• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lawbreakers no longer F2P, has new art style, [Up: Screens and Steam Page]

Acidote

I'm ok with the game not being F2P as long as everything is included except cosmetic stuff. I prefer it that way, actually.

MiguelItUp

im interested, i need a free demo/beta tho before plopping down the cash

Agreed. I'm really interested in seeing more about the game. I appreciate the not F2P approach, well, and the whole new art style approach. Not that I thought it looked poor before by any means. I mean, the art style didn't look identical to Battleborn, Overwatch, or Paladins so I figured that was good enough. I'm pretty eager to hear more about this though, and get some good solid gameplay footage.

I have to say that looks much better.

The CA in the pics though. There was nothing wrong with the original look. But yeah, the new Maverick looks good.

Gotta say I appreciate them noting what multiple targeted framerates are on the actual requirements. Don't think I've seen that before.

It's nice indeed. Haven't seen that on Steam either, but there was a recent game that provided pretty good reqs with targeted settings and fps on its site. Was it the Division or Quantum Break? It was a AAA title. edit: Total Warhammer

mkenyon

Banned
Holy shit that's great news.

This was the best game I've played in years. I was aching for weeks after playing it at PAX.

soultron

Banned
With Overwatch and Paragon (the former less so than the latter) treading on similar visual ground, I think differentiating yourself as much as possible, even down to branding identities/logos, is a smart move. Hope it pans out well for them. The move to P2P is (kind of?) expected, but I'm sure they'll have UGC/Workshop as a supplemental rev stream. CSGO still sells well at $15 regularly, $7-8 with frequent discount, so I'd expect them to follow the same model. (Yes, I know CS has a built-in audience but the pricing precedent is there and always gets referenced in debates over MP-only PC shooters that are P2P.) They probably don't want to repeat the same mistake (IMO) as TOXIKK and price it at $20 though. They've avoided going the Evolve route, coming in at $60, so that's a good move.

mkenyon

Banned
I love Cliffs work and all but not sure how I feel about this one.
My short list of FPS G(ames)OTF:

Tribes
Q3A
TF/TF:C
Tribes: Ascend
Warsow

and I'm almost certain this will be on it.

Best time I've had playing games in the last two years was at PAX because of this. I mean look at this shit. They fucking get it.

2ZcUcI8.png

Gotta say I appreciate them noting what multiple targeted framerates are on the actual requirements. Don't think I've seen that before.

That new total warhammer game did it for all the specs, what their framerates would be.

PC Minimum Specifications:

[Expected around 15-25 FPS on campaign map and in a 1v1, 20 units vs 20 units battle, default graphics preset set to “Low”]

Operating System: Windows 7 64Bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 3.0Ghz
RAM: 3GB*
Hard Drive: 35 GB
Video Card: (DirectX 11) AMD Radeon HD 5770 1024MB | NVIDIA GTS 450 1024MB | Intel HD4000 @720P

(*)PC integrated graphics chipsets require 4GB ram, e.g. Intel HD series

PC Recommended Specifications:

[Expected around 45-55 FPS on campaign map and in a 1v1, 20 units vs 20 units battle, default graphics preset set to “High”]

Operating System: Windows 7/8.1/10 64Bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4570 3.20GHz
RAM: 8 GB
Video Card: (DirectX 11) AMD Radeon R9 270X 2048MB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2048MB @1080P

PC 60fps+ Specifications:

[Expected 60 FPS+ on campaign map and in a 1v1, 20 units vs 20 units battle, default graphics preset set to “Ultra”]

Operating System: Windows 7/8.1/10 64Bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K 4.0 GHz
RAM: 8 GB
Video Card: (DirectX 11) AMD Fury X or Nvidia GTX 980 @1080P

That's interesting.
Rarely see games go from F2P then to paid.

Watching Stardew Valley quick looks I have strong feelings that was conceptually a F2P game at one point.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's interesting.
Rarely see games go from F2P then to paid.

