• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 high-res PC screenshots! (READ RULES)

Rightio, the old thread was becoming a little difficult to navigate so I've decided to start off a new one. In the op, I'll lay the ground rules, as well as give some handy tips and download links for anyone that's looking to contribute.

*******POSTING RULES*********

A maximum of two high resolution shots per post. You can post as many thumbnail links as you like but if its bigger than thumbnail size then restrict it to two images.

Name the game you're posting shots of.

Not essential but its generally best to post shots using the settings you actually use ingame, a midrange PC can produce exceptional image quality in most modern games so there's no need for bullshots in this thread. Ofcourse if your PC can manage bullshot quality at decent framerates then go right ahead. If you are posting bullshots then please label them as such.

Be nice! :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Essential downloads:

FRAPs: Take screenshots in any game as well as monitor your framerate, it should be one of the firsdt things a PC gamer installs on a fresh install of Windows.

Imagicon: Batch convert all the .bmp files that FRAPs produces to either .jpg or .png files for smaller file sizes and easier uploading to image hosting websites whilst maintaining image quality through a simple drag and drop interface.

nHancer (Nvidia only): Unlocks a bunch of extra quality modes so that you can use supersampling (among other things) and get bullshot quality in real time if you have the GPU grunt to support it. Its also generally a much better profile manager than the Nvidia control panel, so well worth having.

Recommended image host:

www.abload.de - No resiing or compression and you can upload multiple images at once, highly recommended.

Image Host: No signups, and easy to upload.

Do not use Tinypic.com or imageshack.us

Essential reading:

Triple buffering guide: free framerate boost for anyone that normally uses vsync.

B]Mirror's Edge (1080p 4xAA/8xAF with transparency multisampling)[/B]

4k7h1d.jpg

2w6ykpv.jpg

Grand Theft Auto IV with shadows and post processing mods (mod found here):

jaxmyc.jpg

SEGA Rally

2rootxh.jpg

mww83s.jpg

Outrun 2006 (1080p with 2x2 supersampling, 4xmsaa, 16xAF and transparency supersampling, same as rendering at 9 ties the resolution of 720p with 4xmsaa. :D)

dgkns5.jpg

34gkoas.jpg

:lol :lol I like how you break your own rule with the OP...jk...

I love this thread by the way. It's convinced me to purchase a number of games that I wouldn't have otherwise (ie-Mirror's Edge)

edit: your triple buffering guide link isn't linking to the correct page- unless Cap'N Jazz is a program..

Gully State said:
:lol :lol I like how you break your own rule with the OP...jk...

I love this thread by the way. It's convinced me to purchase a number of games that I wouldn't have otherwise (ie-Mirror's Edge)
He didn't break them, he just showed how it doesn't make much of a difference :lol. It should be two high-res images period, the rest should be thumbnails.

Gully State said:
edit: your triple buffering guide link isn't linking to the correct page- unless Cap'N Jazz is a program..

Wtf!? :lol

No idea how that happened, fixing now.

Whilst the OP is a little excessive and I don't encourage posts like that, well its the OP. It needed special treatment. Most people only ever used to posts shots from one game at a time in the other thread (just a dozen shots per game) so things should be much more managable. I had to give some leeway though, massive screenshots are the point of the thread after all.

jett said:
People should just thumbnail ALL the pictures. :p

The thread would look much less interesting then though, and personally I hate clicking on thumbnails, sure plenty are the same. Its a concession for Dennis4K and since he's one of the greatest contributors, it only seems fair.

Moobabe

Great thread, the old one was my only bookmarked thread and this should make it all a bit more manageable. Great shots too.

Durante

I posted this one already, but it's one of the nicest screenshots I made last year so here it is again :p

Fallout 3
Fallout3-2009-12-04-19-39-52-14.jpg

Cday

Banned
I used to use This so my computer wouldn't get image raped everytime I load this thread at 100 posts per page. Sadly it doesn't work anymore. Any substitutes for this?

brain_stew said:
Wtf!? :lol

No idea how that happened, fixing now.

Whilst the OP is a little excessive and I don't encourage posts like that, well its the OP. It needed special treatment. Most people only ever used to posts shots from one game at a time in the other thread (just a dozen shots per game) so things should be much more managable. I had to give some leeway though, massive screenshots are the point of the thread after all.

Sorry...just cracking wise. I agree that OP gets more leeway. Actually, a little suggestion, this might take a bit of work, but the OP should be a compilation of the best screenshots of the thread. It would not only allow for people new to the thread to get interested but also would reward those that really put some great real world performance screenshots..

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Can we also get a rule that everything above 1920x gets thumbnailed?

Two shots per post is good though, so we have to pick high-quality contributions, instead of hi-res spam posts. Screw a topic full of thumbnails, we just need to go by the limits and everything will be fine.

Ceebs

The Saboteur at max with it's minimal settings available...I have still been unable to get AA of any sort to work with this game, and I am not sure if forcing AF is even working. It looks nice in motion though, but the stills do not look up to par.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Also, how do you know nHancer is working? I installed it a while back but I have no idea when it's doing anything.

K.Jack said:
Can we also get a rule that everything above 1920x gets thumbnailed?
I don't think we need to do that, it would be reverse discrimination against users of higher res displays :p

Doom 3 Max Settings 8xAA 1680x1050. Average ~60fps

81791_Doom3_2010-01-01_16-16-37-03_122_436lo.jpg

81792_Doom3_2010-01-01_16-23-17-73_122_913lo.jpg

Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer
Max Settings 4xAA. ~90 FPS
81800_iw4mp_2010-01-01_16-09-58-99_122_120lo.jpg

Modern Warfare 2 Singleplayer
Max Settings 8xAA. ~90 FPS
81806_iw4sp_2010-01-01_15-58-59-18_122_495lo.jpg

androvsky

Out of curiosity, is anyone running at or near 4096x2160? I'm looking to show off a display, and I'm wondering what looks good and is still playable at that resolution (assuming an ATI 5970 at the moment).

