• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Roche178 said:
Anyone else get the feeling Bungie kinda skipped over Halo communities with F&F codes? Personally I think the Halo community would have a better idea of where the codes should go to than the gaming media.

I don't know, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think F&F stand for friends and family. I don't see how the halo community is a friends and family affair.

Also, I think pretty much anyone who plans to hop into the reach beta come may 3rd is part of the halo community in some shape or form.

Also the new live action is awesome, they should really just make a band of brothers-esque tv show based in the halo series. They can follow a platoon of odst's and sprinkle in some spartan kick assery here and there.

Any chance we could get a soundbite of the audio playing the commercial? And some concept art, I love concept art.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Nutter said:
So once in a Gold, you cant fall down to Silver or Go up to Onyx right?

You actually can, but it won't be typical. To overly simplify, because I am a dummy, imagine that you are one of the first four players to get placed into a Division and of those four players, you're the best around. Onyx! Nothing's gonna ever keep you down! Then several hundred thousand more players get placed and they're all better than you. You'll get bumped down.

Ten-Song

Jetku said:
pretty awesome television commercial (during V)

but do we really need commercials for a beta..?

Considering ODST is required to play the beta and good word of mouth on said beta can drive up sales for ODST, yeah sure, why not?

Py7uw.png

GhaleonEB

urk said:
You actually can, but it won't be typical. To overly simplify, because I am a dummy, imagine that you are one of the first four players to get placed into a Division and of those four players, you're the best around. Onyx! Nothing's gonna ever keep you down! Then several hundred thousand more players get placed and they're all better than you. You'll get bumped down.
The Arena question I'm confused on is whether you can move your standing up through better performances after your initial qualifying days. I thought one of the early articles - or perhaps a mention on the podcast - said your Divisional standing was based on an average of your best days that season (say, three best days). So if your first three - which qualify you for a Division - suck, you can still improve by kicking ass in the next three qualifying days.

They way you described it, the only way you budge after qualifying is through shifts in the population. Halp?

Edit: is that French? Tell me it's French.

Kibbles said:
Who, what, where, when, HOW!?
Sorry should have given a shred of info with the picture.

Not to sure where/how to be honest... Someone on msn just sent me this picture while I was out. I came home to see the picture, but he is offline now.

I'll let you know what I find out if he does sign back in though.

GhaleonEB

Of course, he won't be able to play it until Bungie and/or Microsoft throws the switch. And if he's got it illegitimately, it won't exactly be a secret.

Iknos

Knowing that I will sound like a complainer...

Shame that this is not out during this weekend.

I understand if that could mean too many players at once since it's a peak time. Starting with lower numbers with a midweek release makes sense.

Just being greedy is all.

Not sure if anyone answered this in my MUCH MUCH ealier post.

But can anyone clear up whether the BETA will support system link?

I remember urk saying it did (or was that a dream?) but IGN have said it doesn't.

Schmitty

Definity said:
Thank God. I've whored myself out on twitter enough for one day in trivia contests.
I stayed away from whoring myself out and just did the easy email ones the GB one.

2 Minutes Turkish said:

I remember urk saying it did (or was that a dream?) but IGN have said it doesn't.
Almost 100% sure it doesn't support it.

wwm0nkey

Devin Olsen said:
Sorry should have given a shred of info with the picture.

Not to sure where/how to be honest... Someone on msn just sent me this picture while I was out. I came home to see the picture, but he is offline now.

I'll let you know what I find out if he does sign back in though.
Hate to say this, but torrent sites will be flooding with a DL for it any time now.

2 Minutes Turkish said:

Why would it? They can't get data on System Link games, IIRC.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
RoboPlato said:
What is is with France and Halo leaks?

More likely someone was given a code a bit early and will now sit in a lobby all lonesome like.

Edit:

d0c_zaius said:
I got early access as well.

Unfortunately after 4 mins of trying to find other players I gave up.

If anyone else gets access and we can set up enough to play a game, hit me up with a PM!

