• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Vallhalla Announced (Coming December 12, 2023) | The Game Awards 2023

Aenima

Free DLC in a single player game without microtransactions.

3o7aCWJavAgtBzLWrS.webp

... but is rogue-like

EPcvhM28ER9XW.webp

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
All this free DLC is killing game development just like gamepass. :rolleyes:

Nice surprise Sony!

NEbeast

I actually liked the combat, but to me, the most important thing that's arguably even more important than combat in action games is level design. Roguelike pretty much toss that part in the trash bin with randomly generated levels so I can't play them more than a few times.
Just admit you're not good enough, old man.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I actually liked the combat, but to me, the most important thing that's arguably even more important than combat in action games is level design. Roguelike pretty much toss that part in the trash bin with randomly generated levels so I can't play them more than a few times.
Yeah.. im in the same mindset.. I loved returnal but at the same time it got old reaaaally fast .... the best I played until now was Rogue Legacy 2 ... it was very fun but didnt felt toooo rogue like, it had some metroidvania and rpg elements to it so I enjoy it and played well more than Returnal, but once I beated I never touched again.

Never played Hades so cant vouch for it.

Dazraell

It might be worth to change the title to better reflect it's Ragnarok free update. It's very confusing as the first thing you think after seeing a headline that it's a separate game

TrebleShot

Roguelike? Ffs boring what is with the obsession with this trope.

Needs to end, just give us new content that’s compelling, not a small mode that is endlessly repeatable.

DrFigs

Roguelike? Ffs boring what is with the obsession with this trope.

Needs to end, just give us new content that’s compelling, not a small mode that is endlessly repeatable.
there was a roguelike mode in the 2018 game, that was bizarrely missing in Ragnarok. it was like a way to get armor upgrades and whatnot. maybe this was always a plan for them.

Last edited:

Fbh

Free DLC is always welcome.

A roguelike mode is not what I expected but if it's well implemented and not half assed it could be awesome. I really enjoyed the combat in Ragnarok.

WitchHunter

Banned
First GOW related thing that didn't evoke any kind of reaction from me. Well, it reminded me of severe armpit smell. Ragnarok was raped and brutalized by EW and his cohorts that I don't even want to see this thing. Let's hope they'll release CB from the basement @ sony and let him helm something new or a proper GOW like game where limbs are flying as they should.

WitchHunter

Banned
I don't know why people are complaining about FREE DLC. lol

Single-player games have less replay value than multiplayer games so it's great to see devs adding more replay value to their games.
Why not ask David Jaffe whether he feels a tingling sensation - seeing this thing - around his back orifice. : DDD

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Meh. Should have made a mode where you can play the game without all the walking and talking, cut the sections with anyone but Kratos... straight slaying your way to the bosses, with denser enemy placement and more variety. Would have been much cooler than a rouge-like mode.

makaveli60

Why so many rogue like games nowadays? I get it’s “easier” to develop as s lot of thins are not made “by hand”. But is this really that popular? I can’t stand it. For me it feels lazy and uninspired.

xrnzaaas

Lost me at roguelite. It's like the easiest path to pick these days when you don't actually want to create a brand new story content.

Last edited:
People complaining about the rogue-lite elements when Ivaldi's workshop in GoW 2018 was already a pseudo rogue-lite experience. It's free so I'll give it a try regardless.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Lol here’s a play by play of my reaction.

Wow! a new GOW game!?

- nope

Okay it’s a big story expansion to ragnarock !?

- nope

Oh it’s a small weird rogue type add on..

- farts 😢

hinch7

Meh not my kind of thing but its a cool little add on. And free, so there's that.

Wonder if there's going to be any teasers for the next GoW from this DLC. I know they are working on a new IP but that would be nifty.

Markio128

It doesn’t matter if it’s a roguelike, or a horde mode, or whatever, as long as it’s fun. And to be fair, this kind of mode sounds perfect for GOW. I honestly can’t understand the complaints.

The cyclops in the trailer is pretty intriguing. A totally new enemy, and a Greek one at that.

Then you have this in the description:
Set after the decisive battle against Odin and Atreus' departure, Kratos has seen a path for himself that he never thought possible before. Brought to the mysterious shores of Valhalla accompanied only by Mimir, Kratos will enter its unknown depths to overcome trials within himself and face echoes of his past.

Have to keep expectations tempered with it being a free add-on. But this definitely seems like we will at least be getting some enemies from the Greek series. And maybe just a bit of character development/story progression?

Pretty excited to try it either way. People bitching about a free add-on that comes out 5 days after it's announced is so par for the course and an embarrassment to the hobby.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Doesn't seem like it, but it does sound almost exactly like AC Valhalla's DLC 'Forgotten Saga', which is also roguelite and also free.

q94fbzjjlzs71.jpg

Yes. Lots of games have utilized the rogue-lite trend with DLCs or spin-offs. Yes, AssCreed Valhalla came out after GoW Viking Edition.

Top Bottom