• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

jblank83

Some things will probably get tedious:
- Weapon degradation
- Needing arrows

Should add an unlimited version of basic arrows or something.

GiantBomb said Nintendo showed some website an unlimited torch item.

So unlimited items are a possibility. However you probably have to work for them through the shrines or buying things in towns or crafting.

Yeah, there's definitely not going to be any hand-holding markers or waypoints in this game.

zelda_zpskpfpdoai.jpg

This happened once and then didn't get repeated. It's a nudge, not a constant irritation.

Had it on in the background while doing other stuff. Looked pretty amazing to be honest. Nintendo have for once exceeded (rather than just met) my expectations. Hope the final package ends up playing as well as it looked. If so it'll be one of my few day one purchases. Game of the show for sure.

Effect

I think this one should be added to the list in the opening post as well. Was originally posted in the Treehouse Live thread. It's the Dark Souls "You Died" version.

FBqMTYb.gif

Eh that general feel of it in the OP seems way to puffed up. Like did that guy play the game, or is this just what he got from watching the streams?

It's like he was having a religious experience.

Chaos17

I think this one should be added to the list in the opening post as well. Was originally posted in the Treehouse Live thread. It's the Dark Souls "You Died" version.

FBqMTYb.gif

It's in there but I couldn't find the one with the little guardian who almost killed Link.

Chaos17

Eh that general feel of it in the OP seems way to puffed up. Like did that guy play the game, or is this just what he got from watching the streams?

He watched the whole 5 hours.

People keep comparing this to the first game, why not the second one?

Myamoto said himself that what he wanted to re-create withthis game is the same feeling of freedom of Zelda 1.
He mentionned it during the stream.
And a lot of Zelda players understood that and agreeded that's what they've been missing from a long time.

DrNeroCF

early Zelda with half life 2 puzzles and crafting mechanics?

I don't see any features as cherry picked from other games because they're popular, without any understanding of why they were put in in the first place (like too many games nowadays), but as a continuation of the themes of early Zeldas.

Puzzles, exploration, progression, progressing with items, consuming items, surviving, everything shown was a logical extension of the spirit of the original games (well, okay, slow mo does feel right out of Bayonetta).

Or maybe I just love the gameplay in Zelda II and hate seeing Souls credited for that style of combat and progression.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member

So unlimited items are a possibility. However you probably have to work for them through the shrines or buying things in towns or crafting.

I'm willing to bet that items found through dungeons/temples will not break. Why would they make you go through so many puzzles and traps just to get an item that will break shortly afterwards?

Ninferno

Great summary, bro. Thanks to both the OP and the guys who wrote the points and made the gifs. Really good showing from Nintendo. Excited to see how this game looks on the NX.

border

So what? Just because it's marked doesn't mean it's telling you how to actually access it. Even the Souls games give you a dose of developer-left tips/hints. It's not smart to give the player absolutely zero, IMO.

Ah!
Good catch, I kinda forgot it since most of the time I just saw the player himself marking the map and not the game itself.

This happened once and then didn't get repeated. It's a nudge, not a constant irritation.

I said in another thread that this isn't going to be like a Ubisoft or GTA game where every single mission and point of interest is marked on the map.

But at the same time this is a Nintendo game, not DayZ. They are going to do their best to push your through the main story campaign with hints and map markers. They aren't just going to dump you into a giant world completely blind and helpless. Not since NES Zelda and NES Metroid have they really done something so stark and alienating. There will be a map with markers, like there has been for pretty much every Zelda game from ALTTP onwards.

Did other sections of the Treehouse stream reference or mark the minimap? Not that I recall, but that's because they pretty much flat-out refused to do anything to advance the story, and insisted on just tooling around in the open world and its mostly optional elements.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Going from gliding to shieldboarding.

a49KQ0O.gif

So smooth...and man even the colors are amazing. They literally went back to Zelda 1 openness with this game, even with the Katsuya Terada artwork influences, and I'm really liking it. This is what I wanted since LttP. Ocarina and Wind Waker were great half steps to this.

