• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking Back, Xbox Has Had Some Strange GOTY Omissions Over The Years [PureXbox]

miklonus

Two things are at play: Microsoft's leadership sucks/and Hogwart's Legacy got snubbed, so Geoff's show ain't against snubbing people for political reasons.

Microsoft more than likely can't make the grade, but it needs to be pointed out that if Microsoft could make the grade, Hogwart's Legacy is proof that having all the qualities to be a nominee and still getting snubbed is a very real reality.
The most prestigious game award ceremony, at least to me, will always be the GDC Awards anyway. Those are the Oscars, this is the MTV Movie Awards.
Laieon Laieon has my favorite line so far today. This needs to be read by more people.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
So what is so bad about it that it's an embarrassment? I was expecting it to play pretty well at least since it looks like it plays so similarly to Insomniac's 90+ rated open world game in 2023. I'm sure Spider Man has more cinematic moments, and the web swinging is cool. I just was curious why Sunset Overdrive is a laughing stock.

Looks pretty similar. Maybe a bit more player input required. The web swinging is cooler looking and feels good but is kinda easy.

Last edited:
Since when do so many people care about these awards? All we heard when Starfield won the Golden Joystick or whatever is that TGA are bought and paid for PR stunts.

Websites looking for clicks and warriors for other platforms:
Angry Jim Henson GIF by Muppet Wiki

Xbox users not giving a shit:
Happy Joy GIF

Topher

Gold Member
If you want to talk about snubs let's talk about Hogwarts Legacy, an RPG (well at least more of one than Starfield) that reviewed better than Starfield.

The game received no mention at all and that is the real travesty about the game awards. It was obviously black-balled out of cowardice and fear. That's more noteworthy than a very small minority of Xbox fans who just like to cry loudly.

miklonus

Eh. hogwarts is a good game but its extremely mediocre in everything from combat, game design, and storytelling. Its one big accomplishment is getting the world right but thats hardly enough. its a ubisoft game with a great setting. nothing more. And ubisoft games never get nominated.

Had they focused on delivering a good story with some memorable moments then maybe it wouldve gotten a nomination. But right now, its an aggressively mediocre game.
I'll take your word for it. I haven't played it, but people gave it constant praise, on top of it constantly being in top 10 and top 20 selling lists. It just felt weird for it to not be in ANY category. I'm on record as having really liked RE4 remake, but even I am surprised that RE4 is on there.

graywolf323

Since when do so many people care about these awards? All we heard when Starfield won the Golden Joystick or whatever is that TGA are bought and paid for PR stunts.

Websites looking for clicks and warriors for other platforms:
Angry Jim Henson GIF by Muppet Wiki

Xbox users not giving a shit:
Happy Joy GIF
eh? Xbox tax was trending on Twitter, the users are just as bad

meanwhile you have people like Jez actually coming off reasonable due to this

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
So what is so bad about it that it's an embarrassment? I was expecting it to play pretty well at least since it looks like it plays so similarly to Insomniac's 90+ rated open world game in 2023. I'm sure Spider Man has more cinematic moments, and the web swinging is cool. I just was curious why Sunset Overdrive is a laughing stock.

Looks pretty similar. Maybe a bit more player input required. The web swinging is cooler looking and feels good but is kinda easy.

Controls aren't like Spider-man so I can't really say it's a similar game. Sunset Overdrive was Insomniac's first open world game, though, and it was a great first attempt with better side quests than the games that have followed it.

Mowcno

Bizarre article.

The example they give of Gears 3 being snubbed over Arkham City and Uncharted 3 being strange just doesn't make sense

Both Arkham City and Uncharted 3 were reviewed better and had a higher metascore than gears 3 so why should it be odd they were nominated over it for an award from critics.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Controls aren't like Spider-man so I can't really say it's a similar game. Sunset Overdrive was Insomniac's first open world game, though, and it was a great first attempt with better side quests than the games that have followed it.
Interesting. I'll have to try it out soon. Just watching it, it looks super similar in traversal at least. But yeah, different controller layout can change things for sure.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Everything.
If it's because you think purple place is full of Xbots... I can't agree with that. I was banned many times over there for being an Xbot. Ultimately, I peaced out with an anti-woke post and realized Tyler always had the best thing going here.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Interesting. I'll have to try it out soon. Just watching it, it looks super similar in traversal at least. But yeah, different controller layout can change things for sure.
It's not really a different controller layout. The traversal is all about grinding and air-dashing. Think Jet Set Radio but add bar swings, air dashes, and ground pounds that throw you up even higher into the air. The basic idea is to keep stringing all those traversal elements into combos in order to do more damage. It's a very fun gameplay loop that is probably a bit more intense than Spider-man (not criticizing Spider-man here... Insomniac nailed the controls).

Sunset Overdrive and Ori and the Blind Forest Classics?
I think so. Those are 2 of my fav games. Ori and the Blind Forest would have been a GotY contender if it released a few years later as a Switch exclusive, IMO. It's a fantastic game. I think the sequel is weaker, unfortunately, but it's still a good game with a satisfying conclusion.

Last edited:

soulbait

If this year was not stacked with so many great games, then I think Starfield would have been nominated. However, you cannot nominate all the games and there were a ton of great games this year.

I still think Starfield is a great game and I have put more hours in it than any other game this year (still have not played BG3). However, I also know that other games out there this year have been amazine.

Last edited:

ungalo

Not a big IP. And it's also why Spiderman 2 got better scores than 1. Because the massive success of 1 happened in between.

I think they don't take the right approach and that's why it sounds like conspiracy theories. Big IPs get big ratings, it's some kind of circular logic.

This is also why all things considered Halo Infinite was not destroyed by media outlets. Because it's Halo and it still means something.

graywolf323

It's a reaction article for clicks, but Sunset Overdrive and Ori and the Blind Forest are definitely classics that got snubbed. I was happy Psychonauts 2 at least got a nod. That's one of my all-time favorite games.
how was Ori snubbed? it lost that year to Rocket League for best Indie and these were the nominees for GOTY

I mean I could see an argument for it over Mario Maker but indie like titles always have a hard time getting recognition for overall GOTY

skit_data

Eh. hogwarts is a good game but its extremely mediocre in everything from combat, game design, and storytelling. Its one big accomplishment is getting the world right but thats hardly enough. its a ubisoft game with a great setting. nothing more. And ubisoft games never get nominated.

Had they focused on delivering a good story with some memorable moments then maybe it wouldve gotten a nomination. But right now, its an aggressively mediocre game.
I agree, Hogwarts Legacy was surprisingly well made for a license game and the developers love for the source material shines through.

But as a game it didn't manage to keep my attention. The loot system, the wierd character progession pace and having to transmog everything each new item (i.e the ones you pick up better alternatives to every 5 mins) to not look like a complete incohesive mess made me fall off completely. I still have it installed but I'm starting to question wheter I'll actually finish it.

It is indeed not more than "pretty good for what it is". Not a GOTY. Possibly in art direction because that part is on point.

Last edited:

Kilau

how was Ori snubbed? it lost that year to Rocket League for best Indie and these were the nominees for GOTY

I mean I could see an argument for it over Mario Maker but indie like titles always have a hard time getting recognition for overall GOTY
Fallout 4 is garbage through and through so Ori could have that spot.

graywolf323

Fallout 4 is garbage through and through so Ori could have that spot.
perhaps but even on here Fallout 4 finished higher than Ori

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
rmyRoeN.png
2d9lrdI.png
ybdY22l.png

Here now you know why those 2 games might have been nominated over Gears 3. This is a terrible example.
I never understood Uncharted 3's high score. It would be fun to see some polls taken now for previous years. I could be wrong, but most discourse I've seen on Uncharted 3 seems to show that it ended up being a disappointment.

ungalo

I never understood Uncharted 3's high score. It would be fun to see some polls taken now for previous years. I could be wrong, but most discourse I've seen on Uncharted 3 seems to show that it ended up being a disappointment.
After Uncharted 2 yes a little, but it's the same for Gears 3.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member

Nothing about Ori feels indie to me. The production values are very impressive. That's what is so special about it. It would be like calling Super Mario Bros. Wonder an indie game.
perhaps but even on here Fallout 4 finished higher than Ori

Life is Strange at #5. Wow.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I like how the two examples cited shows nominated games that were better, mor eimpactful than the examples from Xbox that year.

Topher

Gold Member

That's simply because it wasn't as good as Uncharted 2. It was still a kick ass game. You didn't like it and that's fine, but that's just you. Completely understandable that an Xbox fan would like Gears better, primarily because Gears and Halo are often cited as the basis for many being Xbox fans. For PlayStation fans, Uncharted is rated just as highly. Just preferences my man.

The only thing Microsoft has to do is buy the winners, it already has Bethesda which has the goty 2007, 2011 and 2016, the next step is to buy Rockstar to beat Sony and Nintendo as the best video game developer! Cheer up!

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
That's simply because it wasn't as good as Uncharted 2. It was still a kick ass game. You didn't like it and that's fine, but that's just you. Completely understandable that an Xbox fan would like Gears better, primarily because Gears and Halo are often cited as the basis for many being Xbox fans. For PlayStation fans, Uncharted is rated just as highly. Just preferences my man.
I actually like Uncharted 1 and 2 better than any of the Gears games.

TexMex

Love that they had to go back to the 360 to find an example, and it missed out against Uncharted 3 and Arkham City, two games which are absolutely better than Gears 3.

Crayon

Now I'm starting to understand why resetera is what it is.

Perpetual victims, not only in life, but also in their choice of gaming platform.

They're also highly vulnerable to social media campaigning. When the word goes out to start spamming stalking point it's like a fucking tsunami over there. That makes Ms attractive because they facilitate so much of the action.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Fair enough. So you ain't an "xbot" after all. :messenger_beaming:
Oh no, I'm pretty much an Xbot, but I blame Sony for driving me into it by killing SEGA.

Yes, I'm fully aware that SEGA killed themselves (even though Sony didn't help by buying off a lot of the industry through gaming deals in the PSX era). 17-year-old me will always blame Sony. It's just in my heart. :messenger_grinning:

Top Bottom