• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2016 [Sony, MS, & Nintendo refuse to comment on hardware]

prwxv3

How can you possible make this comment, did you see the "The division" sales that were posted a couple pages back? Heck even Bops 3 got a good number. Then of course, if you want to attract NEW USERS which is the whole point of the bundles primarily that QB was putting out, a $40 game on a competing console is indeed a thread, even if it's not that significant.

If you said that Ratchet would have outsold QB a few months ago you would have been laughed at. This is a slow month, QB that had a big advertising budget and presence at trade shows ect has no excuse for not breaking at least 250k.

QB isn't totally bust, although a no. 7/<200K showing in a down hardware month isn't great... next month if it can hang on or it drops out of the top 10 will probably be the final word on it though. Shame, but them's the breaks. The live-action hybrid storytelling probably repelled more people than it attracted.
Not much chance it charts again.

I've been wanting to ask for a while but didn't know how to frame:

How does MS quantify this as the Best Lineup In Xbox History?

Meta, Sales, Hype? Because just from memory, its seems like there were times in the 360 years where all three of those were MUCH higher. Critics were wowed, Sales were record-breaking and everyone was HAF. Since its in its flyers and commercials, could MS get in trouble for false advertisement?

If you said that Ratchet would have outsold QB a few months ago you would have been laughed at. This is a slow month, QB that had a big advertising budget and presence at trade shows ect has no excuse for not breaking at least 250k.

Has nothing to do with outsell, the point was it was a thread even if it sold less because COD bundle, which is PS4, along with a $40 game is a thread to a new Ip trying to move Xbox Ones.

Just like Darksouls 3 not only can be the same threat since that series focuses more on PS4 in sales, but also within it's own platform as well.

Add in some left overs from The Division and it pretty much a gang-up.

Meta, Sales, Hype? Because just from memory, its seems like there were times in the 360 years where all three of those classification were MUCH higher.
That was always just a marketing stunt. It worked for console war talk I suppose.

demigod

Has nothing to do with outsell, the point was it was a thread even if it sold less because COD bundle, which is PS4, along with a $40 game is a thread to a new Ip trying to move Xbox Ones.

Just like Darksouls 3 not only can be the same threat since that series focuses more on PS4 in sales, but also within it's own platform as well.

Stop while you still can!

Stanng243

Did you see we've had at least one retail worker say the bundles were basically dead?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ah, right.

Quantum Break joins the much-bigger-than-expected group of major console exclusives that couldn't beat, in their first month, the one and only

d3RohlW.jpg

sense

How can you possible make this comment, did you see the "The division" sales that were posted a couple pages back? Heck even Bops 3 got a good number. Then of course, if you want to attract NEW USERS which is the whole point of the bundles primarily that QB was putting out, a $40 game on a competing console is indeed a thread, even if it's not that significant.

Did you look bad to the sales that were posted a page back? That month old game has legs. Not only that COD got a boost, COD has a bundle, and a $40 game may go good with a COD bundled on the competitions console over MS using a new IP to get new users.

i don't understand what exactly you are trying to say? do you agree that the game did bad considering it had a bundle and good marketing push and has been touted as the big exclusive since the launch of xbox one? the point is quantum break failed to sell to the existing base and failed to entice new buyers. the "threats" you posted aren't strong enough to validate an abysmal performance of the game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Generally in today's market, you need to be releasing best in class software, or notably unique software, and Quantum Break is neither of those.

It also helps to be in tune with where the market is, or where it's heading, and your value proposition is going to be scrutinized pretty heavily.

I feel the core difference between Ratchet and Quantum Break is that Ratchet is one of the only high quality 3D platformers we've got in ages and it was being sold at an affordable price.

Quantum Break is one of quite a few cinematic shooters - following a sea of them last generation - it's not a great value proposition for $60, and it's not a 90+ Metacritic genre titan like Uncharted 4, which is coming out only a month or so later.

First parties tend to be some of the last Western publishers to let go of smaller projects like this, so I'm not surprised that Microsoft has a lot of low performing entries this generation. Similarly, Infamous, Killzone, Knack, and The Order weren't exactly blowing the roof off the industry, and Nintendo has had a variety of misses as well.

cakely

Aaron Greenberg said:
It’s been great. Preorders are really strong; they’re performing well ahead of plan. Retailers are continuing to increase their orders for the game, which we track and watch. Tomorrow [April 1], the reviews hit, so we’ll see how they come in. We’ve been playing the game; we know it’s a great game. Fingers crossed, but I think we’re sitting on a mega hit.

And now we know how Mr. Greenberg defines "mega hit": 150,000 units sold at launch.

I think this might be the year of the mega hit!

