• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim 360 sooner than we think?

Dogenzaka said:
I don't believe a Slim 360 will come out. They never slimmed the original Xbox, and that needed a trimming way more than the 360.

They couldn't have, it wasn't economically feasible with Intel and NVIDIA owning the crucial components. With the 360 Microsoft owns all the components so that's not an issue anymore.

GarthVaderUK said:
Not sure if they'd build Natal into the hardware though (as Engadget suggested)

No, that would make no sense whatsoever.

Man said:
Maybe they should just wire the DVD-rom out so you could hide the rest of the X360 system behind the tv bench. So small.

And make everything but the DVD drive completely transparent!

Pimpbaa

Hopefully the build quality will be much better (and has a slot loading drive!). Dying to replace my rickety old 360.

mollipen

Linkified said:
No, consoles should never be stood vertically - hell even my wii gurgles like something mad when its vertical.

My Wii is vertical, my PS3 is vertical, and the only reason my 360 isn't is because of where it's currently located. Never had any problems. *shrugs*

ymmv

Banned
HamPster PamPster said:
PS2 slim sized or bust!!

You think 360/PS3 could get that small (or close to it) while games are still released for it?

PS2 Slim? I don't think so, but the new 360 Slim should be as big as a Wii. What used to be state of the art hardware will be 5 years old when Natal is launched this fall.

itsgreen

HamPster PamPster said:
PS2 slim sized or bust!!

You think 360/PS3 could get that small (or close to it) while games are still released for it?

Hmmm not for a year or 2 but it could happen. All depends on combining components, an integrated xenon/xenos chip would make it a lot more feasable.

Also don't expect a slim soon-soon. The best one can hope is an E3 announcement for a launch with Natal.

Cataferal said:
Perhaps they could sidestep the issue by integrating the HDD this time.

And lose the opportunity to sell overpriced proprietary drives? Nah, I don't think they will do that. Same reason you will never see wifi in an xbox 360.

HamPster PamPster said:
PS2 slim sized or bust!!

Would that really be a good idea? PS2 slim is not the most reliable console out there.

H_Prestige said:
Same reason you will never see wifi in an xbox 360.

I wouldn't bet my house on that.

itsgreen said:
Hmmm not for a year or 2 but it could happen. All depends on combining components, an integrated xenon/xenos chip would make it a lot more feasable.
If they put the two chips onto a single die they can also go with a graphics card style cooling system, which would be far more efficient (and quieter too).

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
360 slim would rock. Got a PS3 slim and he needs a little brother! I rarely play my 360 anymore due to freezes :/

It would be the perfect companion for Natal. Natal is looking to capture a much wider audience; a re-brand of the Xbox 360 will undoubtedly help that. It'll still be the Xbox 360 of course, but the final name for Natal is what they're going to push -- similar to Infinity Wards attempts to downplay the 'Call of Duty' part of the MW2 title. You and I are going to know it's a smaller 360 with a peripheral, but Joe Public is going to see it as "that new Natal* thing from Microsoft".

*replace with true name as it is unveiled.

crasherball

Neo Member
Linkified said:
I doubt it, simply becuase the HDD they would need to produce new size ones, woudn't they?

well, they dont have to put in the harddrive ontop of the 360...

maybe like at the back or on the side or something

Linkified

crasherball said:
well, they dont have to put in the harddrive ontop of the 360...

maybe like at the back or on the side or something

Its already on the side though, maybe include built in wifi or something. And you can't include the HDD inside the system as then they can't sell you anymore 'upgrades' to it.

What would it look like? Crunched to something thinner with the hard drive clamp on top, or a thick Wii with the hard drive clamping to the side?

Linkified said:
No, consoles should never be stood vertically - hell even my wii gurgles like something mad when its vertical.

So thinking aobut it some more, new form factor could simply be kinda the following:

• No disk drive
  • No harddrive attachment at all and more of a media box so you just need to use memory card with the whole you can stream videos thing

But I would be shocked if they introduced a new version in scope, or design now.
I'm sorry but that sounds like a horrible idea if your serious. How would you play a game that's on a disc?

H_Prestige said:
And lose the opportunity to sell overpriced proprietary drives? Nah, I don't think they will do that. Same reason you will never see wifi in an xbox 360.

