• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

Just because you can get to the final boss immediately, doesn't mean you will or beat him. Given the game's structure (so far) it seems like a Titanic feat to do. It's not something first time players are going to be able to do.

I understand that. It just concerns me that if it's possible then the story isn't particularly important or necessary. Usually you'd have to complete certain areas, dungeons have the story play out, etc before you could move onto the next chapter.

giphy.gif

v1oz

This new Zelda still looks a lot like Skyward Sword to me just with more vegetation. I think Witcher 3 satisfied all my craving for a next gen role playing action adventure. I'd be very surprised if this turns out to be as good the Witcher 3 or Xenoblade Wii U.

Why do you weirdos love Ganon so much. He is a total generic evil conquer the world villain in every game except wind waker. He is team rocket status and I'm tired of seeing this lame fucker at the end of every game, twilight princess being an especially egregious example of him just hijacking the game at the end and having no personality and adding nothing unique to the story. Ghirahim and Zant>>>>>>>ganon

Posts like these make me want Ganon more.

Such a large world... finding all Koroks without a guide will be a nightmare.

This is why I hope there'll be something like what you could do in Metroid Prime 3: you could unlock the ability to have the game mark where the pickups were and whether you'd obtained them or not.

Like, make it optional, make it take significant investment, just have it exist. Because finding 95% of things on your own is fun, but tearing your hair out over the last 5% is not.

This new Zelda still looks a lot like Skyward Sword to me just with more vegetation. I think Witcher 3 satisfied all my craving for a next gen role playing action adventure. I'd be very surprised if this turns out to be as good the Witcher 3 or Xenoblade Wii U.

This is your takeaway of if it all? Damn.

Has it become a joke/meme to keep comparing the Witcher 3 to LoZ?
I don't get it. They're both open world games in a fantasy setting, but the games are vastly different in what they're trying to achieve.

Game looks great gameplay wise, but the art direction leaves a bit to be desired. Amazing animation though.

Also, fuck Amiibo.

Wolf that fights and hunts for you? Well at least it's good to know this is minor content Nintendo's putting on them, and nothing that really adds to the game.

N.Grim

Wait, where exactly? It's totally different

Romez

Looks like they copied a lot from Don't Starve.

Graphics don't look as good as I thought they would but I'm exited, my most hyped game for next year.

If you dodge at the right time you can do a fury strike which slows things down and allows for a super combo of attacks.

OMG, witch time in Zelda! Now I want a Bayonetta costume for Link (make the Bayonetta amiibo compatible with this game).

It all sounds great except that cooking/crafting/managing lots of items stuff. I hate that. Many RPGs do this and it's not fun or interesting, it's just a chore. I just want to cut some grass for hearts or drink a potion/release a fairy.

This is why I hope there'll be something like what you could do in Metroid Prime 3: you could unlock the ability to have the game mark where the pickups were and whether you'd obtained them or not.

Like, make it optional, make it take significant investment, just have it exist. Because finding 95% of things on your own is fun, but tearing your hair out over the last 5% is not.

Yeah, this feature should be included. I have confident that the team will think of this.

KingBroly

Banned
I understand that. It just concerns me that if it's possible then the story isn't particularly important or necessary. Usually you'd have to complete certain areas, dungeons have the story play out, etc before you could move onto the next chapter.

It's going to be for players who beat the game, know what they are doing, and want the challenge. Players who try it the first time out are going to quit playing or go back and try to do other stuff first. Going through the story will more than likely make the final boss loads easier.

And considering they've shown us the intro that gives us a good sense of mystery already, I think the story is actually going to be somewhat good.

takriel

Has it become a joke/meme to keep comparing the Witcher 3 to LoZ?
I don't get it. They're both open world games in a fantasy setting, but the games are vastly different in what they're trying to achieve.

I think come 2017 it will become a meme to compare Zelda to Horizon...

Insaniac

Any statements on framerate? I couldn't tell via the stream if it was stream quality or framerate dropping during the treehouse

Any statements on framerate? I couldn't tell via the stream if it was stream quality or framerate dropping during the treehouse

From various impressions here, it seems that Treehouse stream had some framerate problems which were not noticed in videos from demo booths.

Vetro

Probably been posted already, but it appears that no, there's (a little bit?) more to the map than that. Here you can see slightly more a bit higher up on the map. It could go higher still, and maybe other directions too.

4eed9c567f945b09caff807d687e7691.png

99c2ed9268afd44520c4ece5d783279c.png

Holy sausage.

Release this beauty asap.

RaidenXZ

The sheer fact that they said you can shieldboard and use your bow, ala Legolas, makes this the greatest game of all time lol

Man, what they showed off on the first day looked fantastic. Knowing that it is only a sliver of what will be in the final game has me feeling pretty darn excited.

Generate

Banned

Games like Witcher dont have the same level of puzzle design. Thats a big deal for many Zelda fans.

mclem

Played it today, went through the opening 20 minutes through the first trial (among other bits). Some story stuff that may have been mentioned but I didn't see anywhere:

This Link has been asleep for 100 years. Ganon is mentioned, but there was a word in front of his name I can't remember. He's this miasma at this point that you're trying to stop. A big, swirly black mass.

I suspect something like "Push back the miasma to reveal other regions/towns/cities/people - so the world gradually gets more populated, hence towns revealing story components

This looks fine but I hope these aren't the final sounds and music cues. That chime that plays whenever Link picks something up got old real fast.

Cyrano

It's an OOT revolution all over again.
Gotta admit, this game looks great. Exceptional variety and you can invent environmental solutions to problems. Feels like the "creative solution" game Zelda always should have been, rather than the "use key X to open door Y" game it became.

dEvAnGeL

game is looking good but its a shame they didnt show the NX version instead, as much as i love zelda this looks very bland when it comes to graphics, buying an NX just for this as well

Rodin

game is looking good but its a shame they didnt show the NX version instead, as much as i love zelda this looks very bland when it comes to graphics, buying an NX just for this as well

No it doesn't.

I think the NX version will look better but there's still a chance that it will just run at better res/frame rate and with some minor tweaks (better lod/shadow res and distance, AA, etc) if they didn't have the time to really take advantage of the more powerful hardware. Not saying this is the case, but it's a possibility imho.

DizzyCrow

Any more details on how weapon degradation works? I don't want to drop a weapon just so I have to pick a torch or something

boiled goose

good with gravy
Main concern to me is difficulty.

Yes there are weakspot containing big sub bosses but the grunts themselves have to be Tough enough to force you to explore all the gameplay options.

Blues1990

Can you go and customize Link, such as changing his hair or crafting him a suit of armour? Or do you just find equipment and new clothing in treasure chests?

Any more details on how weapon degradation works? I don't want to drop a weapon just so I have to pick a torch or something

You hit things, your weapon breaks and you quick-swap to a new weapon and carry on.
What does weapon degradation have to do with dropping a torch?

Can you go and customize Link, such as changing his hair or crafting him a suit of armour? Or do you just find equipment and new clothing in treasure chests?

Treehouse stream showed different hairstyles but i don't know if you can craft clothes or not. You can upgrade them but i haven't seen clothes being made only found.

Majukun

there is a crating system as much as i heard,but it wasn't featured in the demo
as per hairstyle..some people say in some screeshot link has a different hairstyle

Rodin

Main concern to me is difficulty.

Yes there are weakspot containing big sub bosses but the grunts themselves have to be Tough enough to force you to explore all the gameplay options.

I doubt you won't get the chance to start with hero mode, or hero mode+ganon amiibo. They introduced that possibility with TP HD, makes no sense to leave it out of this game.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I have to admit, I was sort of expecting Nintendo to plop a conventional Zelda game into an open world, then fill that open world with tons of padding. At best, they'd ape great Western open world games, and maybe introduce a couple of cool gimmicky twists. My hopes were low.

That's why I'm genuinely shocked that Nintendo is making something this crazily different from status-quo Zelda or other open world games. Even if the execution fails, the ambition, innovation, emergence, and openness is way beyond what I expected from modern Nintendo handling one of their crown jewel IPs. I mean, this is insanely conservative Zelda, not an immersive sim like Dishonored.

I guess I should have seen the signs with Mario Maker and A Link Between Worlds. I'm excited!

Top Bottom