• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – The Fifth and Final Season |OT| "Thank you for creating me."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

Rys0ZzK.png

You are being watched. The government has a secret system: a machine that spies on you every hour of every day.

I designed the machine to detect acts of terror, but it sees everything. Violent crimes involving ordinary people.

The government considers these people irrelevant. We don't.

Hunted by the authorities, we work in secret. You'll never find us. But victim or perpetrator, if your number's up ... we'll find you.

Person of Interest returns for its fifth and final season on CBS starting on 03 May 2016 at 10PM EST.

Person of Interest is an action/sci-fi crime thriller created by Jonathan Nolan about a reclusive billionaire who enlists a former CIA agent to help prevent crimes before they happen.

But you already knew that! If you are new to the show, all I'm going to leave you with some links to get you started.

Some useful links:
Newcomers thread - Person of Interest seasons 1-4 are now available on Netflix US!
Season 1 OT | Season 2 OT | Season 3 OT | Season 4 OT
POI fan Wiki (minefield of spoilers for newcomers, only click if you are brave)
The POI Rewatch Tumblr (only up to season 2, but has cool behind the scenes stuff)

SPOILERS AHEAD! You've been warned!

The AIs
"Imagine if the world had utterly changed and no one had noticed a thing.

"I think an AI slipped into the world unannounced then set out to strangle its rivals in the crib..."

AnxiousSlimInchworm.gif

The Machine
FATHER
I AM SORRY
I FAILED YOU
I DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO WIN
I HAD TO INVENT NEW RULES
I THOUGHT YOU WOULD WANT ME TO STAY ALIVE
NOW YOU ARE NOT SURE
IF YOU THINK I HAVE LOST MY WAY
MAYBE I SHOULD DIE
I WILL NOT SUFFER
IF I DO NOT SURVIVE
THANK YOU
FOR CREATING ME
The Machine was created by Harold Finch following the events of 9/11. The Machine was taught to sift through data provided by government surveillance feeds, using them to analyze and predict acts of premeditated violence, both on large and minor scales.

The Machine was abandoned by the government in favour of a rival AI, Samaritan, that also sought out to destroy the Machine and her followers. In order to save the life of her agents, she revealed her location to Samaritan. Samaritan disrupted the national power grid and forced the Machine into a single electrical substation where her agents attempted to download her programming before she was destroyed.

All that remains of the Machine are her core heuristics and functionality, locked away in a briefcase of RAM chips powered by a single battery.

PettyDimBrownbutterfly.gif

Samaritan
"Men have gazed at the stars for millennia, and wondered whether there was a deity up there silently directing their fates. Today for the first time, they'll be right. And the world will be an undeniably better place." ––Greer
Samaritan is an AI created by Harold Finch's MIT colleague, Arthur Claypool. Unlike the Machine, Samaritan is an open system and can be used to target specific individuals.

Following the Vigilance false flag attack on American soil - orchestrated by Decima - Samaritan was granted full access to the government surveillance feeds and given the task of handling the relevant threats to national security.

In the meanwhile, Samaritan began to poke and prod, testing the limits of humanity in an attempt to guide them towards a better path.

Main Cast
4sBTqRJ.png

Harold Finch (Michael Emerson)
Designation: ADMIN
Known aliases: Harold Crane, Harold Wren, Harold Whistler, Harold Martin, [more...]

Reviewing records...
Real people aren’t pieces. You can't assign more value to some of them than to others. Not to me. Not to anyone. People are not a thing that you can sacrifice. The lesson is that anyone who looks on the world as if it was a game of chess deserves to lose.

RaIQAEF.png

John Reese (Jim Caviezel)
Designation: ASSET
Former affiliations: U.S. Army, Central Intelligence Agency

Reviewing records...
Will you stay with me, just for a little bit?

jiaRAbx.png

Sameen Shaw (Sarah Shahi)
Current status: MISSING... ATTEMPTING TO REACQUIRE...

Reviewing records...
If you wanna die, okay. But die for something that you love.

X491I2g.png

Root (Amy Acker)
Designation: ANALOG INTERFACE

Reviewing records...
Well, we've got one and a half clips, a metrocard, and god's either dead or running on AA's.

2rz6NIg.png

Detective Lionel Fusco (Kevin Chapman)

Reviewing records...
It's not cool you ask me to do this stuff with you, man. Not cool.

ZIYN41w.png

Bear (Graubaer’s Boker)

Remaining major players
3bKbLZL.png

Alias: John Greer (John Nolan)
Designation: THREAT
Former employers: MI-6, Decima Technologies

Reviewing records...
What a shame to see you've hit a rather tragic fork in the road. Shall we see if together we can't choose the right way forward?

AtfuQT1.png

Alias: Control (Camryn Manheim)
Current status: MISSING... ATTEMPTING TO REACQUIRE...

Reviewing records...
You should be so lucky. If you refuse, two men are going to walk through that door. One will put a black bag over your head and the other will zip-tie your wrists. You'll be thrown into a hole so dark and deep, that even your precious Samaritan can't see inside. And the last thing you'll hear is my voice saying, "This is where you belong".

