• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin'en, WiiWare, Platformer, Mario Galaxy visuals, Jett Rocket

AniHawk

It's weird that these recent SMGish platformers are being made by people with spotty track records or without a track record to begin with. SMG sold 9 million copies and it's only imitated by really small developers?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Cow Mengde said:
Oh wow, someone here played Garfield. I played it because it was made by Shin'en. It wasn't bad, but it was too easy. Our kids games back in the early 90s were much more challenging than that.
indeed. i played it because (1) it was garfield, (2) it was beautifully animated by shin'en ; ) the final boss did have me scratching my head for a minute, though : ) anyway, point being, i'd have another one on the DD services any day.

Celine

New Nintendo Everything interview with Manfred Linzner.

Nintendo Everything: In a few sentences, can you please describe the style of gameplay in Jett Rocket?

Manfred Linzner: “3D Jump’n'Run” desribes JR’s gameplay best. You know, free exploration, no invisible walls, free camera control. You have a great amount of moves and you can interact with many vehicles and machines. One of the coolest things JR can do is to fly to higher grounds with his Jet Pack.

NE: How did the team manage to technically pull off such graphics, especially considering the file size limit on WiiWare?

ML: First of all we developed a custom ’shader’ system which supports all the hardware tricks you can do on the Wii. So we could realtime preview all those Wii shaders in our 3D application. That was a big help to cut down iteration time and to test as many effects as possible.

As you may know the Wii graphics hardware has no pixel shaders like the PS3 or XBOX360. Nonetheless you can achive stunning results when you wrap your mind about the special abilities of the Wii. One thing the Wii we can do very well is to combine many textures very quickly. So we designed our materials like you would create layers in ‘Photoshop’. An important addition was that many textures were realtime generated and feed back into the shaders. With this techique we were able to create stunning materials without wasting megabytes on giant static and animated textures.

On top of that we use many different techniques to allow stuff like reflective and refractive materials, softed shadows, animated ocean waves and spray, grass, heat waves, etc.

Finally the 40Mb limit on WiiWare isn’t a big problem. We were used on the DS to create games in 4Mb. You just have to use different approaches then used in most retail games.

NE: When can gamers expect Jett Rocket to arrive on the Wii Shop Channel? Do you have an idea about how much the game will cost yet?

ML: We hope only very few months will go by until the release. We want to keep the costs very low, to allow anyone to play JR. However, the final release date and costs are set by Nintendo.

More
@ NE:
http://www.nintendoeverything.com/35175/

GDGF

Soothsayer
I wish more people knew how to use the Wii's tev shader system like these guys seem to. Everybody working on a Wii game should have a member of Factor 5 in their team, dammit! :lol

stilgar

GDGF said:
I wish more people knew how to use the Wii's tev shader system like these guys seem to. Everybody working on a Wii game should have a member of Factor 5 in their team, dammit! :lol

spider-man-3-20070504032237938.jpg

"Text...what?Oh, yeah, no. "

Celine said:
Manfred Linzner: “3D Jump’n'Run” desribes JR’s gameplay best. You know, free exploration, no invisible walls, free camera control. You have a great amount of moves and you can interact with many vehicles and machines. One of the coolest things JR can do is to fly to higher grounds with his Jet Pack.

More
@ NE:
http://www.nintendoeverything.com/35175/
Sweet, sounds like Mario Sunshine!

The pics on the interview page aren't loading. Are any of them new?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Shin'en really has their graphics down... This game has some impressive visuals, as does Nanostray 2. Which I was just playing the other day... wouldn't mind work on a Nanostray 3, even if the second one wears its influences on its sleeve, it's still an awesome game.

GeekyDad

Yeah, Shin'en seem to be masters of tech. Even their Garfield game for DS was prettier than most Square Enix releases. I went back to the original Nanostray about a month ago, and I'm still dazzled by how gorgeous that game looks and plays. Some slowdown, sure, but still a great shmup.

I'm looking forward to this game, but I won't get my hopes up too much. Shin'en might be masters in terms of making games look fantastic on a memory budget, but they usually play it way safe when it comes to gameplay.