Watching Stardew Valley quick looks I have strong feelings that was conceptually a F2P game at one point.

It's not unheard of going into this generation because a lot of developers realized they could charge up front, and then have microtransactions on top of that, and if things ever went wrong, go f2p later when they have a more polished product.

If you're not expecting a notably wide audience for your game, you can instead monetize the people who are buying your game for huge sums.

MiguelItUp

My short list of FPS G(ames)OTF:
Tribes
Q3A
TF/TF:C
Tribes: Ascend
Warsow

Stop it man, too much hype, haha. A co-worker of mine was able to check it out at PAX and said really good things about it. I would've been there with him, but I was unfortunately working the show and didn't have the time to do so. :(

Even Dave Oshry recommends this game above DOOM.
That's cool to know IMO. I trust the guy's judgement.

LordofPwn

i don't think this new look is all that unique at first glance. it reminds me of a lot of sci-fi shooters. This game has just never presented well to me, but i hear nothing but praise for how it plays and that's all that really matters. would love to give it a try, but not coming to ps4 anytime soon, and i have a mac at home...

cliff does good work.

At first glance this new look doesn't even seem too different compared to the old one. Some characters got a redesign and they put heavy CA on it and maybe desaturated it a bit?

At least the old trailer on the store page looks a bit more vibrant. Or maybe it's just the CA's doing.

Theorry

Like this comment btw.

"Developer Boss Key Productions also discovered that going the free-to-play route was overly influencing the game's design in a way the studio found creatively distracting. "I think it took away from development," said art director Tramell Isaac. "We ended up being focused on how to get money, as opposed to how to make a good game.""

I really can't see these games doing so well with Overwatch only a few months away. What's happening now is a "me too" scenario and it won't work out just like it doesn't work with Moba.

mkenyon

Banned
Stop it man, too much hype, haha. A co-worker of mine was able to check it out at PAX and said really good things about it. I would've been there with him, but I was unfortunately working the show and didn't have the time to do so. :(
In the two days I was at PAX, I spent every moment I could playing Lawbreakers. I was lucky enough to be there w/ a friend who had an in with one of the Nexon guys working with them, so we were able to play it quite a bit.

The movement was so good (for the two mobile classes they had). The best part was the game mode though, which was like a mix of CTF and King of the Hill. Made for some really dramatic moments.

I really can't see these games doing so well with Overwatch only a few months away. What's happening now is a "me too" scenario and it won't work out just like it doesn't work with Moba.

Though technically LawBreakers was announced after OW, Project Bluestreak was announced before it.

Art style is a little sterile. I think they'd do well with a little more colour because they seem to be going with the whole "badass smack-talking antiheroes" theme, and that would work a little better if the game looked a bit lighter.

mkenyon

Banned
A lot of players are already burned out on OW due to really stale meta and shitty movement mechanics.

But yeah, as pointed out above, this game was happening before OW.

Like this comment btw.

"Developer Boss Key Productions also discovered that going the free-to-play route was overly influencing the game's design in a way the studio found creatively distracting. "I think it took away from development," said art director Tramell Isaac. "We ended up being focused on how to get money, as opposed to how to make a good game.""

But I'm pretty sure they will still have cosmetic Microtransactions and they could have just went F2P and that and still made money if the game was successful. I don't see why they felt they HAD to use some P2W mechanic when plenty of other proved a game can be F2P and not money grubbing.

mkenyon

Banned
But I'm pretty sure they will still have cosmetic Microtransactions and they could have just went F2P and that and still made money if the game was successful. I don't see why they felt they HAD to use some P2W mechanic when plenty of other proved a game can be F2P and not money grubbing.
Dota and LoL are almost not even worth talking about due to playerbase.

FPS games immediately have a much smaller population.

Dota and LoL are almost not even worth talking about due to playerbase.

FPS games immediately have a much smaller population.

