• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry:Does The Witcher 3: Blood And Wine Expansion Improve Its Graphics?

Loris146

I'd like someone to name a game from this gen that looks as beautiful

There are a lot of great looking titles ( U4, Battlefront, TO, Ryse etc ) but they are very different from each other ( TW 3 is a huge open world game , TO is a linear cinematic TPS etc ) , so it's not an easy comparison.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I'd like someone to name a game from this gen that looks as beautiful

At the risk of inciting a flame war, I was messing around with Dragon Age: Inquisition last night in Quad HD--all settings at Ultra, but with Fade-Touched texture settings, and it was jaw-dropping.

Art-wise, story-wise, game-wise, The Witcher might have it beat, but the visuals in DA:I are, at times, absolutely incredible.

Of course, this would only apply to the pc version.

Looks fantastic!

Hope with new consoles we can see real time global illumination and other things from 2014 demo under the name of "Enchanted Edition". :)
(but probably they need at least 10tf GPU...)

AlStrong

Or mesh merging.

It isn't so much that they discovered it, but rather had the ability to build the maps with that in mind.

Ah... didn't CryEngine 3 (Crysis 3 version) do something along those lines? fuzzy memory

So I suppose it was time issue for implementation?

I wonder how the console versions of Blood and Wine fare, but it should be damn fine like the base game.

I also wonder if there's going to be versions for the new PS4 and Xbox down the line.

I don't see why people go crazy over the look of this game. Yes, the fog is nice shade of blue and some of the character models are nice (i.e. the female models and hair). But the environments are very last gen looking, especially with the lighting and materials.

Are you the same kind of person that says current gen games look like PS2 games? You may need to replay some last gen games, I haven't seen a prettier game than Witcher 3 imo.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
How are these guys so good!? Even their expansions get 9's and 10's across the board and are amazing values.

Helznicht

The controls @ the 2 min mark elaborate why I have not played this as much as I should have. Expansion looks ace though!

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
How are these guys so good!? Even their expansions get 9's and 10's across the board and are amazing values.
A good question. I try not to question it, they're just THAT good at expanding on this series. Just a constant upward spiral in quality from W1-W3.

Dmax3901

The draw distance in Touissant is great. The LOD isn't incredible, but everything's just clearer. I came across a great view from Beauclair of the rolling hills in the distance at dawn. The ridge lines of the hills were back-lit with that blue/white light of the rising sun. Floored me.

tuxfool

Banned
Ah... didn't CryEngine 3 (Crysis 3 version) do something along those lines? fuzzy memory

So I suppose it was time issue for implementation?

Yeah. Cryengine can allow meshes to merge in order to save draw calls.

Regarding whatever they are doing, I suspect it is a question of time and experience. I imagine in the base game iteration rates and constant change made it hard to plan on what they could or could not merge, or possibly they didn't know the true cost until they had the full game up and running. Knowing how the engine performs on a full map, allows them to plan ahead.

I really wish I could get into this game. Boy, I've tried. Maybe when I can get some mods to work :x because this shit looks gorgeous. and the scale dude

Social

I'm almost tempted to wait until I upgrade my rig later this year to play this. I'm currently getting through the first Witcher anyway... although the Witcher 3 base game ran great on my 750ti... I wonder if the performance updates will get me a higher framerate in the expansion. I was already getting 35-40 fps on the 750ti and was really happy with that.

psychotron

Started playing the base game again tonight because I shelved it for a while. Looks great, great story...hate how Geralt controls. Even the alternative movement isn't good for me. I can adjust but I still don't like it.

LurkingFear

Niu5T0A.gif

I don't see why people go crazy over the look of this game. Yes, the fog is nice shade of blue and some of the character models are nice (i.e. the female models and hair). But the environments are very last gen looking, especially with the lighting and materials.

The materials in witcher 3 were last-gen looking ?
Really ?
Man i do wonder what open-world game on PS3 /xbox360 were like this , especially since you even add the lightning

Last Gen Materials.

Last gen environments

I just can't think of any other game on the market with scenes that are this dense AND has materials like this AND has dynamic time of day and weather.

Last Gen Materials.

Last gen environments

I just can't think of any other game on the market with scenes that are this dense AND has materials like this AND has dynamic time of day and weather.

These screens from the PS2 ? :p

I think this is an awesome looking game personally.

