• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – The Fifth and Final Season |OT| "Thank you for creating me."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did we ever
"think Control was dead" though? The way it all happened made it seem pretty clear that, wherever she is, she's still alive at least. So I don't think she'd be relevant to Plageman's hint.

The more I think about it, the more it looks intentionally designed as the end of her arc. Sure, Control is still alive when the Samaritan soldiers lead her out of the room, but where is she going? Where she belongs. A hole so dark and deep, nobody will ever see her again. It's the end she deserves.

That and
Elias is alive, in a twist a lot of people admittedly saw coming. How many people targeted in The Correction are we supposed to expect to see again? These people were supposed to die. Seems a little silly if they keep turning up again. There are less than ten episodes to go, and I have the feeling all the pieces are pretty much on the board at this point.

I always holding out hope as a fan, because Control is my favorite villain, but looking back at the plot threads over S4 and the show as a whole, this makes the most sense. Elias is an integral part of the DNA here - the show is ending where it began, in a bit of a reversal - whereas, thematically, I feel the book has been appropriately closed on Control.

News Bot

Banned
In it's place, we now have a plotline that's a little too much sci fi, VR Brainwashing, which cannot be taking place in realtime. If each event lasted a day, 6471 events would take 17+ years.

The simulations are not realtime. Do you think the simulations in If-Then-Else were realtime? They take place in milliseconds. That was the capacity of The Machine, now we're seeing Samaritan's.

The only thing that sets Shaw's simulations apart is that she's being made to view each simulation and interact with them with a VR system inspired by Nolan's experience with the HTC Vive. Take that concept and apply Samaritan's next generation artificial intelligence with limitless technological and financial resources, and it's really not unbelievable.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Samaritan would have to come up with some way to get human anatomy to accept a sped up version of "reality." Is it possible that a person could be fooled into thinking a day/night cycle lasts minutes. Nevermind having only eyewear VR in use. What it's implying is: It's created the Matrix, and Shaw's patient zero.

Sonicbug

Samaritan would have to come up with some way to get human anatomy to accept a sped up version of "reality." Is it possible that a person could be fooled into thinking a day/night cycle lasts minutes.

Sure, in a dream state. You can have a dream that lasts 10 minutes that seems to last hours. Heck, the whole episode was basically Shaw dreaming. Events didn't quit make sense to the reality of the show, but to Shaw's head. It also explains the lack of inhibition.

Geist-

Sölf;203987880 said:
This. Fucking. Show.

Tell me again, why won't we get more seasons of THIS?! D:
I'd rather end it on a high note than see it jump the shark because of too many seasons. This is probably the greatest show about artificial intelligence ever made, ending it with a battle of the gods seems like the perfect ending.

On a side-note, I love how every episode is showing the continuing descent into a dystopia.
I'm always surprised when they remind us that Fusco doesn't know the truth. I can't believe they kept this secret for 5 seasons.

Something I found interesting about Monday's episode is that Shaw kept saying to not reveal any info she always goes to her happy place with Root. It's funny in the simulation with Samaritan she goes to her happy place with Root and has yet to reveal their base of operations.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'd rather end it on a high note than see it jump the shark because of too many seasons. This is probably the greatest show about artificial intelligence ever made, ending it with a battle of the gods seems like the perfect ending.

On a side-note, I love how every episode is showing the continuing descent into a dystopia.
I'm always surprised when they remind us that Fusco doesn't know the truth. I can't believe they kept this secret for 5 seasons.

Yeah, it's pretty interesting. S4 felt more like a conciliation of Samaritan's power. S5 feels like it's finally stretching its legs into more direct manipulation and observation of humanity.

tirminyl

I think Nolan has stated that be planned a storyline expanding 7 seasons. With that said, if it goes out on a high note, then that is all I can ask for.

This episode was simply amazing! This show. I continue to be impressed and have been since episode 1.

RS4-

Great episode, still not looking forward to the series ending.

Fusco needs to know, I'm worried that he's just going to end up dying. But probably in a great way instead of some jobber level shit as seen on other shows.

xrnzaaas

It was great to see a friendly face again in this episode and the rest was good as well. I really hope that Fusco won't end up dying, because he's one of my favorite characters on the show.

Lonestar

I've seen a promo that implied that next week has 3 episodes. 1 Monday, and back to back on Tuesday (starting at 9/8)

Doorman

it does have 3 episodes

then 2 the week after

then 1 the next 3 weeks

dat CBS scheduling.

Out of all the major characters on the show, if Fusco is the only one left standing by the end, I'll be satisfied. It's always felt since season 1 like he's been the most overlooked element of the team except for the occasional save in mostly one-off episodes, so I really hope that he continues with his own personal investigation and winds up pulling out something really amazing. I want badly for the show to prove that this story won't get resolved without him after everything he's been put through.

