• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm doing a replay of the game and trying different things. i wanted to
kill radovid
in my initial playthrough but never got to do it. i've read that if you
kick Djikstra (which I did) then this is the reason you can't kill Radovid
? So do i just avoid doing that again and side with
Roche so Djikstra doesn't rule?
or is there something else I'm missing? I just don't want to play through and find out I've done it wrong.

also, regarding armour/swords...so far i've just been wearing the temerian set you buy from the guy in white orchard and i had the viper swords for a while but replaced them. i don't really like just equipping pieces i loot because geralt ends up looking real stupid and i don't really like many of the witcher sets. the only one is the wolven set you can find at Kaer Morhen. of course you don't get there until later on in the game...will my temerian armour be good enough to last me until i get there? i'm still at novigrad right now. just about to go meet Roche.

ColdPizza

Banned
i'm doing a replay of the game and trying different things. i wanted to kill radovid in my initial playthrough but never got to do it. i've read that if you kick Djikstra (which I did) then this is the reason you can't kill Radovid? So do i just avoid doing that again and side with Roche so Djikstra doesn't rule? or is there something else I'm missing? I just don't want to play through and find out I've done it wrong.

That all happens after you kill Radovid. Just make sure you do the following quests:

The necessary quests are all found in Novigrad. They are as follows:

Redania's Most Wanted
An Eye for an Eye
A Matter of Life and Death
Now or Never
A Deadly Plot
[Main Quest] Blindingly Obvious (must always choose first dialogue choice at end of quest when talking to Dijkstra and Philippa)
Reason of State

Coreda

i'm doing a replay of the game and trying different things. i wanted to
kill radovid
in my initial playthrough but never got to do it. i've read that if you
kick Djikstra (which I did) then this is the reason you can't kill Radovid?
So do i just avoid doing that again and side with
Roche so Djikstra doesn't rule?
or is there something else I'm missing? I just don't want to play through and find out I've done it wrong.

Worth marking spoilers. Some are still playing for the first time after all.

jaaz

LTTP: Playing with mouse and keyboard and the input lag during combat is killing me. I am seriously considering using a Xbone controller to play. Is this a known issue and is there a fix, or should I just give up and use a controller?

I've grown accustomed to the combat in this game but holy crap but holy crap sometimes it is still absolutely awful. First there was the fight against a Chort, where every single time you get hit by an attack involving its head (which is often) using Quen it knocks you back and stuns you. It doesn't even bother to do a follow up attack either, so its just like 3-4 seconds of waiting every time. Not to mention the battle area was way too small and very glitchy, lots of weirdness with it going against a wall and "climbing" it. If any of you have seen experienced Roach going down a hill with his hind legs levitating in the air it was like that.

Then after that I was hunting for the Bear School gear and got stuck fighting some harpies in an extremely small area next to a cliff. Maybe I've missed it, but not being able to jump when in combat mode can be infuriating when Geralt can't even jump up like a foot off the ground. Not to mention earlier there was a time when I actually got stuck in a small sinkhole in Velen and got murdered by drowners because I couldn't jump. tl;dr Trying to do non-combat things in combat mode is basically impossible.

Other stuff:

- I like Gwent but it gets way too easy way too quickly if you have any idea what you are doing. The number of cards you have vs. your opponent is pretty much the deciding factor of every single game. Not to mention the AI is mostly terrible and does weird things like wasting the "rally horn" on rows with one dude, auto-using scorch whenever something with a value greater than 10 appears, throwing rounds after using like 2 cards or when they only have a 10 point advantage... etc.

- Having to move all the way over from weapons/armor to the merchant's stuff every single time I want to buy something is a huge pain.

- The crafting system is pretty much a mess of just collecting everything you can find and then hoping you have the right supplies for the job.

- Regular weapons/armor become completely worthless the second you make your first full set of Witcher gear.

- Mind control Axii literally breaks the game in most instances, not to mention being super buggy. There was a water hag contract in Skellige that I beat by just mind-controlling some drowners around her who then proceeded to kill her in like four hits.

