• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Shishka said:
Arena max party size is 4, not 8. Other than that, I think you've got it right. It's also worth noting that you can only rematch with your team in Arena.

Ah, thanks for the clarification and I like the aspect of challenging teams to a rematch. Will make things pretty interesting.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Just viewed the gametrailers videos of the new weapons & have a quick question.
Is the Battle Rifle permanently replaced with the new weapon, the DMR or whatever it's called?

I absolutely hated the rifle in Halo 2 because of the small burst it shoots. The rifle in Halo 3 seemed like an improvement with a longer & steadier burst of fire.
The new weapon in Reach seems to be a single shot semi-automatic type weapon. It would be a downgrade from the BXR for me.

Will the new rifle have a toggle between semi & full automatic or will the Battle rifle & other Halo 3 weapons still be included?

Shishka

Works for Bungie
Not a Jellyfish said:
Ah, thanks for the clarification and I like the aspect of challenging teams to a rematch. Will make things pretty interesting.

Sorry, I was unclear. Say you go into Arena by yourself. You end up with another single, and then a pair. The four of you melt some faces. After that match, you're like "let's play again!" So long as you don't back out, the four of you will stick together as a team, and Matchmaking will shuffle new teams in.

Nutter

urk said:
Slayer is AR only. Slayer Pro is AR primary, Laser secondary.
2ithq41.jpg

I am personally going to vote for Slayer Ultimate :p

GLYPH

Neo Member
The last version had an issue with the audio synch, so I wanted to give everyone a heads-up that we've reposted a full uncut Team Headhunter match. The game takes place on Sword Base and features a pretty good look at the map, along with some nice action...

Team Headhunter on Sword Base

feel

Shishka said:
Guests are allowed in all the "Standard" category playlists. That is to say, everything but Arena.
Shishka said:
Maximum party size in Invasion is six. Maximum party size in the 4v4 standard hoppers, however, is 8. There are reasons for this that are test related, and this does not necessarily reflect on what the shipping playlist will be like.
Sweet stuff

Salami Inferno said:
  1. Halo CE
  2. ODST
  3. Halo 3
  4. Anything Else
  5. Halo 2
I like you.

Kapura said:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f342/kapuraIII/Funny%20Pictures/haters-gonna-hate.gif[IMG]

Letters, we need a version with Shishka's head, STAT![/QUOTE]
Do we really?

[spoiler]Yes we do[/spoiler]

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/x5wcgi.jpg

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Major Williams said:
Thanks for the clarification. The armor was a bit jolting to me. Can you explain the 'voluntary' augmentation process (part of 'revenge' for parents, becoming a spartan, etc)? Also, how come no physical discomfort was involved? I would have expected more... drama out of the process of augmentation (animal instincts coming out and so forth).
As Frank said, you're looking at a condensed shorthand of the process. The Fall of Reach and Ghosts of Onyx capture the augmentation processes, and they describe them in pretty good detail for the folks that care about that kind of stuff. But we couldn't have hoped to have fit all that in this short and sweet commercial.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Cocopjojo said:
As Frank said, you're looking at a condensed shorthand of the process. The Fall of Reach and Ghosts of Onyx capture the augmentation processes, and they describe them in pretty good detail for the folks that care about that kind of stuff. But we couldn't have hoped to have fit all that in this short and sweet commercial.

TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED TO CARTER'S PARENTS, YOU MONSTER

kylej said:
My problem with AR starts being in the Arena is that it's a nonsensical decision. You have two entirely disparate types of Halo being offered in a tiny slice of the matchmaking experience. Why? Why would you create this supposedly ultra-competitive area and allow AR starts to be a possibility? It's bizarre.

So headshot capability is the definition of competition in the Halo-verse/ That's a pretty sad, simplistic view of skill. What about the skill necessary to take out a player with a weapon advantage, by maneuvering the battle to negate the disadvantage? That takes a hell of a lot more skill than rattling off headshots.

I don't care about AR starts one way or the other. I can succeed with either. The only exception is on very large, relatively open maps. So I'd be fine with AR starts in the arena for smaller maps. I don't mind the challenge of taking on DMR-touting players with an AR after respawn.

That avatar is perfect, awesome use of the pics. :lol :lol :lol

So headshot capability is the definition of competition in the Halo-verse/ That's a pretty sad, simplistic view of skill. What about the skill necessary to take out a player with a weapon advantage, by maneuvering the battle to negate the disadvantage? That takes a hell of a lot more skill than rattling off headshots.

In my honest opinion, the BR from Halo 3 opened up a whole world of play that I dont think was possible with the AR. When playing good people rattling off headshots isnt a skill its a necessity, the real skill comes from playing well as a team, mounevering well and out thinking your opponent.

