• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War details, in-depth RPG systems, No load screens, plus more

game looks great. on a vanilla ps4 to boot
really like the no fade to black during playtime n controlleable camera i welcome (can you 360 tho?)

cant wait to see some amazing level designs n spectacular norse set pieces

i hope the gods have some nice backstory n you arent just mindlessly going around killing them

crafting n hunting for food im kind of iffy on
can only hope shit be quick and intuitive/non intrusive. i guess

hopefully some of these gameplay designs/decisions dont slow the pace of the game too much. i want krato constantly moving

combat and kratos general movement im legit concerned
in previous games. i can travel fast distance usin roll cancels n run cancels
here. he moves like molasses. n no more platforming?
maybe hes just really old n worned now i guess..

just hope combat is not compromised after all this change. i want satisfying combos n broken heavy attacks. no more aerial attacks?

yea its a lot of ifs n maybes but im sure SMS will turn out an amazing game in the end

All God Of War games had unlocked framerates (except the PS4 Remaster which was 60 FPS). So unlocked framerates for this GOW wasn't out of reach considering other games on PS4 were so: ISS, KZ:SF. Expect the game to maintain constant 60 FPS with Neo.

I noticed after Kratos smashes the troll's horn, the broken part of the latter starts casting shadows on itself. The horn must be a procedural mesh to allow such dynamic amazing detail

I don't see how people are liking this. Everything they say goes against what God of War stands for. I mean I can understand people liking it if they hated kratos then okey because this portayal is the exact opposite of how he was in the previous games. And people really are excited for babysitting his kid the whole game? I really don't see the appeal. Plus Rpg elements yay because we really don't have those in every single game for absolutely no reason. Everything about this screams to me it should had been a new IP.

Ah yes. That's what we needed and people clearly wanted. Another identical God of War.

game looks great. on a vanilla ps4 to boot
really like the no fade to black during playtime n controlleable camera i welcome (can you 360 tho?)

cant wait to see some amazing level designs n spectacular norse set pieces

i hope the gods have some nice backstory n you arent just mindlessly going around killing them

crafting n hunting for food im kind of iffy on
can only hope shit be quick and intuitive/non intrusive. i guess

hopefully some of these gameplay designs/decisions dont slow the pace of the game too much. i want krato constantly moving

combat and kratos general movement im legit concerned
in previous games. i can travel fast distance usin roll cancels n run cancels
here. he moves like molasses. n no more platforming?
maybe hes just really old n worned now i guess..

just hope combat is not compromised after all this change. i want satisfying combos n broken heavy attacks. no more aerial attacks?

yea its a lot of ifs n maybes but im sure SMS will turn out an amazing game in the end
Animations and moveset shouldn't be a problem given the fact that Cory Balrog was the lead animator in God of War 1, he has a good feel for things.

So... any idea of what the runes on the omega in the title means together? We could already have a subtitle for the game without knowing it lol.

I have tried but to na avail.

gowpckja.png

I kinda know what each letter corrisponds to, but i can't make an actual word.

So... any idea of what the runes on the omega in the title means together? We could already have a subtitle for the game without knowing it lol.

I have tried but to na avail.

gowpckja.png

I kinda know what each letter corrisponds to, but i can't make an actual word.

I had a read up on a bit of runic script and it seems that the first thing to do when translating is to determine where the word begins by examining the layout as the writing direction can differ. The logo being a circle makes this even harder, lol.

So the runes are written on top of a red snake and not so much the omega (though the shape might be a homage to earlier designs). This leads me to believe the snake is Jörmungandr - who is said to be so long he can encircle the whole of Midgård to bite his own tail. The runes are often painted red, as well as the snake.

Real life runes of Jörmungandr seem to begin the words by the snakes head or normally from the bottom left continuing clock wise. So this would mean that Mannaz (ᛗ) or the letter next to it would be the starting point of the word. Now, I've not found any rune to match the one left of Mannaz (ᛗ), which leads me to belive they may have modified or added new runes to the language.