- Horse racing sucks

..that said, as my second playthrough I'm really enjoying this game a lot more.

ColdPizza

Banned
I've grown accustomed to the combat in this game but holy crap but holy crap sometimes it is still absolutely awful. First there was the fight against a Chort, where every single time you get hit by an attack involving its head (which is often) using Quen it knocks you back and stuns you. It doesn't even bother to do a follow up attack either, so its just like 3-4 seconds of waiting every time. Not to mention the battle area was way too small and very glitchy, lots of weirdness with it going against a wall and "climbing" it. If any of you have seen experienced Roach going down a hill with his hind legs levitating in the air it was like that.

Then after that I was hunting for the Bear School gear and got stuck fighting some harpies in an extremely small area next to a cliff. Maybe I've missed it, but not being able to jump when in combat mode can be infuriating when Geralt can't even jump up like a foot off the ground. Not to mention earlier there was a time when I actually got stuck in a small sinkhole in Velen and got murdered by drowners because I couldn't jump. tl;dr Trying to do non-combat things in combat mode is basically impossible.

Other stuff:

- I like Gwent but it gets way too easy way too quickly if you have any idea what you are doing. The number of cards you have vs. your opponent is pretty much the deciding factor of every single game. Not to mention the AI is mostly terrible and does weird things like wasting the "rally horn" on rows with one dude, auto-using scorch whenever something with a value greater than 10 appears, throwing rounds after using like 2 cards or when they only have a 10 point advantage... etc.

- Having to move all the way over from weapons/armor to the merchant's stuff every single time I want to buy something is a huge pain.

- The crafting system is pretty much a mess of just collecting everything you can find and then hoping you have the right supplies for the job.

- Regular weapons/armor become completely worthless the second you make your first full set of Witcher gear.

- Mind control Axii literally breaks the game in most instances, not to mention being super buggy. There was a water hag contract in Skellige that I beat by just mind-controlling some drowners around her who then proceeded to kill her in like four hits.

- Horse racing sucks

..that said, as my second playthrough I'm really enjoying this game a lot more.

I remember the Chort fight and yeah, that confined space it seemed buggy to me.

Horse racing was dumb, I never lost...no challenge so it was just a chore to me.

Yeah, the Axii...either they would kill someone or get killed in 1 hit...I don't get it.

You can change the Gwent difficulty in the options menu though I'm not sure how much difference it makes.

Philtastic

This is what I always talk about: people who are bad at the game blaming it on the game. Did you ever think that, just maybe, you shouldn't let yourself get hit by the Chort? It's pretty quick for its size with massive blows that Quen doesn't cushion: maybe you should prevent it from hitting you. Here are a few tactics that make the fight super easy:
1) Light him on fire either with Igni or, more reliably, throw a Dancing Star at him. He will just flail around on fire while you wail away on him. Use a Tawny Owl potion for more Ignis. If you have it, use Petri's Philter potion for a higher/guaranteed chance of lighting on fire. Don't even bother with Quen.
2) As the bestiary hints, poisoning him with Devil's Puffball bombs basically allow you to just drain his health. This approach is a bit slow and doesn't make it any easier to get attacks in which is why I recommend approach 1.
3) Bait him to charge at you and into walls and objects. He gets stunned which gives you a good opportunity to wail away.
4) If you just can't avoid getting hit and stunned, use a Noonwraith Decoction to significantly reduce the stun duration.

I'm not sure if the Chort is supposed to do a follow up to its stun attack (it could be a move for when it's accompanied by other creatures or just to emphasize that you don't want to get hit by it) and obviously glitching along walls isn't supposed to happen but seriously, complaining about getting hit in this game is like complaining that Dark Souls is hard because things hit you. Just don't get hit. Figure out ways not to get hit and to work with the spaces they give you.

