• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

AmyS

Hey, I was wondering if the following info from Electronic Gaming Monthly on the NES Nobunaga's Ambition II cartridge was accurate.

3 megabit cart, MMC5 chip plus 128k RAM.

QSrD9x1.jpg

Z899owk.jpg

From EGM issues #18 and #19 - January, February 1991, respectively.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

OnPoint

What were the nominees?

There were none... lol It's feeling like there's less interest in the Club Picks lately. Record low in terms of posts this month concerning our pick. I'll admit I gave the game a pretty fair shot... and it's just kind of not for me. Too bad, too, could be a classic if the controls were better.

In light of the lack of nominees, though, I figured I'd just spool up Wrecking Crew since it tied this month's winner.

Teknoman

There were none... lol It's feeling like there's less interest in the Club Picks lately. Record low in terms of posts this month concerning our pick. I'll admit I gave the game a pretty fair shot... and it's just kind of not for me. Too bad, too, could be a classic if the controls were better.

In light of the lack of nominees, though, I figured I'd just spool up Wrecking Crew since it tied this month's winner.

I guess it was just the array of games then, but yeah that'd only be fair since it tied.

You'd think it would get more traffic since this is the one appreciation thread still in gaming :p

OnPoint

I guess it was just the array of games then, but yeah that'd only be fair since it tied.

You'd think it would get more traffic since this is the one appreciation thread still in gaming :p

I feel like the traffic is here, just people aren't really participating in the Club stuff as much as they were at first. I guess it's a pain in the butt to have to buy a new game every month (though that's why we try to focus on the cheap stuff), but even voting was down during the last time. I think what's really hurting is the big name games are all getting kind of pricey. Maybe we need to forego voting one month and pick one everyone has access to after Wrecking Crew and just kind of go with it and kind of revitalize things. Like Super Mario Bros 2, or Contra.

I feel like the traffic is here, just people aren't really participating in the Club stuff as much as they were at first. I guess it's a pain in the butt to have to buy a new game every month (though that's why we try to focus on the cheap stuff), but even voting was down during the last time. I think what's really hurting is the big name games are all getting kind of pricey. Maybe we need to forego voting one month and pick one everyone has access to after Wrecking Crew and just kind of go with it and kind of revitalize things. Like Super Mario Bros 2, or Contra.

Aha..actually, I need to go buy Wrecking Crew..

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I tried Street FIghter a bit, but just couldnt get into it. I also kinda disliked Guardian Legend, and during Shatterhand i was waiting for cables, so yeah, Ive at least given two of the last three games a chance, and want to continue participating. Although my current Dark Souls 2-regime is making it hard to prioritize other games :)

OnPoint

I tried Street FIghter a bit, but just couldnt get into it. I also kinda disliked Guardian Legend, and during Shatterhand i was waiting for cables, so yeah, Ive at least given two of the last three games a chance, and want to continue participating. Although my current Dark Souls 2-regime is making it hard to prioritize other games :)
I'm not trying to lay blame on anyone in particular. It's just the mood in here lately in general. I also wasn't too fond of the previous two picks (and 2010 was mine lol) but we should discuss why we don't like them as well. I am as guilty of claiming up as any.

Morfeo

I'm not trying to lay blame on anyone in particular. It's just the mood in here lately in general. I also wasn't too fond of the previous two picks (and 2010 was mine lol) but we should discuss why we don't like them as well. I am as guilty of claiming up as any.

I know, just explaining why I havent participated much, and that I am all for continuing this :) If its Wrecking Crew next month, I need to buy it though, but guess that shouldnt be too expensive.

Same. School, babies, work and lots of stress tied to that have kept me quiet this past month.

shanafan

I'll let you know when I get it! I am excited to try it out. Images showed Wii U pro controller, DS4, DS3, etc on the NES.

For $25 shipped, I think it will be fun to play around with.

Morfeo

I'll let you know when I get it! I am excited to try it out. Images showed Wii U pro controller, DS4, DS3, etc on the NES.

For $25 shipped, I think it will be fun to play around with.

