• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

The main thing that's worrying me is the whole open world design that they're going for. Yeah, the size of the game is insane, but if it's going to be mostly empty then...what's the point? Also worried about the kind of "side quests" they're going to put in open world game.

Other than that I'm actually liking a lot of stuff in the OP. I'll be keeping an eye on this, but if I'm getting it I'm not buying a NX just to play this game (unless the Wii U version is going to perform like crap).

V AA D E R

Neo Member
Am I the only one who immediately thought that Zelda and Fallout had a baby after reading the features? Not so much the post apocalyptic setting, but more the emphasis on gathering, cooking, building, marking the map, being able to pick up any weapon and they degrade over time, open world, etc.

TheFuzz

Sorry if it was answered, but was all the streaming from the demo today on a Wii U machine or did they say?

I don't see any features as cherry picked from other games because they're popular, without any understanding of why they were put in in the first place (like too many games nowadays), but as a continuation of the themes of early Zeldas.

Puzzles, exploration, progression, progressing with items, consuming items, surviving, everything shown was a logical extension of the spirit of the original games (well, okay, slow mo does feel right out of Bayonetta).

Or maybe I just love the gameplay in Zelda II and hate seeing Souls credited for that style of combat and progression.

I'm not saying the so called "you start without instructions and there is no story shoved down your throat" is invented by souls games, (and I agree that the first zelda had that), but that this game is so modern in so many ways that saying it all comes from early Zeldas is kidding ourselves. The themes and feeling, the design? sure, giant magnets that move objects with physically simulated weight, solving physics based puzzles, etc? not so much. Puzzles were not even big in the NES Zeldas.

Exentryk

I guess this game will be excellent in the gameplay department, but what about story telling? Is there a story trailer yet? Are Link and major NPCs voiced? If this game can have even half the quality of quests as Witcher 3, than it would be amazing.

They would have to hire the composer behind the Conan the Barbarian movies, since that's where the TP trailer music came from.

TP trailer music was actually film music never used in the game itself.

I think they are doing ambient music for the world at large and will do more dramatic music for dungeons and story moments.

Right, I knew it wasn't ever in the game but it more or less represented the music style of that game... Or maybe that's just my favorite trailer of all time due to that music and I was slightly disappointed in BotW's trailer music.

But yeah I'm hopeful for some more melodic music in certain spots in the final game. I mean, what Zelda game has ever had bad music?

Scoops

Banned
This and Modern Warfare Remaster is what I'm most interested in from this E3. Maybe #FE too we'll have to see tomorrow.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Sorry if it was answered, but was all the streaming from the demo today on a Wii U machine or did they say?

I don't believe they've said but considering the NX isn't being mentioned and there's a bunch of demo stations I would assume it was.

Kouriozan

0C6mcQS.gif

This looks unbelievably good.
It's like a Ghibli movie.

Draconian

Thanks for this thread. As someone who couldn't watch anything today, I'm somewhat overwhelmed at the amount of content available for this, and I really dunno where to start.

Beats

That's a pretty good summary of everything shown so far.

One thing I'm not really big on is being able to pause and then heal up. I know some enemies can deal big damage or 1 shot you, but if they don't 1 shot you then you it looks like you can just heal up fairly easily if you've done some cooking or gathered up some consumables beforehand. There doesn't seem to be any risk involved since there's no eating animation or whatever that leaves you vulnerable or even a cooldown.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Right, I knew it wasn't ever in the game but it more or less represented the music style of that game... Or maybe that's just my favorite trailer of all time due to that music and I was slightly disappointed in BotW's trailer music.

But yeah I'm hopeful for some more melodic music in certain spots in the final game. I mean, what Zelda game has ever had bad music?

Spirit Tracks

Regardless, I thought Skyward Sword(even though I disliked the game) had a more memorable score than TP, especially theme song(even though it was Zelda's lullaby backwards). I'm sure this game will have great themes. I'm hoping for some music to connect it even more to Wind Waker.

Looks breathtaking!

It will be amazing to see how the Nintendo polish will make shine the [almost too] many elements they are adding into this game.

Chaos17

Ah, that's a good idea. Maybe warm clothing is always weak in armor, so if you're not gonna just go explore it's better to eat hot food and equip heavier armor instead.

Actualy, if you don't have a warm armor you can eat spicy food that you cooked to feel warm XD
They showed that in the stream.

