• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Has an Unfortunate 10 Year Streak at The Game Awards

Who Cares GIF by Judge Judy
Rare

Not having a single candidate in more than 10 years is horrible, we are no longer talking about winning, simply about having something "gotty quality" that Sony and Nintendo have delivered almost every year, this year it seemed that Starfield was going to be the first but he didn't measure up.
Installments in the Forza Horizon franchise are Game of the Generation quality. You can play them for 500 hours and still have a thrilling experience when jumping back in. Most of the GOTY nominees are one and done type games.

graywolf323

Installments in the Forza Horizon franchise are Game of the Generation quality. You can play them for 500 hours and still have a thrilling experience when jumping back in. Most of the GOTY nominees are one and done type games.
Mood What GIF by NBC

replayability is not the end all be all of what makes a game of the year/generation 🤨

i wonder if the next week of Xbox centric podcast are going to be all "doom and gloom" with a pinch of "Media bias" and their next talking points to cope with all this bullshit

Bungie

Hellblade 2 is Xbox's best shot at what typically wins for game of the year.
Gamerat also just released a article saying Elder Scrolls 6 needs a trailer because GTA 6 is getting a trailer. The things they bring up are tough to even read nor have a discussion about.
Current Microsoft will never apply pressure to their studios & say make a game like this because this other studio got game of the year. As long as they keep adding great multiplayer aspects to their games or a deep game I play for a actual year unlike the 20 hour collectaton Spider-Man 2, that we had to wait 5 years for. I don't care if they ever win. I'm a happy gamer regardless.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

You don't believe that, do you? Seems impossible. In over two decades Xbox has NEVER WON one award? That doesn't seem bizarre at all? Like.....at all????

Cmon...let's not hazard looking daft to try and keep up this narrative that Sony and Nintendo are the only ones who have made excellent games. Hell, Xbox has been in the game for over two decades. They've definitely had some heavy hitting, award deserving games in all this time. Fuck the haters, one and all. It is what it is.
I play on every system and I am absolutely positive about what I said.

Tell me: what games are you thinking about? Because apart from Halo CE, and maybe Gears 1 and 2, no I don't see any Xbox game that deserve to be taken into consideration for GOTY title, and I don't care about console warring and also think that some of Sony's and Nintendo's games are overrated.

My post is not provocative, I am really interested to know what Xbox first or second party games could/should have won GOTY, because I spent quite some time to check before answering you, and I don't see ANY good candidate.

2022 - Elden Ring over GOW
2021 - It takes Two over Ratchet
2020 - TLOU2
2019 - Sekiro over Death Stranding
2018 - GOW
2017 - Zelda over Horizon
2016 - Overwatch over uncharted 4
2015 - Witcher 3 over Bloodborne

Thats 2 in the last 10 years.
Yes seems to be a pretty varied list of mostly deserving winners (except Overwatch). From Software has won as many times as Sony!

2023 will likely be a battle between BG3 vs Zelda 2. As Zelda won in 2017 (and Zelda 2 is quite similar as 1?), BG3 is likely to be the winner.

BG3 being a 2023 PS5 console exclusive thanks to Xbox hardware designers here. :messenger_clapping:

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

They suck and not winning any GOTY award is expected. And they have been buying underwhelming game companies like double fine, Bethesda games, and activision their games output is pretty much cod. I do not expect this to change. Phil Spencer green lights expensive unfinished turds.

Topher

Gold Member

May be GOTG to you and that's fine, but you are talking about a genre with limited appeal which is why the Forza games don't win GOTY except from a few outlets.

Hudo

Who gives a flying fuck about the game awards? That event is even worse than the fucking Oscars are, lmao.

Nothing that has and will ever be said or "awarded" there has any meaning. It's Geoff's glorified ad show with which he earns his money.

Last edited:

kyussman

Game Awards are a bit of a joke to me tbh......but one nomination in ten years has to say something about Xbox's approach to gaming given they are one of the major players.

Pelta88

It's neither prestigious or important. In truth, it's an avenue for one man to make a profit from an advertising blitz.

But none of the above detract from the facts of the matter or the issues they point to.

Last edited:
May be GOTG to you and that's fine, but you are talking about a genre with limited appeal which is why the Forza games don't win GOTY except from a few outlets.
The Horizon games are pretty accessible. I would say that anyone that likes driving in open world games would find great enjoyment in them.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
No doubt about that. Forza Horizon is top dog when it comes to open world driving, but I just think that genre has a hard ceiling that keeps it out of the GOTY conversation.

There's also the (positive, in every other aspect) issue that Horizon has been consistently well received. Its expected to be good, so its always meeting high but crucially known expectations, but not really coming in out of left-field and blowing people's minds.

There's always a big psychological element to what things "blow up". FROM's stuff is a great example as its their non-mainline Souls' titles that get the most praise, because it has a certain surprise factor on top of their established pedigree.

Last edited:
I play on every system and I am absolutely positive about what I said.

Tell me: what games are you thinking about? Because apart from Halo CE, and maybe Gears 1 and 2, no I don't see any Xbox game that deserve to be taken into consideration for GOTY title, and I don't care about console warring and also think that some of Sony's and Nintendo's games are overrated.

My post is not provocative, I am really interested to know what Xbox first or second party games could/should have won GOTY, because I spent quite some time to check before answering you, and I don't see ANY good candidate.
Lost oddysey?

But damn we really do have to go back 10+ years to find a good single player Xbox game.

PanzerCute

Lost oddysey?

But damn we really do have to go back 10+ years to find a good single player Xbox game.
Lost Odyssey was alright, but not GOTY Material in my opinion. I think people forget about the insane grinding you have to do and the atrocious pacing that game had. And I mean, it didn't review that well at the time.

And to add on that, on 2007, we saw the releases of Bioshock, Mass Effect, STALKER, Mario Sunshine, FF Tactics, Team Fortress 2, or COD4. And as much as I loved Lost Odyssey, it's not on the same league at all. These games are legendary, started great series and are still discussed everywhere on the internet. (that doesn't mean I love these games, tho, but objectively they are head and shoulders above LO)
And also, even if it's a game produced by Microsoft, that's still a japanese RPG done by a fully japanese team, it would be a stretch to count it as a pure Microsoft product imo.

0neAnd0nly

Screw the game awards - spineless garbage tier show. Best selling game of the year absent, completely spineless behavior.

Hellblade 2 is Xbox's best shot at what typically wins for game of the year.
Gamerat also just released a article saying Elder Scrolls 6 needs a trailer because GTA 6 is getting a trailer. The things they bring up are tough to even read nor have a discussion about.
Current Microsoft will never apply pressure to their studios & say make a game like this because this other studio got game of the year. As long as they keep adding great multiplayer aspects to their games or a deep game I play for a actual year unlike the 20 hour collectaton Spider-Man 2, that we had to wait 5 years for. I don't care if they ever win. I'm a happy gamer regardless.
Great multiplayer aspects like Redfall where a whopping 36 players are actually playing the game because the multiplayer is so great? Or the great Halo Infinite multiplayer with only a few players compared to other games?

PanzerCute

Screw the game awards - spineless garbage tier show. Best selling game of the year absent, completely spineless behavior.
Selling a lot doesnt mean quality. Hogwarts Legacy is just another random OW that happens to be in one of the most famous universe of these past decades.

I wouldnt give it above 7/10 to be honest. And remove the HP stuff and the game would have been just a decent seller.

I agree with you on VGA tho, their awards are worthless.

Last edited:
It's unfortunate? What is wrong with the games media? Why are they afraid of Microsoft? Why not just be truthful and say it how is it? There's always a positive Microsoft Spin.

Last edited:

Danknugz

another napoleon complex thread. i love playstation as much as anyone else but the way i understand console wars, aren't playstation fans supposed to be happy that they "won" with more sales and popularity for playstation, they are the cool and popular gamers with all the chicks etc.

why is so much effort out into pointing and laughing at ms/xbox?

Topher

Gold Member
another napoleon complex thread. i love playstation as much as anyone else but the way i understand console wars, aren't playstation fans supposed to be happy that they "won" with more sales and popularity for playstation, they are the cool and popular gamers with all the chicks etc.

You think it takes effort for Xbox/PlayStation warriors to point and laugh at Xbox/PlayStation?

Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF

0neAnd0nly

Selling a lot doesnt mean quality. Hogwarts Legacy is just another random OW that happens to be in one of the most famous universe of these past decades.

I wouldnt give it above 7/10 to be honest. And remove the HP stuff and the game would have been just a decent seller.

I agree with you on VGA tho, their awards are worthless.

9/10 on STEAM

84 Metacritic Critic Score (that isn’t factoring in that several of those bombed it on purpose)

85 Metacritic User.

It deserves nominations. They excluded it 100% due to fear of pushback.

Danknugz

You think it takes effort for Xbox/PlayStation warriors to point and laugh at Xbox/PlayStation?

Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF
i never pay attention but i just see tons threads rallying around and people feeling cool they can point to things like marketing and sales and spend all day talking about how much better playstation is than xbox, seems like a lot of concern and effort to me

Topher

Gold Member
i never pay attention but i just see tons threads rallying around and people feeling cool they can point to things like marketing and sales and spend all day talking about how much better playstation is than xbox, seems like a lot of concern and effort to me

Wasn't that long ago that Xbox fans were beating their chest about Microsoft winning Publisher of the Year and Nadella Satya bragging about Xbox outselling PlayStation for three quarters straight in the US. Call it "concern and effort" if you want but it works both ways.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wasn't that long ago that Xbox fans were beating their chest about Microsoft winning Publisher of the Year and Nadella Satya bragging about Xbox outselling PlayStation for three quarters straight in the US. Call it "concern and effort" if you want but it works both ways.
Fans never ask MS, a trillion dollar company, to do better. They just blame the "other team."

I’ve wondered this myself about some in the PlayStation community, not only about GAF but other places as well. It’s like that yearbook meme “it’s not only that I should succeed, others should fail”. The market needs a strong Sony and MS. History has proven you don’t want either of these companies to be comfortably alone, because we are the ones who get screwed.

Topher

Gold Member
I’ve wondered this myself about some in the PlayStation community, not only about GAF but other places as well. It’s like that yearbook meme “it’s not only that I should succeed, others should fail”.

We've seen that same meme from not just the Xbox community but Xbox leadership.

The market needs a strong Sony and MS. History has proven you don’t want either of these companies to be comfortably alone, because we are the ones who get screwed.

I agree with you here 100% though.

Last edited:
I’ve wondered this myself about some in the PlayStation community, not only about GAF but other places as well. It’s like that yearbook meme “it’s not only that I should succeed, others should fail”. The market needs a strong Sony and MS. History has proven you don’t want either of these companies to be comfortably alone, because we are the ones who get screwed.

I don't think anyone wants MS to fail. They want them to change.

Many of us loved the early Xbox days where they seemed to have an identity and were hungry. Current management has been completely aloof for nearly 15 years, and their fanbase continues to aggressively defend EVERYTHING they do.

And if they don't change? Why wouldn't I want them to fail? I don't want them to buy up most of the industry and ruin those companies with their poor management in the process. I want them to organically grow the industry by making their own impact.

Top Bottom