For sure, looking forward to your impressions!

I've been looking at Game Stop's retro store and finally bit the bullet for that NES retro bundle they've been advertising. I used some coupons and my power up rewards card to get Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Zelda 2, and Tetris for about $34.00 in all.
If the labels are in anyway messed up when I receive them than I'll be using that return label ASAP.

Guess I'll find out tomorrow when it ships. Kinda looking forward to trying out Zelda 2 despite it's reputation. I've already played Punch Out a lot on the VC, but I swear there has to be some lag messing up my timing since I can't ever get passed Soda Popinski on my HDTV.

dubc35

I've been looking at Game Stop's retro store and finally bit the bullet for that NES retro bundle they've been advertising. I used some coupons and my power up rewards card to get Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Zelda 2, and Tetris for about $34.00 in all.
If the labels are in anyway messed up when I receive them than I'll be using that return label ASAP.

Guess I'll find out tomorrow when it ships. Kinda looking forward to trying out Zelda 2 despite it's reputation. I've already played Punch Out a lot on the VC, but I swear there has to be some lag messing up my timing since I can't ever get passed Soda Popinski on my HDTV.

Nice deal!

I hesitantly bought a couple NES games from Gamestop online and they arrived in pretty good shape. The pins needed a little cleaning but I was planning on cleaning them anyway so no big deal (alcohol/q-tip only; didn't need to disassemble).

Morfeo

Punch Out is really hard , and I found it almost impossible to get anywhere on the Virtual Console. Think I got to Bald Bull for the second time once, so yeah, its hard.

Zelda 2 is a good game. It's a brutally hard game, and it can be obtuse as shit at points, though those dungeons are pretty nice.

That's par the course for so many NES games, so that's no problem for me. I always do like a good challenge.

Punch Out is really hard , and I found it almost impossible to get anywhere on the Virtual Console. Think I got to Bald Bull for the second time once, so yeah, its hard.
I think the farthest I ever got on the VC was Mr. Sandman, and that was on a different TV. I'll be sure to see if I do any better tomorrow.

b3b0p

I haven't played the VC version. I'm very saddened to hear this. Expected I guess.

Huggers

I have an RGB modded Famicom AV for sale if anyone's after one? I seem to remember a short while back someone in here was. I'm UK based but haply to send it wherever

dcx4610

I'm LTTP but I've been watching some Ninja Gaiden speed runs lately and was blown away.

One, I had no idea the spin slash could one hit kill the bosses. I also didn't know you could still regular jump slash while having the spin.

There were also other little things like the turbo slash and wall clipping to get over some hard jumps.

It's pretty crazy and also a little sad to watch a game you've played for 20 years and then see all of these tricks and cheats. Anyone else had any similar experiences and games kinda ruined for you?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Zelda 2 is a good game. It's a brutally hard game, and it can be obtuse as shit at points, though those dungeons are pretty nice.
I revisited it this year, after not understanding it at all when it first came out. Now that i get what kind of game it is, and now that I see the influence it had on things like the Souls series, I really do like it a lot now. It sometimes really can feel like an 8-bit Souls game at times.

Rich!

Any news on the retrousb NES console?

I'm eager to get into physical NES game collecting, but the retrousb console will be a far cheaper way of doing it - and due to the design, it'll be near 100% accurate to the real thing.

Morfeo

Zelda 2 is legit great, one of the top 3 games on the original Nes imo. Never got the difficulty complains, there is one small roadblock kinda early,but after that, the game is a piece of cake mostly. Also, the possibility of grinding makes everything possible. Great and deep combat, huge and epic-feeling overworld, interesting and fun dungeons, cool secrets, what more can you ask for in an 8-bit game really?

Look at what just came in from Gamestop today.

13102832_471586633035943_365291151549966251_n.jpg

The good news in the carts are in great condition with the labels and such. I can hear something rolling around in the Mike Tyson cart so looks like I'm gonna have to open it up with my game bit.

I got plenty of cleaning stuff so it shouldn't be too hard to fix the contacts and stuff.

