• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 games. 1 Year. 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Main post

ss_0e48e280581bcb02e47777f65a37ed1c45e6bfff.1920x1080_19141.jpg

Game #106: NightSky (3DS) - ★★★★★★★★☆☆

NightSky is good, but eventually the levels became all too frustrating. I do not dislike the physics, but ultimately I think that they could have done more to refine them and make them work better.

Game #107: Punch-Out!! (NES) - ★★★★★★★★★★

Well, I've gotten as far as I can lol. I recently managed to get past Soda Popinski for the first time, and after some effort I managed to over time get through Bald Bull, Don Flamenco, Mr. Sandman, and Super Macho Man. These were all super difficult, but eventually surmountable. Mike Tyson though? Fuck him. And I know that it's Mr. Dream in the version I played, but that's no fun, so I'm pretending it's Mike Tyson. No matter how hard I try, I just cannot get past him, and I am okay with this.

Game #108: Perfect Stride (PC) - ★★★★★★★★☆☆

One of the better games included in the LA Game Space package. A first-person-perspective skateboarding game, it does some really cool stuff with the genre, and sports some really unique controls and concepts. I'd definitely recommend trying out if you want to try something very different.

Game #109: Game Space Space Game Station (PC) - ★★★★★★★☆☆☆

This game was pretty decent, though pretty infuriating too. The controls felt a bit sloppy, and a lot of the earlier stuff is so simple that it just makes dying later tedious (which ultimately leads you to stupid deaths to easy challenges).

Also, to note, I'm not doing -every- game from the LA Game Space pack - games like uu and To My Favorite Sinner for instance I played but did not count. They were co-op games, neat ones, but I felt done with them so quickly it felt like I was cheating if I included them.

Game #110: Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved (PC) - ★★★★★★★☆☆☆

This is a game that I really wanted to like, but ultimately, I just couldn't get into it. I'm not one to dislike the kinds of "play until you die" games, but this one in particular seems a little too unforgiving, I guess. It is a truly beautiful game though, and when it's fun, it's -really- fun. I dunno, maybe if I got into it when it first came out I would have loved it more?

Velcro Fly

Original Post

For May I completed 8 games.

My current progress for this challenge is 31/52

1. Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors – Finished May 1 – 28 hours, 42 minutes
All endings. Great game. Some frustrating elements though. It will take a while to process the story and everything fully to decide if it goes in my top 10 or not. I bought it to get free shipping on Amazon a month or two ago and started playing it to take a break from Pokemon. Always wanted to play it and finally did. So glad that I did.

2. Pokemon White 2 – Finished May 8 – 32 hours, 15 minutes
My epic pokemon journey has finally come to an end. This was played on challenge mode, meaning the AI is better and has higher leveled and more pokemon. Pretty much all the of E4 has good hold items, including the champion having something with a Focus Sash and then slamming me in the face with Outrage. My team of Samurott, Lucario, Ampharos, Krookodile, Chandelure, and Sigilyph was up to the task of challenge mode. I swear this game and it's predecessor were designed around gratuitous Lucky Egg use. EXP curve felt really good in this game using that item most of the time. I'm still amazed at how well this generation of games has held up. Gen five is genuinely fun still. I am done with pokemon games until Sun and Moon come out later in the year!

3. New Super Mario Bros DS – Finished May 11 – 9 hours
I liked this game when it first came out. I was thirsty for anything 2D Mario since it had been so long since we had seen anything 2D Mario. I enjoyed the game and beat it within a couple days but I remember being super disappointed that it was over. I've played through it again a few more times since and seemingly enjoyed it less every time. This time wasn't bad, but there are just tons of annoying parts and then they throw in the tiny pipe for tiny Mario to get a secret exit or a random wall of blocks where you need koopa shell Mario. I got most of the Star Coins but some of them in World 8 are exercises in frustration so I just got to the end of the game. I can't have more than maybe a handful left to get. Also played through as Green Mario this time.

4. Return to PopoloCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale – Finished May 19 – 34 hours, 20 minutesThis was the game I bought with my promo credit from Best Buy and the FE Fates special edition fiasco. I played it for a while and enjoyed it but put it down in favor of the pokemon marathon. Finally got back to it and really enjoyed it. Played most of the game on “King” difficulty which is the highest. The game was still a little easy at times but bosses were fun. The farming aspect was really cool and it felt really good to be able to create the things I would need for sidequests and things like that. I have finished the main story but will be going back and finishing sidequests, the rest of the gofer dungeons I have, as well as getting the final golden tool I need. I thought about getting 100% recipes too but that seems tedious. The game surprised me by how charming and warm it was. The marriage of the farming aspect with the JRPG aspect was really well done. Can't wait to dive in and take on the postgame stuff tomorrow!

5. Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes – Finished May 22 – 6 hours, 46 minutes
This was a fun little game I got for really cheap last black Friday. I needed a third used game at Best Buy to get in on a buy two get one free used deal. It has been sitting in my backlog since then and today I finally decided to blast through the main story. It was a fun game and the 3D during cutscenes was decent. I'm probably going to go through Free Play and see about going for 100% before I get tired of the game. This has convinced me to give other Lego games a try.

6. Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer – Finished May 25 – 17 hours, 6 minutes
Animal Crossing is a fun game but this gets repetitive quickly. There is zero motivation to make things great beyond just adding the required items. I enjoyed the game for a while but not having much creativity and not having much incentive to go all out really killed it for me. Finally got the credits roll so I'll consider the game beaten even though I could go back and make houses for any of the 400 or so villagers in the game. The fact that you can't design a coherent village that you can walk through and visit former clients is another negative for me. Game is still fun but I wish it was more a part of New Leaf and not it's own thing.

7. Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3 – Finished May 29 – 4 hours
Completed all levels for 100% completion of the game. I even managed to take the spade houses all the way to the max level for the free win at the end. Not much to be said about such a classic game. I played it in one day in one sitting while watching auto racing with my family. I have beaten Super Mario Bros 3 quite a few times in my life and have beaten this game to 100% completion at least three times since I now have three save files with the 100% star now.

8. Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World – Finished May 29 – 1 hour, 32 minutes
I beat the first five worlds and part of Chocolate Island before I decided to just rush Bowser. The game was fun but the NASCAR race I was watching was almost over so I wanted to finish. Game is still very fun but I didn't really feel like getting 100%. I might still play the VC version later so I decided to just beat the game quickly after all.

I've fallen way behind on these updates, so here's another double update.

Game #25 (5/6/2016) - Pink Hour / Pink Heaven [PC]

I'm following suit with a few posters and calling these one game, and hardly one. They're still a unique and incredibly charming experience that functions as a set of demos for the game Kero Blaster. These are the best interactive advertisements I've ever touched by a landslide; even if I only can really put that next to that Super 8 promo from Portal 2.

They're quick, quick playthroughs that form cute little episodes in the life of an office worker with a crush on the boy at the corner store. Her office tasks frequently involve being sent out into mysterious environments with the unexplained ability to shoot lasers, and frequently end with discussing that hot new game she needs to pick up as a gift, Kero Blaster.

Quick and simple and absolutely adorable. I can't recommend them enough as a free little aside.

Meanwhile, on the far opposite end of the spectrum:

Game #26 (5/24/2016) - Demon's Souls [PS3]

This was my first Souls series game, but not my first attempt at it. I had another file where I got past 1-1 and I think just called it a day. I don't remember even stepping into another zone.

I didn't go in blind, and I'm not gonna pretend I did. I've had playthroughs on in the background as part of my usual "LPs for background noise" habits. So, I've caught plenty of Souls action, but I make a point to not pay too much attention to those in particular. On top of that, I looked up a build, and I know I looked a few things up out of frustration and impatience, and I've got a few pages of notes here on my desk on how detrimental that was to the experience. I'm working on typing those up into something readable.

The game was still an unbelievably fresh experience for me. I went in with a pre-built Faith build, and I think that helped a lot with the game for me in terms of helping me understand the weapon upgrade systems, and sure, giving me just enough of an early handicap to let me get into the game. I don't regret that much, but I'm crazy excited to go into future games blind now. The whole pacing of the combat, the environments, the variety, just did an amazing job of making me feel powerful, despite kicking my teeth in left and right.

