• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 high-res PC screenshots! (READ RULES)

sinny

Banned
I should be doing hw said:
Looking at my screens, how are any of those affronting to the eyes? The only bad part of the game visually is the fact that it is UE3 which = no AA and texture streaming. The texture streaming is pretty bad in game in battles, but none of that shows in screens.
The art style/character models are reminiscent of FFXII and they look great to me.

The art style alone makes those pics worth. There are not enough good looking japanese games on pc.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Devil May Cry 4

gaf.jpg

gaf1.jpg

sinny said:
The art style alone makes those pics worth. There are not enough good looking japanese games on pc that aren't made by capcom.
Fixed. The fact that its using the Unreal engine alone is amazing because of how different it looks, I just wish it didn't use it.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
By the way, I renamed AvP.exe to crysis.exe and I got double the framerate -- quite literally.

Getting 75+ fps or so anecdotally with everything maxed out easily.

Anyone know for sure how to get MSAA or Edge AA working in Catalyst?

4870x2, 3.8GHz Yorkfield, Vista 64.

2zyvj8z.jpg

adoi6o.jpg

Binabik15

Holy shit :lol Î can almost feel the subtleness of it´s beauty.

Could someone please post more (spoiler free) Dragon Age pics, I have to play it on my brothers pc with everything on medium and shitty res :/

Darklord

Banned
chespace said:
By the way, I renamed AvP.exe to crysis.exe and I got double the framerate -- quite literally.

How does that work? I've heard this for a couple of games but don't get why a name change improves it so much.

jarosh

it's very much the game's fault in this case (apart from the fact that this isn't even ue3, but an "optimized" ue2/ue2.5). it looks worse than its predecessor and somehow runs worse too. i think they just fucked up with the texture budgeting and the art in general. (keep in mind that i have all settings on high and i'm running dx10/win7 64-bit, which the game is supposed to be optimized for, lol.)

it seems like the whole process of optimizing texture memory/performance was rushed. instead of manually going in and lowering texture resolution in less obvious and visible spots and on objects that generally aren't up in the player's face, they seem to have globally turned down the resolution on a large amount of textures that are very prominently featured on a lot of surfaces and especially on objects that the player interacts with a lot.

and despite the recycling of a lot of assets from the first game, some of the texture choices are really questionable: in the previously flooded area the same low-res rock/stone texture is used across the whole surface of several couches, shelves, furniture and similar objects. why? because they were previously under water? and so they somehow all turned to... stone?

i dunno, i guess it's probably all a result of a much lower overall budget compared to bioshock 1.

commissar

Darklord said:
How does that work? I've heard this for a couple of games but don't get why a name change improves it so much.
I imagine there's calls to crysis.exe which are then converted to avp.exe before being executed? Whereas renaming it would cut out that step each time? Just a guess.

procrastinator

Neo Member
Kabuki Waq said:
not really familiar with hyperthreading...how would i Disable it and will it have any negative effects on other games or apps?

It would be disabled in the system BIOS. The only applications it would really make a dent in is stuff like encoding/video processing. In games it doesnt make much of a difference other than to make things more complicated.

Orellio said:
smh. Have you seen the Mirror's Edge pics laying around here?

Not saying UE is great, but come on man.
Still a shitty engine, especially because it somehow became the defacto engine of this gen. This is coming from an ATI user but still, why no ingame AA settings? And texture streaming = barf, gtfo of my PC games.

Ceebs

Binabik15 said:
Holy shit :lol Î can almost feel the subtleness of it´s beauty.

Could someone please post more (spoiler free) Dragon Age pics, I have to play it on my brothers pc with everything on medium and shitty res :/
Here are a few I grabbed from my current playthough. Nothing really spoilery.

You guys do know that Bioshock 2 isn't fully UE3, right?

UE2.5 heavily modded with some UE3 stuff thrown in. UE3.5 is a decent engine as far as I'm concerned.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
TouchMyBox said:
You guys do know that Bioshock 2 isn't fully UE3, right?

UE2.5 heavily modded with some UE3 stuff thrown in. UE3.5 is a decent engine as far as I'm concerned.
Judging by the amount of Mass Effect 2 shots that rushed into this thread around release, I'd say most agree with you.

I like how Killing Floor is full-on UE2.5 and it still manages to look better than Bioshock 2 (at least, imo from what I've seen).

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
What is this Anno 1404 game? It looks fucking awesome.

Getting some jizz inducing Stronghold (RIP) vibes for some reason.

EvaPlusMinus said:

Anno is a really really really good city builder/trade game. It's amazing; you can get it pretty cheap as well, and there's an expansion out in a few weeks.

Anyway, what do you mean, "Stronghold (RIP)"?

whatevermort said:
Anno is a really really really good city builder/trade game. It's amazing; you can get it pretty cheap as well, and there's an expansion out in a few weeks.

Anyway, what do you mean, "Stronghold (RIP)"?
Maybe he means the awesome game called Stronghold, which had an even more awesome successor named Stronghold Crusader! It's still one of the most enjoyable strategy games for me! Anno 1404 is totally different and is called Dawn of Discovery in the USA, I think.

