• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

The word is May in limited quantities. I can't wait. Bunny Boy has been showing off just how crazy the compatibility and accuracy is recently. It will definitely take the place of my non-modded AV Fami when it comes out. Price point is expected to be under $200 which I think is fair.

Links? I can't find much out there aside from a Youtube video (with only background music) of the thing running CV3 US. I have a friend asking (couldn't get in on the NT train :( ) and I'm trying to help him secure one of these.

dcx4610

Links? I can't find much out there aside from a Youtube video (with only background music) of the thing running CV3 US. I have a friend asking (couldn't get in on the NT train :( ) and I'm trying to help him secure one of these.

It's best just to follow his thread here:

http://nintendoage.com/auth/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=1&catid=7&threadid=92557

He was showing off the Famicom Disk System recently. He's thought of everything.....

A90F42AB-0631-0FFD-99BD805E739DD3FC.png

SKINNER!

Banned
Probably asked a million times but what's the best version of the NES? I was planning to pick up a NES everdrive and I found out today that the PAL NES is the worst NES console to pick up. Had my eye on the Famicom AV but I'm worried it's gonna be pricey. What's the best version of the NES that has AV and allows me to play all region games flawlessly? I do like the look of the classic NES but everyone says that they're not as sturdy as the toploader ones. Would've automatically went for the nice looking Famicom but the non detachable controllers and RF only output is a big downside. Also, say I got a Famicom AV, is it possible to connect and use the traditional NES controller (not bone shaped one) on it?

Probably asked a million times but what's the best version of the NES? I was planning to pick up a NES everdrive and I found out today that the PAL NES is the worst NES console to pick up. Had my eye on the Famicom AV but I'm worried it's gonna be pricey. What's the best version of the NES that has AV and allows me to play all region games flawlessly? I do like the look of the classic NES but everyone says that they're not as sturdy as the toploader ones. Would've automatically went for the nice looking Famicom but the non detachable controllers and RF only output is a big downside. Also, say I got a Famicom AV, is it possible to connect and use the traditional NES controller (not bone shaped one) on it?

If you have a AV Fami, you can hook up NES controllers to it, plus you have the EXT port that a normal Famicom has, so you can use other Famicom controllers. That's the route I took.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

The AV Famicom is the way to go imo, its overall the best of the bunch. Becomes even better if you get somebody to mod it for RGB.

OnPoint

To be fair...the music is pretty cool and its not that bad.

The music is phenomenal. It's a damn shame I can't find the motivation to fight the bad game design the whole way through to hear it all. I guess that's what Youtube is for.

I fired up the game the other day with a friend who plays NES games with me often. Between the two of us, we're pretty good at those things (probably not unlike the rest of you in here). I didn't tell him much at first -- somehow he also had never played this one. He came to the same conclusion I did. The first level of the game is the most horribly designed first level I may have ever seen and provides an awful introduction. It's so frustrating that it actively makes you want to quit. The controls feel off and they do everything they can to fight your instincts. Enemies are often diagonally below you, leaving you unable to attack them. It's just a mess.

Then, beating it gives way to some cool stuff. The in-between level limbo levels are a cool idea. The auto-sidescrolling stage is pretty cool. Why isn't there more of this? Then, the vertical climbing section on the second planet came up. That's where he had enough. Funny, it was the same place I decided I was done.

It's just poorly designed. There's never any reward or good feeling to completing something. Literally everything is a struggle that 50% of the time you're not sure you could get past again. Games like Mega Man, Ninja Gaiden or Castlevania, those games are hard, but they reward players for being adept and provide proper tools to master. There's none of that here.

The real shame is that it's got all of the pieces to be a classic. The graphics are decent, the soundtrack is awesome, the concept is weird and quirky, and there's a lot of variety, but the controls and middle-finger level-design ruin that. It's 9 bucks today for a reason.

SKINNER!

Banned
Neogaf never fails. Thanks guys :D

Now to search for a cheap AV famicom when I head to Japan this summer. Also, I must remember to pick up the Famicom Everdrive.

dcx4610

Neogaf never fails. Thanks guys :D

Now to search for a cheap AV famicom when I head to Japan this summer. Also, I must remember to pick up the Famicom Everdrive.

Another vote for AV Famicom but you need a voltage converter to be safe. Part of me says just wait on the AVS unless you are a purist to have HDMI. You could also then use either the NES or Famicom Everdrive.