Except World 5. Fuck World 5. I hated it, I hated playing it, hated looking at it, and hated how bad it made me feel as a human being on my way out. It might be my favorite section of the game, but fuck World 5.

To put it on the record, I started Dark Souls on PC. The jump to 1080p 60fps is astounding. I've also struggled more with the Undead Burg than I did with the entirety of Demon's Souls.

50% Celebration

mr_chun

Original Post

Oh yeah, coming in swinging with game number... 2.

Game 2: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Now that the school year is over, I'm trying to balance getting work done to prepare for next year with raising my three-month-old son. Fortunately for gaming, I came down with a nasty respiratory infection -- I guess my body is just breaking down now that the pressure of the school year is off. Being on the couch for a few days had its benefits; I beat Uncharted and made some headway into Ratchet and Clank.

Uncharted was great, a fitting end to the series. My favorite one has always been Drake's Fortune, so it was nice to see some allusions to the first game contained within. I had a lot of fun with my first run, and I took my time - some 17 hours to the credits. I looked at everything. Great game.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Dragon_Quest_V_Hand_of_the_Heavenly_Bride_Game_Cover.png

Been a few weeks but excessive gaming time has been freed up so I got ta finish up Dragon Quest V! Got a feeling I'll still end up liking VI more once I get around to replaying it!

Games Beaten: 31 / 52
Total Playtime: 559:34:04
01 - 27
28 - ??

GLuigi

Main Post

Game #31: Dyscourse (PC) - 5 Hours
My first playthrough was only about 1.5 hours with the rest just getting all the achievements. Thought the game was just average for me, could of used some more substance to the overall story. The only thing keeping the game from getting stale was getting to know some characters as they tagged along with whenever the group had to split up and do tasks. A lot of the choices you make in the game are obvious to figure out the consequences. Replaying through the game can a be a chore as there is no way to fast forward through text I have already seen. Although, you can choose which day to start off with so you don't have to fully replay the game through each time. I did play through the extra side story as well, but found it more boring than the main one. Probably would of been better to make the side story an animated short to promote the game.

Game #32: Bravely Second: End Layer (3DS) - 80 Hours
Probably could of finished this game 15- 20 hours earlier, but I wanted to at least get all my jobs at level 10 before finishing. Overall I enjoyed this game more than Bravely Default. The game paces itself a lot better, and has a lot more jobs to play around with. One of the main differences is that most of the jobs (which are the returning jobs from BD) you obtain come from side quests where you have to decide how it ends by choosing between two moral decisions. Choosing one forces the party supporting the opposing side to fight you and hence obtain the job. The only problem i had with it was that I found myself choosing more about which jobs i wanted more rather than what I believed was the right way to handle to sidequest, which defeats the purpose of the sidequest stories.

There are some jobs that doesn't return in BS, but i hardly noticed as I was having fun messing around with the new ones with Wizard, Exorcist, Guardian, and Catmancer being my favorite ones out of the new bunch. Grinding isn't as tedious as BD since you can fight multiple battles one after another if you can finish them in one turn, which rewards you with bigger exp. Overall, I found the game a little bit easier where I only had trouble with only 2 of the boss fights. (One of them i only had to slow down the battle from fast to normal because the text info for one of the boss' buffs was only up for a short time.)

Currently Playing:
My Nintendo: Picross: LoZ: TP: My first Picross game and really enjoying it so far.

Dishonored: I pre ordered Dishonored 2 when Target screwed up the prices and got it cheap, but haven't played the first one yet. Thought it would be good to start playing it now before I become too busy.

Main post

Game #111: Meteos (DS) - ★★★★★★★★★☆

Meteos is awesome, and it's so sad that the only games following it were the mediocre Meteos Wars for Xbox 360 and the garbage Meteos: Disney Magic. The gameplay is really great and interesting (only being able to go up and down makes it so memorable), and arguably even better is the style. It has a whole bunch of different musical, visual, and gameplay styles that keep you playing the game. I played it a lot, off-and-on, and until yesterday I didn't manage to beat it on the harder mode, which was really damn satisfying to finally do.

Game #112: TransPlan (PC) - ★★★★★★★★☆☆

This game was mostly high points for me, though some of its snags bothered the heck out of me. Earlier on it's really fun and satisfying, but unlike some other games, its later levels felt like there was way too much to compartmentalize in order to get through them.

Game #000: Universal Sandbox (PC) - ★★★★★★★★☆☆

Universal Sandbox is pretty cool, but kind of outside my paygrade if you know what I mean. It's ironically too big for me to really wrap my head around, though I can really understand the appeal it has. I got a reasonable amount of fun out of it in the time I played it, anyway!

Game #000: Chessmaster 9000 (PC) - ★★★★★★★★★☆

I don't really play chess video games and thought that this was one of those "chess games with cool animations" thing so I was a bit disappointed when I realized that it was just a chess game. I changed my mind significantly when I realized it was at the opposite end of the spectrum, and was in fact a pretty solid game of chess with a lot of features. Like, it's surprisingly deep, and it actually made me a little bit better at chess (I like to think, anyway :p).

Game #000: Super Amazing Wagon Adventure (PC) - ★★★★★★★☆☆☆

Super Amazing Wagon Adventure is pretty okay, but it kind of overstayed its welcome, and fast. The randomness factor is kind of cute, but I just didn't find the gameplay compelling or fun enough to keep me engaged.

Dragon_Quest_V_Hand_of_the_Heavenly_Bride_Game_Cover.png

Been a few weeks but excessive gaming time has been freed up so I got ta finish up Dragon Quest V! Got a feeling I'll still end up liking VI more once I get around to replaying it!

Games Beaten: 31 / 52
Total Playtime: 559:34:04
01 - 27
28 - ??

I really need to finish this! I've been putting it off so much :[

BraXzy

It's been a heck of a long time since I last posted. My time has once again been partly consumed by multiplayer goodness so I have had less games completed. I also start a new job tomorrow so my completion rate is gonna plummet further, fingers crossed I still make the 52 :D

I've played some fantastic games recently although Dangerous Golf was a let down. I finished the Uncharted saga (which is incredible). I took a billion screenshots during my playthrough of UC4.

HuTbTwM.png

GAME 33: Uncharted 3 - 8 hours - 09/05/2016 - PS4

Completed the night prior to Uncharted 4’s release, this was a fun ride. Bogged down by some poor encounters and a rushed ending. Its terrible hit detection made for some infuriating gameplay sections. Visually however the game still holds up with some gorgeous sights and great lighting. The set pieces are incredible too. A true blockbuster.

2055FKN.png

GAME 34: Overwatch – 40+ hours multi - 24/05/2016 - PC

Polished to perfection team shooter from Blizzard filled with memorable characters and unique abilities. Fantastic fun in a group, this will certainly have a permanent slot in my multiplayer line up for a long while. I am obsessed with skins!

7AdWcVv.png

GAME 35: Uncharted 4 - 16 hours - 03/06/2016 - PS4

A spectacular send off for Nathan Drake, with jaw dropping visuals, lifelike animations and impressive acting. It has a great mix of exploring, shooting, driving and climbing with refined mechanics in more open levels. The set pieces are subtler, but more impactful and extensive. Although this is a slower entry, for me it was near perfect. Overall UC4 nails the feeling of a grand adventure. Another contender for GOTY!

2PO2Rc3.png

GAME 36: Dangerous Golf - 2 hours - 05/06/2016 - PC

Burnouts Crash mode in golf form. With impressive physics and great graphics on display, it can be quite fun to destroy rooms full of fragile objects. But it feels like it’s missing a layer of polish, there’s a lot of waiting, and the concept gets old quite quickly. It feels like a mini-game for something bigger.

other post is too big with text, so next..