With the AR your forced into close quarters and outside of juking your opponent and stuff theres a lot less to it. Team AR'ing isnt exactly something ive seen much either. Its not so much the fact that the BR is a precision weapon which I feel makes it add more to the game, but the fact that it opens up the game more. Your just really limited with what you can do with a AR is all. I dont wanna get into the whole weapon versatility thing.

Honestly, im not just trying to be a prick, I really do think that precision weapons made Halo a lot more fun, for me at least.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hydranockz said:
In all fairness, he was the only one of ye talking for the most part :p

Well you can't hear me in the stream because I don't have an audio mixer *shakes fist* but I call out a lot. We played a lot of 3v3 games which proved to be really awkward for us.

Also, that Shishka haters gonna hate is fucking amazing.

EazyB

Banned
I'm still confused about Arena. Maybe this will be cleared up when Urk releases the formula but I figured I'd ask unless anyone knows since the Beta guide is out and doesn't cover it yet.

So after you've played enough on 3 separate days to get a division ranking, is there any way to improve jump/fall to another division by playing more or even just influence what your position in that division is by playing more. If not, what are the incentives to continue playing in the arena after being placed?

Your trueskill ranking influences who you'll play in the social playlists, but does is it taken into account for matching up arena folk? IIRC the arena rating is on an absolute scale so does doing well against players with a high trueskill from social and previous arena seasons net a higher SAT-like score or would crushing a bunch of AR users net a better score?

Also interested in seeing how cR is doled out at the end of the games. To my knowledge they haven't said much about that. Does completing objectives in objective gametypes or getting more kills/assists in slayer net bonus for the individual player or does everyone on a team get the same cR?

urk said:
Slayer is AR only. Slayer Pro is AR primary, Laser secondary.
There are only two jokes in this world that are off limits:
  • Girlfriend being late
  • The laser's role in Halo

Kibbles

Letters said:
Whoa! Nice that you guys liked it. :lol

btw don't look for that smug look on the vidoc, that pic is shopped
I was wondering how the hell you found such perfect pictures to use. Very nice.

Tashi0106 said:
Well you can't hear me in the stream because I don't have an audio mixer *shakes fist* but I call out a lot. We played a lot of 3v3 games which proved to be really awkward for us.

Also, that Shishka haters gonna hate is fucking amazing.

I dislike, and indeed suck at, 3v3's :lol

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
EazyB said:
I'm still confused about Arena. Maybe this will be cleared up when Urk releases the formula but I figured I'd ask unless anyone knows since the Beta guide is out and doesn't cover it yet.

So after you've played enough on 3 separate days to get a division ranking, is there any way to improve jump/fall to another division by playing more or even just influence what your position in that division is by playing more. If not, what are the incentives to continue playing in the arena after being placed?

At the end of each season, you'll be shown where you placed in the Division. What's better than being Onyx? Being in the top 1% of Onyx.

Nutter

urk said:
At the end of each season, you'll be shown where you placed in the Division. What's better than being Onyx? Being in the top 1% of Onyx.
So once in a Gold, you cant fall down to Silver or Go up to Onyx right?

Cocopjojo said:
Yeah, I figured. Even so, would have been nice to see some more play on trypanophobia, gross purple veins sticking out, and screaming during augmentation, something that can be done with the right director and the same exact set with a bit more makeup.

Thanks for clearing that up though that I don't have to look forward to that.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Major Williams said:
Yeah, I figured. Even so, would have been nice to see some more play on trypanophobia, gross purple veins sticking out, and screaming during augmentation, something that can be done with the right director and the same exact set with a bit more makeup.

Thanks for clearing that up though that I don't have to look forward to that.

I actually just finally started reading Halo Evolutions and the first story deals with this. Really well written too. I'm really diggin this book so far.

Roche

Anyone else get the feeling Bungie kinda skipped over Halo communities with F&F codes? Personally I think the Halo community would have a better idea of where the codes should go to than the gaming media.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Roche178 said:
Anyone else get the feeling Bungie kinda skipped over Halo communities with F&F codes? Personally I think the Halo community would have a better idea of where the codes should go to than the gaming media.

We haven't given any of our codes out yet. Big, sticky community love coming soon.

EazyB

Banned
urk said:
Yeah, I got that much. So it plays out like this:
Play some matches against people that aren't in a division for that season until you get into a division. Once you're in that division all your arena games for that season will be against players in that division and based on how well you do you'll be placed in the appropriate percentile. Really interested in seeing what kind of matches are set up to determine that initial division placement (if trueskill is used and accounted for).

That makes a lot more sense. Being unfamiliar with how such a system works in SC2 and WoW made it a little confusing. I forsee a lot of people intentionally going steel but eventually they'd work their way up to the top 1% of steel which would be onyx level players getting matched up against each other.

Kapura

Banned
Roche178 said:
Eh, nope. Friends and family implies cozy and small, not every site with Halo in the url gets codes.

Top Bottom