• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cool visual effects in 16bit console games.

The overworld from Treasure Hunter G.
tumblr_inline_o2nmkwgKGa1ri065t_500.gif
This is one of the nicest implementation of a world map I've seen. Is the game itself any good?

So the base system for Toy Story was the Genesis/Mega Drive then?

I would say so. Both versions of the game were also developed by Travellers Tales and Psygnosis, two UK developers that were some of the most technically competent developers on the Genesis/ Mega Drive.

Doom stage uses a software renderer, so it is naturally faster on Megadrive. It should be limited to 16 colors since it is mostly done in a single BG plane (except for the outer window not present at SNES version). Apparently, they are faking lighting effects by performing pallete swaps in a tile per tile basis.

Those guys were geniuses.

It is doable with just a few color changes. Also, bear in mind this is not the usual HW renderer, but a software framebuffer. H/L would have its own limitations.

Krejlooc

Banned
It is doable with just a few color changes. Also, bear in mind this is not the usual HW renderer, but a software framebuffer. H/L would have its own limitations.

No, it shouldn't be doable even with just a few color changes. You're talking on a per tile basis, it takes several h-blanks just to change all 16 colors on a single plane. You absolutely cannot change palettes per-tile, that's flat-out not how the VDP operates, software renderer or not. You're still going to have to adhere to the limitations of Sega Genesis DMA. Doing per-tile palette changes on a static image would be an enormous feat, you're seriously trying to argue they did it while still having enough cycles left over to render a raycasted engine? Come on, be realistic.

Shadow and highlight mode is a free operation* that is handled per-tile and, most importantly, looks exactly like the effect going on in Toy Story.

EDIT: Also adding to the evidence is that Toy Story uses Shadow and Highlight mode liberally elsewhere in the game.

*relatively speaking, it's performed by bitshifting a palette entry when it's drawn to the screen.

EDIT: Also adding to the evidence is that Toy Story uses Shadow and Highlight mode liberally elsewhere in the game.

Yeah, the still image cutscenes used shadow and highlight to produce fairly large amounts of colours on screen at once...

Genesis game, 165 colours:
cIuaJwA.png

106 colours:
xjjAZRL.png

SNES comparison, 83 colours:
Kp4CATC.png

The SNES game does have a nicer palette even though the Genesis game has more colours. Though the Genesis images are also higher resolution.

Yeah, the still image cutscenes used shadow and highlight to produce fairly large amounts of colours on screen at once...

Genesis game, 165 colours:
cIuaJwA.png

106 colours:
xjjAZRL.png

SNES comparison, 83 colours:
Kp4CATC.png

The SNES game does have a nicer palette even though the Genesis game has more colours. Though the Genesis images are also higher resolution.

The SNES version appears to be fringing blue with its text. Am I seeing things?

Also would be nice to see a gameplay comparison.

Keep them coming, boys! <3

Speaking of the cool effects, I'm pondering about these two things:

1. You know how the wavy effects that you tend to see in 16-bit console games... Is it possible to replicate it in a Unity 5.3 2D game? I think that effect would basically make it feel more "right".

2. Was there something preventing this effect from taking effect on the sprites?

All this talk is seriously making me consider doing SNES/Genesis/Game Boy Advance homebrew if only to see how I can do it "myself" :p

Krejlooc

Banned
Speaking of the cool effects, I'm pondering about these two things:

1. You know how the wavy effects that you tend to see in 16-bit console games... Is it possible to replicate it in a Unity 5.3 2D game? I think that effect would basically make it feel more "right".

Doing such an effect wouldn't be difficult using a pixel shader to change the resultant position of the drawing pixel.

I explained the math and concept behind the effect several pages ago.

2. Was there something preventing this effect from taking effect on the sprites?

Nope, there are games that use the effect on all the layers of the screen.

Doing such an effect wouldn't be difficult using a pixel shader to change the resultant position of the drawing pixel.

I explained the math and concept behind the effect several pages ago.

Nope, there are games that use the effect on all the layers of the screen.

Ah good. Got an example up? Would be cool to see it.

I personally liked the colors in the Genesis version more.

To me, the Genesis image does look better because of the systems higher native resolution. The Genesis/ Mega Drive displays at 320x224 while the SNES displays at 256x224. So in order to make the SNES image look correct on a TV, it has to be squashed horizontally like so...

SNES top, Genesis bottom image...
oyO4udC.png

And then it gets stretched out to a 4:3 output like this (Snes still top image, Genesis/ MD bottom):
JsNfChC.png

The Genesis game looks cleaner, because the upscale is nearly 1:1 aspect ratio. Meanwhile the SNES image gets stretched horizontally to fill in a 4:3 aspect ratio. So it loses a lot of detail in horizontal resolution.

The SNES version appears to be fringing blue with its text. Am I seeing things?

Yeah it is.

Shadow and highlight mode is a free operation* that is handled per-tile and, most importantly, looks exactly like the effect going on in Toy Story.