56. Alien Isolation 8/10

Overall good game but has a lot of flaws

- alien follows you too damn much, it it's an alien section it wil be right around you the whole time no matter what. it won't lose you, it won't be away in another room, it will always hover right around you which feels really annoying. A lot of the ship repeats which is ok but should actually be less alien parts as they are more annoying than fun in reality for me

atmosphere is the best part of the game, and decently long game. Hated the forced linear stealth parts with the aliens an robots though. Needs to be done much better. 4-29

57. Alien DLC- Not great, short , very short and simple. Nice that it is from the movie atleast but needed more from the first movie imo

58. Sleeping Dogs 8/10

Enjoyed it for the most part, had a lot of decent story parts and levels that intertwined with the world. Liked the setting a lot and would enjoy this quite a bit more than a GTA personally. 5/12

59. Table Top Racing- 8/10

Game is pretty good at the top speeds and cars but the speed still needs to be about 3 to for times faster and needs better track design overall. Later tracks are more fun with the best cars though. Tight controls and tight cornering for the most part, the need to slow down so you don't jump or to make a turn is a nice touch 5/6

60.. Gone Home 5/10

I like games like this but this one is so short... I mean so so so short that no one should have to buy it. Couldn't believe how short it was, at the end of the game I was thinking part 1 of 8 or something but nope that's the game. So glad I didn't buy it, amazingly short and I can't even critique more cause of that. 6/8

61. BF hardlines 6.5/10

The game had a few good levels and areas look better than others. Overall though the game isn't very fun with it's arrest game play and just makes it feel quite boring. But again, some levels wee cool like the mansion, pinhouse and a few others.. enjoyed those and the little details they brought. 6/22

63. Sleeping dogs DLC
nightmare- 4/10 basically just not very good, boring missions and annoying enemies to fight just didn't enjoy it at all. it's all go here fight these annoying ghost monsters and repeat.

Year of the Sname 6/10 again, it's sort of annoying and there arent really any missions that stand out as something special. a little better than nightmare but not by much, it atleast doesn't have the annoynaces of nightmare though. Original game is a lot better overall and your not missing much on these packs. 6/24

64. War of the monsters 7/10

It's an old game and does what it does alright. I wish there was some of different fighting style or something a bit deeper. More destruction and more to the worlds would have been nice. It is an interesting concept for a game that may never be done again but this one is decent enough. 6/27

65. Action Henk- 7.5/10

Actually really like this game, as some of said it does get hard but not unbeatable for most tracks. I'd say it's quite in depth for a butt sliding run and jump game and works qute well. Great with local play as well. 7-1

Main Post Part 1
Main Post Part 2

Game 39: Blue Dragon (~55 hours)
This feels a bit like Final Fantasy for small children. I'm not complaining too much; at it's core, this is an excellent Final Fantasy-style game. The game is epic, my play through lasted about fifty-five hours. The combat is turn-based, and leveling up your character and character class is fun. Best of all about this game, the music is by Nobuo Uematsu. The soundtrack is very good.

The game ceases to impress when you realize it's intended for a younger audience. The visuals are very cartoony. The story isn't nearly as deep as some of Sakaguchi's other games. The heroes of the game are children. It's not made for someone my age.

If you can get past the kid-friendly nature, this is a solid JRPG.
4/5

ghibli99

I'll give this a shot. I'm glad it's not all about the backlog. :)

There's not a lot of thought put into these blurbs... kinda stream-of-consciousness right after finishing them. The scores are how I felt directly after completing them as well. Maybe I'll adjust some of them later after some time to reflect. A lot of the scores skew kinda high, but I've tried to focus on quality titles this year above all else. I've mostly been successful.

Game 1: Tales from the Borderlands (PC) - 11 hours
Awesome game, high production value, great story. Rating: A

Game 2: Pony Island (PC) - 3 hours
Very unique, disturbing, funny, but so-so gameplay-wise. Rating: B

Game 3: Her Story (PC) - 3 hours
Fun to find clips, and payoff at end is haunting. Rating: A-

Game 4: The Room Three (Android) - 7 hours
Best one yet, great puzzles, feels very complete as an experience. Rating: A

Game 5: The Talos Principle (PC) - 24 hours
Mostly good puzzles, but busywork at end, great story. Rating: B+

Game 6: Firewatch (PC) - 4 hours
Loved the story, a bit short, beautiful visuals. Rating: B+

Game 7: Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Vita) - 8 hours
Good gunplay/traversal, excellent visuals, weak story, Vita gimmicks. Rating: B

Game 8: The Witness (PC) - 32 hours
Sublime, meticulous design. A once-in-a-lifetime game. Rating: A+

Game 9: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U) - 29 hours
Amazing game, better than DKCR, fantastic level design. Rating: A

Game 10: Gunman Clive 2 (3DS) - 3 hours
Better than the first game, more challenging, decent replay value. Rating: B

Game 11: That Dragon, Cancer (PC) - 2 hours
Decent narrative, but felt patronizing. Really rough as a game, hard to recommend. Rating: D

Game 12: Sound Shapes (Vita) - 5 hours
Fun, great concept/creativity, a bit short, slightly inexact feeling controls, my first Platinum! Rating: A-

Game 13: Yoshi's Woolly World (Wii U) - 33 hours
Surprising, super-cute, so creative, one of the best OSTs this generation. Rating: A+

Game 14: Superhot (PC) - 9 hours
Great concept, fun challenges, slightly wears out its welcome. Rating: A-

Game 15: Alto's Adventure (Android) - 10 hours
Single IAP is classy, great Journey-like style, challenging goals. Rating: A-

Game 16: Bloodborne (PS4) - 40 hours
Amazing game, second Platinum, best atmosphere, top PS4 title. Rating: A+

Game 17: Bloodborne: The Old Hunters DLC (PS4) - 5 hours
Tough, great DLC, one so-so boss, but a few outstanding bosses. Rating: A

Game 18: Demon's Souls (PS3) - 25 hours
Little rough, but great game, excellent mechanics, top-tier level design. Rating: A-

Game 19: Severed (Vita) - 8 hours
Perfectly suited for the Vita, great style, fun, challenging combat. Rating: A-

Game 20: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4) - 15 hours
Gorgeous visuals, compelling story, perfect end, but dumb collectibles and no campaign skill progression. Rating: A

Game 21: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC) - 53 hours
Bigger than Demon's Souls, really fun, half-baked end areas, excellent design otherwise. Rating: A-

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
300px-PhantasyStarPlus.jpg

Wait, didn't I do this earlier this year? Oh wait! That was the Dreamcast version! Fair game ta count it seperately in my book!

Games Beaten: 32 / 52
Total Playtime: 560:45:29
01 - 27
28 - ??

I really need to finish this! I've been putting it off so much :[
A big chunk of the game really drags so if ya do go back, hopefully ya didn't leave off in such a part!

Skikkiks

Master Post

Game 31: Shadow of the Beast (PS4) | 5 Hours | 05/17/16 | 3/5

It's an ok game. It looks pretty as shit but the actual gameplay is merely alright. Getting hit from behind sucks. Getting hit out of your special attacks suck. Final boss is weird as shit but I don't regret buying it, and the PS4 theme is pretty kickass so yeah, it's coo.

Game 32: Overwatch (PS4) | 80+ Hours | 06/07/16 | 5/5

Note: 40 of those hours were from the one week open beta, I'm counting those hours because the beta was pretty much the full release.

As someone who put nearly 500 hours into
PS3
TF2, it's everything I ever wanted in a new TF2 experience. Fantastic art design, fantastic character design, a fun assortment of maps and game modes, and the general gameplay is so addicting and satisfying. I'll be putting more time into this game, and its become the front runner for my personal GOTY.

Game 33: Valkyrian Chronicles Remastered (PS4) | 28 Hours | 06/08/16 | 5/5

One of my favourite games of last gen, I was excited to play through it again. I finally went through it 100% and got all of the decorations and it was a fun ride. Beautiful art direction with a story that has its moments, a fun take on tactical gaming even if it becomes unbalanced when you learn the Power of the Scout, and a wide variey of characters keeps it at the top of my Games of All Time.

j4Uocxv.png

11h-ish. Brutal Doom mod. Completed the whole game, including Thy Flesh Consumed, in Ultraviolence - had to cheat a bit in the expansion, though. Will settle for Hurt me Plenty for Doom II.

