• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Jam: A New Legacy First Look Features LeBron James, Don Cheadle, Bugs Bunny, And More

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Evpd7ERXUAMZ10d

According to Entertainment Weekly, the legendary basketball player will star as a heightened version of himself who struggles to relate to his son, Dom (a kid more interesting in creating games than playing them).
His skills attract the attention of Don Cheadle's Al G Rhythm, an A.I. who pulls the father and son "into the Warner 3000 entertainment 'Server-verse,' with the A.I. kidnapping Dom in the hopes of stealing some of the King's followers."

James was initially unsure about following in Michael Jordan's footsteps, but has been working on this sequel since 2016.
"In my younger days, part of my thinking was 'Space Jam was so good, how can I top this?'" he says. "There's always going to be conversations about LeBron trying to do everything Michael [did]. But I've gotten older, and you know who you are. You know what you stand for."

Evpd7gQXUAEfTvS

While he hasn't spoken to his predecessor yet, James adds: "It's something Mike created and is his. I held that with a lot of responsibility."

Last edited:

Fbh

They are supposed to be toon like in the original Space Jam and Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Because we have the technogical feat for the 3D garbage shouldn't mean we should use it. That's the wrong design choice here.

If they were willing to put in the work and passion to make it looks as incredible as Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Sure.

But I like this 3D style better than OG Space Jam

SegaShack

They are supposed to be toon like in the original Space Jam and Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Because we have the technogical feat for the 3D garbage shouldn't mean we should use it. That's the wrong design choice here.
That was my thoughts on "Looney Toons Back In Action".

mortal

Gold Member
That hyper real fur texture with those cartoony eyes & designs looks kind of off tbh.

That redesign is nowhere as bad as I thought it would be.
I was thinking they would make her look like one of those punk lesbian feminists lol

Taking away her boobs seems like such an odd conscious design decision, but whatever.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
I love the look of the cg looney tunes. They look textured while retaining their original look, similar to detective pikachu. This is gonna shine in 4k hdr. Also, its a cartoon rabbit...the fuck is wrong with some people? The original looked creepy af, like candy kong. I don’t need curvy cartoon animals.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Can someone explain to me LeBron’s beard - is it a style thing?
Also on the subject of Lola - not getting it, you can actually argue the original version has a lot more ‘body positive’ vibe than the new one, which is basically skin and bones.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
sucks that this movie sequel had to be wasted in the worst era of basketball stars.
I'm not sure you're going to like what's left after Lebron, Durant, and Curry leave, unless you're referring to something else.

The league has already shifted back to shooters over dunkers thanks to the influence of those like Curry. I thought this would actually be applauded since the game has become more skill-based instead of star-based, but there's been pushback from older fans who prefer the older style that players like Lebron were bred from.

VulcanRaven

I don't know much about Lebron James because I don't watch basketball but this looks great. I watched the first movie a lot when I was a kid so I'm excited.

zeioIIDX

I still remember when my grandpa took me and my brother to see Space Jam. I was pissed because his rich-ass wanted to be cheap and only bought one pop/soda. So we had to share. With the same straw.............
I loved the movie though! Space Jam's a classic. Maybe the sequel will be decent but I won't hold my breath. Hopefully it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

I have no idea why I like LeBron. I do. He's a giant douche but I feel like he'd be a decent human if he wasn't the greatest athlete of all time.

Why did they add spandex under her shorts? I think its an unnecessary design tweak

Anyways id be more interested in a space jam sequel if it wasnt basketball based. Would feel more fresh. Even if its a diff story its still looney toons sinking buckets. Same old.

Raph64

Ok. Honestly though, I think this is going to be absolute FIRE.

I mean this already has so many things going for it :

- Apparently around 160 to 180 million dollars went into the budget for this film, not counting the marketing costs
- The visuals look pretty stellar good god ( no surprise considering Industrial Light and Magic are handling the visual effects of the movie ), these are some poppin' colors we have here.
- The new jerseys honestly don't look that bad. The color scheme blends well with the overall look of the film.
- Regardless of what you think about LeBron James, he at the very least already has SOME experience in acting due to his appearance in the Trainwreck film and the animated movie Smallfoot. Sure, he's no DiCaprio, but I so far find him more promising than Jordan's acting.
- The 3D Bugs Bunny looks like a textbook example of how to turn a 2D design into 3D ( this looks so much better than the new Tom and Jerry movie ), and also love how they're still gonna use 2D animation as an aside, kind of like in the Spongebob Movie : Sponge Out of Water film where they are 2D in their world and 3D in the digital world.
- Don Cheadle as the villain ? Enough said
- The promise of having cameos from Mad Max, The Matrix, Casablanca, Wonder Woman, Hanna-Barbera characters, Joker, The Mask, Pennywise, Voldemort, and perhaps so much more... in a movie called Space Jam starring LeBron and the Looney Tunes ? Lmao
- The promise of the film taking a very meta approach to the exploitation of studio properties and operating of studio conglomerates similar to the first moments from the Back in Action movie ( a CRIMINALLY underrated film btw )
- The redesign of Lola Bunny which honestly doesn't matter much given how she had ZERO personality in the OG film and was more of a cardboard cutout of a character that would look good on selling t-shirts. I'm hoping her personality here is more akin to the zany Lola from the Looney Tunes Show.
- Ryan Coogler producing the movie after the successes of Black Panther and Judas and the Black Messiah among other things.

I don't know about you guys but, so far I say it's on par to become a far better attempt at being an actual movie than the first one will ever be. I'm so stoked for the trailer to come out hopefully very soon.

Heck, this might even be an better and more enjoyable crossover than the boring and visually muddy letdown that was Ready Player One !

I hope to god theaters will be reopened by then where I live to experience this glorious wild ride on the big screen, where it SHOULD be experienced.

Last edited:

BWJinxing

That hyper real fur texture with those cartoony eyes & designs looks kind of off tbh.

That redesign is nowhere as bad as I thought it would be.
I was thinking they would make her look like one of those punk lesbian feminists lol

Taking away her boobs seems like such an odd conscious design decision, but whatever.
They should have just did the last of us 2 and added muscles. That could a help justify her build

Top Bottom