In past few years I haven't been able to play many games that hold my attention for longer than the first few days. But witcher 3 the moment I started playing I was hooked and to play even more of this great game I'm excited

The draw distance in Touissant is great. The LOD isn't incredible, but everything's just clearer. I came across a great view from Beauclair of the rolling hills in the distance at dawn. The ridge lines of the hills were back-lit with that blue/white light of the rising sun. Floored me.

The funny thing about the draw distance is that even though that blue fog is everywhere in the base game, the game is still rendering stuff that's behind it, that you can't see. There's a mod on PC that just removes that fog a bit, and you can see so much more once that's done.

It's really weird. Apparently it's a "artistic decision", but it doesn't make sense.

Code:
[IMG]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7107/26544939914_6409802cc4.jpg[/IMG][IMG]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7780/27137782556_deb97c06eb.jpg[/IMG][IMG]https://c3.staticflickr.com/8/7748/26611040234_d658cbdab0.jpg[/IMG]

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I wonder how the console versions of Blood and Wine fare, but it should be damn fine like the base game.

I also wonder if there's going to be versions for the new PS4 and Xbox down the line.

in an interview they said it was still able to run at 30fps on ps4 (i think).

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Does one need the original game to play the expansion? I have it on PS4, but thought I'd buy it on PC since I upgraded.

yeah, you need the base game to play the expansions. they are not standalone releases although there is an option to instantly start playing the expansion content. so for example, i've played through the entire game on PS4 but if i wanted to move to PC and start playing B&W without playing through the base game + HoS i can do that.

Nice meme.

Kazuhira

Unfortunately the gameplay is one of the main reason i couldn't enjoy this game and i have it since day 1.
The overwhelming amount of stuff to do is another reason,some people may consider it a positive thing but right now i don't have the time,open-world games have been a big turn off for me lately.
A shame because the game seems to be amazing.

Uncharted 4 isn't as impressive as some of the other games mentioned. Witcher 3, GTA V, AC Syndicate, AC Unity, Mad Max, Just Cause 3, are all more impressive. A few of them also look better too. Honestly, FFXV looks to impress as well. Looks better and is more impressive on an overall technical level. Rise of The Tomb Raider(PC Version)has moments that look better than Uncharted 4, but those are linear games. DOOM looks amazing for a linear title. id Tech6 is a beast!

Javin98

Banned
I said it back when the PS4 version was locked at 20FPS in the bogs and I'll say it again now. CDP isn't a technically incompetent dev like many claimed they were. I'm pretty sure a simultaneous release on three platforms with the crazy ambitions of the game was pretty tough on them. They were probably inexperienced and time constrainted around launch. Great to see optimizations done in the DLC. Shame it can't be applied to the whole game. Also, hope their next game gets an animation overhaul. The Witcher 3 looks great, but generally animates poorly.

Uncharted 4 isn't as impressive as some of the other games mentioned. Witcher 3, GTA V, AC Syndicate, AC Unity, Mad Max, Just Cause 3, are all more impressive. A few of them also look better too. Honestly, FFXV looks to impress as well. Looks better and is more impressive on an overall technical level. Rise of The Tomb Raider(PC Version)has moments that look better than Uncharted 4, but those are linear games. DOOM looks amazing for a linear title. id Tech6 is a beast! All in my opinion, of course!
There, fixed it for you. You derailed the DOOM DF thread and you plan to do it here too? People can have opinions, you know.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
So you can't seamlessly sail to the new dlc area?

It's like a separate loading screen?

no. it's impossible to sail to an area where there is no water. from skellige you'd have to sail eastwards along the yaruga until Riedburne then head south through the mountains to get to Toussaint. that's not in the game world but the world in the books.

it's bad enough sailing between islands in Skellige in the game. you wouldn't want to sail from skellige to velen because the distance is too large and it would mean they need to add a lot of land area such as Cidaris/Bremervoord/Kerack/Brokilon and maybe Cintra.

The in game world is heavily condensed together and each map is separate from each other except Velen/Novigrad. They are essentially the same map but you can select either area to go to the top/bottom of the map. If you want to go to a different map you need to select it and go through a loading screen but the skellige/velen maps are so big it doesn't feel too bad and you usually aren't going back and forth too much during the game.

here is an image showing the rough location of each map in the game to give you an idea of what's been left out. the red is base game maps and blue is the new Toussaint map in B&W:

V6R5cDH.jpg

Top Bottom