Eteric Rice

So basically, you have to make the shaders yourself on the Wii?

Kind of wish Nintendo had just made them and sent them with the dev kits. : / Maybe 85% of the Wii's games wouldn't look so terrible.

blu

Eteric Rice said:
So basically, you have to make the shaders yourself on the Wii?

Kind of wish Nintendo had just made them and sent them with the dev kits. : / Maybe 85% of the Wii's games wouldn't look so terrible.
actually i'd rather nintendo did not. i hate it when the majority of games on a given platform have the 'by the book' look. plus, there's no guarantee dev's would still bother; IIRC there's a depth-texture example in the SDK - how many games have you seen utilizing self-shadowing on the wii?

technically, flipper/hollywood is a potent pixel shader - i'd position it somewhere between PS 1.1 and 1.4 in D3D terms. the platform's issue is with vertex shaders - it can do EMBM preparations and that's about as far as it goes. but even EMBM alone can be a powerful tool, and not just for specularities/envmaps.

anyhow, i'm glad that a really small developer like shin'en is showing how it's done. comes to show how much the rest are not trying. i'm particularly enjoying it when wiiware titles by devs like frontier, shin'en and others of that caliber take the wii looker crown almost every season.

Eteric Rice

BadSanta said:
Looks really good for a Wiiware. And it seems to be pretty fun as well. Why so few devs are trying on Wii :( ?

They want to pretend it doesn't exist because if they acknowleged it, it would mean possibly making something without guns, tits, or sports.

Basically, at this point I just think most publishers wanted it to fail. And while it still hasn't failed, and won't fail, they'll continue to ignore it anyway. It was a self-fulfilling prophecy.

BadSanta

Eteric Rice said:
They want to pretend it doesn't exist because if they acknowleged it, it would mean possibly making something without guns, tits, or sports.

Basically, at this point I just think most publishers wanted it to fail. And while it still hasn't failed, and won't fail, they'll continue to ignore it anyway. It was a self-fulfilling prophecy.
That's pretty much what I think. The Wii doesn't match with a certain business model. This model was established before this gen and they never wanted to admit they were "wrong".

Kafel

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
There's a platformer on Xbox Indies that runs at 720p and looks even closer to Mario Galaxy in terms of visual style (particularly the rim lighting on the character, which is probably the single most distinctive visual element of Mario Galaxy to me and is not present in the OP game) although definitely a lot more... sparse than this Shin'en game and is 35MB.

1.png

2.png

It's got 5 different worlds, although as you can see the level design is closer to the sort of pure jumpathon challenge levels you'd find in Super Mario Sunshine, the Bowser levels from Mario 64, etc.

I suspect the game will be an hour or two long, but it'll make heavy use of asset duplication, palette swaps, compression tricks, procedural music or relatively little music, etc.

I think I could almost beat that game with the demo. It was ok.

mclem

Kozak said:
That could just be a coin system like in most platformers.

The fact that there appear to be different totals to aim for at different times (one would presume on different levels) suggests otherwise.

Vitet

Anyway, I think that with a short WiiWare game, collectaton is less annoying than in a full long game with tons of levels

Vitet said:
Anyway, I think that with a short WiiWare game, collectaton is less annoying than in a full long game with tons of levels

I agree. I haven't really played any collect-a-tons since the N64 eras anyway. It wouldn't be a bad change of pace after being up to the neck with FPS games. A well done collect-a-ton is still very enjoyable. That said, it's all up to Shin'en now.

wsippel

Banned
The uncompressed sizes of the assets used in Jett Rocket:

• 245MB Textures
  • 160MB Geometry and shaders
  • 140MB Music
  • 73MB Sound effects
  • 8MB Fonts
  • 3.5MB Particles
  • 500kB Script code
  • 151kB Localization
More than 600MB compressed to 40MB. German engineering... :D

mr_chun

Damn, that looks amazing. I can't wait to see it in motion

Also, I'm part of the Nanostray Defense Force, so look out haters. :lol It was actually the second DS game I ever got (after SM64DS), so I'm quite partial to it. I played the crap out of it until my library exploded in late 2005.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Mr. Pointy said:
I want to see what Shin'en can do on the 3DS.

