• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War E3 thread (impressions, interviews and new info)

H94q9NI.jpg

Kratos Comparison. Some minor changes but the new model looks great. Got to say I really like the costume, Love how he still retains some of his Spartan/Greek Elements but has adopted it for the new setting. I'm growing to love the Idea of the Axe honestly. He does some cool stuff with it in the footage and it's very "Viking"

Big fan of the design overall.

H94q9NI.jpg

Kratos Comparison. Some minor changes but the new model looks great. Got to say I really like the costume, Love how he still retains some of his Spartan/Greek Elements but has adopted it for the new setting. I'm growing to love the Idea of the Axe honestly. He does some cool stuff with it in the footage and it's very "Viking"

Indeed. He still wears his old greek robe like a belt. You can notice it.

H94q9NI.jpg

Are his eyes a different color?

Besides that, he honestly looks less pissed off.

MaxHouse

Banned
H94q9NI.jpg

God Kratos looks amazing with that beard

gamerMan

I'd be surprised if the game was full of segments like this, this looked like a very early (tutorial-esque) segment, i doubt it'll be like that for the entire game. I think this slice was picked because they wanted to get the point of the father/son dynamic across.

That's why I'm torn as I don't know if this segment is representative of the final game. I hope it is not as I don't want a "walking simulator" in the God Of War universe with very little interactivity and highly scripted combat that can be completed with your eyes closed. God of War was a game that required skill and this demo takes all that away in favor of an active cinematic experience.

MaxHouse

Banned
That's why I'm torn as I don't know if this segment is representative of the final game. I hope it is not as I don't want a "walking simulator" in the God Of War universe with very little interactivity and highly scripted combat that can be completed with your eyes closed. God of War was a game that required skill and this demo takes all that away in favor of an active cinematic experience.

With Cory Barlog at the helm...you can be sure the combat is going to be good

doofy102

Analyse the gameplay a bit more and you'll see there's more to it than you thought.

Analyse the gameplay a bit more and you'll see there's more to it than you thought.

My mind was semi-blown when I realised that combo was all gameplay, where Kratos jumped and then pulled back the axe mid-air to execute a jumping ground pound.

Sure, vertical slice probably activated "cinematic angle" to make that moment cooler than it will be in the final game, but damn.

wapplew

He look like monk from Diablo 3. Funny they change Kratos tattoo color to red because he use to look like barbarian from Diablo 2.
latest

Zukkoyaki

My mind was semi-blown when I realised that combo was all gameplay, where Kratos jumped and then pulled back the axe mid-air to execute a jumping ground pound.

Sure, vertical slice probably activated "cinematic angle" to make that moment cooler than it will be in the final game, but damn.
Oh yeah! It took a couple of watches but I caught on to that as well. The combat is going to be just finem

Loudninja

I already love the look of the combat with just this limited set.

Yeah it look pretty awesome.

MaxHouse

Banned
I'm getting some Dark Souls vibes from the combat, which by all means is a great thing. I really can't wait to see more of it.

Although it might not be as iconic as the blades...I think the Axe is going to be a versatile weapon and the combat looks awesome....

I do think we will see the blades again towards the end of the game

Although it might not be as iconic as the blades...I think the Axe is going to be a versatile weapon and the combat looks awesome....

I do think we will see the blades again towards the end of the game
Nah, no more blades. It almost looks like Kratos is covering his scars on purpose. Trying to forget the past maybe?

I really love the calling back your axe. Sticking guys to walls with that then using another weapon to waste a few more then calling it back to throw it at someone else. Its gona be great.

Ive had enough of the blades. Time for new weapons.

It cant explain it but it like he has alot of power behind each swing.

Seems to have more impact then other GOW games.

For sure. Each swing at the troll looks like it has some power behind it. I also really love how each swing at his leg removes a chunk of flesh leaving big gashes in the leg. Nice touch.

MaxHouse

Banned
Nah, no more blades. It almost looks like Kratos is covering his scars on purpose. Trying to forget the past maybe?

I really love the calling back your axe. Sticking guys to walls with that then using another weapon to waste a few more then calling it back to throw it at someone else. Its gona be great.

that's fair....i think the axe is going to be epic

that's fair....i think the axe is going to be epic
Im sure there will be a weapon in there that has more range like the blades. I found the blades to be a little too OP in the other games. There were other cool weapons but I always came back to the blades. Hopefully the different weapons in this will be cool enough to pull me away from the axe and switch it up more often.

Loudninja

For sure. Each swing at the troll looks like it has some power behind it. I also really love how each swing at his leg removes a chunk of flesh leaving big gashes in the leg. Nice touch.
Yeah didn't notice that lol.

Also the hit reactions in the first monsters are great that sells the combat too.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

As much as I love the blades for their style and versatility, I don't know if they would work too well with this viewpoint. They were great when you could see var around Kratos but up close behind him like this would be kind of awkward to use them.

As much as I love the blades for their style and versatility, I don't know if they would work too well with this viewpoint. They were great when you could see var around Kratos but up close behind him like this would be kind of awkward to use them.
This is true. I wonder if they will be able to work the camera well enough that juggling is still going to be a thing? The way the camera swoops down when he retrieves the axe in mid air out of the troll and smashes the ground.. I hope thats not just in there for the demo and they actually nailed the camera work.

I was meh on a new God Of War, but this cinematic approach they are taking with this new game has made it a day one buy with no hesitation. I played all the previous games and they were fun, but it as mostly just mindless button mashing to me.

OMG that's it, cutscene quality shaders during gameplay...wow

18_rage2.png

How is it running on ps4 and looking so good when its so early?

I don't think it is early. It should be at least two years into development. I expect it to be the Fall 2017 headliner.

Reset

H94q9NI.jpg

Ugh. His beard is so damn ugly in the second image. Should have at least stuck with the old design.

Loudninja

It seems Sony waits 3 years to show off games now or something.

Spider-man ,God of war and Days gone ha all been in dev 3 years.

It seems Sony waits 3 years to show off games now or something.

Spider-man ,God of war and Days gone ha all been in dev 3 years.

Spider-man and God of War are possible for 2017 release but not so much for Days Gone. They just finished core gameplay and I guess all canned projects are counted in that 3 years

GnawtyDog

Banned
so that twirl he does and ground and pound with the axe

is that like a QTE or was that pure gameplay?

Why would that be a QTE? Hec, God of War 1 had a heavy sword that behaved somewhat similar in one of the attacks combo's - spinning attack (either GOW 1 or 2 can't recall well). Didn't GOW also had a ground pound of sort where you jumped in the air and came down?

No QTE.

Top Bottom