Sober

So if you wanted to main story to start moving, I guess last night's episode sure did it.

Here are my thoughts on it, but basically this seems to really kick-start a lot of the moving parts now, especially with Fusco moving into his own thing, and lots of setbacks for everyone that they need to plan to recover from. Samaritan is still like an enigma for everyone, the viewer included.

Next week is gonna destroy me cause I plan on reviewing the episodes, 3 episodes in a week on top of having day-long classes, RIP me.

Lonestar

I did like they left the episode on the audio equipment. I wondered if it was a piece of technology heavily pushed by Samaritan, to further be able to pinpoint Team Machine. As a way to get more "ear's" out there, to pick up any of the key words it should know by now (The Machine, Reese, Finch, Root, Shaw, Kneecaps).

While accidentally learning about Elias from future promo pictures, didn't exactly know he was going to be in the safehouse. Should have, when 2 things happened when Finch first got to room: Bear immediately scampers offscreen with a little happy whine (Bear likes Mob Bosses, who knew) and Finch inspecting that cup of "tea?". If there's no one there, no reason to pick up a prop in the room that has no meaning.

I like that they hinted that perhaps it may not be the best idea to assume everything Samaritan does is inherently bad, with Finch debating what purpose burying the agricultural findings has. I hope they expand on that a bit more throughout the season. Samaritan is ultimately the big bad, but given it's purpose, it's overly simplistic to represent everything it does as evil.

The one thing I didn't get about the Shaw episode was wasn't she shown driving a car last season? Or am I misremembering something?

I like that they hinted that perhaps it may not be the best idea to assume everything Samaritan does is inherently bad, with Finch debating what purpose burying the agricultural findings has. I hope they expand on that a bit more throughout the season. Samaritan is ultimately the big bad, but given it's purpose, it's overly simplistic to represent everything it does as evil.

Samaritan has been shown to represent the extreme end of 'the ends justifying the means' ; Samaritan would have no problem outright murdering 100,000 people to have a better chance at feeding 2 billion people.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
In terms of the research, I love how the writers are tackling the "what was Samaritan reasoning for this?" topic, which highlights one big problem of ASI's, which is when you give the command to solve world hunger. You never told the parameters for completing the instruction, so the easiest way the ASI found for ending world hunger is to kill everyone who's in hunger.

Maybe that was Samaritan reasoning, maybe Samaritan wanted to control the information in order to prevent a demographic explosion in places that are full of hunger, which could lead to "inefficiencies" for its grand plan.

EDIT: Great analysis of the episode, Sober, I like the end part specially:

Root wants Finch to program more defensive (if not aggressive) code into her god, but Finch wonders if that’s the case, if it is not up to the Machine instead. This is his child, a product and reflection of him; which means that for the Machine to change, we’ll probably have to see Finch change. If that’s the case, I hope to expect more scenes between Finch and the Machine as they both work through this conundrum that they face.

I think this will be a case. Finch has been very adamant about not wanting to learn how to use a weapon ("When the time comes for me to pick up a firearm, then all will be truly lost"), which I think will be his pivot of change.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Finally caught up. Thought the Shaw episode was quite good, and it was awesome seeing Elias again. Will be interesting to see how he's utilized going forward. Seems like Fusco is heading into some big time trouble, hope they don't end up regretting keeping him in the dark.

Sober

So unless you've been living under a goddamn rock, there's 3 episodes this week. One on Monday, and two on Tuesday. Cause CBS.

"A More Perfect Union"

Reese and Finch are sent to a wedding to protect a pair of POIs; Fusco takes it upon himself to investigate a series of missing person reports.

Nobility

Banned
POI overload.

I think this timeline ends with me incapacitated by Tuesday night.

All we can do now is wait for events to unfold...

I rewatched the episodes leading up to this week. (I don't know if I'm ready for three episodes this week. I don't know if my heart can take it.)

I enjoyed 6471 more on a second viewing though I still have my reservations with it (namely the fact that the twist exists at all, not a fan of that story structure, and "you were my safe place" did not work for me... I saw that scene coming a mile away after the earlier bit with Root and Shaw in bed, cringed through it). For the most part, though, I am glad the show took the time to deal with these themes, and as far as "it was all a dream" variations go, this one was expertly executed. There's so much to appreciate on a second viewing, from the suddenly obvious absence of Fusco, the amazingly dry line readings from Emerson (his reaction to John's death made me burst out laughing), or just the way Reese and Finch always stand as perfectly still as possible in the background of every shot... but the best thing I caught on second viewing is how Shaw, upon waking back in the safety of Team Machine's protection... is on the goddamn subway. So many great background details like that, toying with reality and Shaw's subconscious and so on. (I think the one big detail that tipped me on first viewing was Root being the first person to appear in response to a number, and her apartment; it makes sense that the simulation is working Shaw like this to get information, but that's a significant break from the DNA of the show).