I still think it could work. CSGO is basically F2P with how often it's on sale and most of it's income is from cosmetics. Hope fully the game isn't too expensive. 50+ seems like a deathwish for MP only games.

mkenyon

Banned
I still think it could work. CSGO is basically F2P with how often it's on sale and most of it's income is from cosmetics. Hope fully the game isn't too expensive. 50+ seems like a deathwish for MP only games.
I'm pretty sure they'll be chasing the CS:GO system for money. Pretty standard price to make money for awhile, then move towards cheaper price with lots of affectations later on.

CS:GO wasn't really on sale for super low prices until long after release. Not really fair to compare it to a monetization system of a game that's been out for years.

OneLetter

I'm glad we could finally announce this. Looking forward to sharing more info in the future!

Anyone going to PAX East? You may want to... ;)

Amerika

Neo Member
I am pretty OK with the switch to being a paid title. It eliminates a lot of issues that F2P titles have to typically deal with. Like the constant influx of terrible day 1/weekend only F2P players. It removes some cheating as it's a monetary barrier to entry. It allows the devs to recoup a lot of dev costs out of the gate so they can focus on future content. It removes any "pay to win" talk (unless they actually had p2w MT's). It removes the need for a lot of the more cheesy and debatably scummy microtransactions. And yeah, I just like the change. I see it as a positive even if all my F2P loving friends who would play it for 2 days and quit won't be able to play with me for those 2 days.

If it's set at the right price and they start monetizing it with a ton of cosmetics that people genuinely enjoy and the game mechanics are solid things could go well. OW, as mentioned previously, is just mechanically bankrupt. The sweet looking paint job stops awing you once you get into the mechanics and find out how "controller friendly" the game is and how little depth there is to playing it and the rock/paper/scissors on steroids meta of matches.

I'm pretty sure they'll be chasing the CS:GO system for money. Pretty standard price to make money for awhile, then move towards cheaper price with lots of affectations later on.

CS:GO wasn't really on sale for super low prices until long after release. Not really fair to compare it to a monetization system of a game that's been out for years.

It also didn't do very well until the arms date update. When those skins came out the game skyrocketed.

mkenyon

Banned
OW, as mentioned previously, is just mechanically bankrupt. The sweet looking paint job stops awing you once you get into the mechanics and find out how "controller friendly" the game is and how little depth there is to playing it and the rock/paper/scissors on steroids meta of matches.
This, so much.

Help us Boss Key Productions, you're our only hope
for projectile FPS games that aren't designed with kid gloves

MiguelItUp

This, so much.

Help us Boss Key Productions, you're our only hope
for projectile FPS games that aren't designed with kid gloves

Yeah, I plan on purchasing OW, but I will admit when I played it over a weekend I could already feel it becoming a bit stale. I couldn't really put my finger on why either, I mean yeah, not many maps, same game modes, etc. But it was something about the games core / mechanics that just got old to me fairly quickly.

I'm just really excited about arena shooter mechanics coming back in FPSs. I miss them and I just want them to return and stay. I'm really looking forward to hearing and seeing more about Lawbreakers. I just hope it's sooner than later!

jediyoshi

OW, as mentioned previously, is just mechanically bankrupt. The sweet looking paint job stops awing you once you get into the mechanics and find out how "controller friendly" the game is and how little depth there is to playing it and the rock/paper/scissors on steroids meta of matches.

RIP COD, you had a good run. Any day now.

Crzy1

While I don't agree with CliffyB on everything, he sure as hell knows how to make a competitive shooter. Hoping it doesn't get totally demolished by Overwatch, but the hype isn't on it's side. Glad to hear it's not F2P, hope it's able to stay that way.

It's nice that they are adding more detail to the characters but also weird that they have chosen to do this half way into development, as long as they can manage it sure go for it.

Changing from F2P to paid after announcement though, I wonder how well this game will do.

Top Bottom