I'm willing to bet that items found through dungeons/temples will not break. Why would they make you go through so many puzzles and traps just to get an item that will break shortly afterwards?

There could be blacksmith NPCs that repair the weapon or item.

Puffed up? How? He just stated everything that happened during a 5 hour stream. I just spent the last two-three hours skimming through the 5 hour stream, and everything in the OP is accurate.

Foffy

Banned

I imagine to keep players "on track", it probably plays every session you continue the game, but to not repeat during it.

MilkBeard

Damn, this will be the game to own an NX for. A Zelda game that goes back to the roots of the beginning and allows for freedom of gameplay to this level.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
There could be blacksmith NPCs that repair the weapon or item.

But would Nintendo really follow this trend that other games do? I don't see them doing that. I see them streamlining this for dungeon items. It makes the most sense, especially since Nintendo tries to avoid the common negatives about games in the same genre(s).

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Being based on Zelda 1 is pretty much the greatest thing ever. Childhood dreams coming true up in here.

I said in another thread that this isn't going to be like a Ubisoft or GTA game where every single mission and point of interest is marked on the map.

But at the same time this is a Nintendo game, not DayZ. They are going to do their best to push your through the main story campaign with hints and map markers. They aren't just going to dump you into a giant world completely blind and helpless. Not since NES Zelda and NES Metroid have they really done something so stark and alienating. There will be a map with markers, like there has been for pretty much every Zelda game from ALTTP onwards.

Did other sections of the Treehouse stream reference or mark the minimap? Not that I recall, but that's because they pretty much flat-out refused to do anything to advance the story, and insisted on just tooling around in the open world and its mostly optional elements.

They let you mark up the map, they don't do it for you.

I had really absurdly high expectations and somehow Nintendo managed to surpass them like I hoped they would. The most amazing part is that what we don't know yet is infinitely more exciting to me than what we do know....

That plateau is less than 2% of the world. And we just watched 5 hours of it with little repetition. Let that sink in.

I can't help but be a little disappointed though in the music. Hopefully there's much more epic Zelda like music in the released game but right now that "open air" style isn't doing it for me... I mean compare this trailer's music to TP's trailer music... It still gives me chills.

Fou-Lu

For some reason I am incredibly excited for the lead up to getting the rusty Master Sword and then having to restore it. I also wonder if blacksmiths who repair weapons will eventually be a thing. Zelda series has a pretty solid history of blacksmith characters.

Weapon degradation doesn't bug me at all, as long as I end up with an unbreakable Master Sword by the end.

Would make it feel all the more impactful...

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I can't help but be a little disappointed though in the music. Hopefully there's much more epic Zelda like music in the released game but right now that "open air" style isn't doing it for me... I mean compare this trailer's music to TP's trailer music... It still gives me chills.

They would have to hire the composer behind the Conan the Barbarian movies, since that's where the TP trailer music came from.

Chaos17

Ah so he's hype is through the roof right now

Sweety, I'm ready to post your analys after you also watched the WHOLE 5 hours ^__^
Even if it's negative, I will post it. Because what I care is compiling infos. Giving well written feedback to community.

I'm not here to judge who is wrong or right.
But sharing infos! The whole point of this thread is sharing infos of those 5 hours of stream.

TP trailer music was actually film music never used in the game itself.

I think they are doing ambient music for the world at large and will do more dramatic music for dungeons and story moments.

Nintenleo

Pro Controller compatibility and Off-Tv play should be listed in the first post, they mentioned these features during the treehouse.

Anyway, very great recap. Can't wait to play it (probably in March).

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I love how they made Link more expressive

JUraoFn.gif

Yeah this is the kind of characterization I love. Little subtle things. He's his own person, but talking and other traditional stuff that build character aren't necessary to making him endearing and someone we come to like and admire. His expressions and mannerism really sell him.

Exentryk

The Witcher 3 had the option of turning off all the markers and finding them yourself naturally. This game doesn't have the option to turn on the markers for people that want it.

Doesn't bother me since I prefer it this way, but the lack of option could be detrimental.

Top Bottom