Now this is more like it! In my opinion, Doom is a level design masterclass. Of course it's heavily outdated, but even when it throws you to the lions, even when you open a door and ten imps suddendly appear behind you, even when you feel forced to cheat in order to progress, you never feel the game is taking the piss - you feel it's your fault, you have to git gud and soldier on. Or cheat. But all in good fun.

It's a refreshing take on FPS: it never feels like it takes itself too seriously, yet it doesn't feel juvenile or forced like Shadow Warrior. It's simply violence for the sake of violence, but it "clicks" - and a lot of modern FPSs could learn of it.

Updated OP

Falchion

Original Post

30) Mirror's Edge Catalyst - 11 hours - 6/10
I've been looking forward to this game for years and it didn't let me down. The movement was even better than the first and they did a great job creating a beautiful world to run around in. The story wasn't very good and some of the main characters are pretty unlikable, but gameplay wish it is fantastic and the missions were a lot of fun. I did all the main story, all the side quests, and some of the ambient, open world stuff and I intend to go back and do more for sure.

1SZruRU.png

Game 17: Valkyria Chronicles
PS4 - 46 hours - Beaten 10/06/16 - ★★★★★
Man, this game was great. The way the game was presented was really great. The SRPG map, that turns into a third person camera as you move the characters around, feels like a great step forward for the genre (cue someone telling me some game I've never heard of did it in the 90s).
The story was nothing to write home about but it had its moments. One scene in particular got me a little teary eyed.
I will say that the game balance was a little off, the maps were too large for the limited movement of most classes, so I relied upon my scouts way too much. And getting A-ranks really breaks it as the only requirement is the number of turns it takes, so buffing a scout and rushing the objective is almost always the best option. It's because of this that I'm really disappointed that we only got PSP sequels to the game, and not a big budget home console release to really fine tune the foundation. I'll try VC2 at some point though.
Going for the platinum nearly broke me though, I beat the story at 28 hours so the rest was just trophy farming.

Main post

Now starting up Fire Emblem Fates!

Dryk

Original Post - Part 1
Original Post - Part 2

#15: Shifting World: 10.7 hours
This is a subpar implementation of a very interesting concept. It's a puzzle platformer of sorts, with the gimmick being the ability to press a button and rotate the world 180 degrees and invert solid and empty space. Some blocks exist constantly, some blocks exist constantly until you find the corresponding key, get to the exit door. Sounds great! There's a lot of other elements that either rotate or shift the world and one more that morphs the level layout in another way and they're all really interesting too.

The game falls down on two fronts though. Firstly, you can't see anything. The amount of the map you can see at once isn't very big and the minimap on the bottom screen isn't that helpful. There's lots of getting lost and going in circles at best, and obviously linear levels to help compensate at worst. Secondly the controls. I don't know exactly what it is but the jump button isn't very responsive. I have a feeling, since most of the problems come from jumps across gaps that the game gives a lot less leeway for pressing jump while running off an edge that most other platformers, but whatever it is it's frustrating. Another problem is that when you collect a key the display slows down briefly but the game keeps running. I got stuck on the last level for hours because there's a key above a spike pit and I kept teleporting into the spikes.

Overall, don't regret playing it but it's wasted potential.

Preview: I'm currently also playing Rayman Legends, and on the handheld front I'm probably going to give Ghost Recon Shadow Wars a go. The eShop sale might throw a spanner into that though we'll see.

lame gag

Banned
Game #112: Punch-Out!! (NES) - ★★★★★★★★★★

Well, I've gotten as far as I can lol. I recently managed to get past Soda Popinski for the first time, and after some effort I managed to over time get through Bald Bull, Don Flamenco, Mr. Sandman, and Super Macho Man. These were all super difficult, but eventually surmountable. Mike Tyson though? Fuck him. And I know that it's Mr. Dream in the version I played, but that's no fun, so I'm pretending it's Mike Tyson. No matter how hard I try, I just cannot get past him, and I am okay with this.

Isn't the point of this thread to play 52 games and BEAT them in 1 year? Why are you adding this if you haven't beaten it?

JarrodL

Isn't the point of this thread to play 52 games and BEAT them in 1 year? Why are you adding this if you haven't beaten it?

How do I know when I've completed a game?
That's up to you, it could be completing the game or playing 10hrs+ if it has no ending or a MP game. You can do replays, as long as all the games are completed in 2016.

If I can't beat the game for whatever reason (it's too hard, it's too boring for me, it can't be "beaten" by definition), but I still sunk a number of hours into it - I'd personally still count it.

Sendou

Previous years: 2014 // 52 games ||| 2015 // 16 games

1_lisu0j2r.png

Life is Strange January 6th

Really impactful game. Story goes places and I love the dynamic between Max and Chloe. This game came out of nowhere and it was a pleasure to see the story develop over the episodes. Gameplay isn't anything to write home about but it works. I think they could have done a lot more with time travel puzzles than they did. Yet I enjoyed the story so much that I wasn't really bothered by the lackluster gameplay. Can't wait to see what Life is Strange 2 will be like.

2_mp1lskaf.png

Metroid Prime March 28th

Finally got around to playing this trilogy everyone raves about. Also it is my first entry into the series! First of all it needs to be said that what Retro Studios managed to achieve with GameCube hardware is simply put amazing. Considering that they had to reimagine what Metroid means when bringing it to 3D and having it come together this well is just nothing short of a miracle. There really is no weak parts. The atmosphere, gameplay, music and environments all come together perfectly. Finally I understand what it is about this game that people love so.

3_mp2tej61.png

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes June 4th

Jumped straight to MP2 after finishing the first game. It's very much more of the same. The praises for MP1 mostly apply here as well. Especially the music. Oh god the music is so good. That said I didn't like it as much as I liked the first game. Most notably some bosses are duds and the pacing could have been improved.

4_80daysqbjfr.png

80 Days June 30th

Ventured around the world in co-op with someone. Nothing quite like this out there. I really liked the concept of being able to choose your own route around the globe and found out that it also works rather well in co-op. Presentation is very minimalistic and it's hard to recommend this game if you are afraid of text. During the longer trips the game tells you mini stories that we found out are often not relevant at all and feel like a chore. The overarching story on the other hand felt a lot more solid very largely thanks to the original novel I think. The steampunk twist was interesting from time to time but it didn't add overly much it felt like. Extra mention for being one of the only games in existence where you can visit Finland!

5_mm3d0kjm4.png

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D July 4th

A game that took me over a year to complete. Also the last 3D Zelda game I hadn't played! Not your average Nintendo game. It felt like developers gained unrestricted freedom to take-off from usual conventions and put whatever crazy ideas they had into the game. The story itself is a lot darker than what I have come to expect from Zelda games. It was so refreshing to play a Nintendo game like this. I wish one day we can have another bigger budget title from Nintendo with a similiar darker atmosphere.

Especially with the remake the actual game holds up well being over 15 years old with some exceptions. I think Nintendo didn't quite have the budget to spare to make Majora's Mask a full game and compensated the lack of lenght with designing the game in a way that encourages replaying content. Can't say I'm a fan of that at all. Also the much talked about side quests were somewhat of a disappointed. I'm sure at the time they were revolutionary but they felt hopelessly outdated by today's standards.

6_owm2sml.png

Overwatch July 7th

Something I'll be playing long into the future if Blizzard's post-launch support is even half of what I've heard. Of course the game itself feels heavily inspired by Team Fortress 2 among other titles but the level of polish here is just on another level. Heroes all feel fun to play on their own ways and are very varied. Visual and sound design are also on a level I'm only used to finding in Nintendo games. Certainly it's not a game that's perfectly realized how it is now but the potential is big. At its best with a good group it's one of my favorite multiplayer games ever.

7_gtavznbut.png

Grand Theft Auto V July 15th

It's easy to see why GTA V is one of the most expensive games made to date. The scale in this game is quite spectacular. That said there's a lot of content that I didn't really feel like doing even if it was there. Lots of different kind of collectables apparently to act as filler. It's kind of a shame since while I wanted to experience all the stories I didn't want it enough to go on a massive collectable hunt. They also make you drive a lot apparently mostly to add in artificial length to the story mode. I liked the writing even if dialling it back just a bit would have helped give the game some variability.

