of either (or both) off, but as someone coming in fresh I thought everything worked well. I knew about the genesis of the Yen/Geralt relationship, and I understood Ciri's background. I also understood the reason for the existence of Witchers, understood their existence as social outcasts, and got a recent history of the Northern Wars. That's pretty much all you need the know and I got it in about 15 minutes on the Internet prior to playing.

I think if you're playing a game based on hefty source material, or a game with a "3" in the title, and you have no previous exposure, it behoves you to get yourself up to speed. I did the same when I played Warhammer 40K: Space Marine.

When i watched the heard of stone trailer, the last thing I expected was that geralt is going to spend most of the main quest line
fullfiling wishes for Olgierd

Gunther O'dimm:
"Olgeird is one hell of a villian , worse than most. Go make his wishes come true!"

I think the Witcher 3 is an example of amazing storytelling, maybe the best in gaming.

The schizophrenic relationship between the source material and the previous games might throw fans of either (or both) off, but as someone coming in fresh I thought everything worked well. I knew about the genesis of the Yen/Geralt relationship, and I understood Ciri's background. I also understood the reason for the existence of Witchers, understood their existence as social outcasts, and got a recent history of the Northern Wars. That's pretty much all you need the know and I got it in about 15 minutes on the Internet prior to playing.

I think if you're playing a game based on hefty source material, or a game with a "3" in the title, and you have no previous exposure, it behoves you to get yourself up to speed. I did the same when I played Warhammer 40K: Space Marine.
I mean I've played both previous games so it's not like I'm just jumping in and demanding to know what's going on. I know the history of the Witcher and all that, I'm just saying this specific plot point is really poorly done and I don't think I'm alone in thinking that.

cormack12

Gold Member
Up to 70 hours and just made it to Skellige, kicking off the questline after freeing
Dandelion
. Got to say the last few hours have thrown a few missions at me where I've been in tiny rooms with multiple enemies and it has not been fun at all. A couple have been fistfights and I've not had access to signs, cameras been spazzing out all over the place etc. Then I was offered the option to interject on some peasants getting treated roughly by some guards in Novigrad. I did and all four proper went for me. They were level 33 and I'm like level 18. Got laid out.

Ho hum. Might take a little break but they felt a little cheap.

Up to 70 hours and just made it to Skellige, kicking off the questline after freeing
Dandelion
. Got to say the last few hours have thrown a few missions at me where I've been in tiny rooms with multiple enemies and it has not been fun at all. A couple have been fistfights and I've not had access to signs, cameras been spazzing out all over the place etc. Then I was offered the option to interject on some peasants getting treated roughly by some guards in Novigrad. I did and all four proper went for me. They were level 33 and I'm like level 18. Got laid out.

Novigrad was definitely the worst part for me so far. Absolutely loved Velen, just wanted to explore forever, but with Novigrad I just wasn't really feeling the whole big city / political underworld shit. In hindsight the story portion in Novigrad was well done, but I just didn't really like the feeling of being in a big city all the time, I wanted to be out in the wild exploring shit.

I just finished up Skellige and unlocked the quest to proceed to the next portion of the game, and I have to say I think Skellige was by far my favorite area of the game. I want to spend some more time there exploring and doing side quests, because it's a really cool area. I'll do that, and go back and clean up some trophies, and then proceed.

Also, yea fistfight against 3 people in an enclosed area is just stupid.

Philtastic

Dandelion

Novigrad was definitely the worst part for me so far. Absolutely loved Velen, just wanted to explore forever, but with Novigrad I just wasn't really feeling the whole big city / political underworld shit. In hindsight the story portion in Novigrad was well done, but I just didn't really like the feeling of being in a big city all the time, I wanted to be out in the wild exploring shit.

I just finished up Skellige and unlocked the quest to proceed to the next portion of the game, and I have to say I think Skellige was by far my favorite area of the game. I want to spend some more time there exploring and doing side quests, because it's a really cool area. I'll do that, and go back and clean up some trophies, and then proceed.

Also, yea fistfight against 3 people in an enclosed area is just stupid.

I agree that Novigrad was the slowest and least interesting part of the game. I did, however, really like the fights in enclosed spaces because they change things up. You can't use the exact same strategies that you're used to in wide open spaces. This is where parry really shines since you can no longer reliably dodge/roll. You'll also want to use more crowd control since it's more likely that you'll be surrounded.

Fist fights are incredibly easy because it always boils down to parry, strike 2-3 times, and repeat. Never dodge in a fist fight because you're likely to still get hit.

Top Bottom