• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War details, in-depth RPG systems, No load screens, plus more

I need my GOW to have bombastic fights and moments, glad to see that is still the case. Of course there is still so much to see but based on the conservative demo, they probably have a long way to go. At least Sony didn't show this off last year which would have been at least 2 years before release.

Only thing I don't like the sounds of is that its one take, like MGSV presumably.. No reason to limit yourself to that style, I love cinematics and epic cinematography.

3N16MA

Banned
I wouldn't be worried about the combat at this point. I'm sure his axe is going to be upgraded as the story moves along making it more diverse. Perhaps new weapons will pop up.

A.R.K

what is the timeline for this game? Is this prequel to all the previous games?

Honestly I was not interested in a GoW game but this is right what I needed from a GoW reboot.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Seems like probably a bit overdramatic but he has a point. Why is there crafting in an action game? While I do love RPGs, I don't want every genre to turn into hybrid of them. I'm going to wait a while before I come to any conclusions. Almost everything other this turning into an action RPG sounds amazing though. I want an action game.

because things evolve and need to change. Like other people said, people are complaining that the new gears of war is to similar. God of war has had many games with the same tone, the same mechanics and same gameplay etc. Its time to change it up and make it fresh again

gamerMan

This really feels like Naughty Dog rebooted God Of War. With no cinematics it looks like most of the story will be told through walking segments.

Judging by the response so far I'd say they nailed it.

I'm pleasantly surprised and pleased how positive the reception has been, especially from people who derided the series before, or were previously not remotely interested. It looks like it should turn out quite nicely for SSM!

Yeah something we have to wait and see.

But I like what I see already.
Yeah, I do too...Ax looks interesting how you can throw it, call it back like a boomerang. And the rage mode where he went ballistic on the giant was crazy. I’m sure along with a roll, there will be a blocking mechanic, counter, some type of ramming, etc...

I just think Cory being a dude from the beginning, knows how to surpass previous games, and knows GOW’s combat was a highlight as well as set-pieces. Let’s give him time.

I-hate-u

That's my biggest issue about this reboot

the way this old Kratos combo-ing didn't seem like it's for a hack and slash game at all

dwud55jpg.gif

now this is an actual combo from an action character game.

bearded Kratos weak attacks were dull as fuck.

This. The genre is dying as it is. GOW didn't have the most elaborate hack n slash combat system, but it was very fun. But now it's gone, all gone for simple combat fit for an RPG.

Like the title of the game says, I want GOD OF WAR combat, not random RPG combat #23.

This really feels like Naughty Dog rebooted God Of War. With no cinematics it looks like most of the story will be told through walking segments.

Ughhhhh. Devs need to know this hurts subsequent playthroughs.

This. The genre is dying as it is. GOW didn't have the most elaborate hack n slash combat system, but it was very fun. But now it's gone, all gone for simple combat fit for an RPG.
How do you know its gone?

It just wasn't in that stage demo. But there's no way that demo was the highlight or the sum total of the combat system.

I mean if it somehow was, I'll mourn right along with you, but I think they wanted this reveal to showcase a different side of things. To surprise people and turn expectations on their head. To get people talking and guessing.

The article says the God of War we know is still in there.

I-hate-u

How do you know its gone?

It just wasn't in that stage demo. But there's no way that demo was the highlight or the sum total of the combat system.

I mean if it somehow was, I'll mourn right along with you, but I think they wanted this reveal to showcase a different side of things. To surprise people and turn expectations on their head. To get people talking and guessing. The article says the God of War we know is still there.
I hope so dude. I hope so.

Log4Girlz

I want to able to use my son in a cannonball special. Just toss him like Colossus does with Wolverine. Go for the eyes son, go for the eyes.

Like the title of the game says, I want GOD OF WAR combat, not random RPG combat #23.

Ughhhhh. Devs need to know this hurts subsequent playthroughs.
I played through GOW3 recently...Let me tell you, it wears off, fast.

God of War didn’t have an elaborate combat engine as you said, it was fun, but man, we’ve had 6 of em and a remastered version! ENOUGH! lol...

Plus, those games like Skyrim etc...usually have not just weak combat engines, but bad ones. This and Horizon look to breathe fresh air into the genres.

I think Cory has a chance to do more of a hybrid Souls/Action game engine with RPG elements versus doing something that can rival DMC or Ninja Gaiden. I’m willing to see his vision at least, I mean, he’s a big part of God of War 2.

Biggest video from Sony’s conference it looks like...3+million views already on youtube.

Spider-Man putting in work too. Will hit a million soon

RPG elements seem like a natural progression for the GoW series. That's probably the least drastic departure I've seen of the game.

Upgrading weapons for combos, element based upgrades, armor, health, skills and so on.

I don't really like Tomb Raider '13 and Far Cry 3/4 style crafting or ability gating, or Uncharted style bauble/trinket stuff, even though I enjoy those games... and I had a reflexively negative reaction to "knowledge gained" but I'm open to enjoying the mix they end up with. I still was blown away by what I saw and if you can just let me get my Elder Souls of Us on, I'll get what I'm hoping for.

Pizza

I hope we get a solid game or two with Kratos's kid before the now-adult kid gets his shit fucked up by Odin at the end of God of War 6. I don't really want to see Kratos get replaced, TBH. I want to see character development for him, and this game has it in SPADES based off the trailer.

I want to see Kratos eventually kill all the pantheons and ascend to the One True God before realizing earth is fucked and leaving.

