• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Xbox won the Game Awards 2023

Not a shocker, Sony didn't really show up this year.

They had more than they did on most other years.

Rise of the Ronin
Helldivers 2
God of War Ragnarok: Valhalla

Plus some other games associated with them like FFXVI had announcements too that will only benefit their fanbase.

It's not great but it's decent. It means that when they do have their main announcement show it'll be bangers or filled with strong titles.

BlueLyria

There is indeed a difference, but they are still first party games all the same.

Ronin and Helldivers are first party games developed by external studios. Just like Bloodbourne or Spiderman PS4 were for Sony, or Smash Bros Ultimate or Bayonetta 3 were for Nintendo.
I agree, which is why I rectified my point from "first party" to "internal studios", because after the project is done, it's a studio that is free to accept a contract with any platform (Btw Smash 4 was developed outside? I thought that was a internal game with help of Bandai Namco and one other studio)

But yeah, my point is that the showing for internal studios was poor.

Topher

Gold Member
Rather have them follow MS and keep showing games with no release date?

Besides, apart from some forum-goers that whine about lack of announcements, nobody cares and keep buying PS5.
Even Portal is outselling Xbox in certain markets and selling out the moment they're back in stock.

Follow MS? I can't remember the last time Sony announced a first party game along with the release date. I'm completely fine with that. I'd rather know what they are actually working on than not. Great sales don't change that.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Soooo FFVII Rebirth doesn't count because it will eventually be released on pc.... But every Xbox game that will be released day one on pc counts?

How did we forget that Sony published RPG, FFVII Rebirth.

full.png

Woopah

I agree, which is why I rectified my point from "first party" to "internal studios", because after the project is done, it's a studio that is free to accept a contract with any platform (Btw Smash 4 was developed outside? I thought that was a internal game with help of Bandai Namco and one other studio)

But yeah, my point is that the showing for internal studios was poor.
The Smash Bros. series has never had a game where development was led by an internal studio (For Ultimate it was indeed Bandai Namco).

And that's why I think I don't think it matters if the studio is internal or external.

Put it this way, I think we both agree that Sega had a great showing with all those game announcements. Will it matter if the studios behind those games are owned by Sega or not.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Why would Sony or MS need to win anything? It's not even the point of the show.

All these shitty takes from journalists, devs, hurt fanboys, damn!

giphy.gif
I agree. Didn't know TGA was to be won? That's a new one on me. Gotta get them clicks, I guess...

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Microsoft won the Game Awards?!

What a cringe statement. It's childish, beta male mentality like this that really puts me off gaming.

Fredrik

They had the biggest L too when a potential ”Available now!” PR thing of BG3 on Xbox was minimized into a Twitter post because Geoff told Larian to wrap it up during their speech so it wasn’t announced when millions of people were watching.

NEbeast

It's hilarious watching this fanboy try and spin Bungies shitty management onto Sony even though the devs themselves say its Bungies upper management. It's funny that Paul still tries to pretend he is neutral, he is an absolute shill for xbox

Lokaum D+

Rather have them follow MS and keep showing games with no release date?

Besides, apart from some forum-goers that whine about lack of announcements, nobody cares and keep buying PS5.
Even Portal is outselling Xbox in certain markets and selling out the moment they're back in stock.
Yeah, i do prefer, at least i know what i can expect down the way.

its been a year full of nothing for Sony fans in terms of first party announcents.

Varteras

Gold Member
It's hilarious watching this fanboy try and spin Bungies shitty management onto Sony even though the devs themselves say its Bungies upper management. It's funny that Paul still tries to pretend he is neutral, he is an absolute shill for xbox

I promise you, he shit his pants when word started going around that Sony may assume control of Bungie.

They had the biggest L too when a potential ”Available now!” PR thing of BG3 on Xbox was minimized into a Twitter post because Geoff told Larian to wrap it up during their speech so it wasn’t announced when millions of people were watching.

The fact that the GOTY winner, especially a studio like Larian that deserves to be boosted, was given a miniscule amount of stage time compared to Geoff's reverse cowgirl anal dick riding of Kojima and Peele, should be memorialized in the Gaming Hall of Shame. I'd be fully willing to contribute to a Kickstarter for a fucking statute of that shit. Make sure they put Al Pacino in it for no god damn reason, too. HOO-AH!

Last edited:

Woopah

its been a year full of nothing for Sony fans in terms of first party announcents.
Wolverine was announced September 2021. Over two years ago. I don't recall a single Sony first party studio game being announced since outside of the Gaas stuff.
In terms of Sony published games, Helldivers 2, FairGame$ and Conchord were announced this year.

Last year Rise of the Ronin and Death Stranding 2 were announced.

Plus there are the China Hero titles that Sony have now made first party.

Killjoy-NL

Follow MS? I can't remember the last time Sony announced a first party game along with the release date. I'm completely fine with that. I'd rather know what they are actually working on than not. Great sales don't change that.

For years, people have been complaining that Sony did just that.
Sony then responded that they would announce games closer to release, ie not years before.
Now, people are complaining, because Sony listened.

The gaming community always seems to find something to whine about.
It's safe to assume Sony's studios are working on their next projects and like always, they'll somehow raise raise the bar.

It's standard procedure at this point.

Last edited:
I mean, writer must be desperate for a success story to write bc, well, to "win" the game award... you should win the awards, right? Actually Baldur's Gate and Alan Wake "won" the games awards 2023. It was a games award cerimony, not the "best logo and best trailer online giveaway contest"

vivftp

Wolverine was announced September 2021. Over two years ago. I don't recall a single Sony first party studio game being announced since outside of the Gaas stuff.

The "Gaas stuff" still counts as announcements. So do XDEV and DLC. Since Sept 2021 off the top of my head:

DS2
Rise of the Ronin
Fairgame$
Concord
Marathon
MLB22
MLB23
Destiny 2 Lightfall
Destiny 2 The Final Shape
Helldivers 2
Stellar Blade (formerly Project Eve, now a SIE published game)
Horizon Call of the Mountain
Horizon Burning Shores DLC
Firewall Ultra
The Last of Us Part 1
The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered
God of War Ragnarok Valhalla DLC
Returnal Tower of Sisyphus DLC
Media Molecule also put out Tren within Dreams

If you want to add console exclusives...

FF7 Rebirth
Foamstars
FF16 DLCs
Silent Hill 2 Remake

Last edited:

Kilau

That’s like saying Netflix shouldn’t have existed, but rather iTunes model was better. I just don’t agree. In business, recurring revenue is the holy grail, and that’s what every company is moving to: services.

Secondly, you only need one Forza per generation, milking franchises ruins them, like COD and others.
We did have 4 Forza Horizon games launch on Xbone, two of them cross gen.

Hohenheim

I'm absolutely not a "fan" of any of the console makers over another, but absolutely agree with Forbes on this.

Only interesting PS5 game shown at the award that I can't play on PC day 1 was "Rise of the Ronin" (which looks awesome!).

Topher

Gold Member
In terms of Sony published games, Helldivers 2, FairGame$ and Conchord were announced this year.

Last year Rise of the Ronin and Death Stranding 2 were announced.

Plus there are the China Hero titles that Sony have now made first party.
The "Gaas stuff" still counts as announcements. So do XDEV and DLC. Since Sept 2021 off the top of my head:

DS2
Rise of the Ronin
Fairgame$
Concord
Marathon
MLB22
MLB23
Destiny 2 Lightfall
Helldivers 2
Stellar Blade (formerly Project Eve, now a SIE published game)
Horizon Call of the Mountain
Horizon Burning Shores DLC
Firewall Ultra
The Last of Us Part 1
The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered
God of War Ragnarok Valhalla DLC
Returnal Tower of Sisyphus DLC
Media Molecule also put out Tren within Dreams

If you want to add console exclusives...

FF7 Rebirth
Foamstars
FF16 DLCs
Silent Hill 2 Remake

That's fine, but I'm talking about AAA full game single player announcements for PS5 from Sony's first party studios like Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch. Not Gaas. Not remastered games. Not DLC. Not VR. I'm talking about big games like God of War and Spider-man. Those are the type of games that sold me and plenty of others on PlayStation in the first place.

StereoVsn

I'm absolutely not a "fan" of any of the console makers over another, but absolutely agree with Forbes on this.

Only interesting PS5 game shown at the award that I can't play on PC day 1 was "Rise of the Ronin" (which looks awesome!).
Then Xbox has no exclusives at all as all games release on PC day 1.

Mind you I like that policy as PC is where I play majority of games on, but let’s not apply different standards.

And also once again, FFVIIR2 is console exclusive on PS5. It’s a pretty damn big release.

StereoVsn

That's fine, but I'm talking about AAA full game single player announcements for PS5 from Sony's first party studios like Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch. Not Gaas. Not remastered games. Not DLC. Not VR. I'm talking about big games like God of War and Spider-man. Those are the type of games that sold me and plenty of others on PlayStation in the first place.
Wolverine, DS2, FFVIIR, and Ronin are the big titles I can think about. Yeah, FFVIIR2 is third party but it functionally doesn’t matter considering the result is exclusivity.

That said, no idea what’s going on with Sony internal parties. That has to be bunch of stuff under dev unless Jimbo went completely nuts and everything is now GaaS.

Like where is my Ghost of Tsushima 2!?

Wolverine, DS2, FFVIIR, and Ronin are the big titles I can think about. Yeah, FFVIIR2 is third party but it functionally doesn’t matter considering the result is exclusivity.

That said, no idea what’s going on with Sony internal parties. That has to be bunch of stuff under dev unless Jimbo went completely nuts and everything is now GaaS.

Like where is my Ghost of Tsushima 2!?

Ghost of Tsushima came out in 2020. And you thought the sequel would be out by now?

Woopah

Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog had their last full single player games in 2020, so we'll probably get their next titles in 2025.

In terms of AAA single player games from internal studios, the only ones who could have something for 2024 is probably Sony Bend (mayyyybe a Bluepoint remake too).

vivftp

Then you are in luck! As a fan of those big single player AAA games that sold you on PlayStation, since that Wolverine announcement Sony has released (from first party and exclusive deals):

Gran Turismo 7
Horizon Forbidden West
God of War Ragnarok
Final Fantasy 16
Spider-Man 2

Some might even toss Forspoken in there even if it didn't hit nearly as hard as the above titles.

Of the currently announced stuff that's still to release, using that very specific and narrow criteria you can look forward to:

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
Rise of the Ronin
DS2
Wolverine

There's plenty of already announced games in their channel for single player and live service player gamers. More is obviously being worked on that hasn't been announced yet. Announcing those other games early won't make them come any sooner, and they've already got a bunch of announced games for folks to chew on in the meantime.

Just for a guess at what the remainder of the gen COULD look like, here's the list I'm currently working off of for first party and console exclusive stuff. Including announced, leaked, rumored and speculated content. It's just a rough breakdown and some content could land in different years, but I broke it down into years to illustrate a rough timeline I'm projecting.

2024:
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
MLB24
Concord
Helldivers 2
Foamstars
Little Devil Inside
Baby Steps
Pacific Drive
Team Asobi game
Rise of the Ronin
Spider-Man 2 DLC
Stellar Blade
Lost Soul Aside
Convallaria
TLOU Part 2 PS5/PC
Final Fantasy 16 (second DLC)
DS2
Silent Hill 2 Remake
Granblue Fantasy Relink
Project Mugen

2025:
Wolverine
MLB25
Marathon
Neil Druckmanns game (new IP)
Fairgame$
Bluepoints game
Horizon Online game
Cory Barlogs game (new IP)
Twisted Metal
Destiny 2 post-The Final Shape content
Horizon Zero Dawn Remaster
London Studios live service game
One of the two game-type metaverse titles Jim Ryan mentioned
Bloodborne PS5/PC

2026:
Insomniac MP game
Spider-Man smaller title ala Miles Morales (probably Venom)
MLB26
Ghost of Tsushima 2
Housemarque new IP
TLOU Online
Media Molecules next game
Uncharted (ND/VASG collab)
KOTOR
Bend new IP
Gran Turismo 8
Dark Narrative from Firesprite
Horizon 3
Final Fantasy 7 part 3
Ember Lab XDEV game
Sumo Digital game

2027:
God of War next mainline entry
MLB27
Havens next game
Ratchet & Clank sequel to Rift Apart
From Software XDEV game
Ghost of Tsushima Legends 2
Team Asobi game (another one)
Ballastic Moon game
Project Ooze
One of the two game-type metaverse titles Jim Ryan mentioned
Project Awakening

2028:
TLOU Part 3
MLB28

Topher

Gold Member
And we know that Sony isn't announcing games well in advance, so if they released a game in 2020 and a follow up game takes 5-6 years, why would we get an announcement in 2023?

Spider-man 2 was announced two years before release. So if target release date is 2025 then a 2023 announcement would be about right.

Topher

Gold Member
Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog had their last full single player games in 2020, so we'll probably get their next titles in 2025.

In terms of AAA single player games from internal studios, the only ones who could have something for 2024 is probably Sony Bend (mayyyybe a Bluepoint remake too).

Here's to hoping. Maybe Jimbo will have a big showcase before heading off into the sunset.

ungalo

Stupid journalists feed this neverending loop of Microsoft losing then actually winning, i guess it makes people click. In 2 months they'll shit on them for another failure then give them credit for who knows what then repeat.

Topher

Gold Member
Then you are in luck! As a fan of those big single player AAA games that sold you on PlayStation, since that Wolverine announcement Sony has released (from first party and exclusive deals):

Gran Turismo 7
Horizon Forbidden West
God of War Ragnarok
Final Fantasy 16
Spider-Man 2

Some might even toss Forspoken in there even if it didn't hit nearly as hard as the above titles.

Of the currently announced stuff that's still to release, using that very specific and narrow criteria you can look forward to:

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
Rise of the Ronin
DS2
Wolverine

There's plenty of already announced games in their channel for single player and live service player gamers. More is obviously being worked on that hasn't been announced yet. Announcing those other games early won't make them come any sooner, and they've already got a bunch of announced games for folks to chew on in the meantime.

Just for a guess at what the remainder of the gen COULD look like, here's the list I'm currently working off of for first party and console exclusive stuff. Including announced, leaked, rumored and speculated content. It's just a rough breakdown and some content could land in different years, but I broke it down into years to illustrate a rough timeline I'm projecting.

Eh....I'm probably just a bit spoiled. I should probably try to be less pessimistic.

StereoVsn

Gran Turismo 7
Horizon Forbidden West
God of War Ragnarok
Final Fantasy 16
Spider-Man 2

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
Rise of the Ronin
DS2
Wolverine

For GoT I don’t think it would be a 2026 title. They have the engine for GoT and middleware tools and the pipeline, they could reuse some of the assets, so conceivably it could be an early 2025 title.

Spider-man 2 was announced two years before release. So if target release date is 2025 then a 2023 announcement would be about right.

And you know things have changed since then.

The Last of Us Remastered was announced in November and is coming out in January.

Top Bottom