• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – The Fifth and Final Season |OT| "Thank you for creating me."

Status
Not open for further replies.

KonradLaw

Holy Fuck Fusco

For the Win!

The flashback with Fusco's Devil Thare speech was one of the best things I've seen on TV in years. The whole episode is a pure masterpiece and Fusco himself is one of the best characters in recent years. The journey that dude was was just wow...

Sölf

For anyone looking to start the show, a word of warning. Do not watch any house of cards simultaneously, the amount of actors who had roles on both is crazy.

A friend of mine and me have the theory that everyone who dies in PoI actually just goes undercover and becomes a politician.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Done. I'm spent.

Man... Season 5 sure is a ride isn't it?

I had a friend drop the show after season 1, and I kept telling him he should pick it back up, he never did. He'd love it too, such a shame.

Sooooooo

John and Zoey, are we in agreement that they hooked up a couple of times? I know it was never on screen and this is veering into fanfic territory, but Im doing a rewatch and there is no way they didnt.

Sölf

Sooooooo

John and Zoey, are we in agreement that they hooked up a couple of times? I know it was never on screen and this is veering into fanfic territory, but Im doing a rewatch and there is no way they didnt.

They have too. Zoey was a great character that should have been on screen much more, imo (the same as Leon. Oh god, Leon is the secret best character of the show). So I am sure John and her had at least something going on.

komarkaze

I just finished watching season 5 last night. It was tough avoiding spoilers the past 6 months but I managed to do it. The last episode left me teary-eyed. What an amazing show!
Reese, who do you think you are? Jesus Christ? I wish Root-Shaw could have had a happier ending. Goodbye Cocoa Puffs. (Why does Amy Acker's characters always die before the ending of the shows I like?) I love how Harold proclaimed himself to be the Man Who Sold the World and he unleashed his inner Benjamin Linus towards the end. It was great to finally hear The Machine speak for herself and hear her before her dying moments (before her great victory).

Serpico99

Finally finished the series... loved it. I knew going into the binge watching that it was mainly procedural so I had low expectations and mainly used it as a background noise while I was on on my laptop. However, it quickly grabbed my full attention and I fell in love with the characters. One thing I appreciated is how they portrayed veterans, being one myself it wasn't completely realistic but just enough to hit a nerve for the feels.

I think the show completely won me over with the Season 2 episode 4 ending "Triggerman". Made me feel like Reese reached the John Wick or Bourne level of badass.

personofinterest_reese4.jpg

https://youtu.be/PWj9Ow830uw

I think my only complaint about Season 5 would be how much time Shaw was captured for. A bit more time back with the crew would have been appreciated.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I think my only complaint about Season 5 would be how much time Shaw was captured for. A bit more time back with the crew would have been appreciated.

It's quite unfair how BIG SPOILERS
how the episode she comes back has the biggest feel good moment of the series, and is then followed by what is probably the saddest and hard hitting episode for most characters episode of the series

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
It's quite unfair how BIG SPOILERS
how the episode she comes back has the biggest feel good moment of the series, and is then followed by what is probably the saddest and hard hitting episode for most characters episode of the series

Still,
The majority of her story line is the worst part of the season. The show obvious pushes reality, cause hey, there are A.I's. But I'm not crazy about the level of VR immersion they made her think she was in. Tied down on a bed for months, but she can somehow believe she's walking around and experiences a few thousand simulations? Those simulations better be fast, cause that much time in REAL time, would be waaaay longer than a few months.

Now, I like the general premise of "not being able to kill Root" as a plotpoint, that's a fine way to prove love, etc. Just don't like the VR/Sim part.

Still,
The majority of her story line is the worst part of the season. The show obvious pushes reality, cause hey, there are A.I's. But I'm not crazy about the level of VR immersion they made her think she was in. Tied down on a bed for months, but she can somehow believe she's walking around and experiences a few thousand simulations? Those simulations better be fast, cause that much time in REAL time, would be waaaay longer than a few months.

Now, I like the general premise of "not being able to kill Root" as a plotpoint, that's a fine way to prove love, etc. Just don't like the VR/Sim part.

To be fair I don't think it was 24/7

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Still,

I can't honestly remember, but didn't someone here like calculate by how long the episode was, for how long she was trapped or something?

ty_hot

Dont we dream in super fast times? If I am not mistaken we only 'heavy' dream for a few minutes per night, our dreams 'story' do not happen in 'real time'. So she could be trapped for a much smaller time than those dreams seamed to be. And some of the simulations could have lasted just a few seconds as well, who knows.

btw, I hate it that I dont remember lots of the things that happened in the series, I just know it was awesome and it always made me like :eek:

I dont even know the ending honestly (well, i know in general, but I wish I had memory for specifics).