Edit: also to the concern with combat, six strategic button mashing GoW games was great, but I'm fucking pumped for being a ton more intimate with Kratos when he's climbing Titans and pulling eyeballs out of skulls. Ascenion played with the idea of different mundane weapons, and I really want to see how this new take on GoW plays out. The Poseidon battle is still fucking incredible, but the teaser already had a fuckingDRAGON that I am excited to 1v1 no items final destination against.

because things evolve and need to change. Like other people said, people are complaining that the new gears of war is to similar. God of war has had many games with the same tone, the same mechanics and same gameplay etc. Its time to change it up and make it fresh again
They can make it fresh without turning it into action RPG, which seems to be 90% of the time what devs do to develop games.

And if you like action RPG that's great. I do as well just not in the few franchises that are action games. That's some bullshit.

Completely one shot? Wow

And having that kid tag along everywhere sounds really hard to pull off. Guess we wont be fighting huge bosses and swinging everywhere then?

They can make it fresh without turning it into action RPG, which seems to be 90% of the time what devs do to develop games.

And if you like action RPG that's great. I do as well just not in the few franchises that are action games. That's some bullshit.
David Jaffe’s original concept for the game is actually an Action Adventure. He wanted to create Sony’s “Zelda” IIRC.

This is getting back to that more than a title focused on an action combat engine and set pieces again. Also, here’s a write-up of tidbits DualShockers posted from PS interviews.

Below you can read a recap of what they shared:

-Barlog was floored by the response to Kratos’ entrance during the live demo at the E3 press conference.
-Right from the beginning the team wanted to “rip the whole thing up” and rebuild the franchise “from scratch.” They wanted to find all the things that worked and keep them, but change all the things that didn’t match the vision of a more intimate view on Kratos’ life.
-The team “kicked around” a bunch of different mythologies for quite a while. The setting that they ended up selecting isn’t the viking era. Before the viking era there’s the migration era, and before that there’s a pre-migration era. It’s the era when according to the vikings the gods used to walk the Earth among men.
-Kratos and his son are in a world where nobody is friendly and everything is hostile. -----Kratos’ son is actually the only one among the two who understands the local language. Kratos is a stranger in a strange land. For instance, the troll speaks ancient Norse, which the kid understands, but Kratos doesn’t. This allows the team to focus on a new dynamic with Kratos and his son.
-According to Judge, the script of the game is not simply a game’s script, but is a fully fleshed out story with fleshed out characters that have full emotional ranges.
-Kratos faces the struggle to accept a new role and not be the same old Kratos, and that for Judge is the role of a lifetime, as it allows a large emotional breadth as an actor.
-Barlog mentioned that this is not a new Kratos, he’s still the Kratos we know, but he’s older, and he’s looking at life through a different lens. The same goes for Barlog himself: his view of the world is different from when he started working on God of War.
-Kratos is struggling with the idea of having to deal with another person, a tiny human not listening and not understanding what he thinks is very simple. He’s frustrated, because he can’t let the anger out and has to remain patient and convey his knowledge to his son. His real challenge lays in how much how his real self he’s going to show to his kid, and in how much of himself he sees in his kid.
-According to Judge nothing changes a man more than having a child, and the game also portrays the challenge of finding out how to be a father when you have never been fathered.
-The ending of the demo portrays a missed opportunity. The kid is ready to open up, but Kratos misses the opportunity to open up himself. He doesn’t have the strength to pat his son on the back, while he’s completely capable to take down a troll. He has grown up under the most brutal military training possible, and that doesn’t breed cuddly puppies.
-There are going to be RPG elements and progression, even if it’s not yet set in stone how they will materialize.
-The axe that we see in the demo has a history. There is a whole story around that connects to many characters within the game.
-Going with a new weapon was a very deliberate design choice, because there is a whole new way of controlling the game. There is a while new set of controls and a whole new way of interacting with the controller. This had a long development cycle and it went through a lot of revisions.
-The team isn’t yet ready to reveal the name of Kratos’ son.
-The whole narrative is set around the idea of teaching, and that’s incredibly important to the gameplay. Through the entire game, Kratos is constantly teaching his son via banter and actual interactivity. There is actually a button entirely dedicated to interacting with ---Kratos’ son and prompting him to execute certain actions within the game, both in battle and in situations not related to combat, like puzzles.

jony_m

you had me at RPG, which was something I was thinking off seeing the knowledge unlocks and location discovery during the demo

I loved GoW 3 but already couldn't be bothered to buy Ascension, not even discounted. Classic brand fatigue.

But THIS sounds (and looks) so damn awesome. Want it.

David Jaffe’s original concept for the game is actually an Action Adventure. He wanted to create Sony’s “Zelda” IIRC.

This is getting back to that more than a title focused on an action combat engine and set pieces again. Also, here’s a write-up of tidbits DualShockers posted from PS interviews.
OG concepts aren't always the best idea. George Lucas would have killed Darth Vader in the second movie if we go by OG concepts.

Posting again since people are missing this:
While the E3 demo was a quieter, more character-driven look at the game, Barlog assured me that the series isn’t shrugging off its bombastic, cinematic roots. The reason they didn’t focus the E3 demo on a huge, spectacle-filled set piece is that it's a given that the game will have those. Barlog and Sony Santa Monica have mastered those moments, so with this demo, they wanted to surprise fans and non-fans of the series with the unexpected.

And really, that doesn't remotely sound far fetched. We had somewhat of a tutorial section and it still had a giant ass troll in it. And then they showed a dragon.

And it's Norse mythology.

Top Bottom