• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Anno

How much longer do I have if I just completed
The Battle of Kaer Morhen?

Everything about that part was pretty great. This game is...something special.

How much longer do I have if I just completed
The Battle of Kaer Morhen?

Everything about that part was pretty great. This game is...something special.
I was so pumped for that section! You still have a ways to go, but if you'd pretty much done all of the side quests/contracts leading up to it already then you're on the home stretch.

LTTP but I just started this game. Anyone got any tips for playing on Death March difficulty so I can not die? Trophy guide I read says it's not hard once you learn how to play, but doesn't offer suggestions about how to play. I died on my first battle against ghouls, and it's pretty annoying sitting through a 10 minute cutscene every time I die.

LTTP but I just started this game. Anyone got any tips for playing on Death March difficulty so I can not die? Trophy guide I read says it's not hard once you learn how to play, but doesn't offer suggestions about how to play. I died on my first battle against ghouls, and it's pretty annoying sitting through a 10 minute cutscene every time I die.

Dodge and parry. Bread and butter of Death March. Learn the attack patterns of different enemies and attack accordingly. Don't be in a haste to slash everything, take your time and try to thin out the group if there are a lot of enemies.

Later on you'll need to make efficient use of oils, decoctions and potions.

Also, signs. Use the right ones for the right battle. Quen is a life saver in most cases.

ColdPizza

Banned
Yay. Finally got platinum trophy. What a game.

Trying to decide whether to jump right into HoS or take a break with Firewatch first.

How far am I into the game?
I just beat Imlerith. I sat with Ciri on a rock, overlooking Velen. She wants to go to Novigrad. In terms of gameplay hours, how much time do I need to allocate if I want to finish it in one sitting? 2 hours? 6 hours?

Question regarding the final quests:
I'm in the Final Preparations. I did the Avallach extra terrestrial stuff which I thought was OK, but I might have pressed square (skip) a little too often at the tediousness that was Ciri's quest. I ended up horseracing and fistfighting someone, after which Ciri went off. Will this impact the ending? I feel like I botched it but I just couldn't stand that quest. Also, I hate to ask this, but I really want to get the right ending without getting spoiled.. so if someone can give me a hint or an abstract advice that would be great. For example, should I protect Ciri as much as I do right now, or can I give her some space? I feel like she's gonna die every time I protect her (e.g., telling Imlerith "I came alone" though I obviously came with Ciri.)

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
So I just did all the BiA quests and went to Isle of Mists, but got a warning about some quests I might miss If I go ahead. Any important things I should do before venturing forward?

Nordicus

So I just did all the BiA quests and went to Isle of Mists, but got a warning about some quests I might miss If I go ahead. Any important things I should do before venturing forward?
If you've done all Brothers in Arms quests, and after a taking a quick second look at your Side Quests list in quest journal (not contracts or treasure hunt those are safe) and don't see any sub-20lvl quests there with major story characters, then you're free to move on

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
If you've done all Brothers in Arms quests, and after a taking a quick second look at your Side Quests list in quest journal (not contracts or treasure hunt those are safe) and don't see any sub-20lvl quests there with major story characters, then you're free to move on

Alright, I'll double check my side quests. Thanks!

Finished the Botchkin bit of the Bloody Baron questline on Death March. Thankfully I didn't find it too bad. On my previous playthrough I favoured Yrden but using Quen all the time's a lot more effective against the wraiths. I found it best to try and isolate them. Made it a lot easier than being ganged up on.

Really enjoying playing through this again though. My game of this gen so far. Looking forward to jumping into the Hearts of Stone content for the first time.

ColdPizza

Banned
Question regarding the final quests:
I'm in the Final Preparations. I did the Avallach extra terrestrial stuff which I thought was OK, but I might have pressed square (skip) a little too often at the tediousness that was Ciri's quest. I ended up horseracing and fistfighting someone, after which Ciri went off. Will this impact the ending? I feel like I botched it but I just couldn't stand that quest. Also, I hate to ask this, but I really want to get the right ending without getting spoiled.. so if someone can give me a hint or an abstract advice that would be great. For example, should I protect Ciri as much as I do right now, or can I give her some space? I feel like she's gonna die every time I protect her (e.g., telling Imlerith "I came alone" though I obviously came with Ciri.)

Without giving too much away...