I really like what they did with 3 main characters. It makes a lot of sense for a game like this. I hope other developers take lessons. They also managed to make all 3 of them distinct and interesting. No complaints as far as graphics and soundtrack is concerned. Good stuff all around. It was also my pleasure to find out that after the turd that was GTA IV on PC the port was a lot more solid this time around.

8_boxboys0k80.png

BOXBOY! July 16th

Nintendo games don't get much more simplistic from this. It has its charm but I found the actual gameplay lacking. Now I'm not the biggest puzzle game fan in the world so I might be biased. In my personal experience like 3/4th of the puzzles in the game were no-brainers and the rest didn't test your wits in an interesting way. The game encourages trial & error in a way that doesn't feel rewarding. Presentation was mediocre. Nothing offensively bad but nothing good either. Kind of rushed it towards the end just to finish it and that usually tells everything you need to know about the experience you had. Not going to play the sequel.

9_superhotuvjtk.png

SUPERHOT July 17th

When I played the demo of this game I fell love in love with the concept. The final product is a good game no doubt about that but not a great one. The core gameplay is so compelling but in my experience it has two faults. First of all it's hard to keep track of your surroundings and as a result many of your attempts end at getting shot in the back which I don't think is very fun. Additionally connecting shots can be hard due to the lack of movement because you don't know how fast the enemy is moving exactly. So many good things to talk about too. The overall atmosphere and story makes the game so unnerving in the best possible way. Some Steam reviews had an issue with the lenght but to be honest I was done before the game ended. Actually I lost progress at the final level so I decided to stop there. Might return when I get my first VR headset though. The game seems perfect for that.

10_borderlandtalesgbx08.png

Tales from the Borderlands August 18th

I had such a blast playing this game. There's still a soft spot in my heart to some of the games Telltale puts out. Usual gripes regarding their games still apply but I don't think they need to be repeated. Where it matters this game shines - really funny and interesting story. Special mention goes to the soundtrack as well which they really nailed.

11_firewatchd8z6q.png

Firewatch August 30th

This game really spooked me! Somehow the isolation and the
feeling of being watched
got to me. Ending was different from what I expected but I don't really have strong feelings about it one way or another. I think it fits the game quite well. Really gorgeous game. Since Wind Waker HD I haven't been compelled to take pictures in the game but Firewatch's nature was too pretty to resist. Certainly one of the best walking simulators I have played.

12_fatesbirthright11psz.png

Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright September 12th

Being a big fan of Awakening I had big expectations for this game. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as Awakening but I still had some jolly good time. Some gripes include uneven difficulty curve and dumb story. Yet Fire Emblem series will always have a special place in my heart and this game does nothing to change that. I might return to play the other campaigns later.

13_nsmb2e3plo.png

New Super Mario Bros. 2 September 16th

It's a Mario game alright. I liked Wii U's NSMB games more. This one lacks challenge. Yet it's very polished and I enjoyed my time with it. The coin gimmick wasn't integrated in any meaningful way.

14_growhomezfuq0.png

Grow Home September 21st

This game took me by a surprise! At first I had no idea what to do but slowly I started to understand what was going on. Really surprised to play such a "lowkey" title from Ubisoft. Actual controls didn't always feel the best but I soon learned to play around them. Some parts of the game really gave me "Nintendo-vibes".

15_yoshikxpka.png

Yoshi's Woolly World November 2nd

Played this one in co-op. Such a cute game! One of the best artstyles in any games ever. Platforming is solid as you'd expect from a Nintendo game. Finding collectables was fun for most parts but you could notice they designed some of the collectables in a way that they're very hard to get in the first playthrough so longevity to the game. Not a fan of this kind of design but this is a very small gripe.

16_doomsfr2y.png

DOOM (2016) November 3rd

What a contrast to Yoshi. Just gore for the sake of gore. Feels like the kind of game that realized that sometimes making the best game means looking at the past. Doesn't try to be something it isn't but just offers fun FPS campaign. Multiplayer feels like a bad joke relative to how much attention it got pre-release. Definitely one of my favorite games of the year.

17_hitmanzdyfg.png

Hitman - Season 1 November 23rd

Tried getting into Hitman with Blood Month in the past but with no success. This game on the other hand made me a fan. The scale of the levels and the possibilities developers have put in make it a very exciting game to explore and play. Really enjoyed the variety of locale in the first season. Think my favorite was the last mission set in Hokkaido. Overall I liked the writing. Good balance between jokes and "serious" stuff. Will probably keep replaying missions and doing elusive targets leading towards Season 2 launch.

18_krivfinalh5y01.png

Kentucky Route Zero - Act IV November 23rd

One of those experiences that can't very well be explained with words. So instead I'll just say I liked what I played and I wholeheartedly recommend KRZ. Not bothered by the long wait times between episodes personally. Huge huge props for perfect 21:9 support.

19_dishonored2y9jvo.png

Dishonored 2 December 7th

Finished a non-lethal (but not particularly stealthy) playthrough on Hard with Emily. Might be my favorite game of this year so far. Heard that port isn't particularly good and while that is true I'd say it was definitely playable for me. Although I guess my standards aren't very high in this regard or I might have found it more of an issue. Actual gameplay was just good. Nothing crazy and I felt like I limited myself going non-lethal. Where the real money is level design. Seriously the mid-point of the game has some of the greatest video game levels I have ever played. Although it's sad to see that towards the end some of the levels felt a bit uninspired in comparision. As you'd expect from Dishonored 1 the different ways you can tackle obstacles and targets is really interesting at its best.

20_insideewk9n.png

Inside December 10th

For once the endless hype on this forum regarding a game was 100% justified. Inside doesn't try to do many things but what it does it does very well. I have to say on record I wasn't a fan of LIMBO. Yet Inside really struck a chord with me. Perfect controls, incredibly artstyle and sound design really make the experience for me. Don't want to spoil anything too much but it's the kind of "horror" I really like. Props for good achievement design too.

21_oristk8t.png

Ori and the Blind Forest December 16th

Another game I had heard high praises about. Absolutely justified once again. Even outside of the obvious that are gorgeous artstyle and beautiful soundtrack this game is such a well controlling platformer. I'm not going to lie there was a certain difficulty bump that made me quite frustrated and I think the save system is simply a poor design. Yet this game makes you want to forgive those faults for everything it gets right is plenty. Can't wait to see what Moon Studios will do next.

22_gotodka5.png

Game of Thrones - A Telltale Games Series December 19th

Already shelved this once but went back to finish the last two remaining episodes. It's quite the contrast from Tales from the Borderlands, a game which I dearly enjoyed. I wouldn't say it's a bad game but a tad uninspired at times. Feels like they at the same time weren't able to fully utilize GoT world and were chained by it. Putting in characters from the TV show to the game make for nice trailers and screenshots but didn't always make sense. Also they really need to figure out some technical aspects regarding their games. One guy doing animation is not enough for these kind of games. Some scenes turned to comical because of how janky it looked. Regardless I'd probably play a sequel to this game.

23_overcookedxiks4.png

Overcooked December 24th

Finished in 2 player co-op! I really didn't expect to like the game as much as I did. Pretty much just binged it in a couple of sittings all of the DLC and achievements included. It feels very rewarding when you co-operate well to make efficient work flows. The style is charming and fits the game well. I think it could have been just a bit harder but then again for this kind of game it not being too hard works as well. Also really liked THE BEAST.

Shelved: Broforce, Reigns

It's been kind of a slow year for me so far, but I've still managed to beat 42 games. It doesn't feel like I've even played that many to be honest. Some have been pretty short, though.

I haven't had the energy or interest in gaming that I used to have, and spend more time colouring or watching TV.

Khrae

Original Post http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190946675&postcount=188

Still picking away at a multitude of long RPGs and dipping my toe into mp games such as Overwatch I haven't had a great deal to report for a while.

Have pretty much stopped playing The Secret World so after 60hrs spent and on Chapter 2, I will add this as my game #8 for the year.