Where can I find all the video for what happened today?
In my topic ^^;
I posted them.

Thanks. It looked gorgeous, so why all of the "if it doesn't look great/performs poorly" talk? It looks great from what I've seen.

The live YouTube stream had a lot of issues for whatever reason that were perceived as framerate issues by a lot (including me). The archive is much, much, much smoother.

I guess this game will be excellent in the gameplay department, but what about story telling? Is there a story trailer yet? Are Link and major NPCs voiced? If this game can have even half the quality of quests as Witcher 3, than it would be amazing.

I'm already happy with an open world puzzle game. That's what this is for me, I don't expect it to be Portal 2, but fuck yeah it is amazing to have the gameplay and story come together on a puzzle game.

Magnus

Game looks marvellous for sure. I'm impressed.

Help me understand something, though. I'm honestly asking here, because I haven't played too many open-world RPGs, and I honestly don't know the answer:

I see a lot of people being really impressed by the 'physics-based' gameplay here, and the freedom of gameplay choices, and the ability to venture into a lot of the world right away, etc etc.... But haven't a ton of open-world RPGs already done a lot of this? The things I'm seeing a lot of folks being blown away by here, I assumed were staples of games like Skyrim and The Witcher. Is this game really doing a lot more than those games in terms of gameplay freedom?

Again, honest question. Not trying to start a fire.

Sweety, I'm ready to post your analysis after you also watched the WHOLE 5 hours ^__^
Even if it's negative, I will post it. Because what I care is compiling infos. Giving well written feedback to community.

I'm not here to judge who is wrong or right.
But sharing infos! The whole point of this thread is sharing infos of those 5 hours of stream.

Yeah nice misinterpretation, muffin :)

No way in hell am I watching 5 hours of gameplay. Got a good hour regardless. Anyways literally never even hinted at the accuracy of his info in any way, (don't even know how you got that) I was just commenting on the way it was written, the guy is beyond hyped for the game and it reads like religious sermon.

Chaos17

Yeah nice misinterpretation, muffin :)

No way in hell am I watching 5 hours of gameplay. Got a good hour regardless. Anyways literally never even hinted at the accuracy of his info in any way, (don't even know how you got that) I was just commenting on the way it was written, the guy is beyond hyped for the game and it reads like religious sermon.

Aaaah ok, you were commenting on the style of his writting.
No worry.
English isn't my first language.

Peléo;207121380 said:
Amazing job OP. Do you have any picture of the control scheme?
Nope, sorry but I keep an eye on it ;)

I dont get the worries with a possible lack of things to do. The very first thing out of reggies mouth prior to the game reveal is how the world will be teaming with life. Given the scope Nintendo seems to be going for, I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Cant wait for NX enhanced version.

NPC's and Towns weren't "removed" from the demo. Bill Trinen stated that the plateau opening area is the "jumping off" point for the game. Once you are off the plateau you begin to encounter the real world at large.

They stated that everything you do in the opening area encompasses less than 2% of the total game. Based on what we've seen from the map, they aren't kidding.

This is simply incredible!

jblank83

I see a lot of people being really impressed by the 'physics-based' gameplay here, and the freedom of gameplay choices, and the ability to venture into a lot of the world right away, etc etc.... But haven't a ton of open-world RPGs already done a lot of this? The things I'm seeing a lot of folks being blown away by here, I assumed were staples of games like Skyrim and The Witcher. Is this game really doing a lot more than those games in terms of gameplay freedom?

Again, honest question. Not trying to start a fire.

Freedom of gameplay choice, yes. Elder Scrolls and Witcher you can ride out into the world and go wherever you want.

Freedom of interactions, no. Elder Scrolls and Witcher have one way of interacting with the world: you walk around and you hit things. It never gets more complicated than that. Witcher succeeds by having a lot of hand crafted, fully voice acted quests but its actual world interaction is incredibly limited.

Where Zelda impresses is how complex, sophisticated, and thoughtful the game mechanics are. Spreading a fire and using the updraft from that fire to gain lift with your glider and jumping off your glider to shoot a bomb arrow into a monster's eye? That's insane.

Sapientas

Great posts! With that I'm done checking new for this game, I'm already sold.

Reggie's opening speech really seems legit after all this coverage. Game might actually change how the industry perceives open world. Game of the show for sure.

Top Bottom