1. I'm assuming you horse raced and fist fought with her circus buddies. I don't think that factors into the ending.

2. You want to approach your choices with her as to build up her confidence and her sense of self-worth (let her make her own choices)...so don't be too over protective.

Ultimadrago

The game seems to have a big backlash. I wonder if people will still be positive after a year or 2.

It looks more like forum echo chamber to me (with the Bloodborne vs. Witcher wars helping out).

I have no doubt the game's general reputation will hold up for years afterwards. Heck, its reputation is actually still really good. I don't let niche outlets skew that perspective. No doubt some people would really like the idea of an Internet-wide backlash of Witcher 3 to be real though.

The game seems to have a big backlash. I wonder if people will still be positive after a year or 2.

MGSV had a backlash. I wouldn't say The Witcher has had one. There's definitely a lot of people that don't enjoy the combat but I think most admire the game even if they don't love it.

Without giving too much away...

1. I'm assuming you horse raced and fist fought with her circus buddies. I don't think that factors into the ending.

2. You want to approach your choices with her as to build up her confidence and her sense of self-worth (let her make her own choices)...so don't be too over protective.
Thanks a lot. That will help.

I don't think there is a backlash. Just a bunch of GAF topics yeah, but even that doesn't tell us much.

Matush

Finished it earlier today.

What a game. I finally now get all the praise, 10/10 and GOTYs. This game was masterfully crafted in and out. Main quests, side quests, witcher contract were fun and not just another checklist shit. Some sidequests/contracts were even better than main quests. Sure, combat wasn't perfect, but I didn't mind it. Fantasy genre isn't doing it for me as much as Sci-Fi, but damn, I loved it. Can't wait for Cyberpunk.

Also, can anyone tell me what's the name of this song?

Philtastic

I put out a basic combat tutorial video when the game first came out which covers some not-as-obvious strategies. Most people are used to just diving in and swinging away but that's exactly the kind of thing that will get you killed in this game which attempts to be a bit more realistic about things: attacks and actions have momentum where you can't easily interrupt them and getting surrounded means that you will often get interrupted and just combo'ed to death. As such, you have to approach the combat with a lot more planning and positional awareness than most other action RPGs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFm5qHBRcuU

In other news, I had taken a somewhat long break from this game due to Metal Gear Solid V and then Dragon's Dogma but, after beating DD on normal and being somewhat bored starting the game over on hard, I have returned to The Witcher 3, and I must say that I enjoy the combat of W3 far more than DD. I want to preface this by saying that I did enjoy what I played of DD and I'm making this comparison only because many have suggested that DD's combat is far superior but the main problem I had with it is that it's much simpler than W3. DD's combat against regular foes often boils down to spamming your charge attack as melee, your multi-arrow attack as ranged, or the appropriate elemental spell as a caster. Against the larger enemies, the combat can be reduced to whether you know the enemy's weaknesses or not and whether you have the corresponding abilities equipped. If you do, then the battle is basically over before it even begins since you will just end up stun locking them. Number of enemies doesn't even really matter that much either since almost every attack can hit multiple opponents.

In contrast, the combat of W3 varies tremendously with number of opponents. The way that you need to fight against 4+ opponents is markedly different than when you've chopped that number down due to how easily they can surround you and interrupt your actions. Positioning is actually important since you really need to see all of your opponents while maintaining room to dodge/roll. I actually missed Geralt's automatic leaping animations that closed distance for his swings in contrast to DD where (assuming that I wasn't just spamming a charging attack) I had to clunkily run right up to enemies to slash them. Finding ways to circumvent enemy strengths (like humans blocking everything, nekkers swarming, wolves dodging and running around, wraiths teleporting) was far more thought provoking than simply knowing what element or anatomical location enemies in DD were weak to. A lot of people here complained that enemies sometimes did not react to hits in W3: the same thing happens in DD against anything (except the weakest opponents) who often don't react unless you hit them a number of times or in a particularly soft location. Finally, a lot of the diverse abilities in DD are very niche, thus I didn't end up using many of them, whereas I basically use everything in W3 even as melee spec.

In summary, I found DD's combat too simple where the challenge is mostly in knowing where to strike and with what element. In contrast, W3 requires you to think about what tools to use for the situation based on enemy type, number of enemies, and arena size, and forces you to plan and commit to your actions since you can't immediately stop them.

Edit: Finally finished Skellige's Most Wanted. So good!

In other news, I had taken a somewhat long break from this game due to Metal Gear Solid V and then Dragon's Dogma but, after beating DD on normal and being somewhat bored starting the game over on hard, I have returned to The Witcher 3, and I must say that I enjoy the combat of W3 far more than DD. I want to preface this by saying that I did enjoy what I played of DD and I'm making this comparison only because many have suggested that DD's combat is far superior but the main problem I had with it is that it's much simpler than W3. DD's combat against regular foes often boils down to spamming your charge attack as melee, your multi-arrow attack as ranged, or the appropriate elemental spell as a caster. Against the larger enemies, the combat can be reduced to whether you know the enemy's weaknesses or not and whether you have the corresponding abilities equipped. If you do, then the battle is basically over before it even begins since you will just end up stun locking them. Number of enemies doesn't even really matter that much either since almost every attack can hit multiple opponents.

In contrast, the combat of W3 varies tremendously with number of opponents. The way that you need to fight against 4+ opponents is markedly different than when you've chopped that number down due to how easily they can surround you and interrupt your actions. Positioning is actually important since you really need to see all of your opponents while maintaining room to dodge/roll. I actually missed Geralt's automatic leaping animations that closed distance for his swings in contrast to DD where (assuming that I wasn't just spamming a charging attack) I had to clunkily run right up to enemies to slash them. Finding ways to circumvent enemy strengths (like humans blocking everything, nekkers swarming, wolves dodging and running around, wraiths teleporting) was far more thought provoking than simply knowing what element or anatomical location enemies in DD were weak to. A lot of people here complained that enemies sometimes did not react to hits in W3: the same thing happens in DD against anything (except the weakest opponents) who often don't react unless you hit them a number of times or in a particularly soft location. Finally, a lot of the diverse abilities in DD are very niche, thus I didn't end up using many of them, whereas I basically use everything in W3 even as melee spec.

In summary, I found DD's combat too simple where the challenge is mostly in knowing where to strike and with what element. In contrast, W3 requires you to think about what tools to use for the situation based on enemy type, number of enemies, and arena size, and forces you to plan and commit to your actions since you can't immediately stop them.

Great post. I really enjoyed W3 combat as well.

Question regarding Hearts of stone.

If you have already finished the base game, can you then play hearts of stone on that very same save and can you even free roam after you finish the base game? (I heard quests dissapear after fnishing the main story....)

Only have a few missions left and I want to play hearts of stone on that very same save, with the character I built.

What do i do?

If you have already finished the base game, can you then play hearts of stone on that very same save and can you even free roam after you finish the base game? (I heard quests dissapear after fnishing the main story....)

Only have a few missions left and I want to play hearts of stone on that very same save, with the character I built.

What do i do?

Yeah you can clean up your contracts, side-quests, undiscovered locations, etc from the main game even after playing or completing Hearts of Stone. Just load up HoS with your regular save game, you don't have to start a new character.

Nordicus

What do i do?
Only quests related to significant story characters in the main plot may disappear. Anything unrelated, and anything from HoS stays even after you beat the main story

Yeah you can clean up your contracts, side-quests, undiscovered locations, etc from the main game even after playing or completing Hearts of Stone. Just load up HoS with your regular save game, you don't have to start a new character.

Only quests related to significant story characters in the main plot may disappear. Anything unrelated, and anything from HoS stays even after you beat the main story

Thanks for clearing that up guys.

I'll be diving into it now.

Playing on Death March and having some trouble at the beginning of the game. Can't beat the wraith by the well or the drowners guarding some treasure at the beach. I'm only level 1 even though I've done everything else. And I'm completely out of gold so I can't upgrade anything. I did manage to upgrade my armor at the smith into some crafted armor. Before doing the fight Geralt said he should make wraith oil and potions, but all i have is spectre oil - is that the same thing? And anyway I don't have any of the ingredients to make it even though I've been gathering everything I see . Should I just come back later or are these supposed to be doable now?

Also should I explore all the ? Points on the map? And what's the best way to get gold?

Playing on Death March and having some trouble at the beginning of the game. Can't beat the wraith by the well or the drowners guarding some treasure at the beach. I'm only level 1 even though I've done everything else. And I'm completely out of gold so I can't upgrade anything. I did manage to upgrade my armor at the smith into some crafted armor. Before doing the fight Geralt said he should make wraith oil and potions, but all i have is spectre oil - is that the same thing? And anyway I don't have any of the ingredients to make it even though I've been gathering everything I see . Should I just come back later or are these supposed to be doable now?

Also should I explore all the ? Points on the map? And what's the best way to get gold?

Learn the attack pattern of the wraith and the drowners.

Try not to engage more than 2 drowners at once. Slash twice, dodge or roll back then slash again.

With the wraith, spectre oil will increase the damage of your silver sword. The wraith always strikes twice after teleport, so watch out for that and attack accordingly. You can get in 2-3 hits before it will teleport. Use Yrden sign to trap the wraith.

Check the entries in your bestiary for tips about monster types and what effects they are weak to.

Exploring ? areas is a good idea as they can lead to treasure chests, places of power, monster nests, etc.

Learn the attack pattern of the wraith and the drowners.

Try not to engage more than 2 drowners at once. Slash twice, dodge or roll back then slash again.

With the wraith, spectre oil will increase the damage of your silver sword. The wraith always strikes twice after teleport, so watch out for that and attack accordingly. You can get in 2-3 hits before it will teleport. Use Yrden sign to trap the wraith.

Check the entries in your bestiary for tips about monster types and what effects they are weak to.

Exploring ? areas is a good idea as they can lead to treasure chests, places of power, monster nests, etc.

Where do you find ingredients? I've gathered everything I've seen and don't even have 1 of the flowers needed.

I tried what you said on the wraith but he summoned illusions and regenned all his health. I think I probably need to find the ingredients to make the spectre oil and get a better silver sword. I'll hit up the ? Locations and see if that makes a difference.

Does gold / food ever become abundant? I keep worrying I'm going to run out of my limited supply of food, and deplete the stock in shops so I won't be able to buy more, permanently screwing my ability to progress

Where do you find ingredients? I've gathered everything I've seen and don't even have 1 of the flowers needed.

I tried what you said on the wraith but he summoned illusions and regenned all his health. I think I probably need to find the ingredients to make the spectre oil and get a better silver sword. I'll hit up the ? Locations and see if that makes a difference.

Does gold / food ever become abundant? I keep worrying I'm going to run out of my limited supply of food, and deplete the stock in shops so I won't be able to buy more, permanently screwing my ability to progress

When the wraith summons the illusions, ignore it and attack them immediately. They will die in one hit. If you don't kill the illusions, they will regen the wraith's health.

You should be able to buy the missing ingredient from a vendor or herbalist.

Death March is hard and punishing for the first 15 or so levels. You'll earn gold and find food/ingredients in plenty as you play.

Find the viper school sword diagrams and craft them if you can, they will help a lot in the early part of the game.

Ultimadrago

Yet, I wouldn't recommend to do all of them. They consist of the many repetitive sprinkled events that occupy most open-worlds tedium (and consume bad ones).

In Witcher, I find they simply complement the world and leave for optional path breaks considering its size rather than presenting itself to be the bulk of the true content and should be treated in like. I'd say focus on doing all of the Contracts foremost and do a "?" Here or there when you feel like it.

danthefan

I've been ruminating on this game for the last while and I genuinely think it's my favorite story from a game ever. Finally
finding Ciri
was an emotional payoff I've never really had from a game and when
she became a Witcher at the end
I swear to god I was punching the air.

Can't can't wait for the next expansion.

BraXzy

So after quite a long hiatus, I'm finally planning on venturing back into the world of Witcher 3.. Are there any must have mods for the PC version nowadays? Visual or otherwise?

What in the 3 hells is up with leveling in this game? I've logged 6 hours, killed almost every enemy on the entire map where you start (including a level 8), did all ? Points, all contracts, and somehow I'm still level 1? Is this normal?

Nordicus

What in the 3 hells is up with leveling in this game? I've logged 6 hours, killed almost every enemy on the entire map where you start (including a level 8), did all ? Points, all contracts, and somehow I'm still level 1? Is this normal?
Main quests are by far the main method of gaining XP.

Most of the XP is from main story quests. So anytime you're under leveled do a bit of the story. Contracts and points of interest are for supplies and money.

That being said if you do everything in the first area you still only get up to level 3 or 4.

Top Bottom