Bad thing I dont want to spend time watching all those episodes that bring little to none to the actual plot... is there any very good recap of the series to watch on youtube?

ColdPizza

Banned
Just finished. What a great show. One of the few endings of a series I actually enjoyed.

Elias was also so likeable to me. I had a harder time with Root, she was a bit offputting with how pushy she was on Shaw.

Harold going Ben Linus was awesome. Kudos to the music director on this show. Such great songs they chose throughout the series.

Famassu

Watched & finished Season 4. Had kind of put it off because we still don't have season 5 blu-ray available in Finland, so didn't want to watch season 4 and then have to wait, like, almost a year before that is released over here.

By far the best episode of the season was the one with the Machine coming up with the different options for escape & handling the mission. I was on the edge of my seat for that whole episode, feeling more & more desperate, and then the twist was nice and then the other twist not so nice. :'(

I had two bigger problems with this season. First of all, the whole having to go underground thing was made to be a much bigger deal than what it felt like during this season. It just didn't really FEEL like they needed to go out of their way to not stand out other than in select few occasions. Occasionally they had a bit more trouble, but overall they could pretty much do whatever the hell they wanted to & continue doing business as usual without too much fear of being caught (other than Shaw, that storyline was exciting). My other complaints is how badly I felt the gunfights were directed/choreographed a lot of the time. Too many instances where people are standing without any cover and even these highly trained groups of assassins can't get a single hit in. There have probably been similar occasions in previous seasons, but I dunno, for some reason they really stuck out in this season.

Also, continuing the "these people have worse aim than stormtroopers" line of thought, in the final episode of the season, it was kind of blergh-worthy when
they were transferring the Machine to that thingamajing and then some enemies got inside and were shooting at Root & Flinch and NO ONE supposedly thought about shooting the laptops and no bullets hit the laptops even accidentally since the computers were right behind the two protagonists at a height where you'd imagine a few stray bullets from machine guns would easily hit the laptops, if not intentionally then accidentally when trying to hit Root.
Just felt a bit sloppy from a directorial POV.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Just felt a bit sloppy from a directorial POV.

I wished that HBO made Person of Interest. Imagine that show, with that budget. That shit would be dope.

But yeah, it's definitely budget. For instance I think they didn't use guns that fired blanks because of the price of the licence in the city would balloon the budget sky high or something.

KonradLaw

I wished that HBO made Person of Interest. Imagine that show, with that budget. That shit would be dope.

But yeah, it's definitely budget. For instance I think they didn't use guns that fired blanks because of the price of the licence in the city would balloon the budget sky high or something.

PoI wouldn't work on HBO though. Too long and too procedural.

It would be a different show completely, which doesn't interest me really.
POI was absolutely perfect as is.

Got struck with the flue and ended up binge watching this show these past couple of weeks to pass the time, after having it recomanded to me a couple of times.
I felt the first half of the first season was a little dull but I became more and more interested after learning more and more about 'The Machine' and some of the character backstories.

Root was probably my favourite character. Reese was a total badass.

The Machine and it's capabilities actually kinda reminded me of The Major/ Project 2501 from Ghost in The Shell, which is neat.

Also, spoilers, this bit from season 3 with Hurt from Johnny Cash playing was really powerful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD8qvpMw8Vw&t=4s
Goddamn

Also also also when The Machine finally picked its voice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0KEHdO7qZQ
;_;

My wife and I just finished the whole show after a few months of watching. I had my reservations at first as I have never been a big fan of procedurals but wow, this was a really great show. We both loved every minute. The last episode was bitter sweet and one of the best of the whole show. So glad we stuck with it to the end.

It was also great to see so many actors from The Wire throughout, it was like bumping into old fiends.

Now comes the void, that one you feel when finishing a well loved show.

Also, spoilers, this bit from season 3 with Hurt from Johnny Cash playing was really powerful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD8qvpMw8Vw&t=4s
Goddamn

This is why the Devil's Share is one of the greatest pieces of television I have ever watched in my life. Everything from the story, music selection (Johnny Cash's Hurt sets the tone, Miami Showdown fucking DESTROYS
when Reese solos the Marshals
), character development, as well as the clever imagery of the beginning and end
Starts with Reese's heartbeat reading, ends with Simmons' death through his heartbeat reading quickly going to zero

No matter how many times I rewatch it, it never gets old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom