• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

wwm0nkey

-Yeti said:
I was gonna invite you to my birthday party, but now I'm not.
I thought we where friends Yeti :(

Ajemsuhgao said:
w05409.jpg
<3
Bawls is great too, I just stop drinking it when I am tired of hearing ball jokes lol

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
LukeSmith said:
Here it is in short:
5 Divisions (Steel, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Onyx).
In order to place in a Division you need earn a Day Rating for N days during the season.
Your Day Rating is the result of your X best games in a given day.
Every game counts.
Individual performance counts.
So does Winning.

Once you've received N Day Ratings, you'll see your Provisional Division.

That Division can change - and very well may - based on the rest of the population and where you fall within it.

At the end of the Season you'll get your Final Divison.

This seems unnecessarily complex.

Will I need to retake college statistics in order to figure out how I'm doing at Halo Reach?

LukeSmith said:
Here it is in short:
5 Divisions (Steel, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Onyx).
In order to place in a Division you need earn a Day Rating for N days during the season.
Your Day Rating is the result of your X best games in a given day.
Every game counts.
Individual performance counts.
So does Winning.

Once you've received N Day Ratings, you'll see your Provisional Division.

That Division can change - and very well may - based on the rest of the population and where you fall within it.

At the end of the Season you'll get your Final Divison.
ur maths are 2 advanced for halogaf

tl;dr

big ander said:
I'm an AMP man myself.

I saw it discussed a bit back, but I'll say it anyway: I hope we get Reach Dew. Game Fuel was so good.
Fueled a school-related all-nighter with Game Fuel one night and could feel it ripping my insides out. It knows when you're not donging, and it makes its feelings on the matter painfully clear.

All in all, a solid product... Would drink again :lol

Trasher

Grady Durden said:
Sorry if already discussed but i just watched that vid and noticed that whenever you turn on the active camo armor ability you lose a lot of the sound. Am i correct in that observation? That will suck for the A30s I just ordered for the beta!
You would be correct, sir. It also jams everyone's radar who is nearby as well if you didn't notice.

GhaleonEB

Danthrax said:
This seems unnecessarily complex.
It's not that complex, it's just hard to really explain well. It's also important to distinguish the layers to the rating systems. At high level, for the Beta:

• Play 3 Arena games in one day to get a Daily Rating.
  • Get 3 Daily Ratings to qualify for a Division.
  • Play more games to improve - or worsen! - your Division standing.
  • At the end of the Beta, you'll see how you fared overall, such as, Top 10%, Gold Division.

That's it. There's some complexity in how the ratings are calculated, but actually tracking your performance is pretty straight forward.

big ander

Syracuse022 said:
Fueled a school-related all-nighter with Game Fuel one night and could feel it ripping my insides out. It knows when you're not donging, and it makes its feelings on the matter painfully clear.

All in all, a solid product... Would drink again :lol
:lol Nice. Yeah, it helped me pull a couple all-nighters over that summer before Halo 3. Good times.

CrazedArabMan said:
Red Bull, seriously, I had one can of that stuff a while back and won't ever drink it again.
Agreed on normal Red Bull, but Red Bull Cola is actually pretty delicious.

Grady Durden said:
Sorry if already discussed but i just watched that vid and noticed that whenever you turn on the active camo armor ability you lose a lot of the sound. Am i correct in that observation? That will suck for the A30s I just ordered for the beta!
I think it's a really cool effect. Makes you feel like you're really a ghost. But I guess we'll see come beta time.

Trasher said:
You would be correct, sir. It also jams everyone's radar who is nearby as well if you didn't notice.

I knew of the radar jam for all near but the loss of sound is pretty cool.

Also, has Bungie confirmed that these will be the only five armor abilities in the game?

GhaleonEB

neoism said:
Formula.. when???
It's going to be published before the Beta goes live. The Beta goes live Thursday morning. I'm guessing we'll see it tomorrow.
Grady Durden said:

Also, has Bungie confirmed that these will be the only five armor abilities in the game?
Five in the Beta, more in the game.

Schmitty

Grady Durden said:

There will be more in the final release.

ultron87

Grady Durden said:

Also on that video, it seems that your skulls get cashed in whenever the turn in location moves. This makes a Skullmanjaro much more difficult from what I can tell. Though I guess it should be hard since it is an instant win.

GhaleonEB said:
Perfect, thanks.

Dan's trying to shed a few pounds, so good for him. I switched to diet a few years ago and dropped 10 pounds in a month.
I switched to coffee because of the sugar content in general. My doctor said that sugar substitutes make the brain crave sugar from other sources. Just a bit o'creamer makes it taste oh so good.

A Penguin

ergo said:
Besides IGN, is there any other websites giving away codes?
I would like to know this as well. Last year, I entered a whole bunch of sweepstakes giving away the Mythic Map Pack 1 and actually won one. Hopefully, my Halo giveaway luck holds with me for this.

GhaleonEB

ergo said:
Besides IGN, is there any other websites giving away codes?
Tons.

Read the past few days news at HBO. Blocks of 20 codes went out to sites like Giant Bomb, IGN, Ars Technica and a host of others. Sites can decide how to give them out, so it seems like media sites are holding contests to drive traffic.

http://halo.bungie.org/

subrock

not getting the twitter BS either. "be our fans on twitter so.... we can have lots of fans... so ... we ....just be our fan."

FrankT

subrock said:
not getting the twitter BS either. "be our fans on twitter so.... we can have lots of fans... so ... we ....just be our fan."

Yea, it's like I'll follow you for a few days but meh. Too much spam. Hook us up Bungie. :D

Am I the only one who doesn't want a friends and family code? I'm simply too busy right now to enjoy it.

And, no, this is not some weak-ass effort at reverse psychology.

And, I know you're already wondering this, but I'm not saying it's not reverse psychology to prevent you from realizing that I'm actually using reverse psychology.

Mo0

professor_t said:
Am I the only one who doesn't want a friends and family code? I'm simply too busy right now to enjoy it.

And, no, this is not some weak-ass effort at reverse psychology.

And, I know you're already wondering this, but I'm not saying it's not reverse psychology to prevent you from realizing that I'm actually using reverse psychology.

No, it's just a post designed to make us feel bad that we have free time while you're out being a productive member of society

I'm not projecting, YOU'RE PROJECTING

EazyB

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
It's not that complex, it's just hard to really explain well. It's also important to distinguish the layers to the rating systems. At high level, for the Beta:

• Play 3 Arena games in one day to get a Daily Rating.
  • Get 3 Daily Ratings to qualify for a Division.
  • Play more games to improve - or worsen! - your Division standing.
  • At the end of the Beta, you'll see how you fared overall, such as, Top 10%, Gold Division.

That's it. There's some complexity in how the ratings are calculated, but actually tracking your performance is pretty straight forward.
See, it's this part that I'm unclear on. Does your rank just only by new players getting placed in their arena division or by the user actually player better in in future matches that season.

Mo0

Think of them like chess ratings (they even sound like they're using a similar numbering system to chess ratings). Your score goes up or down based solely on your performance, not on a metric that takes into account other people like in Halo 3.

Top 10%, therefore, has to do with how high everyone gets. The way rating systems like ELO work is that as you get higher, it gets progressively harder (but not impossible) to gain points and easier to lose them if you do badly.

So I'm guessing here, basically, but if you play more games you raise your rating, and that's that. Whether or not you hit 10% is entirely based on the overall scoreboard at the end.

Edit: Oops, you were talking about the division stuff. Well, I'll leave the above in case anyone's confused about that, but I'm as in the dark as you about the divisions.

Top Bottom