And scene.

bobs99 ... said:
In my honest opinion, the BR from Halo 3 opened up a whole world of play that I dont think was possible with the AR. When playing good people rattling off headshots isnt a skill its a necessity, the real skill comes from playing well as a team, mounevering well and out thinking your opponent.

With the AR your forced into close quarters and outside of juking your opponent and stuff theres a lot less to it. Team AR'ing isnt exactly something ive seen much either. Its not so much the fact that the BR is a precision weapon which I feel makes it add more to the game, but the fact that it opens up the game more. Your just really limited with what you can do with a AR is all. I dont wanna get into the whole weapon versatility thing.

Honestly, im not just trying to be a prick, I really do think that precision weapons made Halo a lot more fun, for me at least.

I love precision weapons. The Halo 3 BR is my favorite weapon from any Halo, and Im hoping the DMR holds up to it. I just dont think that precision weapons are the only weapons that require skill or have a place in the sandbox.

I think all the arguments you make for the BR can be applied to the AR as well, albeit differently. Like any weapon, there are different levels to its use. You can run straight at opponents with the trigger down and hope for the melee kill if you want but its not the best way to use the AR. Out-thinking and out-maneuvering opponents is still necessary, especially since you have to survive long enough to get within closer range.

Juking your opponent is one element of the AR, but IMO the AR is the weapon that makes best use of the shoot/grenade/melee trifecta. Yes, you can use grenades and melees to bolster the BR, but they're not necessary. The shallow clip and limited range of the AR FORCE you to mix up shooting with the grenades and melee. That's why its a great spawn weapon - it will protect you if you know how to get the most out of it, but its not as powerful or versatile as the other weapons around the map, the weapons that dont NEED grenade or melee support under their ideal conditions.

And AR can factor very much into teamplay. At close range, the AR shreds shields faster than the BR at mid-range, so if you have teammates going to war with the BR, you can flank around and use the AR to weaken enemies for fast kill-shots. It's particularly useful if you run into that irritating degree of lag where it feels like that last BR shot never hits in time. Switch to the AR, help out your teammates, you'll still finish well positive, but your assists will double your killcount.

I'm not against DMR starts. I'll be more than comfortable with both. I just dont want fans or Bungie relegating the AR to second-class status before the beta is even launched.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
d0c_zaius said:
I got early access as well.

Unfortunately after 4 mins of trying to find other players I gave up.

If anyone else gets access and we can set up enough to play a game, hit me up with a PM!

Using magic can be bad for your skin. Have you seen wizards? Wrinkly and white haired with wheezing voices - and those are just the young teen wizards.

urk said:
More likely someone was given a code a bit early and will now sit in a lobby all lonesome like.

Edit:

And scene.
Hey urk, are you guys still planning on doing an F&F code for the winner of the podcast entries? If so, I really hope you guys like mine:lol

Shishka said:
What if... The phone rang?
what_if.jpg

I be stealin Urks memes

What if Patrick Roy had played like a rookie?
What if Stevie Yzerman hadnt inspired hockey town?
What if Gretzy hadnt been so great?
What if Mario hadnt been so super?

History will be made.

Stanley Cup Playoffs.

*Fade to Black*

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
GhaleonEB said:
So if your first three - which qualify you for a Division - suck, you can still improve by kicking ass in the next three qualifying days.

That's your Daily Rating. As long as you're still in a single day's window, you can improve upon your Daily Rating. Since it's using your best games, you can only go up.

GhaleonEB

urk said:
That's your Daily Rating. As long as you're still in a single day's window, you can improve upon your Daily Rating. Since it's using your best games, you can only go up.
This response confused the hell out of me. I thought I understood how the ratings worked, but nope. :lol

My question was, can you improve your Divisional standing by having better and better Daily Ratings over the course of the Season, after qualifying for a Division. Both you and Luke have given answers that you can move down Divisions via population shifts - I'm awesome, but 10,000 awesomer people come in. My question is, after being placed in a division, can I move up from there during the season by getting higher daily ratings?

Or, are you only placed in a Division after the season is over? So you don't see your standing relative to the Arena pool during the Season?

Top Bottom