The only "Threat" to Quantum break was itself and the system it was on. It basically had the whole month. Hell if I wanna try and talk about "threat's" dark souls 3 was more of a threat to ratchet and clank if anything otherwise no Quantum failed on its own terms

CoG

Got to be tough for MS coming off of last gen where nearly every 360 exclusive was guaranteed to hit 1M in short time, compared to today where bluechip franchises like Halo are not performing anywhere as well as they used to and new IPs like Quantum Break and SSOD falling flat.

Question is, was the 360 a fluke or did they really screw the brand with the Xbox One launch?

Got to be tough for MS coming off of last gen where nearly every 360 exclusive was guaranteed to hit 1M in short time, compared to today where bluechip franchises like Halo are not performing anywhere as well as they used to and new IPs like Quantum Break and SSOD falling flat.

Question is, was the 360 a fluke or did they really screw the brand with the Xbox One launch?
Nah 360 was legit until about 2010, thing is Sony screwed up that gen and didn't really take off until 2009, add in that Microsoft didn't expand their market and still to this day heavily rely on Us, their Xbox one launch disaster, not expanding their first party endeavors and Sony being on their A game.

Nah 360 was legit until about 2010, thing is Sony screwed up that gen and didn't really take off until 2009, add in that Microsoft didn't expand their market and still to this day heavily rely on Us, their Xbox one launch disaster, not expanding their first party endeavors and Sony being on their A game.
Only in that they didnt capitalise on the PS2 success, otherwise they performed better than the 360 did when launch aligned.

I think at this point, it's just important for Microsoft to build up its software portfolio and check boxes - regardless of whether the resulting games are massively profitable or not - until they can do a soft reboot with the release of Xbox 1.5.

Soft reboot? Reboot of what? Again, sales reception of MS software IP is basically a symptom of the audience they have exclusively focused on cultivating this generation. Games in very similar genres are releasing on rival platforms & doing well. If MS does not begin in making honest attempts at broadening the market appeal of the Xbox, then the results will never change. The reason these games did better last generation was specifically because for many years, Xbox had siphoned a segment of audience that was originally Sony's.

You will see some of their software offerings, and their hardware sales, fare far better when MS begins to take their WW market appeal far more seriously than they currently do.

Bioshocker

I didn't mean it like that. Just that MS might not want to take the risk again if it sells like crap. I can't imagine MS are too happy funding a game that took 4? years to come out and not sell much and have the game get mediocre reviews. Saying that, I don't think Remedy is perfect here either, after all, the game is a 77 metacritic which couldn't have helped sales. I really liked the game mind you and think it deserved higher, I just don't think they are free from any criticism either. The 77 metacritic is on them.

Yes, absolutely. And I think that Metacritic score is fair (Quantum Break is a 7/10 for me, and I love Alan Wake). But it might have done better on PS4. Like I said: nothing does well on Xbox One. Except GTA V, Call of Duty and a few other big multi plats.

Halo 5 had it's own issues unrelated to all other games (MCC, Halo 4, 343). If MCC wasn't broken I think Halo 5 would have done much more. Broken games hurt franchises, just like AC Unity did. ROTR did 1M in 2015 that's not bad IMO considering the situation (xbox one & release date), much better than NPD and Pal charts made out to be at least.

From where I'm sitting MS is "done" this generation, and I think they know it too and just riding it out but not completely dropping it either. As I said few pages back IMO their biggest mistake was going forza/halo/gears route at the end of the 360 instead of banking on new IP's and building franchises while they had the fanbase and the games had a higher chance of success because of that.

I agree. They're done. They tripped on their own feet before launch and they never recovered. I came to that conclusion last holiday when Halo 5 didn't help much and Rise of the Tomb Raider did absolutely nothing for Xbox One sales (Fallout 4 and CoD killed it). For me, Rise deserved better. I'm not sure Halo 5 and Quantum Break did, though.

Oh so, Ratchet is a threat now? From the moment it was announced, nobody expected it to do this good.

If you had said Ratchet will outsell Quantum Break on GAF before yesterday, people would have laughed you out of the thread. Revisionist history and spin is strong up in here.

Welfare

Caught up with the thread.

Quantum Break fucking bombed!

Like where do you even go from there? An Alan Wake 2 or QB2 will flop in the current market, so what can Remedy do?

Asd202

QB sold less than The Order even with bundles.

I'm not surprised when Matt said that Xbone is catastrophe at MS.

That's why I think Xbone upgrade a la PS4K may not be happening and they'll go straight to Xbox Two in 2018. Xbox One name is already tarnished.

hawk2025

Like where do you even go from there? An Alan Wake 2 or QB2 will flop in the current market, so what can Remedy do?

Releasing games on Steam seems like an obvious first step.

If they have to find someone else to fund their games to make that possible, so be it.

