• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia contemplating bringing GTX1060 launch forward, with reduced pricing

Founders edition are standard reference editions with a fancy name. Nothing more, nothing less.
Ah. My 670 has a reference fan. I wish I knew more about PC gaming before I got it. It's pretty loud even when not gaming the fans spin too. :/

could be wrong but i don't see the demand being high enough to warrant the FE treatment. i totally understand why they went that route with the 1070 and 1080 though

well ask yourself if a 970 with more vram is worthy upgrade, and that's pretty much your answer

Never thought about that. Might just get a 1070 on black friday then, unless 1060 is better than 970.
Still, I feel like 8vram might become standard. So that worries me.

wildfire

Banned
Makes no sense to have a founder's edition when they are trying to rush this out to the market to compete with a $200 card.

The founder's edition is the new name for reference. It's very annoying and stupid naming scheme but try to keep up with old news.

Before you add another card to the mix why not get more 1080s and 1070s on the market Nvidia. Can't even buy a dumb founders edition if I wanted to

tuxfool

Banned
Before you add another card to the mix why not get more 1080s and 1070s on the market Nvidia. Can't even buy a dumb founders edition if I wanted to

Because they want to have their cake and eat it. It isn't far fetched speculation that yield issues are constraining supply on their larger dies, but they also don't want to surrender the market to the 480, which definitely isn't having supply issues.

I hope the card can stay as far south of $250 as possible for the 6GB variant. it's been a long while since performance has been pushed up in that area.

hesho

i read somewhere that apparently, there is yield issues for 1080/1070 at TSMC and it suspected that there was a lot of capable "1060" from this...

i read somewhere that apparently, there is yield issues for 1080/1070 at TSMC and it suspected that there was a lot of capable "1060" from this...

The 1060 is GP106, a totally different chip from the 1070/1080 which are GP104. This is like how Vega and Polaris are completely different designs.

I could see Nvidia selling bad GP104's with the bad cores cut out as the 1060 Ti though. There is precedence for this, Nvidia had a lot of bad early Fermi dies they couldn't sell as 470/480, those became the 465.

wachie

UP - http://videocardz.com/61583/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-to-be-released-on-july-7th
According to Benchlife, GeForce GTX 1060 may arrive sooner than previous expected. The rumors were that Pascal GP106-based graphics card would arrive around August. However the latest information suggest that actual launch will take place next week, on July 7th. Card will go on sale a week later on July 14th, so just when custom Radeon RX 480 cards were expected to hit the stores.

Bl@de

They could price it like this.

3GB "Founders Edition" - $299
3GB Non-FE - $229
6GB "Founders Edition" - $349
6GB Non-FE - $279

No it will be

3GB - 299$
6GB - 349$ (the same ore more for good Non-FE editions)

EDIT: I think the acutal prices will be lower (229$ for 3GB and 279$ for 6GB). I just don't believe we will see an actual difference in FE/Non-FE pricing.

dr_rus

Those prices are way too high

edit :unless it matches a gtx 980 (and overclocks just as well), then it's borderline, but still meh
It won't match 980, it'll have to be clocked way too high to achieve that. It will be 970 plus some percents, just like the 480. And it will obviously be priced accordingly.

Better not be a founders edition for the 1080 Ti. I'll choke a bitch.
1080Ti FE is a Titan.

BasicMath

3GB "Founders Edition" - $299
3GB Non-FE - $229
6GB "Founders Edition" - $349
6GB Non-FE - $279
It's more or less what I expect too.

God, I hope AMD just goes in and releases the 490 earlier as well at $320-$350 with near-1070 performance. That would pretty much destroy Nvidia's bullshit pricing.

But knowing AMD, they'll fight it out for a few months. And I can't blame them for it considering that everyone knows that the 1060 is being rushed out and availability will be crap for a while.

I have a 2g gtx 960 card and honestly it does just fine in games. I also play games from arma 3 to the witcher 3.

I'm very interested in the 6g 1060 or the 8g AMD card. I don't have to buy until the winter, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.
I'm on a 950 and in the same boat, will be interesting to see how these cards do by the end of the year.

kswiston

I currently have a R9 280x, but will either be switching to a future -60 or -70 Nvidia card in the future depending on price and my budget a year or so from now. I have had way too many driver issues with AMD.

tkscz

I currently have a R9 280x, but will either be switching to a future -60 or -70 Nvidia card in the future depending on price and my budget a year or so from now. I have had way too many driver issues with AMD.

They got better with it in the 300 series but not by much. Still, nVidia spurned me with the 960. No Ti edition, not much of an upgrade from the 660 Ti. Not much for DX12 support. So I'm a bit paranoid with the 1060, not helped by 3GBs of GDDR5 when more and more games are requiring a minimum for 4.

Thretau

I'm curious what kind of issues you've had? I currently have the same card and I've had zero issues during the two years I've had it.

After yesterday I'm kinda curious to buy GTX 1070 after I sell my R9 280X. Cheapest GTX 1070 I've found from Finland is 500€ though, a bit too much I would like.

wachie

No it will be

3GB - 299$
6GB - 349$ (the same ore more for good Non-FE editions)

EDIT: I think the acutal prices will be lower (229$ for 3GB and 279$ for 6GB). I just don't believe we will see an actual difference in FE/Non-FE pricing.
$349 is too close to the 1070, wont happen.

Duxxy3

Sapphire by chance? I had a lot of issues with mine.

Ending up flashing it to XFX and it's been going strong for a year now.

Kayant

Well now -
NVIDIA rated GTX 1060 at 120W TDP, which is less than Radeon RX 480 (150W). According to leaked slides GTX 1060 will be faster than Radeon RX 480 in terms of performance. It will also be 1.4x more power efficient. However be advised graph values start at 0.8.

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1060-vs-Radeon-RX-480-performance-1-900x467.jpg

http://videocardz.com/61753/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-specifications-leaked-faster-than-rx-480

Bl@de

dr_rus

This slide should tell you what to expect:

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1060-vs-GTX-980.jpg

Likely to be about as "faster" than 480 as 480 is "faster" than 970.

So 980 performance for the same power consumption the 960 had. 6 GB is more than fine, it's the 3 GB version which shouldn't exist in 2016.

WaterAstro

Makes no sense to have a founder's edition when they are trying to rush this out to the market to compete with a $200 card.

It makes perfect sense since they are scam artists. Garbage quality that is worse than partner versions.

They made bank on earlier Founder Editions, so why not?

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Apparently that picture is suppose to be fake?

Regardless i'm looking at the TDP and perf over a 970. If the TDP is 130 or below it's mine.

The 480 has been an utter failure from a power consumption point of view.

Top Bottom