Fitz

EvaPlusMinus said:

Not surprising, they've both got a similar "build up a huge empire" theme, although Anno is even more focused on empire building and less on combat.

Here are two I took today whilst finishing the Elector scenario.
(Max settings, 1920x1080, 2xAA, 8xAF)

s5k1h3.jpg

j61vg7.jpg

Stahsky

Holy shit, that looks awesome.

I can get it pretty cheap, you say? Can anyone point me in the right direction? I so want to play this game.

DieNgamers said:
Maybe he means the awesome game called Stronghold, which had an even more awesome successor named Stronghold Crusader! It's still one of the most enjoyable strategy games for me!

Oh, yeah, I know that. It was the "RIP" I was most wondering about..

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Tisan said:
I imagine there's calls to crysis.exe which are then converted to avp.exe before being executed? Whereas renaming it would cut out that step each time? Just a guess.

Basically, Nvidia has a profile of settings for almost every game. These settings range from how to force AA to how to utilize SLI configs. Each game is different so they usually have different settings for these. By renaming the .exe to crysis.exe he is telling the graphics card to use the settings it would use for Crysis.

Alternatively, he could use nHancer to replicate the Crysis profile for AvP without having to rename the .exe. For some reason Nvidia actually has the wrong .exes for the latest AvP so it's profile won't be activated by default and you have to manually add the appropriate .exe to make it activate. After I added the actual avp .exes I was getting the framerate boost he was seeing.

Stahsky

whatevermort said:
Oh, yeah, I know that. It was the "RIP" I was most wondering about...

I was talking about Stronghold 2 and how much of a mess it was. Crusaders and the original are awesome, of course.

Edit: Sorry, got carried away. I'll make up with some images on my new PC later this afternoon.

forrest

formerly nacire
Just built a new rig: Gigabyte P55m-UD2, i7 860, 8g DDR3 Ram, ATI HD 5850, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

I've installed so many games in the past couple of days my head is spinning. I've got the pc running to my 55inch Samsung LCD for some on the couch gaming and I'm absolutely loving it.

My first shots are from Dirt 2. I think the screens look really nice, but this game in motion really is stunning. They found the right mix of motion blur, atmospheric perspective and lighting model. Sometimes it just looks very real. Minor quibbles include: polycount on cars could be a smidge higher in the right places, the environment textures fall apart right next to the camera (I can't wait to see id's tech 5 smash this issue with it's mega textures!), and the water sprites aren't quite on par with the rest of the graphics. Really minor nitpicks, this game looks fabulous!

As a side note, does the game launch in DX11? Or is this something I have to make it do?

Dirt2
Settings: 1920x1080, 8x MSAA, Ultra Settings, Catalyst 3d setting turned all the way up.

dirt2_game-2010-02-23-01-53-11-41.jpg

dirt2_game-2010-02-23-02-09-46-28.jpg

The last thumbnail is one of my favorites. It's nothing spectacular in terms of composition, but it's a nice example of how real the game can look at times.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Stallion Free said:
Basically, Nvidia has a profile of settings for almost every game. These settings range from how to force AA to how to utilize SLI configs. Each game is different so they usually have different settings for these. By renaming the .exe to crysis.exe he is telling the graphics card to use the settings it would use for Crysis.

Alternatively, he could use nHancer to replicate the Crysis profile for AvP without having to rename the .exe. For some reason Nvidia actually has the wrong .exes for the latest AvP so it's profile won't be activated by default and you have to manually add the appropriate .exe to make it activate. After I added the actual avp .exes I was getting the framerate boost he was seeing.

Except I have an ATI Radeon HD 4870x2.

Speaking of which, how does the new Crossfire profiles work? I don't even know how to access the new update I've installed?

Durante

I should be doing hw said:
Looking at my screens, how are any of those affronting to the eyes? The only bad part of the game visually is the fact that it is UE3 which = no AA and texture streaming. The texture streaming is pretty bad in game in battles, but none of that shows in screens.
Not necessarily. (scaled from 1920*1080 4xSSAA)
hq__tlr-2009-04-09-12-0cax.jpg

hq__tlr-2009-04-09-12-7fwx.jpg

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Why is it so hard to label the name of the game you are posting? What is the game directly above this post?

People need to stop saying UE3 doesn't support AA. Every UE3 game I have can force it through the drivers, be it an ATi card or an Nvidia card. Sometimes a simple rename is all it takes.

Durante

MyFaceIsOnFire said:
Why is it so hard to label the name of the game you are posting? What is the game directly above this post?
It was a reply so I didn't think it was necessary. The game is The Last Remnant.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
People need to stop saying UE3 doesn't support AA. Every UE3 game I have can force it through the drivers, be it an ATi card or an Nvidia card. Sometimes a simple rename is all it takes.
Yes, but if you force MSAA it often won't work on all the edges. SSAA does, but the performance hit is very large. An engine that correctly supports AA is greatly preferable.

markao

nacire said:
As a side note, does the game launch in DX11? Or is this something I have to make it do?
If you have a DX11 card some options will be available that are not present for people without a DX11 card.

so in short, no ;)

vocab

Dirt 2 runs in DX11 by default if you max everything out. You can edit the config file to turn on DX9 mode, but why would you do that.

Top Bottom