• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 is GAME OF THE YEAR 2023!

Laieon

I just started playing this last week and I'm only about 5 hours in, but I can already tell this is well deserved. I've never played D&D though, so the countless spells are a bit confusing. The combat is easily the part I'm enjoying the least, with the narrative stuff and the dice rolls being my favorite.

Hogwarts Legacy is still my personal favorite GOTY though.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I never got a woke vibe from BG3. This thread is the first time I’ve heard it too.
People just don’t like 🐻! 😂

BG3 is of course quite a progressive game, but it doesn’t really push “the message” like Spider-Man 2 and such. It just let people play how they want to play.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Suck it Zelda
Either would have been kinda lame.

BotW2.0 vs divinity original sin 3

sam winchester yawn GIF

Dave the diver was robbed

BlackTron

one particular minor character who is a trans woman who goes on some rant about 'finding out who she really was' (who is also voiced by one),

Nice integration, authentic. They got the real thing! I just hope the character model was not based on the real thing.

buenoblue

Yeah, odd comment, BG3 is way, way harder than Spider-Man 2 when you crank the difficulty up. The new Honour mode is brutal.
Really? There's no precision or skill to BG3 combat at all. No knock on it but it is what it is. I just prefer reflexes and real time combat that's all.

I wish they had dragon age style combat where you can pause but can play in real time if you want.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Didn't get to watch the awards, but this is 100% deserved. Easily far and away the best game of the year.

And it did it all while falling into one of the most niche categories that I can think of. They made a game so good that it had mainstream players lining up to play a turn-based RPG that uses dice as its core mechanic.
Meanwhile, Square Enix thinks it needs to turn Final Fantasy into Devil May Cry to reach mainstream audiences. If only they leaned into their strengths too.

Based Larian

nial

Gold Member
Sony didn't win a single award. Good to see. Other than God of War, they haven't released anything notable in years.
Not even going to use Spider-Man 2 as an example, if you think Gran Turismo 7 VR is nothing notable, sorry, you're just a blinded warri-
lol, a TV show. Very depictive of their games. Walk and talk story, no gameplay
Oh...

Or has different taste??

I can recognize BG3 as a significant achievement and well earned GOTY

TotK would have been my personal GOTY though. So what?
Exactly I personally thought BOTW was one of the worst Zelda games I've ever played. I enjoyed the exploration but everything else I loved about Zelda games was ruined. Boss fights were a joke. I literally just spammed attack one of the bosses and never moved it was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen in a Zelda game. Games that used to have fun boss fights. Oh well people loved it and it actually spawned a lot of great copy cats that I enjoyed and I feel did things better.

Senua

Ok ok you win. BG3 is the most skillful and precise combat ever and I am wrong for not liking turn based combat sorry.
No one said it's precise, turn based combat is obviously not precise. Skillful it is though because you have to use your brain outside of the tutorial area if you want to survive. It takes cunning and strategy. I think you know all this really

Now that it's garnered massive acclaim from fans and critics alike, is this where we start the hyperbole on how it'll change the landscape of gaming while preparing to be shocked when it doesn't?

Grats to the team. My heart went to AW2, but clearly BG3 deserves all the success it has from this.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Now that it's garnered massive acclaim from fans and critics alike, is this where we start the hyperbole on how it'll change the landscape of gaming while preparing to be shocked when it doesn't?

Who knows, maybe this will end up being a watershed moment along the lines of TW3 or Dark Souls. For a game in such a niche genre to boast this level of overwhelming success and recognition, I'd be astounded if at least some ears in the industry haven't perked up already.

Who knows, maybe this will end up being a watershed moment along the lines of TW3 or Dark Souls. For a game in such a niche genre to boast this level of overwhelming success and recognition, I'd be astounded if at least some ears in the industry haven't perked up already.
Undoubtedly some are going to look at it's success and perhaps find a way to fit at least something of it into their games. My comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek poke at the overreaction of expectations people have when a game blows up this big.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
It would've been hilarious if he had gone back home without winning the award, after wearing that shiny armor. He clearly believed in his game. Congrats!

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Ok ok you win. BG3 is the most skillful and precise combat ever and I am wrong for not liking turn based combat sorry.
You have every right to prefer real time combat but you can't say that turn based tactical combat doesn't need skill. It's like saying chess sucks because it's not skill based. It requires lots of skill, just not the same as throwing a ball...

buenoblue

No one said it's precise, turn based combat is obviously not precise. Skillful it is though because you have to use your brain outside of the tutorial area if you want to survive. It takes cunning and strategy. I think you know all this really

Yeah I played the game for like 10 hours. I liked the voice acting and story. I liked turned based stuff back in the day. I just prefer real time combat and wished they found a way to make real time comat work.

Camreezie

Can you enjoy BG3 if you hate the imagination element of D and D with the fire of a thousand suns?

Last edited:
Really? There's no precision or skill to BG3 combat at all. No knock on it but it is what it is. I just prefer reflexes and real time combat that's all.

I wish they had dragon age style combat where you can pause but can play in real time if you want.

Mentions "Dragon Age style" when talking about Baldur's Gate...

How old are you dude?

You do realised even with dragon age, its all unseen dice rolls that dictate combat.

buenoblue

You have every right to prefer real time combat but you can't say that turn based tactical combat doesn't need skill. It's like saying chess sucks because it's not skill based. It requires lots of skill, just not the same as throwing a ball...
Mentions "Dragon Age style" when talking about Baldur's Gate...

How old are you dude?
You do realised even with dragon age, its all unseen dice rolls that dictate combat.

What a bunch of nerds 🤣

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I just started playing this last week and I'm only about 5 hours in, but I can already tell this is well deserved. I've never played D&D though, so the countless spells are a bit confusing. The combat is easily the part I'm enjoying the least, with the narrative stuff and the dice rolls being my favorite.

Hogwarts Legacy is still my personal favorite GOTY though.
I haven't played D&D in a couple decades but this isn't about D&D it the fact there are too many spells. On console there are something like 6 wheels of spells and options. Too much. Still GOTY!

skit_data

It was a bit awkward to see Phil Spencer misspelling the name of the game when congratulating the studio.

Yeah yeah, in sweden we pronounce Baldur as Balder but I doubt that was what he was going for.

Last edited:
I'm heading into Gamestop today with a bunch of last gen controllers to trade in for a Steam Scratch Code Card just to buy BG3.
I hope I can get at least 5 bucks per controller, some had the ole drift thing going on.

Top Bottom