Concerning the harpies near a cliff, again, stop using Quen. Seriously, the times I actually use Quen are limited to just really large, slow moving enemies that you intentionally cannot easily dodge. Against the vast majority of enemies, Quen is the worst sign that you could use. Use Aard against harpies which will ground a bunch of them and allow you an instant kill (Tawny Owl for more Aards). You can also parry/counter-attack flying enemies which not only cancels their attack but gives you a free strike and grounds them for the kill. You can literally just stand in one place and just parry against harpies which basically makes you invulnerable to them. Again, you have to stop thinking that you can just Quen up and swing your sword.

ColdPizza

Banned
This is what I always talk about: people who are bad at the game blaming it on the game. Did you ever think that, just maybe, you shouldn't let yourself get hit by the Chort? It's pretty quick for its size with massive blows that Quen doesn't cushion: maybe you should prevent it from hitting you. Here are a few tactics that make the fight super easy:
1) Light him on fire either with Igni or, more reliably, throw a Dancing Star at him. He will just flail around on fire while you wail away on him. Use a Tawny Owl potion for more Ignis. If you have it, use Petri's Philter potion for a higher/guaranteed chance of lighting on fire. Don't even bother with Quen.
2) As the bestiary hints, poisoning him with Devil's Puffball bombs basically allow you to just drain his health. This approach is a bit slow and doesn't make it any easier to get attacks in which is why I recommend approach 1.
3) Bait him to charge at you and into walls and objects. He gets stunned which gives you a good opportunity to wail away.
4) If you just can't avoid getting hit and stunned, use a Noonwraith Decoction to significantly reduce the stun duration.

I'm not sure if the Chort is supposed to do a follow up to its stun attack (it could be a move for when it's accompanied by other creatures or just to emphasize that you don't want to get hit by it) and obviously glitching along walls isn't supposed to happen but seriously, complaining about getting hit in this game is like complaining that Dark Souls is hard because things hit you. Just don't get hit. Figure out ways not to get hit and to work with the spaces they give you.

Concerning the harpies near a cliff, again, stop using Quen. Seriously, the times I actually use Quen are limited to just really large, slow moving enemies that you intentionally cannot easily dodge. Against the vast majority of enemies, Quen is the worst sign that you could use. Use Aard against harpies which will ground a bunch of them and allow you an instant kill (Tawny Owl for more Aards). You can also parry/counter-attack flying enemies which not only cancels their attack but gives you a free strike and grounds them for the kill. You can literally just stand in one place and just parry against harpies which basically makes you invulnerable to them. Again, you have to stop thinking that you can just Quen up and swing your sword.

Or just blind fire your crossbow to ground them and finish them off.

Just beat the game:

Holy fucking shit ;_; this game. This is surely one of the finest games I ever had the pleasure of going through. It is by no means perfect, but it is so goddamn well crafted on all other occasions. I was literally afraid and depressed that I might kill Ciri or Geralt at the end - and I thought I did the right thing by allowing Ciri to believe in her White Frost conspiracy theory - so the Fortress and Inn quests after that felt hollow and empty to me. Up until the Inn, where Ciri suddenly appears, looking at her very own silver sword with her name on it. I can't remember the last time I felt like this during a game - or any entertainment medium for what it's worth. It's just so goddamn perfect, and I will allow myself to be a little proud of naturally unfolding towards the good ending (even though I gotta thank the person who gave me advice on the matter in this thread). I also finished all possible quests and contracts before I approached the final main quest, so there's literally nothing left to do for me lol.

Jesus christ, you guys. I loved everything about this. Hearts of Stone is sitting on my shelf, and though I can't wait to jump into that, I'm gonna take a little break from it and play that in 2-3 weeks. Thank you for reading.

Is it normal that I'm severely underleveled for all the quests I'm on? I'm in doing the quest in the second area of the game where you're looking for
Ciri
and you searched the castle of some Baron. All the story quests I'm on are suggested levels of 5-7, but I'm only level 3. I cleared every quest and special interest point on the entire map in the first area of the game, so I don't know how I could really be much higher level than this at this point.

Is it normal to be 2-4 levels under the story quests?