Can't really blame you there since most of the stuff on their store isn't worth it, and is overpriced. The bundles they have are really the only thing worth buying there if you got coupons and power up rewards which is what I did.

I am impressed with the Zelda 2 cart though, it looks almost brand new especially compared to the conditions I've seen a lot of those gold carts in.

dcx4610

Any news on the retrousb NES console?

I'm eager to get into physical NES game collecting, but the retrousb console will be a far cheaper way of doing it - and due to the design, it'll be near 100% accurate to the real thing.

The word is May in limited quantities. I can't wait. Bunny Boy has been showing off just how crazy the compatibility and accuracy is recently. It will definitely take the place of my non-modded AV Fami when it comes out. Price point is expected to be under $200 which I think is fair.

I guess the Wii/Wii U version of Punch Out does have pretty bad lag on HDTV's.

I just destroyed Soda without even getting hit, while those upper cuts are almost impossible to dodge on the Wii Virtual Console version.

OnPoint

Played a bunch of Burai Fighter today and... it's shockingly a cool game. I hope we eventually play that in the club. It's better than Shit Fest 2010, that's for sure.

I have an RGB modded Famicom AV for sale if anyone's after one? I seem to remember a short while back someone in here was. I'm UK based but haply to send it wherever

God dang it... I'm interested but not immediately able.

Since getting back into NES collecting/gaming, I've been making sure the games I've bought/had years ago are still working correctly (which is a simple process I've been putting off, for reasons such playing a few of the select games I loved and recently bought, plus not having a tiny enough screwdriver for the ones that actually use screws in order to clean the cartridges).

Anyway, after a quick clean, I put in Metal Gear last night, which I probably have not touched in approximately ten years. It appears to be working perfectly, but I was really confused on the second screen, when the infamous "I Feel Asleep" text appears, except it didn't say "I Feel Asleep", but "I'm Getting Sleepy!".

Now, I briefly looked up a longplay of the game to see if it appears there too (it does), and then to confirm that I didn't travel to a parallel universe, I look at screenshots to see if that is in fact the "I feel asleep" screen.

Does anyone know how this difference occurred? Is it based on certain cartridges of the game, and I've been misremembering all this time what the quote on my version is? Can hardware play a factor into it? I have changed my pin connector since the last time I played it, and I remember a Metroid speedrun at AGDQ where the runner was complaining that the cycles in the game were different on that NES than the one that he practices on, and that always kind of stuck out to me. Am I just crazy or actually traveling through parallel universes?

Morfeo

Since getting back into NES collecting/gaming, I've been making sure the games I've bought/had years ago are still working correctly (which is a simple process I've been putting off, for reasons such playing a few of the select games I loved and recently bought, plus not having a tiny enough screwdriver for the ones that actually use screws in order to clean the cartridges).

Anyway, after a quick clean, I put in Metal Gear last night, which I probably have not touched in approximately ten years. It appears to be working perfectly, but I was really confused on the second screen, when the infamous "I Feel Asleep" text appears, except it didn't say "I Feel Asleep", but "I'm Getting Sleepy!".

Now, I briefly looked up a longplay of the game to see if it appears there too (it does), and then to confirm that I didn't travel to a parallel universe, I look at screenshots to see if that is in fact the "I feel asleep" screen.

Does anyone know how this difference occurred? Is it based on certain cartridges of the game, and I've been misremembering all this time what the quote on my version is? Can hardware play a factor into it? I have changed my pin connector since the last time I played it, and I remember a Metroid speedrun at AGDQ where the runner was complaining that the cycles in the game were different on that NES than the one that he practices on, and that always kind of stuck out to me. Am I just crazy or actually traveling through parallel universes?

I think the answer is that the guy is saying both things. One means he is soon falling asleep, the other means he is now asleep. Try to stay there for a while and see, or enter and reenter the screen a few times to see if there is a difference.

Bah, that does ring a bell. Thanks.

But is there any truth to the idea that different individual NESs can provide different behavior in games?

Top Bottom