Wings of Prey looks really good.

I really need to get a monitor that has a higher resolution than 1024x768, so I could take part in this thread. I kinda wish this old CRT would finally die out, so at least have an excuse to buy one.

x3sphere

androvsky said:
Out of curiosity, is anyone running at or near 4096x2160? I'm looking to show off a display, and I'm wondering what looks good and is still playable at that resolution (assuming an ATI 5970 at the moment).

I game at 2560x1600 with a 5970 and get well over 100 FPS in most games even with 4xAA applied. You'd probably be taking a 35-40 % performance hit compared to my res, so I'd say you should be fine. Won't be able to max Crysis though. Perhaps two 5970 could manage it, but quadfire scaling isn't that great at the moment.

Dennis

Banned
To brain_stew: Nice thread and OP. I think you settled on some good and sensible rules :D
I have tried using the GTA 4 mod you linked to but I keep going back to the ENB Series mod that allows SSAA to be enabled. The jaggies in vanilla GTA 4 are needles in my eyes.

To Durante: That screenshot of Fallout 3 that you have posted here, and in the previous thread, is by far the greatest I have ever seen. By far. Stunning.
I have been meaning to ask you: what mods and ini tweaks did you use?

Below are two screenshots from STALKER with the Complete 2009 mod. The atmosphere and tension when night starts to fall and darkness decends, is second to none.
I have never felt such "Survival Horror" as my first night in STALKER, armed only with a shitty pistol and a crappy shotgun. Good times.

Dennis

Banned
Modern Warfare 2

I actually think the SP campaign was superior to the one in MW 1 and the length was fine by me. Go figure.

x3sphere said:
I game at 2560x1600 with a 5970 and get well over 100 FPS in most games even with 4xAA applied. You'd probably be taking a 35-40 % performance hit compared to my res, so I'd say you should be fine. Won't be able to max Crysis though. Perhaps two 5970 could manage it, but quadfire scaling isn't that great at the moment.

He really wouldn't, that's more than twice the resolution of your screen, should probably expect performance to half. Still, multiplatform titles should run OK but running games at that resolution is the same as running them at 1080p with 4x supersampling, and that means an enormous performance cost.

Actually, try running some games with 2x1 supersampling, performance should be very similar to what it'd be like on that monitor.

-----------------

I like the idea of the op being a showcase for the best shots, I'll get to work on that once we hit two pages or so.

Sanjay

Burnout Paradise Max settings, 16xAF, 8xAA, triple buffering on, V-sync on, 60FPS.

Specs
E8400 @ 3.8ghz
GTX 260-216
4GB DDR2

SuperAwesome said:
nhancer website states it's not supported on 8x00 cards.

Hmm, seems strange considering its supported on all other card, all you can do is try it out, it'll do no harm. nHancer is well worth having anyway, much better than the driver's profile manager.

you know what i would LOVE to see what people's setups or specs were after some of these images. i'm awaiting an RMA on a 260 that was so broken in the first place that I couldn't do anything with it originally, but everything else is pretty high end as far as processing etc. goes ;p

i know there's a PC building thread but this seems like a more expected place to see that stuff

Dennis

Banned
androvsky said:
Well, I am running GTA 4 at 5120x3200 but I wouldn't call it playable. At all. Looks good though :lol :lol :lol

But maybe you could try MW2, RE5 or Stalker Complete 2009. I think they look great but are not super demanding with modern hardware.

burgerdog

Someone should post pictures of Tomb Raider: Underworld. I'm playing it at 1920x1080 with everything maxed and it's a gorgeous game.

Manp

MW2 PC version looks great! and those textures in RE5, damn! :O

just completed Mirror's Edge on PC (got it on stream couple of weeks ago for like 2€)... with everything at max @ 1920x1080 the game looks really good (too bad everything else sucks imo).
couldn't get me to finish it on Xbox last year.

:)

Dennis

Banned
burgerdog said:
Someone should post pictures of Tomb Raider: Underworld. I'm playing it at 1920x1080 with everything maxed and it's a gorgeous game.
Well, why don't you post some? Contribute :D .

bee

burgerdog said:

two of my old ones

vyqqyr.jpg

nwn4t2.jpg

another game that looks stunning in 3D though

burgerdog said:

Its great apart from the super, super low resolution shadowing that puts a bit of a dampener on the visuals.

As for my specs:

GTX 260-216 @ 675/1404/1161
E5200 @ 3.6hz
6GB DDR2

Nothing particularly high end, really.

JdFoX187

Banned
Borderlands 16xAF, everything maxed. Wasn't a fan of the artstyle when they first unveilled it, but it has grown on me.

k50pd5.jpg

androvsky

brain_stew said:
He really wouldn't, that's more than twice the resolution of your screen, should probably expect performance to half. Still, multiplatform titles should run OK but running games at that resolution is the same as running them at 1080p with 4x supersampling, and that means an enormous performance cost.

Actually, try running some games with 2x1 supersampling, performance should be very similar to what it'd be like on that monitor.

Thanks to you and x3sphere for the info. I think as long as I can keep the framerate above 30 fps with texture detail maxed out it'll be fine.

Top Bottom