CoG

If you had said Ratchet will outsell Quantum Break on GAF before yesterday, people would have laughed you out of the thread. Revisionist history and spin is strong up in here.

Writing was on the wall. R&C had a lower price, was better reviewed, and tracked much higher on Amazon for the year/month.

Asd202

2018? They won't survive that long.

2017 is too soon I feel there won't be a huge leap from PS4K. Also 4 year would be lower than Nintendo game for Wii U lol.

Just so that we can see the scale:

So, does the software charts include the bundle numbers? I'm thinking not, because CoD would be way higher with them included.

What this tells us:

R&C > 185k and <504k
QB > 105k and <175k, but since that 175k includes bundle, it's probably lower than that, perhaps between 105k and 150k.

So SF0 could be below 100K if Cod is at 105K?

Garlador

That's why I think Xbone upgrade a la PS4K may not be happening and they'll go straight to Xbox Two in 2018. Xbox One name is already tarnished.

E3 2013 is still unthinkable. I STILL can't believe just how historically awful the Xbox One unveiling was.

Business classes will be studying it for years and decades to come. Even now, years later, after backpedaling on almost EVERYTHING the Xbox One stood for and giving players almost EVERYTHING they wanted (lower price, no Kinect, backwards compatibility, tons of free games, new IPs, etc.), it's never been enough to overcome that botched unveiling.

That one moment still resonates years and years later and MS is still dealing with the repercussions. I don't imagine we'll ever see anything quite like it again for a good long while.

Yeah, thats gonna be a really hard sell to the consumer base. Starting up a new generation is not going to fix MS' biggest problem - the lack of audience diversity on their platform, and the lack of WW market appeal of the Xbox brand. They need to fix these two things, and neither of these have to do with the console & the hardware it contains, and everything to do with marketing & PR.

sense

i think they will sell it like a windows 10 box and not call it xbox 2 so as to differentiate themselves from the backlash and still be able to sell a higher powered box as early as 2017

Apathy

E3 2013 is still unthinkable. I STILL can't believe just how historically awful the Xbox One unveiling was.

Business classes will be studying it for years and decades to come. Even now, years later, after backpedaling on almost EVERYTHING the Xbox One stood for and giving players almost EVERYTHING they wanted (lower price, no Kinect, backwards compatibility, tons of free games, new IPs, etc.), it's never been enough to overcome that botched unveiling.

That one moment still resonates years and years later and MS is still dealing with the repercussions. I don't imagine we'll ever see anything quite like it again for a good long while.

The original unveiling was hot garbage. TV, NFL, and that's it. Nice. You could have told people it was just a set top box and it would have been more believable than it actually being the unveiling of a console

What a weird thread this one's been.

So May presents a real easy HW comp month for both boxes.

Software has the launch of The Witcher 3 as the comp and month 2 of MKX, but other than that it was mostly older titles in the top 10.

When May comes around, and if both HW and SW on Sony/MS show year on year growth, are we going to get more of the "but GAF said consoles were dead?" and "consoles alive" and "everyone's doing well, I don't get the doom and gloom?" nonsense? Tiring.

I don't EVER get the doom and gloom. I apologize for my nonsensical thought pattern :p

EDIT: I'm exhausted and I can't tell if this is snark or not. Forgive me ;)

Bioshocker

Meta, Sales, Hype? Because just from memory, its seems like there were times in the 360 years where all three of those were MUCH higher. Critics were wowed, Sales were record-breaking and everyone was HAF. Since its in its flyers and commercials, could MS get in trouble for false advertisement?

Beats me. After two and a half years as an Xbox 360 owner I had played BioShock, Condemned, Halo 3, Assassin's Creed, Project Gotham Racing 3, Gears of War, Dead Rising, Crackdown... New IPs, new fresh experiences. It felt "next gen". It was an amazing time to be a gamer.

Xbox One isn't terrible, but it lacks an identity. So far I have only really enjoyed Rise of the Tomb Raider. That was a great game (although not without flaws). But Xbox 360 from 2005 to 2010 was a truly great console with so much variety. The games for Xbox One so far have not been close to match what the 360 offered in my opinion.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Hey, very interesting Fact from This month!

The Division XBO > The Division PS4, if we include Bundle.

~91,000 on Xbox one. ~84,000 on PS4.

Guess MS will be the judge of that.

And concerning all the malice Greenberg gets right now, I, too, thought that QB had the potential to become a great new IP, both review- and sales-wise. I was wrong.

Welfare

Hey, very interesting Fact from This month!

The Division XBO > The Division PS4, if we include Bundle.

~91,000 on Xbox one. ~84,000 on PS4.

Not asking you in particular, but what's the usual MoM drop for a large March release going into April? A ~90% MoM drop looks terrible.

Top Bottom