Game 9 I will set as Total War: Warhammer Another 60 hrs sunk into this and have beaten the campaign a few times as most of the factions, just the formality of crushing the remaining resistance as Chaos to do for them

Dryk

It's still called a challenge and the word "completed" is mentioned.
It is a personal challenge tho, so it shouldn't matter.
I think the idea is to play each game until you get to a point where you are satisfied with how much time you've put into it. For some (like me) that means completion, for others it can mean getting to the point where they rage quit. If you put the game down and think "I'm done" instead of just drifting away it counts.

Spyware

I think the idea is to play each game until you get to a point where you are satisfied with how much time you've put into it. For some (like me) that means completion, for others it can mean getting to the point where they rage quit. If you put the game down and think "I'm done" instead of just drifting away it counts.
Well... mostly I agree with you. I feel there is a time/progression limit for the unfinished/unfinishable games.
I play some games for 5-20 mins before removing them from my backlog due to not liking them. I gave Ittle Dew about 20 minutes, Daxter about 10 and Tobe's Vertical Adventures about 5 mins (one level) before throwing the games in a mental trash bin. They are no longer in my backlog. I do not list these games here because for me that would be utterly ridiculous. What's challenging about starting 52 games to look at them for 10 mins?
If you play a game up until the last boss and can't beat it because the game is way too hard or oops you didn't grind enough during the game so the boss is a wall then sure. I happily accept that as "beaten" for this challenge. But if you list Goat Simulator after trying it for 7 minutes I will never take any of your posts seriously again.

septicore

OP

Game 34: Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS) 05/06/16 - 09/06/16 8 Hours
I didn't realise I've already played this until I was about an hour into the game but I didn't mind because Kirby games are fun and relaxing to play, and I don't like to replay games unless there's a sequel coming out that took many years later to come out like the Zero Escape series. The game is fun and kinda relaxing to play but my OCD on a certain collectable kick in as they unlock extra stages to play, so I probably took longer than usual to complete but at least I didn't go for every sticker collectable or play the other game modes as I've played them before already. I really enjoyed the unique Supernova ability you get in this game but in the next installment of Kirby, it looks like he'll have the ability to control a mecha robot which can copy enemy abilities which make it even better than the unique Supernova ability in this game. Really looking forward to Kirby: Planet Robobot which comes out really soon.

Game 35: Broforce (PC) 11/06/16 - 12/06/16 6.6 Hours
This is felt like the most American game I've ever played that I could be screaming out "FUCK YEAH AMERICA" while playing it, although I ain't American while my co-op partner is American, he also agreed with what I said about this game being so American. Everything about the game is fun and awesome but the random deaths from explosions or falling debris that kept killing us all the time.

OP

Game 16: Kirby: Planet Robobot (3DS) - 6 Hrs 25 Mins (6/12/2016)

# Another great Kirby game. Then again, the platformer Kirby games are generally the most consistent games Nintendo produces nowadays. Hal Labs did another great job. I loved the Mech they gave Kirby, but wish more of his powers affected it. The level design was great. Music was awesome as always. Presentation overall is outstanding, definitely one of the best looking 3DS games that uses the 3D effect well. I'd say this was better than Triple Deluxe by a bit, but both are really great games. The final boss was epic as well, even compared to typical epic Kirby final bosses in my opinion. Definitely worth it and I'm definitely going to play some of the extra modes.

Zero-Time-Dilemma-Dated-June-28.jpg

Game 17: Zero Time Dilemma (3DS/Vita/PC) - 22 Hrs 16 Mins (6/30/2016)

# Man, what a roller coaster it was to get this game, finally, and play it itself! It definitely had more tension than VLR and I loved and caught all the references to the past two Zero Escape games. The ending was enough for me to be decently satisfied and puzzles were, overall, good. Characters were awesome, even if Q Team wasn't that great to me. Presentation was probably the worst thing, but I'll deal with it. So far, this is my GOTY. I'm really glad me and others in the Zero Escape fanbase helped make this happen along with Uchikoshi and his team. Definitely one of my favorite gaming trilogies ever!

Game 18: Muramasa Rebirth (Vita) - 8 Hrs 36 Mins (7/11/2016)

# Great little hack and slash, brawling side-scroller here. Loved this game on the Wii and I love it on the Vita as well. The fact that it's portable and the art style stands out on the Vita's screen made really love this game more. It's made me realize I need to beat Dragon's Crown soon too... Anyway, I loved this game and I might try some of the DLC if I get to it.

images

Game 19: Rhythm Heaven Megamix (3DS) - 10 Hrs 30 Mins (7/12/2016)

# Absolutely loved this game. The way rhythm is mixed with Warioware-style minigames is just the best part of the series. Definitely the best way to get into the series since it's a collection from all the games in the series along with great new minigames. The story was fine and seemed like it was there to pad the games length a bit. I'll probably keep coming to the game ever once in a while. Definitely a game to check out if you love rhythm games.

Genei-Ibun-Roku-FE-Dated-West.jpg

Game 20: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (Wii U) - 57 Hrs 2 Mins (7/17/2016)

# Right now, this is probably my GOTY so far. I definitely loved the characters and battle system with interactions being entertaining enough to keep me liking most of the characters. The dungeons were definitely more interesting than the Persona games since that was what this game obviously took interest in being like. Definitely an Atlus RPG from the way it plays. I liked the soundtrack, but it's definitely J-pop sounding. The presentation was really great too with the art, visuals, UI, and menus. The game definitely has style. Definitely worth playing if you are willing to get it and have a Wii U in my opinion.

The-Legend-of-Zelda-Majoras-Mask-3D-Artwork.jpg

Game 21: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS) - 30 Hrs 2 Mins (7/21/2016)

# The last 3D Zelda I needed to beat and it's my favorite now. The sidequest, for Zelda, are the best and very memorable. The darker tone was done very well too, especially in comparison to Twilight Princess. The story is really great and characters are easily more memorable than most of the Zelda characters in other games. Music is great as usual and the graphic upgrade was done well. Just an awesome game and one of my favorite games in the series.

fbook.jpg

Game 22: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS) - 12 Hrs 38 Mins (7/22/2016)

# A pretty good Zelda. I'm kind of in the middle about this game. The story was alright, the new renting system was interesting and definitely something I liked. There just wasn't as much character to the game as most of the Zelda games I have previously played. I still like it though, just not as much as other Zeldas. Music was really great as usual and the presentation was a bit iffy for me personally. Overall, I enjoyed my time with this Zelda, but I probably won't come back to it anytime remotely soon.

Miku-DX-3DS-Dated-WW.jpg

Game 23: Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX (3DS) - 9 Hrs 58 Mins (7/26/2016)

# Played all of the songs on Button Mode and most on tap mode while playing minigames like reversi and Puyo Puyo. Like the game, but I feel better about Button Mode than Tap Mode. Definitely a great game that I will come back to every once and a while. The song list was great, but I think I liked Project Diva F 2nd's better overall.

watdaeff4

Updated Main Post

28. Dark Souls - XB1 BC
Completed Main Story + DLC: 6/9/16
Time: ~40 hours
Rating: 4.5/5

This was my first time playing Dark Souls 1. Praise the BC Sun.
As with the other two Soulsborne games I've played, it's a great experience. As others have said, the last sections aren't quite as good as the beginning, but still a great game. It made me want to jump right into Dark Souls III (which I have a bit)

29. Transistor - PS4
Completed Main Story: 6/10/16
Time: 4-5 hours
Rating: 4/5

Got this on PS+ last year but never started it. After playing through Bastion last month, I decided it was time to finally play this. It's a good game, I liked Bastion better, but it is still good in it's own right and I appreciate them trying to change their formula up a little bit.

30. Halo 5 (Replay) - XB1
Completed Main Campaign on Heroic: 6/13/16.
Time: ~6 hours
Rating: 4.5/5

I beat this on Normal when it first came out, decided to replay it again on Heroic. The campaign does have some negative moments (Warden fights), but it is still a great campaign and I think gets a bit of undue negative criticism.

Still on a good pace for the year. A subset of my goal this year was to play through several of the RPGs (of all types) in my backlog. If you count Destiny and Division as RPGs (which Division does promote itself as one) my RPG total is up to 9 completed for the year.

Currently playing:
Rainbow Six Vegas
Dark Souls III
Overwatch

Thinking of playing Far Cry Primal or Gears of War 3 next while playing on my current games.