Is it normal that I'm severely underleveled for all the quests I'm on? I'm in doing the quest in the second area of the game where you're looking for
Ciri
and you searched the castle of some Baron. All the story quests I'm on are suggested levels of 5-7, but I'm only level 3. I cleared every quest and special interest point on the entire map in the first area of the game, so I don't know how I could really be much higher level than this at this point.

The recommended levels tend to vary quite a bit.

In my first playthrough I took my time a bit more and I was usually above the recommended level for story quests. If you're playing on Broken Bones or lower I doubt it'll make much difference to you it it does say you're under-leveled.

ColdPizza

Banned
Ciri

Go clear some question marks. Abandoned sites give good XP at low levels. Take out some monster nests.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jesus christ, you guys. I loved everything about this. Hearts of Stone is sitting on my shelf, and though I can't wait to jump into that, I'm gonna take a little break from it and play that in 2-3 weeks. Thank you for reading.

Just wait until you play Hearts of Stone. The entire arc is one of the best in the entire series and elevates the game even further. It's magic.

How do you kill enemies in the water? Found a sunken treasure guarded by 2 drowners but can't attack them.

Also there was a tooltip saying you can upgrade witcher gear. Is it just talking about rune stones or is there something else I'm missing like being able to +1 it?

Anno

Just beat the game my first time through on B&BB and just can't laud it enough. Easily one of my favorite gaming experiences in a long time, probably ever. Going to wait for Blood & Wine to release, then play through NG+ with all the DLC to try to do literally everything possible. I'm actually amazed how much I just didn't do and still put in 60 hours on this first run.

How do you kill enemies in the water? Found a sunken treasure guarded by 2 drowners but can't attack them.

Also there was a tooltip saying you can upgrade witcher gear. Is it just talking about rune stones or is there something else I'm missing like being able to +1 it?

You kill enemies in the water with your crossbow. It does quite a bit more damage there than on land for whatever reason. Never really had an issue with underwater enemies. And the witcher gear upgrades in more ways than just runes and glyphs, you just have to find the right recipes.

Philtastic

Just came across a great example today of the need to experiment and use all of your tools in combat. I was fighting some ice trolls and, as a fast attack-spec'ed melee fighter, every time I hit them with a fast attack, not only did it not do much damage but they would immediately turtle up and prevent subsequent attacks from hitting for 2 seconds. This really sucked and made the fights pretty long so, instead of immediately saying "this combat is awful", I decided to try different things. I threw every bomb and sign at them with meh results. At that point, I thought about trolls and how armoured they are and decided to try an armour-piercing heavy attack that I never use... which pushed them off balance and allowed me to combo them.

So, if you're having trouble with some opponent, stop bashing your head against the wall doing the same thing over and over: mix things up.

So I put about 90 hours into this last year, but never finished it. Life got in the way, but finally got around to finishing it today.

Holy fuck, what a great story from beginning to end. Loved it. Even with its many faults, it's sticks out as one of my favorite games.

Cutting dudes in half is so dope.

Finished it this afternoon after pretty much a solid month of playing (thanks Gwent). Even squeezed in Hearts before even finishing the main story. It was just fucking fantastic. Ciri is one of my favorite videogame characters, period. Also my first Witcher game so I'm definitely interested in doing the first two as well.

Thought the final battle would be crazier though. Still a good climax. I didn't really like how,
after killing Eredin, it made you think there would be one final stretch with confronting Avalla'ch as it started to paint him as a villain
, but it was still good. Was also hoping
Ciri would be the one to destroy Eredin
. But the writers chose what they did for a reason and I'm not the storyteller.

Still amazing overall. It confuses me how they made a world of that scale and environmental variety, wrote and acted all that dialogue... it's just immense. I know it just took a lot of time and talent, but holy shit.

Probably common knowledge but I figured out you can cheese the shit out of just about every multi enemy encounter with the crossbow. Just killed 10 dudes with crossbow, didn't even get hit. Really makes a world of difference on death march against large groups of bandits

Hypron

I thought it was pretty easy until I got to Skellige. Everyone there has killer decks.

