• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

This game is insanely Gifable:

vtnO5Wg.gif

atr0cious

This games lack of gamepad focus and pro Controller support indicates to me that the NX wont have a second screen.

If you look at the tablet UI, it screams second screen, and the menu system looks archaic compared to WWHD. I'm betting they ripped it all out so people aren't complaining about controls or design decisions and just enjoying the base game. At least that's what I hope, I really want motion aiming for arrows and map usage on the gamepad, and they already showed the map usage in the first showing last year.

Hermii

If you look at the tablet UI, it screams second screen, and the menu system looks archaic compared to WWHD. I'm betting they ripped it all out so people aren't complaining about controls or design decisions and just enjoying the base game. At least that's what I hope, I really want motion aiming for arrows and map usage on the gamepad, and they already showed the map usage in the first showing last year.

You have a point, but at least the game is fully playable with only one screen. I believe the NX Controller will have a gimmick and Zelda will utilize it in some way, I just dont think there will be a screen on it necesarily.

I can't believe all those gifs. I caught like half the stream and come back to find out that I haven't seen anything honestly... Wow.

Greddleok

If Nintendo pulls this off, and it's actually as good as they're making it out to be...holy shit, I'd like to think perspectives will change about the company.

Probably not though, it's too cartoony, right?

I'd completely missed how tight the hitboxes were! Go, Nintendo!

Why do you weirdos love Ganon so much. He is a total generic evil conquer the world villain in every game except wind waker. He is team rocket status and I'm tired of seeing this lame fucker at the end of every game, twilight princess being an especially egregious example of him just hijacking the game at the end and having no personality and adding nothing unique to the story. Ghirahim and Zant>>>>>>>ganon

...he's hot?

Hopefully he has a form outside of black plague sludge. For, you know. Reasons.

khaaan

Does anyone know if climbing the towers will automatically mark your map? That's the implication I'm getting from various sources.

If Nintendo pulls this off, and it's actually as good as they're making it out to be...holy shit, I'd like to think perspectives will change about the company.

Probably not though, it's too cartoony, right?

Doesn't look more cartoony than a certain team based hero shooter that's been killing the charts.
Nintendo as a brand has an uphill climb to recapture the mass market and 'core' gamers. I'm not expecting a great shift, but this is definitely a step in the right direction. I hope they will keep this up with NX' software output.

nOoblet16

Ok I had a look at other gameplay videos and something seems to be off about the 5 hour link posted in the OP.
The game looks like it's running at 20FPS in the video posted in the OP, yet when looking at other videos like this it looks perfectly fine. The colour composition in the OP video is also off and looks washed out compared to how it actually looks in the other videos.

Greddleok

Doesn't look more cartoony than a certain team based hero shooter that's been killing the charts.
Nintendo as a brand has an uphill climb to recapture the mass market and 'core' gamers. I'm not expecting a great shift, but this is definitely a step in the right direction. I hope they will keep this up with NX' software output.

That's for sure. However Overwatch isn't tied to hardware that has barely sold/is new and unproven.

zoukka

Ok I had a look at other gameplay videos and something seems to be off about the 5 hour link posted in the OP.
The game looks like it's running at 20FPS in the video posted in the OP, yet when looking at other videos like this it looks perfectly fine. The colour composition in the OP video is also off and looks washed out compared to how it actually looks in the other videos.

Yeah the stream fucked up the framerate and colours.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
this game seems so RICH and VARIED.
This gif is great in showing also like the combat systems has been overhauled completely

giphy.gif

RagnarokX

Yeah Shrine of Resurrection suggests that he was dead at some point.

Well, you respawn at one every time you game over. I don't think it necessarily means Link died or dies, but his husk is dragged to one of these things to heal. Essentially they're creating a contrivance for respawning.

But there has to be a reason why this Link was put in stasis for 100 years while the kingdom was under siege. Him being the Hero of Time after falling to Ganon would make sense. He got his ass handed to him and he was put in stasis while Zelda used her magic to keep Ganon confined to Hyrule Castle.

This. The 20fps videos are coming from youtube stream that is usually crap, the game runs at ~30FPS with a few minor dips as usual.

E-phonk

Banned
You have a point, but at least the game is fully playable with only one screen. I believe the NX Controller will have a gimmick and Zelda will utilize it in some way, I just dont think there will be a screen on it necesarily.

Yeah, it seems NX won't have a second screen otherwise they wouldn't have put the map back.

The scrollable L/R buttons that were pattented are something that will integrate well into this.

KingBroly

Banned
Yeah, it seems NX won't have a second screen otherwise they wouldn't have put the map back.

The scrollable L/R buttons that were pattented are something that will integrate well into this.

given that you have a scrolling mechanic by press L/R on the d-pad then scrolling with the right stick currently?