Auctopus

Original Post

19downwelld4l2l.jpg

Pros

Gameplay: It's simple, it's satisfying and it's responsive. It can't really get better.
Aesthetic: At first, I'll admit I hated it but as I progressed through the levels, I learned how important the minimalistic approach was.
Palettes: I'm just a sucker for the range of colours, they're beautiful.

Cons

There's not really much to hate about it, it's pretty much a perfect game.

10/10

20bloodwineq2y9a.jpg

Pros

Art/Level Design: CD Projekt have gone all out and show off what raw talent their team has. Breathtaking vistas, beautiful colours and incredibly nuanced understandings of natural landscapes.
Story: An excellent narrative full of great characters to see Geralt off on his last adventure.
Content/Price: As always, CDPR just offering the best deal around. This game is now gargantuan and I can't see myself ever finishing off everything B&W offers.

Cons

Bugs: I know the vanilla game was quite bad but there are some really disappointing bugs in this expansion, some that require you to re-load the game to keep playing properly. Some have even returned from the vanilla game that had been previously patched out. It's very disappointing.

9/10

21overwatchnqyk4.jpg

Pros

Gameplay: Moment-to-moment gameplay feels excellent, very satisfying.
Variety: Sometimes I feel like each hero could have a fully fledged SP FPS Campaign to themselves. Picking a different hero makes the game feels completely different.
Art design: Just beautiful designs for environments and characters, only faltering on some of the weaker skins.

Cons

Barebones: I would argue there isn't a whole lot of content in that Ranked Mode is missing. This means the only option is to really play PUGs which can be very frustrating and draining.

8/10

22dollyviaix.jpg

Not going to give this one a score as it lasted less than 10 minutes but it's a very lovely platform with nice controls that's well worth checking out.

Think SMB x Journey.

hangdang

Banned
Claiming this post and will update when I get off my phone and back to my PC.

1) Undertale (PC)
2) Ryse: Son of Rome (PC)
3) The Witness (PC)
4) Halo 5
5) Ori and the Blind Forest(XBox One)(Beat PC in 2015)
6) Firewatch (PC)
7) SOMA (PC)
8) Just Cause 3 (PC)
9) God of War 3: Remastered
10) Unravel (PC)
11) Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (PC)
12) Evoland
13) Twilight Princess HD
14) The Division (PC)
15) Rainbow Six: Siege (Unlocked all operators, played a lot of hours) (PC)
16) Final Fantasy X HD (PS4)
17) Dark Souls 3 (PC)
18) Ratchet and Clank 2016
19) Uncharted 4
20) Doom 2016 (PC)
21) Severed
22) The Evil Within (PC)
23) Rise of the Tomb Raider (PC)

Wazzy

Banned
TmCiq4q.jpg

Game #2: The Legend Of Zelda: Triforce Heroes - [Complete]
I'm finally done the story. I wasn't really a fan of this game, especially the single player. The online was a bit more fun when I gave it a try a couple times but otherwise I beat the game using single player control. I found some of the level's infuriating with single player and overall the story is dull for a Zelda game. The costumes were fun but I don't enjoy the game enough to collect them all. I would give this a 7 out of 10.

CDPRz8Y.jpg

Game #7: Fire Emblem Fates Revelations - 17 Hours and 39 Minutes[Complete]
I enjoyed this a lot more than Birthright and the ending was more satisfying. The extra story content was nice too and having characters from both sides was fun to mix in battle and with the marriage system.

7CiKAeT.jpg

Game #8: Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - 46 Hours and 56 Minutes[Complete]
I hadn't played Tactics Ogre in years, pretty much since it first came out for PSP. I decided to revisit it due to purchasing it awhile ago when it was on sale and not remembering much about the game. I just finished it a couple days ago and I love the crap out of this game. It scratched the FF Tactics and SRPG itch I've been having since completing FE:Revelations and the music and art style is gorgeous. 9/10 for me and I might finish CODA even though the final level is like 100+ floors lol

aWP1bt9.jpg

Game #9: Tales From The Borderlands: Episode 1-5 [In Progress]
Started this with a group of friends and we completed episode 1. I really like the humour of the game even though it's pretty brutal at points. I've never played borderlands but this game is making me want to.

2ScRWEe.jpg

Game #10: Persona Q [In Progress]
I had this on my previous years but didn't finish it both times so hopefully this time I will. I think I'm still at the second dungeon but I'll have to check.

Original Post

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Game #29
Call of Duty Advanced Warfare
XBone
Played through the campaign because this has been sitting at my house for over a year. It pissed me off. I hate the way it glorifies PMCs. Its so fucking stupid. PMCs are worthless lazy fucks who make our job harder.

Game #30
Sunset Overdrive, Xbone
Man I love this game. I dont know what took me so long to jump into it, but holy shit. The style, the OST, the gameplay, everything about this game is fucking fantastic.

Game #31
Shenmue, Dreamcast
Played this game through for the first time in 15 years. Man, its still so fucking good. Gonna jump into the sequel on Xbox soon.

Falchion

Original Post

31) Sunset Overdrive - 13 hours - 6/14
Wow, this has been in my backlog forever and I have no clue why I waited this long since it's exactly my type of game. It exceeded my wildest expectations and is probably the most fun I've ever had in a game. Everything about it is a blast and the traversal was incredibly rewarding as I got better at grinding, bouncing, gliding, and wall running across the city.

OT

Thanks to Dan and the Giantbomb crew I played about 20+ hours of Pocket Card Jockey. Best $7 I think I ever spent. I will be going back to this again and again. Its is just so much fun and a great time waster. Yes it takes a while to understand how it works but man once it clicks it just rocks. I HIGHLY recommend this to anyone with a 3DS. (Oh and DO NOT skip the tutorial.)

Well... mostly I agree with you. I feel there is a time/progression limit for the unfinished/unfinishable games.
I play some games for 5-20 mins before removing them from my backlog due to not liking them. I gave Ittle Dew about 20 minutes, Daxter about 10 and Tobe's Vertical Adventures about 5 mins (one level) before throwing the games in a mental trash bin. They are no longer in my backlog. I do not list these games here because for me that would be utterly ridiculous. What's challenging about starting 52 games to look at them for 10 mins?
If you play a game up until the last boss and can't beat it because the game is way too hard or oops you didn't grind enough during the game so the boss is a wall then sure. I happily accept that as "beaten" for this challenge. But if you list Goat Simulator after trying it for 7 minutes I will never take any of your posts seriously again.

Goat Simulator was a huge exception for me, though I probably should just list it as null like I did the various Stretchmo "packs" as being four #19s instead of #19, #20, #21, and #22. Part of why I listed it was a combination of me having a miserable time with it, and me having paid money to play it. I think also unlike with Daxter or Ittle Dew, the game doesn't really have an "end" point since it's a physics-based game that you just kind of mess around in.

That said, I did end up updating it, which was slightly tedious since I had to update each entry individually. :v It does give me a good way to talk about Bad Rats though, because I'm not playing that game anymore, fuck that game

Spyware

Goat Simulator was a huge exception for me, though I probably should just list it as null like I did the various Stretchmo "packs" as being four #19s instead of #19, #20, #21, and #22. Part of why I listed it was a combination of me having a miserable time with it, and me having paid money to play it. I think also unlike with Daxter or Ittle Dew, the game doesn't really have an "end" point since it's a physics-based game that you just kind of mess around in.