The only other example I can think of is when Sony started selling the HDD for the fat PS2 and they wouldn't let you save your games directly to the HDD, you still were forced to buy an overpriced proprietary memory card to save games. I can't think of any other system that did that so I wouldn't be surprised if MS kept it that way with their shitty overpriced memory.

Unfortunately, they are making a bunch of money selling the proprietary stuff so I doubt we'll see a change until the next gen Xbox comes out. I do think it may have wifi built in though since so many people cry about it.

expy

Banned
I doubt they'll release a slim 360, but you never know. That would be a whole new set of accessories to sell... Different HDD casing, different faceplates.

Majine

Banned
The 360 has alot of dead space. Who uses the memory card slots anyway? Replace the current discdrive with what PS3 and Wii uses, Make the HDD internal.

Oh, and put Wifi in it while you're at it, ffs.

All better.

DMeisterJ

Banned
After the news of the slim PS3s making an annoying whirring noise, and the cheaper plastic expanding and contracting making sounds, I'll pass and just pick up the spring bundle. I do love smaller consoles, but with Microsoft's history, the spring bundle looks pretty awesome.

expy

Banned
Majine said:
The 360 has alot of dead space. Who uses the memory card slots anyway? Replace the current discdrive with what PS3 and Wii uses, Make the HDD internal.

Oh, and put Wifi in it while you're at it, ffs.

All better.
Why would they want to lose out on easy cash?

expy said:
I doubt they'll release a slim 360, but you never know. That would be a whole new set of accessories to sell... Different HDD casing, different faceplates.
That would cause a massive backlash. The way the HDD attaches kinda sticks them to one or two different design strategies for a physically smaller system. Make it just as thick, but only as wide as the Wii, or make it thinner but stick the hard drive on top.

I predicted that MS would bundle Natal with a slimline 360 a year ago. I bet we'll see it announced at E3. Same internal H/W, smaller form factor, Natal bundled with every console, possible rebranding of the machine to distance itself from Xbox (though games will be advertised as compatable with "Natal Console" and the 360.

fernoca

If anything, I doubt it will be "slim"..but more like "short". Just take the current design, cut it in half and it would be quite nice, plus guarantees compataibility with the current HDDs.

expy

Banned
Well, the power-brick is already freaking huge, so, they "could" pack in a whole lot of hardware into a separate unit and then you could consider the "main" unit slim. :lol :lol

Linkified

InterMoniker said:
I'm sorry but that sounds like a horrible idea if your serious. How would you play a game that's on a disc?

I'm serious, MS would love it if you bought all the games from the Game on Demand service.

PSGames

Shig said:
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. Presumably the unit would run cooler, so they could lessen or eliminate the top vent that sits in front of the HDD, and the space below the disc drive is pretty simple to condense; Move the 'ring of light' up (maybe shrink it a bit too) and maybe put the usb ports where the second memory card slot is (considering I have never ever seen a 360 with two memory cards in the slots)... The bottom of that redesigned unit would start about the bottom-middle of where the current power button sits.

Can anyone with some good photoshop skills make us a quick mock-up?

Linkified

Majine said:
I facepalm on Sony for this, and I think GoD is even worse.

The problem is the prices for games rather than the concept. I've bought a game on GoD when I wasn't very well it is useful in that regard.

fernoca

expy said:
Well, the power-brick is already freaking huge, so, they "could" pack in a whole lot of hardware into a separate unit and then you could consider the "main" unit slim. :lol :lol
To be fair, recent models have smaller power bricks, though still relatively big..at compared compared to the Wii...but not as big as a chihuahua like the original ones... :p

InterMoniker said:
And Gamestop wouldn't, I couldn't see MS doing that to retailers.
They'd love to do that to retailers. The big problem is that you'd see a rebellion from gamers who aren't interested in paying full price for every game. I'll buy certain games straight off when they come out, but for a lot of them I'm going to want to rent them or pick them up later at a cheaper price or pick them up on goozex a few years out.

2nd problem is that a lot of people are uninterested in hooking their 360 to the internet.

The Wii was more mature tech when launched than the 360 will be at the end of 2010, so don't expect Wii-like sizes.

Also, Natal probably can't be "integrated" in the main case, as it needs to "see" the room - wouldn't work e.g. behind the glass door of an entertainment center, or in a deep recess in said center.

Top Bottom