• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Never had Bawls either.

Is there some sort of place that has collected a good deal of Reach media? I've only seen a couple of vids (Lukems, waypoint, and giantbomb) and I've like to see some more good videos.

GhaleonEB

EazyB said:
See, it's this part that I'm unclear on. Does your rank just only by new players getting placed in their arena division or by the user actually player better in in future matches that season.
That's the question I kept asking, and this post from Luke made me think your position could shift based on both continued performance - for better or worse - and population performance changes, since it's a relative measure. So after you qualify for a Season, you can shift by both not playing - and the population around you improving - and by influencing your rank by improving or worsening your total performance.

If I have it right: Every game contributes to the Trueskill calculation, but only the top three games of each day (the Daily Rating) contributes to your Divisional placement. Even after you have qualified for an initial Division.

Mo0

Is it really TrueSkill, though? That ranges from 1 to 50, and last I heard the ratings in Reach were going to be a 4 digit number like ELO.

GhaleonEB

Mo0 said:
Is it really TrueSkill, though? That ranges from 1 to 50, and last I heard the ratings in Reach were going to be a 4 digit number like ELO.
TrueSkill is indeed used, but that is kept 100% hidden from the player. It's purely used to find competitive matches in the background. The player rating algorithm and resulting score is entirely separate (and soon, to be published).

Monocle

FunkyMunkey said:
Okay, that 60 second ad was absolutely horrid. No action, no augmentation pain or development of the character, no months of rehabilitation and near death activities, nothing. He didn't flinch at all and it looked like he was getting his damn blood pressure taken. A minute is still long enough to convey a better/deeper message than that uneventful debacle.

According to that commercial, Carter is a pussy who laid on a table for a few minutes and put on his spartan suit afterwards as if he's ready to be elite.

Whoever was in charge of this ad, shame on you. I wouldn't eat a cake with a picture of that commercial on it even if I was starving. And knowing for a fact that even my imagination could have crapped something better out in 5 minutes flat (which doesn't happen often) is disheartening.

thumbsdown.jpg

shame
Yeah, pretty much. Disappointment total.

Kthreev

professor_t said:
Am I the only one who doesn't want a friends and family code? I'm simply too busy right now to enjoy it.

And, no, this is not some weak-ass effort at reverse psychology.

And, I know you're already wondering this, but I'm not saying it's not reverse psychology to prevent you from realizing that I'm actually using reverse psychology.

The only reason I would want one is so I can start the beta with friends and booze on the weekend :D
Starting on Monday will only leave me lonely and distracted from homework, which is bad news bears for an already struggling college student. :p

And that, my friends, is my sole and pathetic bid for a F&F code.

It sounds pretty much like a spychostats board broken up into divisions, then after a determined period of time a final rating is given out, based on an average score of your performance throughout the season.

At the end of the season I take it that certain stats will be reset to account for player who've quit playing, to rate progress, and for players new the experience to rank properly.

this would imply that your rank, can and likely will slide a bit if you take an extended break from the game, and that it can range from rank to rank via daily or weekly play(though not likely due to population size). I also assume those daily achievements might also play a role.

EazyB

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
That's the question I kept asking, and this post from Luke made me think your position could shift based on both continued performance - for better or worse - and population performance changes, since it's a relative measure. So after you qualify for a Season, you can shift by both not playing - and the population around you improving - and by influencing your rank by improving or worsening your total performance.

If I have it right: Every game contributes to the Trueskill calculation, but only the top three games of each day (the Daily Rating) contributes to your Divisional placement. Even after you have qualified for an initial Division.
That makes the most sense to me, it's just weird they haven't explicitly said so (unless I'm just that dense). Some things about it still seem weird though. Seems like you'd only want to enter the arena on days where you knew you could play a shitton of games so even if you're not all that great your daily ranking will be high because of the 20 games you played you caught a break in 3 of them.

So am I like the only person on the planet that doesn't want to take part in the beta since I am actually more excited for the single player and don't want to ruin it?

If I could make a suggestion to bungie, allow players to set up a handicap on the aim assist. Or the ability to turn it off completely.

It was one of the few things that really made halo 1 feel like a PC fps game. It's also a nice for lan parties, with people who don't play as many fps games.

GhaleonEB

EazyB said:
That makes the most sense to me, it's just weird they haven't explicitly said so (unless I'm just that dense). Some things about it still seem weird though. Seems like you'd only want to enter the arena on days where you knew you could play a shitton of games so even if you're not all that great your daily ranking will be high because of the 20 games you played you caught a break in 3 of them.
I can see the rationale behind it, but that is a downside. You don't want to have someone qualify with just a couple great games, then call it a day and have that carry them. You've got to be good over several games and several days to establish a pattern of high caliber play; a couple fluke games won't get you into Gold. It takes at least nine (in the Beta, at least). And at the same time, a handful of crappy ones won't destroy your rating, so there's not a strong de-motivator to stop playing after getting a good Daily Rating: it can only improve, not get worse. A system that simply took an average of your games would motivate players to stop playing so they didn't drag down their average.

But the net result is, you gotta play in blocks. From the way the beta is set up though, I'm guessing it won't be a high bar. Three games three times a month is not that much. If it were say, ten, then yeah that would be a problem.
LovingSteam said:
So am I like the only person on the planet that doesn't want to take part in the beta since I am actually more excited for the single player and don't want to ruin it?
I find that going up against Covenant and absorbing the story of the Campaign are entirely different experiences from multiplayer. If anything, MP leaves me more tantalized, especially in Reach. Boneyard is simply mammoth, and I really want to know what kind of combat goes down there in the Campaign.

Knowing how the weapons work and what the gameplay feels like is what I'll get from MP. Campaign will still be a fresh experience, with the missions, new weapons, vehicles, enemies and story.

remz

LovingSteam said:
Probably, yeah.

Stahsky

Can someone toss up some slick videos of this game? I've seen the waypoint one and Lukems. Also giantbomb, but that was kinda difficult to watch.

Also that Halo ad was horrid.

feel

LovingSteam said:
I would have preferred to experience the game for the first time as I played through the Reach campaign, but since there's a beta, I'm so playing it. No way I can resist playing any bit of it as soon as possible, being this much into Halo.

Stahsky

Much appreciated. I was kinda active in the old Halo 3 thread, but I never actually played with any of you. I may need to change that this time around.

Quick edit: Though I suppose I'd need to buy a mic for my 360. I never use it when I play online, so I'm not even sure where my old one is.

Is the official one still the better headset to grab? I don't remember it being so great.

EvaPlusMinus said:
Much appreciated. I was kinda active in the old Halo 3 thread, but I never actually played with any of you. I may need to change that this time around.

Quick edit: Though I suppose I'd need to buy a mic for my 360. I never use it when I play online, so I'm not even sure where my old one is.

Is the official one still the better headset to grab? I don't remember it being so great.

Same here. No mic. Never played with any folks in Halo 3. However, when the actual game comes out, I may have to change that (although I will be torn to shreds I am sure).

Stahsky

LovingSteam said:
Same here. No mic. Never played with any folks in Halo 3. However, when the actual game comes out, I may have to change that (although I will be torn to shreds I am sure).

Oh, I'm great at shooters. I played Halo 2 religiously back then. But I moved onto WoW (enjoyed leveling and eventually arenas, got serious for a bit, then lost interest after hitting glad) after Halo 2 lost it's love (360 came out) and I never really got back into the Halo series. I didn't really enjoy Halo 3.

I love FPS games, but I don't really enjoy playing them competitively. Playing with friends has always been the highlight for me. Bad Company 2 being my most loved shooter since Halo 2 right now.

If you guys just sit around and have a blast in customs and shit, I really gotta sink into that. That's the sort of stuff I love in Halo.

Quick edit: Trying to finish up finals and whatnot right now. I need to find myself a mic!

LukeSmith

GhaleonEB said:

Every game counts toward your division.

Brainboy

I was just watching the 1up footage, and I was thinking about all the new medals (Revenge, Close Call, First Strike, Opportunist, ...): I reckon part of the reason why Bungie introduced them might be the commendation system. They said they wanted your commendations to reflect the type of player you are, and these medals seem to play into that (as they reflect how aggressive/tactical/defensive you are).

Monocle

Sir Fragula said:
:lol

Touché, salesman!
That's why he's the man. The ad's still disappointing, though. Compare it with a clip of equal length from any of the older Halo shorts and the difference is plain.

EazyB

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I can see the rationale behind it, but that is a downside. You don't want to have someone qualify with just a couple great games, then call it a day and have that carry them. You've got to be good over several games and several days to establish a pattern of high caliber play; a couple fluke games won't get you into Gold. It takes at least nine (in the Beta, at least). And at the same time, a handful of crappy ones won't destroy your rating, so there's not a strong de-motivator to stop playing after getting a good Daily Rating: it can only improve, not get worse. A system that simply took an average of your games would motivate players to stop playing so they didn't drag down their average.

But the net result is, you gotta play in blocks. From the way the beta is set up though, I'm guessing it won't be a high bar. Three games three times a month is not that much. If it were say, ten, then yeah that would be a problem.
Even though taking the best games hurts the legitimacy of the daily ranking in a way, it motivates people to keep playing which is the most important aspect. Nothing is worse than being afraid to jump into a playlist because you're scared of losing what you've already earned.