Yeah, probably

FiraB

Banned
That's certainly a change. Just finished all the footage and damn was I right to keep my wii u, game is definitely gonna be great.

cordy

Banned
This looks like one of the most amazing Zelda games ever and a true reimagining of the series. There's no doubt that this will be a defining game for the series, just wow.

Getting the NX off the strength.

E-phonk

Banned
Does anyone know if climbing the towers will automatically mark your map? That's the implication I'm getting from various sources.

Yeah, I think they said so on the giantbomb podcast. You don't have to do it, but when you do it marks different points of interest on your map.

Mr Swine

Banned
Jesus, if Nintendo can make an open world game look like this good, why does Bethesda have so much problems with its gameplay :/ looks like Zelda will blow many open world games over

My thoughts on the reveal of this game.

I'm a huge Zelda fan. Always have been since OOT. Started the series with that game and consider it the greatest game of all time.

Anyway, after watching pretty much most of the coverage yesterday, I don't feel convinced about what I see, or rather the lack of what I see in the game. There were a lot of back and forth rumours about no towns/villages. I'm glad that Bill cleared that up and that there are indeed towns but I don't like the way they've handled the presentation. Is it such a big deal to show us these towns and NPCs? We're going to find out eventually, right? Or do they expect to still keep it a secret until we play the game?

The other gripes I have is the rumour which hasn't been debunked about there only being 4 dungeons in the game. I really hope that isn't true. I guess the only reason I give the rumour credence is because there are apparently over 100+ shrines (mini-dungeons), so I can believe that they had to make cuts elsewhere by reducing the number of mainline dungeons. Wouldn't be the first time it's happened in a Zelda game.

The overworld is vast, it really is but watching the stream made me bored at times.Apart from a few bokoblins, guardians, and treasure chests, what else is there to do in the overworld? What's the goal? The areas shown imo are devoid of any character. So we saw, ice areas, forest areas and skirted around the desert areas with none of them having a story to tell. It just felt bland to me. I guess I appreciate stumbling across an area like Zora's Domain for example and have an entire area into itself, detailed rich in story and history etc.I could be wrong and we may see that in the game but this is based on what I've seen so far.

My other concern is we can skip the story entirely and fight the boss of the game. That sort of implies to me that the story doesn't have a great deal of importance and progression.

I guess seeing this game is making me appreciate TP a whole lot more. I mean I already loved the game as it is.

I really wanted to love this game like most people here have from the trailer and footage shown. I really do. I just feel disappointed with what was shown or rather lack of. Stings even more that I waited 5 years for this but this could all be knee-jerk reactions though.

KingBroly

Banned
My thoughts on the reveal of this game.

I'm a huge Zelda fan. Always have been since OOT. Started the series with that game and consider it the greatest game of all time.

Anyway, after watching pretty much most of the coverage yesterday, I don't feel convinced about what I see, or rather the lack of what I see in the game. There were a lot of back and forth rumours about no towns/villages. I'm glad that Bill cleared that up and that there are indeed towns but I don't like the way they've handled the presentation. Is it such a big deal to show us these towns and NPCs? We're going to find out eventually, right? Or do they expect to still keep it a secret until we plat the game?

The other gripes I have is the rumour which hasn't been debunked about there only being 4 dungeons in the game. I really hope that isn't true. I guess the only reason I give the rumour credence is because there are apparently over 100+ shrines (mini-dungeons), so I can believe that they had to make cuts elsewhere by reducing the number of mainline dungeons. Wouldn't be the first time it's happened in a Zelda game.

The overworld is vast, it really is but watching the stream made me bored at times.Apart from a few bokoblins, guardians, and treasure chests, what else is there to do in the overworld? What's the goal? The areas shown imo are devoid of any character. So we saw, ice areas, forest areas and skirted around the desert areas with none of them having a story to tell. It just felt bland to me. I guess I appreciate stumbling across an area like Zora's Domain for example and have an entire area into itself, detailed rich in story and history etc.I could be wrong and we may see that in the game but this is based on what I've seen so far.

My other concern is we can skip the story entirely and fight the boss of the game. That sort of implies to me that the story doesn't have a great deal of importance and progression.

I guess seeing this game is making me appreciate TP a whole lot more. I mean I already loved the game as it is.

I really wanted to love this game like most people here have from the trailer and footage shown. I really do. I just feel disappointed with what was shown or rather lack of. Stings even more that I waited 5 years for this but this could all be knee-jerk reactions though.

Just because you can get to the final boss immediately, doesn't mean you will or beat him. Given the game's structure (so far) it seems like a Titanic feat to do. It's not something first time players are going to be able to do.

Top Bottom