SKINNER!

Banned
Another vote for AV Famicom but you need a voltage converter to be safe. Part of me says just wait on the AVS unless you are a purist to have HDMI. You could also then use either the NES or Famicom Everdrive.

Sorry, I don't follow. What's AVS? I don't really need HDMI.

Another vote for AV Famicom but you need a voltage converter to be safe.

I read somewhere that you can use a Model 1 Genesis/Mega Drive adapter. I was planning on getting one from Consolegoods

D.Lo

I read somewhere that you can use a Model 1 Genesis/Mega Drive adapter. I was planning on getting one from Consolegoods
Yes, forget about voltage adapters, extra bulk and extra fail points.

A Master System/Mega Drive 1 power adapter can safely power:

SG1000
Sg1000 II
Famicom
Mark III
Master System (all versions)
NES (all versions)
Master System 2
AV Famicom
Top Loader NES
PC Engine (all non-CD machines)
Mega Drive 1
Super Famicom
PAL SNES
Mega CD
Mega CD 2
Game Gear

Really the only major things from that era it can't do are the ones with the same power requirements but retarded special plugs, like the US SNES and Mega Drive 2, or combo systems like PC Engine Duo.

Wasted my time this morning going to a game store in a local mall. Overpriced for everything, including a terrible selection of FC stuff that was almost nothing but mahjongg and Famista titles. Uggh. He was selling it like it was gold though. Also had some SFC titles that might have been nice to get, but since they were in box, he was selling them as if they were the US versions. Overall pretty lame.

I spent some quality time with my Famicom yesterday playing the 1943 port, and I had no idea how bloody hard the game was going into it (despite playing the arcade version quite a bit over the last couple of days).

Most of the levels were fine in the beginning, especially if you grab the hidden upgrades for your ship and upgrade the right things. However when I hit stage 9 the difficulty started to rise, but really it was stage 15 that completely destroyed my progress for several hours - few health pickups, many big planes that deal loads of damage and take several hits to destroy and the boat section had pretty evil enemy placements. In the end I favoured dodging enemies instead of shooting them down, a tactic that worked very well, especially as the bastards that made the game reused the template for this level for level 22 (which had even less health pickups!).
But the toughest was stage 24, I couldn't turn my Famicom off since there was no passcode for this stage, and I didn't fancy doing stage 23 again. I must have spent 2+ hours alone on that level, not only is the first section really tough with its enemy placement, but chucking 6 optional boat bosses before a rejigged Yamato boss battle really challenged my skills, since your health continually ticks down throughout the entire level you'll be left with next to nothing by the time you hit the actual boss.
Oh, and you only have 1 life to finish the entire level with. Good luck, you'll need it!

I managed it in the end though, most satisfying win I've had in some time, this level is one of the toughest I've played from Capcom in my opinion, especially as I'm not all that great with shooters. Its a brilliant port though, really impressed at how close the first 16 stages (the arcade version only had 16) were to the arcade version.

eXistor

I'm currently in the middle of cataloguing all my games and I just randomly found out that the PAL Ghosts 'n Goblins is actually called Ghost'n Goblins, as in Goblins that are Ghosting. The title screen still says Ghosts 'n Goblins, but what an odd thing to change. Could it just be a typo?

I'm currently in the middle of cataloguing all my games and I just randomly found out that the PAL Ghosts 'n Goblins is actually called Ghost'n Goblins, as in Goblins that are Ghosting. The title screen still says Ghosts 'n Goblins, but what an odd thing to change. Could it just be a typo?

Ghost'n Goblins.

You're ghosting (killing) the fuckers.

OnPoint

GrBwstP.png

"April showers bring May flowers"... isn't that the saying? Well, Street
Fighter 2010 could be considered something of a rainy day. Hopefully
Nintendo's Wrecking Crew can be the bouquet we all so desperately need!​

thKXHOL.png

Let's get dat Wikipedia description up and moving:
The player controls Mario (or Luigi in two-player mode) and attempts to destroy all of a certain set of objects with a large hammer on each of 100 levels. Mario cannot jump because of the hammer's weight. The player can select any level to start on from the title screen. Each level takes place on a playfield divided into an invisible grid, each space of which can contain one object. Objects include destructible walls, pillars, and ladders, indestructible barrels and ladders, bombs that destroy all connected destructible objects, and various enemies that Mario must avoid. Doors may also exist, which can be opened to cause enemies to move harmlessly into the background.​

Here's how the voting shook out for anyone interested.

Turned out Street FIghter 2010 and Wrecking crew ended up tied last time around,
so we had to think quickly and come up with a tie breaking procedure. We selected
the game that has, on average, the cheapest price to go first. Then the other game will
be the selection for the next month. Going forward, that's how we'll do things.

Header image by D Lo, Monthly image made
by Wanyodos. Guidelines below by RavenholmDX. Selection Process by OnPoint.
Thanks guys!

NES Game Club Guidelines
The nominated title should be readily available via standard
channels such as eBay, for a reasonable price (Maximum $30,
preferably less to give the majority of people a chance to join
in). The title should be a licensed NES/Famicom title (No hacks,
homebrew, multicarts). Only exception is unlicensed, but readily available titles.
The title should be available in English, and if not, it should at the very least be
playable without knowledge of Japanese.

Due to the nature of the Club, excessively long or grind-heavy
games such as RPGs will be excluded.

Use this site to check prices.

Selection Process
Games can be nominated starting one day after the post for a month's pick
goes live (eg: if a game is posted on March 4, nominations open on March 5).

The first five games suggested after nominations open that have not yet been played,
and were not nominated the month before will be added to the list and will be voted on.

So be sure to come in early to nominate your favorites!

Five days after the nominations open, or when we reach five nominations (whichever
comes first) the nominations are tallied in the following manner:
The list of nominees are checked for infringements of the above
guidelines, and any not meeting the requirements are removed.
The voting list will be shuffled for each member voting.
Voting will take place until the 20th day of the month, at which point the poll will
close and the votes will be tallied.
The winner will be announced as soon as the tally is counted so that members
will have time to pick up the winning game.

Previous months:
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015

Wow, sweet. I wondered why there was talk about Wrecking Crew since it lost, but I forgot it was a tie. My work load falls off significantly after mid May so I'll definitely be back on the NES train in a few weeks!

OnPoint

Sweet Radar, it'll be good to have you back and participating!

Just a reminder to everyone: Nominations for voting open tomorrow. So get your games ready to suggest and we can get back to voting proper once we get our five nominees.

Sweet Radar, it'll be good to have you back and participating!

Just a reminder to everyone: Nominations for voting open tomorrow. So get your games ready to suggest and we can get back to voting proper once we get our five nominees.

I nominate Conquest of the Crystal Palace

-KRS-

Sweet, a game I don't have yet! This is the first pick for Game Club I didn't already have in my collection. Haven't bought (or played, even) anything recently since I've been swamped with school work. Now I have an excuse to get a new game. :D

I don't have much experience with Wrecking Crew, other than the Game Center CX episode.

Yeah that was confusing to me as well when I got it. Really odd.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Thoughts on Kid Kool? Picked it up for cheap at the local retro store, never played it but I did like Clash at Demonhead (the only other game I know from Vic Tokai).

Thoughts on Kid Kool? Picked it up for cheap at the local retro store, never played it but I did like Clash at Demonhead (the only other game I know from Vic Tokai).
Isn't that the game that's basically the same as Psycho Fox and Decap Attack on Sega consoles?

is clash at demonhead eligible?

I remember playing the shit out of that as a kid and having no idea what I was doing or where I was going. Then I couldn't even remember the name of the game when I was older and wanted to play it again and every time I tried to describe it to someone they thought I was talking about Faxanadu.

/blog

Isn't that the game that's basically the same as Psycho Fox and Decap Attack on Sega consoles?

Same developer and basic gameplay, different graphics, characters, etc. each time. For some reason Psycho Fox is my favorite of them, though they're all kind of bad due to the not-great mechanics. I don't like how short-range your attack is, and the jumping puzzles can be quite frustrating at times...

OnPoint

Let's open voting for the month. Suggest your games! Remember: $30 or less in price. If you're unsure about what a game costs, use this website to check it.

So far our nominations are:

1. Conquest of the Crystal Palace
  2. Clash at Demonhead
  3. Little Mermaid
  4. ???
  5. ???

ultimos

Neo Member
How about Punch-Out!!/Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!

Not exactly an unknown classic, but one certainly worth another play through or two.

Top Bottom