Cory Barlog says in an interview that GOW is set before the viking era and their migration. The migration happened ca 300 - 700 A.D. to what I could find. And the oldest rune found IRL is the Kylver Stone from Sweden ca 400. A.D. That would mean that the most probabale runes to fit this time period is the Primitive/Elder Futhark, which was in use until 800 A.D. Below is a picture of this alphabet:

eldrfuthark.gif

Comparing that to the GOW logo is confusing as some runes are missing from the alphabet and others are mirrored. They may very well have altered or added runes to be more functional in forming words or simply pleasing design wise. There's also other variants of these runes in other countries and across time which makes it even harder to decode.

Crafting? Collectables? The game sounds less and less appealing after having seen the gameplay trailer. Talk about going mainstream.
Well, at least there'll be DMC 5 for my character action/hack n'slay fix, right? Right? *cries*.

Crafting? Collectables? The game sounds less and less appealing after having seen the gameplay trailer. Talk about going mainstream.
Well, at least there'll be DMC 5 for my character action/hack n'slay fix, right? Right? *cries*.

Seriously, everything about this sounds awful. Why not just make it a new IP? Everything's different, IS a new IP with an old name stuck on it. I hated the close camera, clunky combat and excessive slow-mo bullshit in the demo. All this stuff they're talking about, all the bullet points in the OP and other threads have zero appeal to me. Sure GoW was super stale and needed a major revamp (or better yet just let it end) but this isn't a retooling, it's turning it into an entirely different genre.

MaxHouse

Banned
Seriously, everything about this sounds awful. Why not just make it a new IP? Everything's different, IS a new IP with an old name stuck on it. I hated the close camera, clunky combat and excessive slow-mo bullshit in the demo. All this stuff they're talking about, all the bullet points in the OP and other threads have zero appeal to me. Sure GoW was super stale and needed a major revamp (or better yet just let it end) but this isn't a retooling, it's turning it into an entirely different genre.

because its still God of War....the combat will probably be better and more brutal....plus its Cory Barlog...

God of War had to evolve, it was clearly one of the weakest of the hack n slash games... this new approach is something that I think will work out

Visceir

Has anyone bothered to go check through the leaked images/things after the reveal trailer?

I don't mind the game systems but having all those things pop up seems kinda counter-productive to having the game be without any camera cuts.

Would gladly like to see them figure out how to make rpg elements and all the 'bars filling' just something that is hidden away in the background, without any message pop-ups, to just get immersed in the story and world.

Would be cool to just naturally see the son getting better at things without a "knowledge gained" message popping up.

Novocaine

I'm really conflicted about this game. I love the other games and was hoping for another character action game of the same vein, they're unique and it's been a while since Ascension.

But this is a totally different thing. Like the only resemblance to the series is the persona of Kratos. I dunno, but it seems like I'm in the minority on this one. It does look good, I'll probably still play it. I just really wanted a new classic style GoW.

I had a read up on a bit of runic script and it seems that the first thing to do when translating is to determine where the word begins by examining the layout as the writing direction can differ. The logo being a circle makes this even harder, lol.

So the runes are written on top of a red snake and not so much the omega (though the shape might be a homage to earlier designs). This leads me to believe the snake is Jörmungandr - who is said to be so long he can encircle the whole of Midgård to bite his own tail. The runes are often painted red, as well as the snake.

Real life runes of Jörmungandr seem to begin the words by the snakes head or normally from the bottom left continuing clock wise. So this would mean that Mannaz (ᛗ) or the letter next to it would be the starting point of the word. Now, I've not found any rune to match the one left of Mannaz (ᛗ), which leads me to belive they may have modified or added new runes to the language.

Cory Barlog says in an interview that GOW is set before the viking era and their migration. The migration happened ca 300 - 700 A.D. to what I could find. And the oldest rune found IRL is the Kylver Stone from Sweden ca 400. A.D. That would mean that the most probabale runes to fit this time period is the Primitive/Elder Futhark, which was in use until 800 A.D. Below is a picture of this alphabet:

eldrfuthark.gif

Comparing that to the GOW logo is confusing as some runes are missing from the alphabet and others are mirrored. They may very well have altered or added runes to be more functional in forming words or simply pleasing design wise. There's also other variants of these runes in other countries and across time which makes it even harder to decode.

Exactly the same reasoning i did. Damn this is hard lol

Maybe we can figure it out by adding the missing letters and try to form a real word. So the letters we know for sure are (starting from Mannaz and continuing clock wise):

M _ G N H _ _ _

Or maybe as i said earlier in this thread we are just looking this from the wrong perspective. Maybe we have to look at the meaning of each symbol which seems to represent a god...

SRTtoZ

It amazes me how thats running between 30-40fps on a regular PS4. That shit looked so damn good visually and they said its going to be very open, which is even more impressive. If NEO can get this thing running even better looking or a locked 60fps I am going to be a happy camper. I would imagine since its a GoW game they will try to prioritize framerate over visual goodies with the NEO, who knows.

Maybe we can figure it out by adding the missing letters and try to form a real word. So the letters we know for sure are (starting from Mannaz and continuing clock wise):

M _ G N H _ _ _

Or maybe as i said earlier in this thread we are just looking this from the wrong perspective. Maybe we have to look at the meaning of each symbol which seems to represent a god...

Runes just don't represent God's, but also each can have meanings relating to rune poems, such as empowering character traits...
http://norse-mythology.org/runes/the-meanings-of-the-runes/

This site in general has a lot of good info.
http://norse-mythology.org

M _ G N H _ _ _

Yeah, it's real hard! The letter N does not seem to match the alphabet though. It's more akin to the letter S (second column) in this image:

Venetic_Raetic_Camunic_Lepontic_alphabets.png

But then again this one says that Mannaz is a Ś. There might be something other to this as you said or maybe they created their own alphabet or something. I'm beginning to have a headache so I'll leave this for now, lol.

bunkitz

Speaking of runes, if anyone's interested, DualShockers just posted an article translating a lot of them, such as the ones of Kratos' son's arm.

There's one that says "strong arm" or "strength of arm." Another that says "lucky arrow" or "luck with the arrow." The last one says "quick hand." Makes one wonder who tattooed these onto his arm if Kratos doesn't know how to speak the language.

They also translated the tweets Sony Santa Monica has been tweeting, which were all in "Elder Futhark," apparently.

Ploid 3.0

Speaking of runes, if anyone's interested, DualShockers just posted an article translating a lot of them, such as the ones of Kratos' son's arm.

There's one that says "strong arm" or "strength of arm." Another that says "lucky arrow" or "luck with the arrow." The last one says "quick hand." Makes one wonder who tattooed these onto his arm if Kratos doesn't know how to speak the language.

They also translated the tweets Sony Santa Monica has been tweeting, which were all in "Elder Futhark," apparently.

Wow, awesome info. I wondered what the tattoos were, well if it's true.

Z3M0G

Holy shit, why did i wait this long to click on this thread?? The concept of leveling up your son through the game is absolutely brilliant and unique. Imust play this!!

This game is a perfect example of damned if you do, damned if you don't. If they had shown a by the numbers GOW, people would have complained. Now they try to give the franchise something different, and people complain because it's not exactly like GOW. I can't wait to see more of the game, since I realize that it's not finished and whatnot.

Perhaps those are perks that your son gets as he levels up, that appear as tattoos on him? Those names sound too much like perk names IMO

Hawk269

Normally I don't agree with Jeff (From Giantbomb), but when he was talking about this new GOW game and how he really did not like all the previous versions of the game, but that this one seemed really interesting, it Exactly how I felt after I watched the presentation during the Sony conference. I never liked the GOW series, it just seemed way too over the top and just did not click with me, when this demo started, I was almost instantly intrigued and when it was over I had a pretty big smile on my face. It definitely looks like it is going to be a great game.

reKon

Banned
The leveling up of the other character was/is probably going to be a new feature for the next last of us. I think that it would be a nature upgrade along with upgraded AI and contextual more attacks/animations.

I'm really conflicted about this game. I love the other games and was hoping for another character action game of the same vein, they're unique and it's been a while since Ascension.