I do hope they're one of the first western houses with a dev kit.

Weren't they really early on DS development?

wsippel said:

• 245MB Textures
  • 140MB Music
  • 73MB Sound effects
  • 8MB Fonts
  • 3.5MB Particles
  • 500kB Script code
  • 151kB Localization
nice.

stuminus3

wsippel said:
Holy crap.

I'll never understand why the big companies don't try harder to get guys like this working on their titles, or at least get their tech. Shin'en don't exactly have a great history (other than Nanostray 2 being one of my favorite shmups ever), but damn, their tech is amazing.

Celine

wsippel said:

• 245MB Textures
  • 140MB Music
  • 73MB Sound effects
  • 8MB Fonts
  • 3.5MB Particles
  • 500kB Script code
  • 151kB Localization
Where is this from ? Is there a new interview/article online ?

However Deutschland über alles :D

pakkit

Banned
nincompoop said:
Maybe there is no motion. The whole game consists of still shots, with the correct input leading to another beautiful screen, and the incorrect input leading to the death screen. Seriously, I can't figure out how they can do this with only 40mb unless there are only a small number of fairly small environments.
Nice.

The sandbox gameplay sounds interesting to me. One of my favorite things about GTA is just picking a location and figuring out how to get there. The problem is that this is developed by Shinen, which means there is bound to be a hiccup or three.

later

600MB to 40MB? Wtf? What kind of compression algorithm do these guys use (and how do they uncompress it without affecting gameplay because of cpu usage / slowdown)

Why can't more devs do this? What's the catch?

Azure J

wsippel said:

• 245MB Textures
  • 140MB Music
  • 73MB Sound effects
  • 8MB Fonts
  • 3.5MB Particles
  • 500kB Script code
  • 151kB Localization

FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU

Why is stuff like this always so goddamned fascinating to me?

wsippel said:

• 245MB Textures
  • 140MB Music
  • 73MB Sound effects
  • 8MB Fonts
  • 3.5MB Particles
  • 500kB Script code
  • 151kB Localization

So if anyone ever want to hire game programmers, make sure they're German.

Imagine what they could have done on N64 where they have 64MB to work with. Ogre Battle 64 was 40 MB and still blurry as hell.

blu

interesting. let's try to make wild quesses.

• 245MB Textures: diffuse/albedo maps dxt (s3tc) compressed, the majority in opaque dxt1 - 8:1 lossy compression. put huffman on top of that - 10:1. for the majority of EMBM perturbance effects (bumps, ripples, etc), use procedurally-generated maps. so amount of physically compressed textures could be around 25MB
  • 160MB Geometry and shaders:: more than sure the volume of shaders in those are negligible. also, they most likely use Retro's approach of using low-precision vertex formats for the world geometry*. maybe also some procedurally-generated geometry? anyhow, 160MB of geometry is rather too much. let's see how big/diverse their world is. i wouldn't be surprised if their compressed geometry assets were 10-15MB.
  • 140MB Music: MIDI/MOD-format music. depending on the music variety/quality, the resulting sound bank may be as little as a couple of megabytes.
  • 73MB Sound effects: no clue what they count as SFX and how they reach to that 'decompressed' number. speech? - can be heavilly compressed. blasts and zaps? - procedurally generated. a compression factor of 10:1 or better here.
  • 8MB Fonts: everything goes through a glyph rasterizer ala freetype, so the size of the fonts is the size of the rasterizer lib + a couple of ttf definitions. a megabyte, maybe two?
  • 3.5MB Particles: again, not clear what metric they use to quantize that.
  • 500kB Script code: good old huffman, can crunch human-readble texts like a champ.
  • 151kB Localization: ditto.

i think that the above totaling to about 45-50MB is quite plausible, german engineering or not ; )

* the cube/wii can use 8bit-per-vector-component vertex formats, Retro used that in the primes for the world geometry.

Top Bottom