• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Vallhalla Announced (Coming December 12, 2023) | The Game Awards 2023

Draugoth

Gold Member

Embark with Kratos to Valhalla on a deeply personal and reflective journey towards a future he never thought possible. Master challenges of mind and body on an unraveling adventure that blends the beloved combat from God of War Ragnarök with brand new elements inspired by the roguelite genre. Developed by Santa Monica Studio for PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®5 consoles – free to download from PlayStation™Store. God of War Ragnarök base game required (sold separately). Available December 12, 2023.​

GAycw99bIAASf5B

GAycchsbcAAhDWw

GAycjqLbMAEfh0w

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Cross game with Asscreed Valhalla?
Free DLC and with Kratos? Whats up with Sony doing this generosity?

Last edited:

[Sigma]

It's cool that it is free but I don't love the gameplay like that so I probably will not even bother playing it.

Last edited:

Traxtech

Guaranteed to have new story, can't fricken wait. I hope it has the OG God of War themes like it had in the trailer

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It will be a pure gameplay experience and people still cry.

Day 1.
Souls games are pure gameplay experiences and so are many others. I generally can't stand roguelikes and find them lazy ways to add replayability.

We also experienced some degree of roguelike with Nifleheim and it was the most tedious and boring part of the 2018 game.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Play a good roguelike and then come back and say that again with a straight face.
I played Hades and Returnal. Aren't they considered pretty good? Hades was fun, but the loop is what? 50 minutes? Then repeat the same shit over and over with like 4 bosses who get a couple of new attacks and weapons that upgrade.

Randomly generated rooms with no level design to speak of. Repeated enemies in every run. Nah, sorry. Shit got boring fast. I stopped at Heat 2 or something. Can't recall.

And you missed it but Niflheim in GOW 2018 is a roguelike level and the worst part of the game.

Barakov

Gold Member
Interested. Will check it out. Had my problems with Ragnarok but my biggest (Atreus) won't be here and it's hard to beat free. Makes me want to reinstall now and do some of the side stuff.

GHG

I played Hades and Returnal. Aren't they considered pretty good? Hades was fun, but the loop is what? 50 minutes? Then repeat the same shit over and over with like 4 bosses who get a couple of new attacks and weapons that upgrade.

Randomly generated rooms with no level design to speak of. Repeated enemies in every run. Nah, sorry. Shit got boring fast. I stopped at Heat 2 or something. Can't recall.

And you missed it but Niflheim in GOW 2018 is a roguelike level and the worst part of the game.

Yep those are two of the best. If it's not for you, it's not for you.

There's plenty of fun to be had in mastering the mechanics and experimenting with different pickup synergies. I'm surprised that you like the Souls gameplay loop but not these, it's similar overall but in most roguelikes the loop is hugely condensed (and the game overall is shorter in terms of the amount of content).

I had my issues with Returnal but Hades was a 10/10 experience for me. For free I'm 100% giving this a go.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Yep those are two of the best. If it's not for you, it's not for you.

There's plenty of fun to be had in mastering the mechanics and experimenting with different pickup synergies. I'm surprised that you like the Souls gameplay loop but not these, it's similar overall but in most roguelikes the loop is hugely condensed (and the game overall is shorter in terms of the amount of content).

I had my issues with Returnal but Hades was a 10/10 experience for me. For free I'm 100% giving this a go.
I actually liked the combat, but to me, the most important thing that's arguably even more important than combat in action games is level design. Roguelike pretty much toss that part in the trash bin with randomly generated levels so I can't play them more than a few times.

Raonak

Banned
I love the idea of free replayable run-based modes for single player games to extend replayability. This, the new TLOU2 mode, and even GOT's legends mode are all fantastic additions.

They aren't gonna make a full fledged story expansion, and especially not for free. GOW has a great combat engine, so creating a survival based mode works well.

Niflheim sucked because of the deadly gas and the one hit death traps. Not because of the replayable nature of the mode.

Gaiff

I love the idea of free replayable run-based modes for single player games to extend replayability. This, the new TLOU2 mode, and even GOT's legends mode are all fantastic additions.

They aren't gonna make a full fledged story expansion, and especially not for free. GOW has a great combat engine, so creating a survival based mode works well.

Niflheim sucked because of the deadly gas and the one hit death traps. Not because of the replayable nature of the mode.
Nifleheim sucked because it was repetitive and stale. The levels were just corridors and empty spaces to the next fights consisting of mobs. It was randomly generated, exactly like roguelikes, and got boring fast. It could have been tolerable had care been put into crafting the level, even with the shitty traps and poisonous mist.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
For REAL.

Kratos & Mimir, no Atreus, pure gameplay?

Lachlan Murdoch Reaction GIF by Murdoch Mysteries

This shit's gonna redeem the whole fucking game for me.
It’s just a rogue like mode it seems. Not enough to redeem the game if they don’t explain what happened to Greece. You see the whole world/sky burning in gow3

Vick

It’s just a rogue like mode it seems. Not enough to redeem the game if they don’t explain what happened to Greece. You see the whole world/sky burning in gow3
What I missed the most from this game was an equivalent of the Ivaldi's Workshop from GoW 2018, an infinite endgame randomized sandbox.

This DLC will do.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Don't own ragnarok but this is cool. Roguelites are just arcade style experiences reborn

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG
Top Bottom