But this is a totally different thing. Like the only resemblance to the series is the persona of Kratos. I dunno, but it seems like I'm in the minority on this one. It does look good, I'll probably still play it. I just really wanted a new classic style GoW.
I am with you, I like what I am seeing, I am happy about the return of Kratos and Norse Mythology, but a Parental Story ?, Again ?. It is really irritating, especially since the kid is tagging all along, so there is no hoping for a solo adventure.
I can live with the new combat system and the new camera, but Crafting ?, in a God of War game !!, Could have made a new IP and be done with it.
Yet the worse of it all, is the portrayal of Kratos.
I don't see how people are liking this. Everything they say goes against what God of War stands for. I mean I can understand people liking it if they hated kratos then okey because this portayal is the exact opposite of how he was in the previous games. And people really are excited for babysitting his kid the whole game? I really don't see the appeal. Plus Rpg elements yay because we really don't have those in every single game for absolutely no reason. Everything about this screams to me it should had been a new IP.
Most people who hated Kratos now love him cause he is a father and it is babysitting time, now as for those who loved Kratos for who he was, his brutality and gore, well they are torn, some love him, others like me hate this new change, makes me wonder who the franchise is targeting now, cause I bought every single game, and yet this one is not speaking to me.

MaxHouse

Banned
I am with you, I like what I am seeing, I am happy about the return of Kratos and Norse Mythology, but a Parental Story ?, Again ?. It is really irritating, especially since the kid is tagging all along, so there is no hoping for a solo adventure.
I can live with the new combat system and the new camera, but Crafting ?, in a God of War game !!, Could have made a new IP and be done with it.

Most people who hated Kratos now love him cause he is a father and it is babysitting time, now as for those who loved Kratos for who he was, his brutality and gore, well they are torn, some love him, others like me hate this new change, makes me wonder who the franchise is targeting now, cause I bought every single game, and yet this one is not speaking to me.

Kratos got like the loudest applause of any single game character in like the history of E3....I don't get this idea that people "hated" him

he's arguably THE mascot of Sony

Two Words

I'm guessing the crafting is more geared towards the kid. Kratos isn't gonna use some shitty crafted sword. That's for the kid to toy with.

Loudninja

I'm guessing the crafting is more geared towards the kid. Kratos isn't gonna use some shitty crafted sword. That's for the kid to toy with.
I think it will be for both really,speaking of that:

GamesBeat: The graphical user interface had a set of three icons we didn’t see in the original trailer. We saw an axe, a bow, and another one that wasn’t clear. What do those represent?

Cory Barlog: Those are the stand-ins we’re using at the moment. They’re filling in the idea of having specials. This game has an element of specials. I’m playing around how that may be connected with the possibility of swapping out different styles. On the axe, you see the lines there. All this is our structure for upgrading and being able to outfit Kratos and customize his fighting style to your own specifications.
http://venturebeat.com/2016/06/18/s...-questions-about-the-amazing-god-of-war-demo/

Customizing you fighting style has me every interested.

Two Words

Yeah nothing like,but crafting armor makes sense.

Even that I doubt mainly because I think SSM has always deeply cared about Kratos' presentation. I really don't think they want you to slap on some rusty armor on Kratos to give him 3+ armor. Kratos is a demigod. It only makes sense for him to wear the best armor. Hermes' boots, Icarus' wings, Jason's golden fleece. These are what Kratos finds worthy to carry into battle. You don't create this iconic of a character and then just cover him in cruddy armor.

275567484627e22e3e046o-1465937191171.png

Crafting armor and weapons doesn't make sense for Kratos but it makes perfect sense for the kid. Especially when he's native to the land and would know what would be useful to create tools and equipment. Leveling up the kid, equipping him with weapons and armor, selecting his perks, etc.

Mifune

Mehmber

According to Barlog, there's no babysitting in this game. Really wish people would stop saying that.

Two Words

Crafting armor and weapons doesn't make sense for Kratos but it makes perfect sense for the kid. Especially when he's native to the land and would know what would be useful to create tools and equipment. Leveling up the kid, equipping him with weapons and armor, selecting his perks, etc.

Plus, it fits well with the kid learning new weapons. He can learn archery, melee weapons, magic, etc. It is new stuff to him and he will gain experience from it and be incentived to create new equipment. But Kratos gets to play with the big toys.

Plus, it fits well with the kid learning new weapons. He can learn archery, melee weapons, magic, etc. It is new stuff to him and he will gain experience from it and be incentived to create new equipment. But Kratos gets to play with the big toys.
It sounds like they're totally grooming the kid to take up the protagonist mantle in future games. Would be interesting if the way you build up his character here carries across to the next games

eXistor

I genuinely don't even like GoW and this game has me interested. Still gonna remain cautiously optimistic, but even the E3 demo had me pretty excited.

Top Bottom