Ratrat

Can this be platinumed in one playthrough? If it can, anything I need to know so I dont miss anything? Besides obviously, playing on Death March.

ColdPizza

Banned
Can this be platinumed in one playthrough? If it can, anything I need to know so I dont miss anything? Besides obviously, playing on Death March.

Yes it can. This trophy/roadmap guide will tell you how, but at the risk of spoiling a few minor game elements.

I followed this and still had to do another half play through to fix something I screwed up.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/...witcher-3-wild-hunt-trophy-guide-roadmap.html

To be on the safe side, you'll probably want to make different save points that you don't touch in case you need to go back a little bit.

Ratrat

Holy shit man, that quest with the wraiths in Velen is riddddiculous. I'm playing on DM too. I think i need to gain 5-6 levels and come back

ColdPizza

Banned
Yup, started on DM and got the platinum on my first play. 300 includes time spent reloading saves games cause I wanted to play without spoilers and try different outcomes in the one playthrough. Also must have spent couple of hours just riding around taking no-hud screenshots and listening to the in-game music.

How do you turn off the hud (on ps4)?

Philtastic

Holy shit man, that quest with the wraiths in Velen is riddddiculous. I'm playing on DM too. I think i need to gain 5-6 levels and come back

Use Quen and try to isolate the wraiths so it's one v one. But yeah, being underdeveloped doesn't help.
Do NOT use Quen against wraiths because they tend to strike multiple times rapidly which means that you're probably going to take damage even with Quen up! You actually don't want to isolate them because that means 1-2 of them will be teleporting behind you. You want to be in their faces with all of them trapped in your Yrden which makes them corporeal which means that you can basically just sit there and parry/counter-attack all day. Do note that you cannot parry their teleport attack nor can you parry them when they are incorporeal (I think: haven't checked that in awhile). This is kind of a scary approach to take since you're in their face the entire time but it is the most effective way to do it.

Do NOT use Quen against wraiths because they tend to strike multiple times rapidly which means that you're probably going to take damage even with Quen up! You actually don't want to isolate them because that means 1-2 of them will be teleporting behind you. You want to be in their faces with all of them trapped in your Yrden which makes them corporeal which means that you can basically just sit there and parry/counter-attack all day. Do note that you cannot parry their teleport attack nor can you parry them when they are incorporeal (I think: haven't checked that in awhile). This is kind of a scary approach to take since you're in their face the entire time but it is the most effective way to do it.

Ha, different strokes for different folks. I tried using Yrden at first but found myself struggling on Death March. Switched to using Quen and fared a lot better. Isolating them worked for me. A few would be distracted by the Baron and I could take the isolated ones out relatively quickly. I can't recall them teleporting behind me. You do have to be quick on your feet though.

In the very east, in one of the new Undiscovered Locations brought by Hearts of Stone, there's one near the Kilkerinn Ruins. There's a few bandits there that I killed and I looted a chest that was aligned with the question mark on my map. I looted everything including the New Moon gear stuff on top of the ruins and it still shows as a question mark. It's not below either for there is not arrow beneath the question mark. Is it bugged or am I missing something?

Edit: I also might have sold a piece of New Moon gear to a merchant. Will I be able to buy it back or craft it?

Ha, different strokes for different folks. I tried using Yrden at first but found myself struggling on Death March. Switched to using Quen and fared a lot better. Isolating them worked for me. A few would be distracted by the Baron and I could take the isolated ones out relatively quickly. I can't recall them teleporting behind me. You do have to be quick on your feet though.

I'm just going to wait. I couldn't even beat the first pack after 45 minutes, and i read there's a second pack with no checkpoint in between. Fuck that noise. How far in the main story can i progress before completing this?

I'm just going to wait. I couldn't even beat the first pack after 45 minutes, and i read there's a second pack with no checkpoint in between. Fuck that noise. How far in the main story can i progress before completing this?

Yeah, the second section's more difficult and as you say, no checkpoint.

It's part of the main quest so I think you have to beat it to continue with the story. Not sure if there's another quest you can do first as I've always done it straight away when I got the quest.

Yeah, the second section's more difficult and as you say, no checkpoint.

It's part of the main quest so I think you have to beat it to continue with the story. Not sure if there's another quest you can do first as I've always done it straight away when I got the quest.

I still find progression really weird in this game. The quest is level 7 recommended. I'm level 5, and I've spent hours upon hours upon hours doing quests and discovering other locations . How could anyone possibly be level 7 when getting here? Is exp gain severely reduced on DM or something? All the story quests I'm getting are like 2+ levels higher than my level when i first come across them, and it takes like 3-5 hours to get one level by running around doing random quests and discovery points. And I'm a completionist so I'm literally doing everything i can find

I feel like I'm missing something fundamental about how to level up

What ability points should i have?

How do you turn off the hud (on ps4)?

You can't turn it off, you just need to pause the game with the options button and save the screenshot the second you press options again to unpause. You'll get it right with some practice.

This is the most efficient way to fight wraiths.

In the very east, in one of the new Undiscovered Locations brought by Hearts of Stone, there's one near the Kilkerinn Ruins. There's a few bandits there that I killed and I looted a chest that was aligned with the question mark on my map. I looted everything including the New Moon gear stuff on top of the ruins and it still shows as a question mark. It's not below either for there is not arrow beneath the question mark. Is it bugged or am I missing something?

Edit: I also might have sold a piece of New Moon gear to a merchant. Will I be able to buy it back or craft it?

It's probably glitched, it's only ? i have left on my map that won't go away.

I still find progression really weird in this game. The quest is level 7 recommended. I'm level 5, and I've spent hours upon hours upon hours doing quests and discovering other locations . How could anyone possibly be level 7 when getting here? Is exp gain severely reduced on DM or something? All the story quests I'm getting are like 2+ levels higher than my level when i first come across them, and it takes like 3-5 hours to get one level by running around doing random quests and discovery points. And I'm a completionist so I'm literally doing everything i can find

I feel like I'm missing something fundamental about how to level up

What ability points should i have?

Progression is gained by completing main quests, side quests, contracts etc. Killing monsters and enemies do not award a lot of xp - just keep on doing the quests that you have. It's okay to be 2-3 levels under-leveled for quests.

Flipyap

You can't turn it off, you just need to pause the game with the options button and save the screenshot the second you press options again to unpause. You'll get it right with some practice.
Luckily, that's no longer true. They patched in a HUD toggle, so we don't have to do the pause screenshot dance anymore.

I think it's the first option in the HUD settings menu (Options -> Video -> HUD Configuration)

Luckily, that's no longer true. They patched in a HUD toggle, so we don't have to do the pause screenshot dance anymore.

I think it's the first option in the HUD settings menu (Options -> Video -> HUD Configuration)

That's only on PC, I think. On consoles you still need to do the pause/screenshot trick.

Flipyap

That's only on PC, I think. On consoles you still need to do the pause/screenshot trick.
Either you need to patch your game or I need to have a serious conversation with my PS4 about its PC-like behavior.
97fthot.png

Yay, Ciri
became empress
But they made it look like it's a sad ending for some reason.
Too bad Geralt ended up
alone
, though

Coreda

Is there some reason Igni seems to only work about 30% of the time?

The yellow bar beneath the health meter indicates your stamina level, which depletes when running and in combat. It needs to be full before the sign can be cast again. Can't think of why else it wouldn't be working.

WQpHHMo.png

The yellow bar beneath the health meter indicates your stamina level, which depletes when running and in combat. It needs to be full before the sign can be cast again. Can't think of why else it wouldn't be working.

WQpHHMo.png

I mean the enemy just shakes it off like nothing happened, and they take no damage. Like sometimes they ignite and burn, other times they just smoke a little and take no damage at all

Top Bottom