Another concern just popped into my head.
I'm a concern making machine.
What if people aren't doing too hot in a game and instead of waiting it out, knowing his score won't be good enough to get in his top 3, and just quits in hope that the next game will be better. They haven't detailed the punishments for quitting yet but since getting a 300 for quitting super early won't hurt your daily ranking it could become a problem.

Edit:
LukeSmith said:
Every game counts toward your division.
Should've refreshed the page. Thanks for continually setting us straight.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Good games tonight Trasher, Ram and Blood. Sorry I couldn't get back in there afterwards, I kind of just got carried away with playing MLG :lol . First game after I left your party was against Legit and Snipedown. We got fucking slaughtered lol. Their random teammates had some really great teamshot and that was the difference. I've been playing like shit for the last couple of days too. Probably won't play Halo 3 until the Beta.

S1kkZ

derFeef said:
I am at work (and my Xbox is in repairs anyway)
ok, thought it was some kind of ip block.

just watched the longer tv spot:

its better but still lacks any impact. the spartan "transformation" is handled a little bit better but it still seems like a walk in the park. still a weak tv spot.

Brainboy

Oh my, that ad suddenly reminded me that Reach also has a campaign... I've been so hyped for the multiplayer, I totally forgot that Bungie are surely going to go all-out with the singleplayer, too! I'm suddenly very excited for the full game now. :lol

Still disappointed.

No tension, no drama. He winced his eyes once at the augmentation and bam a few minutes later he was done.

Was that Mendez we saw? (hopes so)

Oy, once more.

Will post a more thorough thought out post tomorrow, going to bed now.

So when do the various sites start giving out the friends and family codes? Not that I want in early ( actually with it being derby weekend xbox is the last thing on my agenda, friend in from Germany and beer + infield antics take priority) I just want to be able to boot the beta from my hard drive

The advert was meh, both cool and not what I expected for making a spartan after reading the books. It just seemed too clean and it looks like it took one injection to become a super strong human.

It's like the director did not understand what makes a spartan or something.

GodfatherX said:
So when do the various sites start giving out the friends and family codes? Not that I want in early ( actually with it being derby weekend xbox is the last thing on my agenda, friend in from Germany and beer + infield antics take priority) I just want to be able to boot the beta from my hard drive
Competitions mostly end Thursday night and codes are being sent out from the sites on Friday.

Diablohead said:
The advert was meh, both cool and not what I expected for making a spartan after reading the books. It just seemed too clean and it looks like it took one injection to become a super strong human.

It's like the director did not understand what makes a spartan or something.

Every time they show a Spartan its bullshit, In the graphic novel they show a female spartan
with long hair and lipstick on same happens in the Halo anime,
The fall of Reach style Spartans just wasn't presentable enough so now the idea of being a ugly tool of war that had a life of sacrifice forced upon them has been retconned to a bunch of cool dudes and hot chick who love them some kill'n.

Ten-Song

Zeouterlimits said:
Competitions mostly end Thursday night and codes are being sent out from the sites on Friday.

Listening to the new Bombcast, and I believe they said that they can start handing out codes at noon PDT on Thursday, and the codes will be live for redemption at that time.

Yeah the commercial was devoid of anything relating to the Spartan program in "The Fall of Reach."

You're supposed to feel torn up about a Spartan becoming a Spartan, they were taken from their families at a young age and have been trained since then and experimented on using various genetic enhancements.

The commercial never made me feel that, and why would they launch them into space over Reach to use the chemicals? Why not just do it on the damn planet?

Just watched the ODST ad again and it's so much better, not just in the visual department (they had a bigger budget?) but it actually shows the life of an ODST, it matches the game rather well that I have been playing lately.

Raide

I guess the problem with the advert is that they cannot really make it too horrific. Showing how the humans got trained and turned into Spartans could be a little rough. :lol

The advert is ok but nothing special, especially compared to Bungie's previous amazing adverts.

Trasher

Tashi0106 said:
Good games tonight Trasher, Ram and Blood. Sorry I couldn't get back in there afterwards, I kind of just got carried away with playing MLG :lol . First game after I left your party was against Legit and Snipedown. We got fucking slaughtered lol. Their random teammates had some really great teamshot and that was the difference. I've been playing like shit for the last couple of days too. Probably won't play Halo 3 until the Beta.
Haha don't worry about it man. GG's.

You just missed out on Ramirez proving to us all that he still isn't ready for the Reach beta. He needs to do some more training in Team Snipers. I'm pretty sure Blood would agree with me after looking at his recent performance

Top Bottom