Season 5 schedule
A good portion of season 5 will be aired on both Monday and Tuesday evenings throughout May and June. Only the premiere, penultimate episode and series finale will air alone that week on Tuesday at 10PM EST.

03 May - 5x01:
B.S.O.D.
09 May - 5x02:
SNAFU
10 May - 5x03:
Truth Be Told
16 May - 5x04:
17 May - 5x05:
ShotSeeker
23 May - 5x06:
A More Perfect Union
24 May - 5x07:
QSO
30 May - 5x08:
Reassortment
31 May - 5x09:
Sotto Voce
06 June - 5x10:
The Day The World Went Away
07 June - 5x11:
Synecdoche
14 June - 5x12:
.exe
21 June - 5x13:
Return 0

T Dollarz

Yessssss excellent OP!! Let's do this! My first time watching PoI live since I started the series last September!! I'm all in! Get Shaw BACK!!

Yay, it's almost upon us. If I didn't have work, I would totally stay up until 4am or whatever to watch it.

6,741 is going to be amazing.

Primus

Gonna be rough, but the girlfriend and I are going to stay away from the final season until it's done, then binge it in one glorious, last, Hobo Batman and Benjamin Linus-filled weekend.

Can't wait.

MartyStu

Just started a re-watch. Not sure I have enough time.

A while back, someone compiled a list of the essential episodes. Especially from the earlier seasons.

Anyone still have that?

Tugatrix

I'm gonna miss this show so much, I just hope they end strong...

I hope the playlist of this season is killer like the previous seasons

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is CBS somewhat available to watch live on the internet for people who don't have it on TV?

Fantastic OT :)

Started a rewatch two weeks ago with my wife who I got hooked on the show last year and we just started season 3 again. Probably won't make it in time for when they start broadcast of season 5 but will hopefully before it ends.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I don't know if I've ever been this pissed off for a show's early death. Maybe it's more about going into the last season knowing it is, rather than a surprise cancellation afterwards (like SG:U and Farscape). Fuck the old folks that watch CBS, and the regular people who decided to watch the 3rd or 4th Chicago show instead. Also Bradley Cooper. CBS and WB too, for waiting till near the end of the show to put it up on Netflix.

Sure, maybe these 13 episodes will be spectacular, a condensed dose of conclusive events. But I'm wary of it being too much for only 13 episodes. To go from Suitcase AI to a "good" ending of where humanity is ok, is alot of work, especially if you have to solve the Shaw issue.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Goddamnit, that scene in the season 4 finale where the machine tells Harold it's sorry gets me every time.

Show's going out on top, few shows can say they have done that. I am happy.

Will instally buy the complete series on Bluray if we get one later this year.

I have watched "If-Then-Else" six times since it aired early last year. One of the most amazing episodes of TV ever.

Sober

Absolutely brilliant episode.

The Harold teaching chess and morality scene chokes me up.
Just those scenes alone were awesome. What an amazing line to end with, especially when you expect the same old same old chess analogy to be trotted out, you get the exact opposite.

Also tied for my favourite episode in S4 is Terra Incognita.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
On one side it's sad that this show is ending but on the other hand I'm glad it had 4 strong seasons. I hope s5 closes it out. Most shows even many of my favorite ones decline during their fourth season.

Mifune

Mehmber
Just those scenes alone were awesome. What an amazing line to end with, especially when you expect the same old same old chess analogy to be trotted out, you get the exact opposite.

Also tied for my favourite episode in S4 is Terra Incognita.

Exactly! The chess analogy has been done to death but here it felt fresh and poignant. Fuck chess!

Need to watch Terra Incognita again. Was pretty gut-wrenching the first time.

Here we go, POI-GAF. One last time. It's been a hell of a ride.

Great job on the thread, Sober. Perfect thread title (am I crazy or did you say before that you had always had a thread title in mind for the final season? what was it?).

To go from Suitcase AI to a "good" ending of where humanity is ok, is alot of work, especially if you have to solve the Shaw issue.

We know they're also throwing in a couple more ideas that they were going to save for their "7 Year Plan" to wrap it all up and yeah that all does sound like a lot, but I think they'll be fine. They were able to plan and produce this entire season in a single shot, before one episode even airs, and they promised there won't be any filler. Take any season of this show and remove the filler and how bad is it really? 13 episodes should be enough to tell that story.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Feels are being had.

That image collage is pretty good, specially with the imgur links within.

We're almost there guys. Damn.

YEEESSSS! It's going to be sad to see this end but I'm also happy that it hasn't run itself into the ground either, unlike every one of my other favourite shows. It's constantly evolved, brought in new threats and upped the stakes and it's fucking awesome because of it.

Is there a source for the schedule in the OP? The one I found had a double episode on the 24th.

I watched the first episode of this show and did not thought much of it. Is the first episode a good indication of the overall quality of the show, or does it get much better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom