• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking Back, Xbox Has Had Some Strange GOTY Omissions Over The Years [PureXbox]

Gudji

copium-copege.gif

damidu

What's with Xbox fan-hards and their persecution complexes?

Imagine feeling the need to constantly defend a trillion-dollar corporation because they're failing to compete in the gaming market...
its a textbook tactic to keep idiots within your losing cause for over 2 decades.
everyone is out to get xbox !!
eliminates any need for actual self criticism

Last edited:

Woopah

Two things are at play: Microsoft's leadership sucks/and Hogwart's Legacy got snubbed, so Geoff's show ain't against snubbing people for political reasons.

Microsoft more than likely can't make the grade, but it needs to be pointed out that if Microsoft could make the grade, Hogwart's Legacy is proof that having all the qualities to be a nominee and still getting snubbed is a very real reality.
Why is it a snub for a list created by critics to include games with better critical reception than Hogwarts? If the nominee list was bigger, Street Fighter 6 and Octopath 2 could have got in ahead of Hogwarts.

The only two games I would consider GOTY contenders from internal Xbox studios are Fable (2004) and Forza Horizon 3 (2016). Then again, I am averse to shooters and online play...

That's simply because it wasn't as good as Uncharted 2. It was still a kick ass game. You didn't like it and that's fine, but that's just you. Completely understandable that an Xbox fan would like Gears better, primarily because Gears and Halo are often cited as the basis for many being Xbox fans. For PlayStation fans, Uncharted is rated just as highly. Just preferences my man.
I loved playing through Uncharted 3 while forcing myself through the second and never bothering with the first.

Last edited:
I'm just gonna say something.....

Every single talking point from the Xbros "pundits"/Executives has been a complete joke...and they deserve to suffer ridicule. This amount of severe butthurtiness it´s just the cherry on top.

1. Game Pass/Ecosystem = Actually increases sales, Viral Marketing, Incredible Growth. Reality: Nadella drops GP's growth for compensation after missing projections and there is no irrefutable evidence of all those benefits are true.
2. Full RDNA 2/More Powererful/Better Raytracing Capabilities = What can i say?.....Tools are not ready.
3. Two SKUs Strategy = Masterful plan to capture the low-entry consumer and the enthusiast, leading to more sales and market leadership. Reality: Xbox series sales are worse than ever and Series S has become a pain in the ass for devs.
4. "You just wait until next E3/Year" = They have always made this absurd list of a bunch of games... and NEVER pan out.
5. Scores dosent matter, Awards are fake = BUT MS is 2021 Metacitic´s Publisher of the year. And oh boy, how they used that award as the truth handled by God himself to all humanity. Cut to: 2022... I dont need to say anything.
6. 'Arkane Never Misses'/ 'Starfield is the most important RPG of the last 10 years... and yes, it's exclusive.' We all know what happened in the first case. The funny thing about the second remark is that it can be applied to Baldur's Gate 3... even the exclusive bit... thanks to Series S of all things.
7. ABK acquisition: Now sony needs to compete, once the acquisition closes a bunch of Activision-Blizzard games are going to drop on Game Pass. Including CoD and Diablo IV. Reality: 🦗🦗🦗
8."We want gamers to play everywhere"= if you know, you know
8. 'Xbox Tax' = If it is an Xbox game, it is going to receive more negativity, criticisms, and lower scores.

These people are thisrty for validation, they want that juicy 90+MC AND the Dorito´s Pope GOTY award, but the fact of the matter is that MS has failed to produce games of such quality and significance....However, it's never Microsoft's fault though; it's always someone else's. And that lack of self awarness, even when Phil is coming out and saying "It´s on us to deliver games at quality"; these people keep shifting the blame.

Right now, Microsoft has three games that should accomplish the dream: Project Dark, Fable, and Hellblade 2. Ask yourselves, based in MS´s track record and Industry previuos examples of similar circustances of projects. What are the odds of MS achiving THE Dream?....Yep... What I am saying is that these people are going to keep complaining and taking L after L from their so-called "analyses and industry predictions".

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I liked Starfield but I understand the criticism. I don’t think there is some grand conspiracy. Only one that seems like a snub to me is FH5.
Flight Simulator, goddammit. Exceptional game, world class ongoing support, transcendent VR experience and we have these morons complaining about Gears 3.

To the execs at Microsoft the Xbox fanbase is mana from heaven, they will bitch, moan, point fingers, ride or die for the brand, do anything *except* hold Xbox accountable for it's many failures and demand that they do better (or speak with their wallets and stop supporting the brand period). Meanwhile Nintendo and PlayStation continue to deliver GOTY quality titles year in and year out like clockwork. This level delusion and stupidity is almost admirable.

MarkMe2525

Absolutely seems like an article a website named purexbox would publish. Also what is up with some of these Xbox bashing posts? The way some people speak of the xbox brand is as if it was someone who smashed their girl. I mean, people are entitled to their opinion, but some seem like their dislike has crossed over the line into some unhealthy fixation.

I guess I couldn't imagine consistently going into a thread about a topic I hate to waste energy talking shit about it.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Absolutely seems like an article a website named purexbox would publish. Also what is up with some of these Xbox bashing posts? The way some people speak of the xbox brand is as if it was someone who smashed their girl. I mean, people are entitled to their opinion, but some seem like their dislike has crossed over the line into some unhealthy fixation.

I guess I couldn't imagine consistently going into a thread about a topic I hate to waste energy talking shit about it.

Phil Spencer fucked my mom. There! Are you happy?? HE'S NOT MY REAL DAD!

bitbydeath

Oh no, I'm pretty much an Xbot, but I blame Sony for driving me into it by killing SEGA.

Yes, I'm fully aware that SEGA killed themselves (even though Sony didn't help by buying off a lot of the industry through gaming deals in the PSX era). 17-year-old me will always blame Sony. It's just in my heart. :messenger_grinning:
Been said and proven many times before that it was Microsoft that killed Sega. You can argue Sega hurt themselves a lot but it was Microsoft who put the final bullet in them in the form of money to get out of console gaming, the same deal also saw the then President of Sega Peter Moore switch to Xbox when they closed it down.

GHound

A site called PureXbox are struggling to see how overall more highly rated games deserved to be nominated over Gears of War 3.

Meme Think GIF
The problem with building your entire brand around someone else's brand is that you have to always bend over backwards to shill brands that you have no control over and may even cease to believe in at some point.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Why demand Phil to up his game when you can step-up the blame game?

Honestly, MS fans fully deserved weak MS output and ocean of PR water from Phil Spencer.

I admit that smaller Xbox games are good here and there (Hi-Fi Rush is def a great AA title), but it’s almost unimaginable at this point that MS could produce something on a scale of GoW: Ragnarok, TLoU 2 or ToTK without stumbling. The only highlight of all those years were Forza Horizon games (we ignore Motorsport because it’s not fitting the narrative), but ever since FH2 it’s basically the same game that changes locations, where FH5 is the most formulaic and predictable of them all.

But yeah, it’s evil Geoff, not MS that couldn’t fix its pipeline after 80 billions of acquisitions and 1.5 generations straight.

These people are thisrty for validation, they want that juicy 90+MC AND the Dorito´s Pope GOTY award, but the fact of the matter is that MS has failed to produce games of such quality and significance....However, it's never Microsoft's fault though; it's always someone else's. And that lack of self awarness, even when Phil is coming out and saying "It´s on us to deliver games at quality"; these people keep shifting the blame.

This is what I don't understand.

The Sony fanbase seems to tear into them for any slip-up pretty good. I can certainly be critical of many decisions I disagree with. They're clearly not perfect, but at the very least the AAA hits keep coming every year even if I would like even more.

I own an Xbox Series X as well, and while I don't regret the purchase overall, I really do think Microsoft could do a far better job serving their fans to make higher quality games. And yet most of the audience will get overly defensive for any sort of criticism. Do you guys not want Microsoft to do better? I mean, seriously? Meanwhile pumping 400 hours into Starfield and claiming it's an act of genius and you just need to play more to understand it. That's cool, you like Starfield....a lot of people don't, though. And Starfield is only one game. Where's everything else?

CuNi

Why demand Phil to up his game when you can step-up the blame game?

Honestly, MS fans fully deserved weak MS output and ocean of PR water from Phil Spencer.

I admit that smaller Xbox games are good here and there (Hi-Fi Rush is def a great AA title), but it’s almost unimaginable at this point that MS could produce something on a scale of GoW: Ragnarok, TLoU 2 or ToTK without stumbling. The only highlight of all those years were Forza Horizon games (we ignore Motorsport because it’s not fitting the narrative), but ever since FH2 it’s basically the same game that changes locations, where FH5 is the most formulaic and predictable of them all.

But yeah, it’s evil Geoff, not MS that couldn’t fix its pipeline after 80 billions of acquisitions and 1.5 generations straight.

I think the bigger issue at Microsoft is that the devs are either stuck in doing the same game over and over again with little to no change in the formula or change the formula so often and drastically that it's a whole different game in everything but name.

Zelda is a good example. It's core never really changes but the gameplay around it, but not so much as to not feel like a zelda anymore. After a drastic change, you usually get one or two games with minor changes and then bigger change again.
When I look to Microsoft, it's either barely any change for multiple games, and once that fails it's core change after core change after core change, like a chicken that lost its head running around.

In my honest opinion, Microsoft would benefit from giving every studio a blank check for a game they'd want to do instead of sequel XYZ. Maybe not all at once but rotate through. But that's just wishful thinking on my part 🤣

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
In my honest opinion, Microsoft would benefit from giving every studio a blank check for a game they'd want to do instead of sequel XYZ.
I have a hot take that A LOT of MS' internal issues are due to the fact that they lack focused managers and producers and just outright burning money. Redfall woud've been axed before the reveal both at Sony and Nin, but it was not only greenlit but released, because this is how Phil understands blank cheques and creative freedom.

Kirye

The article is dumb, but it makes some valid points. There was an image I saw earlier where the only year Sony didn't have a GOTY in the last decade was 2014, and there were some awful fucking choices for the other years.

I'm sorry, I'm sure some people enjoy them but you can't tell me fucking Ratchet deserves a GOTY spot.

The industry has biases.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
The industry has biases.
I'm still waiting for a game from MS internal studio that was or is on par with, say, quite divisive (I love it very much) TLoU pt 2 (or any other Sony nominees tbh) at least production-wise. Halo Reach, time adjusted, is the last example that comes to mind, really. First half of 360 gen was a golden era that is never coming back, it seems.

The article is dumb, but it makes some valid points. There was an image I saw earlier where the only year Sony didn't have a GOTY in the last decade was 2014, and there were some awful fucking choices for the other years.

I'm sorry, I'm sure some people enjoy them but you can't tell me fucking Ratchet deserves a GOTY spot.

The industry has biases.

2021 was a light year….why didn’t it deserve a spot?

Soodanim

Gold Member
There reaction to this is honestly sad.

But what's more sad is that people actually read that shit, somehow it ended up on gaf, like it's just a bunch of basement dwelling losers who are butthurt about their favorite nerd product.

Why are we even entertaining just your average console warrior now.
I completely agree.

What they said was a bit silly, but we've got a 3 page thread about people that might as well be treated as children. A 3 page dogpile does 2 things: it gives a fanboy's blog rant more credibility than it deserves, and it makes GAF look worse.

I have no long detailed gold bait rants about why Xbox is inferior, I just take pity on the author.

I would have traded Skyward Sword for Gears 3 in a heartbeat. The original version of Skyward Sword was one of the most annoying Zelda games I’ve ever played and I feel like only a few reviewers actually pointed out how annoying the game really was after the ‘wow factor’ of the Wiimote controls faded away.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Gears 3. Ori and forza horizon are deffo snubs. But it is what it is.

This should hopefully drive the xbox brand to ensure they deliver and absolute banger that can't be refused, then if and when it is...fingers can be pointed but until then...they need to deliver a full on smash.

MarkMe2525

Been said and proven many times before that it was Microsoft that killed Sega. You can argue Sega hurt themselves a lot but it was Microsoft who put the final bullet in them in the form of money to get out of console gaming, the same deal also saw the then President of Sega Peter Moore switch to Xbox when they closed it down.
This is old Sega fanboy fanfiction. Reading this teleported me back to early 2001, when all the Sega diehards were losing their minds at the news that Moore left Sega and joined Xbox. Thats when this MS killed Sega bullshit began.

It also ignores Peter Moores own account of the decision for Sega to leave the console business.

"We had a tremendous 18 months. Dreamcast was on fire – we really thought that we could do it. But then we had a target from Japan that said we had to make x hundreds of millions of dollars by the holiday season and shift x millions of units of hardware, otherwise we just couldn't sustain the business. So on January 31st, 2001, we said Sega is leaving hardware. We were selling 50,000 units a day, then 60,000, then 100,000, but it was just not going to be enough to get the critical mass to take on the launch of PS2. Somehow I got to make that call, not the Japanese. I had to fire a lot of people; it was not a pleasant day."

Edit: Hey demigod demigod , I'm putting the metaphorical weapons down, let's talk for a sec. Do you really believe this claim that MS was secretly the reason for Sega discontinuation of the Dreamcast and not the absolute juggernaut of a console, the PS2? If you are on the fence, I posted some articles from around the time that go in more depth of the situation.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I mean, there’s more than a shadow of doubt on several nominees even if you take Xbox out of the picture completely, and it’s certainly not the first time.
Let’s not act like bias, politics and publicity aren’t a big part of these shows.
It's not bias.

Xbox released 2 AAA games this year:
  • Forza Motorsport = 85 MC
  • Starfield = 83 MC
  • Redfall = 56 MC
The following games got nominated:
  • Alan Wake 2 = 87 MC
  • Spider-Man 2 = 90 MC
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder = 92 MC
  • Resident Evil 4 = 93 MC
  • Zelda TOTK = 96 MC
  • Baldur's Gate 3 = 96 MC
Other AAA games that missed out:
  • Final Fantasy 16 = 87 MC
  • Star Wars Jedi: Survivor = 85 MC
  • Diablo 4 = MC 86
  • Dead Space = 89 MC
  • Street Fighter 6 = 92 MC
Why should Starfield be nominated when other games with higher scores than it are not being nominated?

You don't see SquareEnix or EA fans crying about the lack of nominations for FF16, Dead Space, or Jedi Survivor, even though those games have a higher score than Starfield and Redfall. They aren't making things controversial or accusing Geoff and TGA of being biased.

This persecution complex seems to be exclusive to Xbox fans.

GinSama

Since when do so many people care about these awards? All we heard when Starfield won the Golden Joystick or whatever is that TGA are bought and paid for PR stunts.

Websites looking for clicks and warriors for other platforms:
Angry Jim Henson GIF by Muppet Wiki

Xbox users not giving a shit:
Happy Joy GIF
I think is pretty obvious...

Let's be honest how many threads you see of people complaining about startfield or Xbox brand the last few months around here?

Also is coming from a Xbox site so no surprise here about their article,

Point is people love to hate and for better or worse people will likely comment, share etc something about startfield and Xbox brand....
And this forum is best exemple.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

This is old Sega fanboy fanfiction. Reading this teleported me back to early 2001, when all the Sega diehards were losing their minds at the news that Moore left Sega and joined Xbox. Thats when this MS killed Sega bullshit began.

It also ignores Peter Moores own account of the decision for Sega to leave the console business.

"We had a tremendous 18 months. Dreamcast was on fire – we really thought that we could do it. But then we had a target from Japan that said we had to make x hundreds of millions of dollars by the holiday season and shift x millions of units of hardware, otherwise we just couldn't sustain the business. So on January 31st, 2001, we said Sega is leaving hardware. We were selling 50,000 units a day, then 60,000, then 100,000, but it was just not going to be enough to get the critical mass to take on the launch of PS2. Somehow I got to make that call, not the Japanese. I had to fire a lot of people; it was not a pleasant day."
That doesn’t debunk what I said, nor the payoff which is well documented.

Top Bottom