It also makes sense that they wanted this one to air as episode 4. Watching the first five episodes more or less back to back helps clarify what the writers are doing here, and certainly helped me appreciate 6741 more in context. The show is taking time (frustrating as it is for some viewers, myself included haha) to take stock of the characters, who they are, what they have gone through, and what they need to do to fight Samaritan. It's a great way to set up the final fight and give each character their proper due (I really can't tell who is going to die by the end, other than still thinking Reese will sacrifice himself, or is at least prepared for that). We got an episode dealing with Finch and Root and their past, forcing them to confront some hard truths in their fight against Samaritan. We got an episode about Reese and his hero complex, and while it treads familiar ground, it once again does the work of tying up loose ends (breaking things off with Iris) as Reese emotionally suits up for war (in a scene that blatantly echoes certain first season flashbacks). We also get the episode with Shaw, of course, which is basically a tribute to her strength and mettle but also a rare glimpse at her heart (despite the fan service element of this; I suspect this episode exists largely because Shaw and Root will not have a happy reunion, partly as Shaw will be incapable of expressing what we are able to see in this episode... but again, we will have to wait and see how this episode reverberates throughout the rest of the season).

ShotSeeker, though. Yeah, it really gets the plot moving. Yeah, it was tense and exciting. Yeah, it also had a plot twist and it was a pretty hype moment. But it's also the final piece of the puzzle here, so to speak, as far as giving characters their due. We need to take a moment to appreciate how much ass Fusco was kicking. This was like the Fusco Power Hour. We got to see him be an amazing cop. He saves the number's life at least twice. We got to see him go to bat for his friends, mobilizing the police department to help track down Reese. Fusco was on fire this episode. This isn't just a tribute to the journey Fusco has been on over five seasons, but a tribute to the memory of Joss Carter. It didn't really occur to me much before this episode, but Fusco has become Carter. Her voice of reason. Her moral compass. He's everything he promises he'd be when he arrests Simmons instead of killing him in The Devil's Share. He even gets his recognition from Team Machine at the end.

Unfortunately, he picked up one more thing from Carter: Her righteous tenacity. Fusco has caught a whiff of Samaritan and he's not backing down. There's something rotten in the state of Denmark and he isn't going to stop until he roots it out, even if that means taking things into his own hands (just as Carter did with HR). For the first time, I am genuinely worried about Fusco. After Reese, he's the character who seems most likely to be taken out in this war (even if only owing to his professional proximity to Reese/Riley). Root and Shaw will depend where that plot is even going (too early to tell) and Finch is just a giant question mark (but the one character I had always sort of pegged to survive all of this, even if he pays a hefty cost).

Either way, I have a feeling I'm going to need a lot of whisky to get through this season. I can't see this show ending any other way than heartbreak.

edit - damn that was a long post

Nobility

Banned
As I mentioned previously, along with the POI: Fifth and Final Season Blu-ray/DVD release on July 19, the complete series will also be released on Blu-ray and DVD on the same date.

Does not look like any additional special features, just a rollup of all the episodes in one package.

Amazon.com Pre-Order

GQFwBqi.jpg

Goodstyle

I love how they have Carter included in the complete series box art, I kinda miss seeing her together with everyone.

Also, isn't it crazy how Carter and Root have never spoken a word to each other?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I love how they have Carter included in the complete series box art, I kinda miss seeing her together with everyone.

Also, isn't it crazy how Carter and Root have never spoken a word to each other?

I thought about this, but Root finally started working with the team literally after Carter died haha.

Lonestar

if I remember, she was locked up in the library for an episode or 2, promising to use her connection to the machine to help them out, but Finch didn't want to have a part in that.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
if I remember, she was locked up in the library for an episode or 2, promising to use her connection to the machine to help them out, but Finch didn't want to have a part in that.

Yeah, it wasn't only until The Devil's Share where Finch finally conceded that they needed her.

Goodstyle

Even though I ship Root/Shaw, I truly believe Finch/Root is this show's best pairing (not romantically). These 2 just bounce off each other so well, and their feelings resonate so clearly.

You U.S watchers will see by the end of the episode.

Doorman

I'm just sitting here this whole episode going "please suspect the photographer, please suspect the photographer, please suspect the photographer, please..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom