• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim 360 sooner than we think?

fernoca said:
If anything, I doubt it will be "slim"..but more like "short". Just take the current design, cut it in half and it would be quite nice, plus guarantees compataibility with the current HDDs.

I can already see it.

1gsosh.jpg

J-Rzez

They should've made a slim years ago. The console is still the least reliable out of the lot. It needs a total redesign. I know they're trying to recoup costs any way they can, but they need to do this. Make something visually attractive, get rid of the proprietary bs, and built like a rock. I would get rid of my 360 for it in a heartbeat. It'd also make me more confident in buying their next gen machine day one, oddly enough. As of now, I won't consider buying it day one due to the debacle that the hardware has been.

noah111

Still Alive
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
I can already see it.

http://i47.tinypic.com/1gsosh.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
No me.

[IMG]http://scalegamer.com/images/xbox/hddvd/xbox360-hddvd.jpg

Just ignore the hd dvd part..

I don't photoshop, but I think that they'll steal some design cues from the Wii. Make it a thick wii with the same 360 inhaled design. Slot on the top. IR sensor on left under the slot (or just take it out) memory card slots stacked or just cut down to one slot. Two USB ports to the right of the Memory Card. The sync and power buttons on the right. I think the ring of light might be replaced with slot illumination depending on whether Nintendo's patented that or not, and whether MS is interested in getting rid of the ring of light after the RROD fiasco.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
burgerdog said:
I'd so buy a 360 slim.

Yes.

I really want this. A smaller, quieter and more dependable 360 would be so nice. I would be on board day one, hopefully if they do it they'll have some kind of data transfer thing so I can just move all my shit to the new system. Also, I'm sick of my tiny 20gb HDD so the if slim were to have a larger, built in HDD I would be even more thrilled about it.

J-Rzez said:
The console is still the least reliable out of the lot.
I'm not buying that. I've seen no evidence that the Jasper revision of the 360 is any less (or more) reliable than the competition.

J-Rzez

Psychotext said:
I'm not buying that. I've seen no evidence that the Jasper revision of the 360 is any less (or more) reliable than the competition.

Okay, you can stick to that, I'll stick to people I know who bought them and had to make their coffin calls. My console is on it's way out, acting that way again, and I won't purchase another one if it dies unless they go out of their way and build a more solid machine. Too many headaches with this console to warrant the troubles again. They should have overbuilt the machine from the get go until they can shrink it down.

J-Rzez said:
Okay, you can stick to that, I'll stick to people I know who bought them and had to make their coffin calls.
I can only go by the people that report the deaths of their 360s in the dead 360 thread, and there have only been a couple of Jasper model failures. Hell, there's been more slims reported dead on GAF.

It's all anecdotal, but as I said, there's really nothing out there which points either way. Certainly nothing which should have you stating it with the certainty you seem to be.

quick paint crop and compare.

xbox360.jpg

they have LOTS of room to work with. smaller ring of light, slot loader and maybe slightly tweak the shape. no need for HDD redesign and no one buys faceplates anyway. now that i've messed with it i dont think they'd even call it slim. maybe mini or something.

Why does everyone still think the HDD is a dealbreaker? They would happily sell you one with an inbuilt drive and have you transfer your files.

Hell, they could even make a proprietary slot for a laptop HDD and still rip people off with some sort of proprietary drive + connection mechanism.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Also, if you're reading this Microsoft, I want one of those sexy high tech disc slots that just suck in the game like on the chubby PS3.

itsgreen

Also it is more likely he is justed talking about another SKU rather then a whole new device...

He has done this in the past...

Things I expect and/or predict for a slimmer version of the 360:

Marketing:
  • Name: 360+ or 360plus
  • Audience: Will shift towards the 'cool' casual user - XBLA, Zune Video Store, Social network stuff will be more important than ever.
  • Corp Strategy: It might also play an important if not a keyrole in MicroSoft's Cloud-Computing strategy (as the main access point from the living room).
  • Boxart: Even boxarts will get a redesign to make it easier to differentiate between a standard 360 and a 360+(Natal) game
  • Color: They will probably ditch green as their main color and switch to someting like orange. That could be one of the boldest move towards a complete rebranding of the current Xbox devision.
  • Release: November '10, worldwide.
  • Price: $199 - $249 - $299 including Natal (which will be about $80)

Guts:
  • Disc drive: Slot loading.
  • Cooling: Very small and few fans or completely fanless.
  • Storage: Either MicroSoft goes with SSD (starting from 32GB as a starter model) or with traditional harddrives (starting from 120GB).
  • Wireless: 801.11n build-in

Hardware:
  • Size: Roughly the size of the current model but half the height (think of those slim BR players).
  • Power brick: Yes, there'll be one - somewhat smaller though.
  • Design: It'll look nothing like the current model - designwise it goes with Natal and vice versa.
  • Dashboard: New dashboard design (also coming to the current model) to become Natal friendly.
  • 3rd party (non-game) Apps: Most likely not, but you can never know.

As soon as I saw the bundle I thought the same thing.

Microsoft marketing is going to be on a vicious assault this holiday. I mean Halo Reach + Natal launch?

To me it is clear they are going to be putting out an attractive new "relaunch" of sorts. Probably a smaller, cheaper , and more attractive model to work well with Natal visually at a good price point.

To stop people from waiting around they came out with this awesome bundle and with Reach beta, Splinter Cell, and Alan Wake just around the corner they have a plan in place to keeping selling systems throughout the entire year.

KAL2006

Banned
WasteLand Soldier said:
quick paint crop and compare.

xbox360.jpg

they have LOTS of room to work with. smaller ring of light, slot loader and maybe slightly tweak the shape. no need for HDD redesign and no one buys faceplates anyway. now that i've messed with it i dont think they'd even call it slim. maybe mini or something.

If they make a small power button, they could make it short as the end of the CD tray. They could have built in Wireless N/G, shorter size, Natal bundled, slot loading disk.

Apath

which1spink said:
Color: They will probably ditch green as their main color and switch to someting like orange. That could be one of the boldest move towards a complete rebranding of the current Xbox devision.
Not sure if Microsoft wants to go anywhere near red/orange for brand coloring, considering the whole red ring fiasco.

Kenak said:
Not sure if Microsoft wants to go anywhere near red/orange for brand coloring, considering the whole red ring fiasco.
No, because when switching to red/orange they make the transition for current 360 users somewhat easy. See? There's a logic behind it.

no way in hell they are dropping the xbox or the 360 monikers. too tied into LIVE and their hardcore base. and no way they are changing the colors. as someone said orange is too close to red. the green and white are a good fit for the casual market still. if anything it may be a purer white or different finish like the dsi and the green may become more neon or leafy if that makes sense.

as far as the name goes it will be something that goes with the idea of movement. 360 flow or 360 jump. there are also some hints of design cues out there already. in pictures natal is dark grey with green but still has xbox stylings to it. i'd bet this new 360 follows the same look.

goldenpp72

Earlier than expected would have been 2009, I expected a redesign to come with natal. I wonder if MS will recolor anything, make the power light blue and the dvd cases for natal games blue? :p

which1spink said:
Color: They will probably ditch green as their main color and switch to someting like orange. That could be one of the boldest move towards a complete rebranding of the current Xbox devision.
I would be sad :lol
Green is one of the reasons I bought an XBOX. But orange is cool too.
Remove Power Brick and I will be happy. Once my XBOX is at a location, I'm done with moving it because of that brick

noah111

Still Alive
goldenpp72 said:
Earlier than expected would have been 2009, I expected a redesign to come with natal. I wonder if MS will recolor anything, make the power light blue and the dvd cases for natal games blue? :p
Nah, though i'd love to see it being more of an actual 'box' this time around. :p

Fox Mulder

smaller
internal power supply
built in wireless
internal HDD
slot loading DVD drive

Do it MS. My 360's DVD drive died, and I'll just hang in there with my ps3 if these 360 slim rumors are heating up again.

here we go

xbox-natal320090601234045.jpg

the design has to be based on this. it fits nicely with the old and the new. doesnt stray far from the old design but will definately feel refreshed. now that i'm looking at the lighting and angle of that box in the background thats exactly what i was talking about. a cleaner white, more "earth energy" like greens.

expy

Banned
WasteLand Soldier said:
here we go

the design has to be based on this. it fits nicely with the old and the new. doesnt stray far from the old design but will definately feel refreshed.
What's up with the orange ring?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Guts:

* Disc drive: Slot loading.
* Cooling: Very small and few fans or completely fanless.
* Storage: Either MicroSoft goes with SSD (starting from 32GB as a starter model) or with traditional harddrives (starting from 120GB).
* Wireless: 801.11n build-in
:lol :lol :lol

I'm 100% sure that Natal will be launched with a 360 redesign. The current design of the 360 is not enough casual-friendly for the target that they are aiming.

noah111

Still Alive
bkfount said:
smaller
internal power supply
built in wireless
internal HDD
slot loading DVD drive

Do it MS. My 360's DVD drive died, and I'll just hang in there with my ps3 if these 360 slim rumors are heating up again.
Why internal HDD? Noninterchangeable then? Best way to go is either the PS3 route (internal standard 2.5" HDD) or somehow keep the current HDDs they use with the new design.

As for everything else (built in wifi, internal power supply, slot loading drive), they better be in the new model, and tbh should've been added into new SKU's a loong time ago.

Hazaro said:
Yeah, I was joking. There'll be an expensive tray loader to keep the price up, lots of fans cuz the hardware will be exactly the same and there's no chance M$ will put wireless on the board itself because it's the same internal design after all. Lulz we had.

WasteLand Soldier said:
here we go

the design has to be based on this. it fits nicely with the old and the new. doesnt stray far from the old design but will definately feel refreshed. now that i'm looking at the lighting and angle of that box in the background thats exactly what i was talking about. a cleaner white, more "earth energy" like greens.
Now that the camera off loads the info to the 360 cpu instead of doing it's own processing isn't the final camera smaller? looks huge.

kaskade

I will buy it. I only have a 20 gb hard drive. That power brick is huge and annoying. Also it sounds like a space ship when the disc starts spinning.

Iksenpets

Banned
I don't think they really care about continuity with the HDD. Any slim console they make will have a primary objective of being bundled with Natal to be sold to the kind of casuals who don't already own a 360. Those people don't have a 360 HDD to worry about, but they do worry about the console looking attractive on their entertainment center, and Microsoft is going to get it as close to a Wii form factor as they can to appeal to those people. A shortened console that can still use the original HDD might do just as much for saving space, but fat and squat is not nearly as marketable to the mainstream market as slim and elegant. And the vast majority of people who both already own a 360 and would be willing to spend the money to upgrade are also tech savvy enough to use a transfer cable packaged with it, so as long as they package a transfer cable with it, who are they really alienating?

Diablohead said:
Now that the camera off loads the info to the 360 cpu instead of doing it's own processing isn't the final camera smaller? looks huge.

That is not the final camera design.

I expect an xbox redesign with the natal launch.

itsgreen

Diablohead said:

Even if the camera also had its own processing unit, you can be sure it would have had a redesign before launch.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
which1spink said:
Yeah, I was joking. There'll be an expensive tray loader to keep the price up, lots of fans cuz the hardware will be exactly the same after all and there's no chance M$ will put wireless on the board itself because it's the same internal design after all. Lulz we had.

Just the mention of including wireless n (unnecessary) and the SSD.
Tray loading more expensive than slot? Really?

Everything else in the post looks good. I'd guess a dark green / grey / black for color though.

Linkified

Iksenpets said:
I don't think they really care about continuity with the HDD. Any slim console they make will have a primary objective of being bundled with Natal to be sold to the kind of casuals who don't already own a 360. Those people don't have a 360 HDD to worry about, but they do worry about the console looking attractive on their entertainment center, and Microsoft is going to get it as close to a Wii form factor as they can to appeal to those people. A shortened console that can still use the original HDD might do just as much for saving space, but fat and squat is not nearly as marketable to the mainstream market as slim and elegant. And the vast majority of people who both already own a 360 and would be willing to spend the money to upgrade are also tech savvy enough to use a transfer cable packaged with it, so as long as they package a transfer cable with it, who are they really alienating?

Nope.

Microsoft wants to sell DLC to everyone - casual, core or inbetween they need a HDD in any console they do. Plus Microsoft have been kings of the micropayment console, by people buying console accessories rather than buying an off the self 2.5" SATA HDD.

Hazaro said:
Just the mention of including wireless n (unnecessary) and the SSD.

Well, try to make a home electronic device without built-in wireless today. Good luck.

What's price is that chip again (when being onboard)? 50cent or something like that? Couldn't be such a hard task soldering this sucker on the mainboard when redesigning the whole fucking thing, right?

Shambles

The wording of the title seems odd as if by "sooner" would imply that a "slim" version of a console turning 5 this year is quicker than would be expected. This doesn't really add to the thread but for some weird reason that really irks me.

besiktas1

Slot loading
Internal 250gb hard drive
Wireless LAN
3 USB's at back 1 at front
Bundled with Natal

is what I want

2jf0n7r.png

which1spink said:
Well, try to make a home electronic device without built-in wireless today. Good luck.

What's price is that chip again (when being onboard)? 50cent or something like that? Couldn't be such a hard task soldering this sucker on the mainboard when redesigning the whole fucking thing, right?
I see. Just sell them wireless functionality as a downloadable 108kb key.

Top Bottom