That said, I did end up updating it, which was slightly tedious since I had to update each entry individually. :v It does give me a good way to talk about Bad Rats though, because I'm not playing that game anymore, fuck that game

I have completed it by getting all cheevos (and going back to it as they add more to keep it at 100 % completed, but I've fallen behind now. Gotta get my SO to buy more DLC for it since I play it via Family Sharing). Even if that seems like something one wouldn't like to do, just simply exploring the whole world space would at least be my minimum criteria for counting it. Or just not count it at all since it's not something you want to actually experience, as you did now ;)

I have completed it by getting all cheevos (and going back to it as they add more to keep it at 100 % completed, but I've fallen behind now. Gotta get my SO to buy more DLC for it since I play it via Family Sharing). Even if that seems like something one wouldn't like to do, just simply exploring the whole world space would at least be my minimum criteria for counting it. Or just not count it at all since it's not something you want to actually experience, as you did now ;)

That's actually a good point, I never thought about it that way. I might actually trudge through it just to do a similar experience. 'Cause it's like, I don't hate the game, I just didn't get the humor out of it that I see on YouTube; it's a great watch, but maybe watching it dulled me to its zaniness. :p

Master Post

bqCjwgO.png

Game 26: The Unfinished Swan - 2.5 hours - June 16th, 2016
I came into The Unfinished Swan expecting something totally different than what I got. To be honest, I'm not totally sure what I thought I was going to get, but it wasn't this. But shattered expectations are often a good thing, and that was the case here. Playing this game is something akin to playing a storybook, an experience that I don't think I have ever had in a video game. I'm not exactly sure if a kid would be able to make it through this, but this seems like the kind of cute story you'd share with your own kid. Overall, the puzzles and flow of the game was pretty easy and I only got stuck once, but other than that, it was smooth sailing all the way.
Should I play The Unfinished Swan? Get a cup of hot chocolate and a blanket before you do.

Zareka

Master post.

Game 18 - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD

N5XM5t0.jpg

I don't think I ever played this game all the way through after first finishing it back in 2006, but god damn I freaking love this game. I'd forgotten just how much I loved it. As much as Wind Waker will forever be my favourite in the series, Twilight Princess has the best dungeons, no contest. The combat is the best it's ever been too, though I wish more - no, ALL - of the hidden moves were mandatory since they'd be able to incorporate them better into the enemies. The story was actually pretty good too and I don't normally find myself getting super engrossed in Zelda stories. Dat ending.

This, along with the other Zelda remakes, have seriously reignited my love for the series. I've always loved it but I'm appreciating the games so much more now that I'm older. I absolutely cannot wait for Breath of the Wild on NX.

Game 19 - New Style Boutique 2: Fashion Forward - 25 hours-ish

inMy4MK.png

I was convinced these games were shovelware after seeing download cards for the first in stores a few years ago, but that's far from the truth. Now, I love customisation in games, especially character customisation. I spend tons of time in MMOs getting my characters outfits perfect and take way too long creating characters in the first place before getting to the actual game. So an entire game devoted to decking out characters in new clothes, with new hairstyles and new makeup? Right up my alley. There's a massive breadth of stuff to choose from and even 25 hours in I've barely scratched the surface. The game constantly piles content on as you progress through the games narrative, to the point where I was baffled at just how much the game had. I seriously feel like I've just started even seeing the credits roll. The visual style is nice and cute too.

A really refreshing, different experience. I'm extremely glad I decided to try out the demo on a whim. And can I just say how much I love the boxart? It's so good.

Game 20 - Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - Around 40 hours

uyurL97.jpg

THE MOMENT OF TRUTH. I've been waiting on this game since, well, I finished Awakening. It wasn't announced then, sure, but I was incredibly excited for the next Fire Emblem game regardless of what it was. This had a lot of hype to live up to.

And you know what? After a weird start, it did. It's different from Awakening in some ways, which threw me off. For example, I really got into loop of endlessly reclassing my units in Awakening to eventually create a stupidly powerful army. You can't really do that in Fates, which makes it feel more...linear? Sure you can boost your units beyond the level cap with certain seals, but it's more difficult to reclass ad nauseam now, which made it feel like there was a definite end I'd eventually hit with all my units.

But, you know, that's fine. I'm totally happy with a more linear experience. In fact, I'm glad Fates is like this, because it doesn't automatically make Awakening the 'inferior' game. Just different. I can play both and not feel like I'm missing out on anything going back to Awakening. Great!

The story was pretty generic, sure, but I still got into it. I maybe didn't enjoy the characters as much as Awakening, but I did still like almost all of them. My biggest worry here would be that, due to splitting Fates into 2 games and a DLC, it'd feel lesser or maybe shorter than I expected, but that wasn't the case. Birthright on its own really did feel like an entire game on par with Awakening, and if Birthright + Revelations turn out to be the same I'll be incredibly happy with my Special Edition purchase.

I'm getting reeeal lazy with my write ups now. I really should aim to post this stuff right after finishing games instead of a month after when the hype is down. Also I could do with actually working on real headers. I've had games 10 and onwards stick to a 215 height but the lengths are all over the place, and it's starting to look ugly. Meh. Maybe next year.

Oreoleo

I'm getting reeeal lazy with my write ups now. I really should aim to post this stuff right after finishing games instead of a month after when the hype is down

I had this last year. Would wait til the end of the month to post my updates and the typing and formatting the updates ended up being more of a drag than playing 52 games. This year I've been trying to update ASAP after finishing a game, has made the whole process much more enjoyable.

Master Post

neIwgPq.png

Game 27: Theme Hospital - 12 hours - June 16th, 2016
I never played this game as a kid, but I saw the Bullfrog Bundle on sale on GOG, and it reminded me of other games from my childhood, so I just had to throw some hours into it. I absolutely adored playing this game. It's quirky. It's goofy. It's actually a little difficult. It just has a soul that a lot of other modern simulation/management games don't. More games (and not just sim/management games) should look back at this era of games and think about how to make games funny again. Not just fun, but funny. It's a quality severely lacking today. Although I've enjoyed my time, I don't really have patience to finish all the levels all the way through, especially since the DOS box thing that it's in keeps chugging my computer. But overall, this was a fun return to the games of yore.
Should I play Theme Hospital? Without a doubt.

Dryk

Original Post - Part 1
Original Post - Part 2

#16: Rayman Legends: 13.6 hours
I should probably leave more time before I type this up but fuck it. I quit Rayman Legends after about 20 attempts at 8-Bit Orchestral Chaos (which can fuck right off). Other than that though great game!

I find comparing it to Rayman Origins really interesting. A lot of the levels in Rayman Origins could be played two ways. Exploring and getting the lums and other assorted doodads, or running straight through with an amazing sense of flow for the time trials. In Legends those concepts are split out into their own levels and I dunno if I like that as much. But the level design in general is still great, the gameplay in general is still great. The musical levels are amazing, and a logical conclusion of the aforementioned hold right concepts from Origins.

Preview: Playing Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars on 3DS, new PC/Wii U game is undecided as usual.

Main Post Part 1
Main Post Part 2

Game 40: Half-Life: Blue Shift (3 1/2 hours)
This game is interesting from a historical perspective, as it's one of the earliest things Gearbox Software worked on. As a game though, it's a serviceable expansion pack, and not much more. If you've played the original Half-Life, this game isn't covering a lot of new ground. The AI is pretty stupid. There was a scientist who was following me at one point. Right before we reached the destination, he turned around and ran all the way back to the starting point. Only play this if you're a big Half- Life fan.
3/5

Kirby's Dream Land 3 (~6 hours)
This is an extremely generic 2D platform game. As someone who thinks Kirby's Dream Land 2 is one of the greatest 2D platform games ever made, this is disappointing. The levels are really just throwing enemy after enemy your way until you make it to the end of the level. There's hardly anything in the way of puzzle-solving. The bosses and the music are the best parts.
2/5

Game #1 : The Wolf Among Us - 8 Hours - Great story, I wasn't sure to play another telltale title but this is worth it
Game #2: Danganronpa 2 - 29 Hours - Good sequel to the first chapter
Game #3: Mad Max - 20 Hours - Good batman-clone, a little too much farming for scraps
Game #4: Batman Arkham Knight- 28 Hours - Nice conclusion to the trilogy
Game #5: Fire Emblem Awakening- 20-30 Hours - Great tactical game
Game #6: Dragonball Xenoverse- 11 Hours - I don't know, the idea was nice, but I found it a spamfest
Game #7: Rise Of The Tomb Raider- 11 Hours - Same as the first
Game #8: Ori And The Blind Forest- 6 hours
Game #9: Rainbow Six Vegas 2 - 8 Hours
Game #10: Westerado - 3 Hours
Game #11: Zero Time Dilemma - 23 Hours
Game #12: Grim Dawn - 24 Hours
Game #13: Invisible Inc. - 5 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom