• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Xbox won the Game Awards 2023

Woopah

Here's to hoping. Maybe Jimbo will have a big showcase before heading off into the sunset.
I think the next showcase is May/June 2024. But there will be a State of Play earlier in the year.
Ronin is second party. Sony is involved in the development via XDEV and acts as the publisher. It's more like a Bloodborne situation.
It's the same as the Spiderman PS4 game, so the term first party can definitely apply to it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I dunno but SE won for me. Shadow drop of FFXVI DLC, FFVII R trailer that’s good and spoilery, and Visions of Mana announcement.

Topher

Gold Member
And you know things have changed since then.

The Last of Us Remastered was announced in November and is coming out in January.

I don't think the timing of a remaster is indicative of anything, but if you are expecting new game announcements to follow that tight of a schedule then I hope you are right.

vivftp

For GoT I don’t think it would be a 2026 title. They have the engine for GoT and middleware tools and the pipeline, they could reuse some of the assets, so conceivably it could be an early 2025 title.

It very well could be. As I noted the dates could very well be shuffled about, I was just breaking things down by year for illustrative purposes. My contention is that the latter half of this gen is going to be extremely dense with content for PlayStation. Add to that the fact that this list doesn't include all the VR content, the Hero Projects, additional indie content, unknown first party games/DLC, unknown third party content. I contend that the actual result for the next few years is going to be considerably greater than what I've put in that list.

I don't think the timing of a remaster is indicative of anything, but if you are expecting new game announcements to follow that tight of a schedule then I hope you are right.

It doesn't need to be that tight, but I don't think we're going to get many titles announced 2 years in advance unless they're trying to push a new console.

Maybe it'll go back to normal the further we get from the direct impact of the pandemic, but with the push for remote work, who knows.

nick776

Timing is everything. PS5 Pro has probably been in R&D since the launch of the PS5 if not earlier.

It appears Microsoft had no plans for a 3rd model, since that would take a lot of effort to support 3 different models AND PC and maybe they thought the payoff wasn't there like some of these posters who only think the previous gen's pro consoles were for 4K graphics in the advent of 4KTVs.

Ultimately, this is more like a stab wound than a cut.

I've talked about it before, Microsoft makes a lot of decisions that by themselves make sense, but when put together generally don't. Having the controller work on the new system is a strong move to retain players from the Xbox One userbase and carry them over, and they would know they were at risk for losing out on those players. If they put out a new controller too, none of the enhancements could be required in games, lest they not work with the old controllers. That's why Sony said you can use Dual Shock 4 on PS5, but only with PS4 games, which they got some flack for.

Releasing a haptic controller now just doesn't really do much, since again, all games have to work without it.

The Series S makes sense on paper too. People are very concerned about price, but gamers aren't necessarily cheap. All things being equal they might go with the cheaper console, but they don't want a cheaper model, and the XSS doesn't compete well in family or kid games with the Switch.

Even if you understood the market better, the damage has been done. That's why you see such negative coverage in the media for Sony, despite them having potentially a record sales year and Microsoft is in the 3rd year of their console life cycle and are already in massive decline. Excluding something like the Wii U, I don't know that we've seen a performance like this since like the Dreamcast.

They've lost this generation and the damage will carry over to the next generation.

If the PS5 drops in price after the Pro unit comes out, it'll be even more difficult for the XSX to compete because of the digital PS5 Slim.
Yes, that is another concern. If the PS5 price drops when the Pro comes out and Series X price stays the same, MSFT may as well call it quits. I agree, too, that it was more like a stab wound. In the end, it's all just really dumb decisions on their part that got them here.

Hohenheim

Then Xbox has no exclusives at all as all games release on PC day 1.

Mind you I like that policy as PC is where I play majority of games on, but let’s not apply different standards.

And also once again, FFVIIR2 is console exclusive on PS5. It’s a pretty damn big release.
Yeah, I forgot about FF7. I don't hold my hopes up too much, as the first one was terrible boring, but hopefully this one steps up and brings back some of the magic.

As for Xbox and exclusives, that's absolutely right. I don't even have a Xbox console anymore, since PC Game Pass is my "xbox".
Last game of interest on PS5 was FF16 and the next one is Rise of the Ronin for me, so yeah - consoles are pretty much just collecting dust for me these days.

Kataploom

Gold Member
This is a list of confirmed/leaked SIE first party and published content along with console exclusive content that'll drop in 2024

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
MLB24
Destiny 2 The Final Shape
Concord
Helldivers 2
Foamstars
Baby Steps
Pacific Drive
Rise of the Ronin
Stellar Blade
Lost Soul Aside
TLOU Part 2 PS5/PC
Final Fantasy 16 (second DLC)
Silent Hill 2 Remake
Granblue Fantasy Relink

Other content that's rumored that could land in 2024 is:

Spider-Man 2 DLC
DS2
Wolverine
Project Mugen
That list is full of third parties and you even added TLOU P2 Remaster, it only supports my theory that Sony internally messed up with content production 🤷‍♂️

Sony didn’t even show up and I still prefer god of war dlc and FF16 dlc over shit like hellblade.

I never understood how HellBlade got so much hype. I mean it did a lot of good things but the game play was so bad how can anyone enjoy that? I guess to each his own but man I could not get into that game.

LordCBH

I never understood how HellBlade got so much hype. I mean it did a lot of good things but the game play was so bad how can anyone enjoy that? I guess to each his own but man I could not get into that game.

Like don’t get me wrong, I thought the story in the first one was decent. But as a game it was absolute dogshit.

Crayon

I don't remember a ton of hype. Seemed like a typical early-gen game pop. I remember it being positively talked about as a kind of sleeper hit. I never remember a wave behind it like nier:a built up, for instance. Seems hellblade came and went, but did manage to leave a little impression.

Top Bottom