Is shadow/highlight per tile?

You can use sprites to mask it for fine detail. But you will hit scan limit quickly. It also would apply to backgrounds where there are gaps, so that's why it isn't widely used during gameplay beyond blocks or columns. It is whatever but free operation.

Toy Story still pics do a good use of this, but they are static images.

petran79

Banned
Wait wut, Shinobi 3 had an arcade version?

The Sega Mega Play board.
Identical to the console version, except that you got to play the game with an arcade joystick on a clean looking CRT arcade monitor.

Previously the same cab had Sonic 2.

I wholeheartedly approve of this thread.

The T. rex chase level in The Lost World for the Genesis.

https://youtu.be/VPzKP8zubs0?t=6815

What the fuck? My mind keeps telling me this shouldn't be possible even with a Mega CD, let alone a baseline Genesis. o_O

To me, the Genesis image does look better because of the systems higher native resolution. The Genesis/ Mega Drive displays at 320x224 while the SNES displays at 256x224. So in order to make the SNES image look correct on a TV, it has to be squashed horizontally like so...

SNES top, Genesis bottom image...
oyO4udC.png

And then it gets stretched out to a 4:3 output like this (Snes still top image, Genesis/ MD bottom):
JsNfChC.png

The Genesis game looks cleaner, because the upscale is nearly 1:1 aspect ratio. Meanwhile the SNES image gets stretched horizontally to fill in a 4:3 aspect ratio. So it loses a lot of detail in horizontal resolution.

This is far more due to the fact that for whatever reason they botched the color mapping / reduction on the SNES version. Just look at Woody's face, SNES' one is nothing but clashing yellow, orange and brown. :S

pottuvoi

Banned
I never really understood how the SNES handled the cut-scenes in Out of this World/Another World (and Flashback for that matter). I know AW uses a virtual machine, but I don't know how that worked on the SNES exactly. If you load it up in an emulator everything is displayed on a single layer. I don't believe Flashback uses a VM, but I'm not sure.

In any case, OOTW was probably the most mindblowing experience I had back on those days.

Developer had a great postmortem talk at GDC.
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014630/Classic-Game-Postmortem-OUT-OF

lazygecko

This is far more due to the fact that for whatever reason they botched the color mapping / reduction on the SNES version. Just look at Woody's face, SNES' one is nothing but clashing yellow, orange and brown. :S

There's probably only so much you can do when converting a singular image. If they had split up each character and element into their own layers and optimized the color reductions for them separately, it could probably have come out looking significantly better. But that would have meant much more manual work.

nkarafo

I have to say that Toy Story is probably the best looking 16bit game with pre-rendered sprites, beating DKC games easily. Just look at all these animations for the main character:

They did avoid using dithering in the SNES images, while dithering was used in the Genesis version. That alone also changes the output of the colour, especially with the different in between colours used. But yeah, it is a bit botched.

Jobbs

Banned
Imo the DKC games were hideous eye sores and we're doing nothing new technologically. Using hideous art in your 2d sprites isn't a breakthrough.

Yoshis Island had some neat effects.

Axelay (SNES) had some crazy effects for the time

(the choppy gif doesnt do it justice)

Axelay is poetry in motion from start to end, and that music. I mean, look at this transition and sense of depth and distance (0:30, low quality badly emulated video):

https://youtu.be/XPFia7iVMVo?t=28

As a kid I didn't understand why stage 2 had patches of grassland, water and buildings on the wall alternating with space (with bridges over it!). It wasn't until I became familiar with space colonies that it all made sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7qiVPx53DA

lazygecko

I never liked that pronounced cylinder-like distortion of the perspective in Axelay. I think almost all of the early Konami SNES titles suffer from some ill conceived graphical gimmick, which is at worst directly detrimental to the gameplay (Contra 3), because they had some compulsion to show off the new hardware.

To be fair, the perspective effect used in Axelay isn't really anything unique to the SNES. Lots of people seem to think the overhead stages are using Mode 7, but they actually aren't (the fact that a full second background layer is displayed behind the foreground should be the most obvious giveaway, can't do that in Mode 7). It's just clever line scrolling trickery that I can't really explain, but maybe Krejlooc can. :p

Krejlooc

Banned
To be fair, the perspective effect used in Axelay isn't really anything unique to the SNES. Lots of people seem to think the overhead stages are using Mode 7, but they actually aren't (the fact that a full second background layer is displayed behind the foreground should be the most obvious giveaway, can't do that in Mode 7). It's just clever line scrolling trickery that I can't really explain, but maybe Krejlooc can. :p

That trick is called H-sync line displacement, and it indeed isn't mode 7. Off the top of my head, Sonic 3D blast on the Sega Genesis uses it as well for the special stages, and there are PC Engine demos that also demonstrate it.

It's not a complex trick, you are adjusting the vertical scroll per row of pixels using hblank synced interrupts. This gives the illusion of a compression effect because the higher scrolling speed towards the horizon means you are skipping rows of pixels being drawn.

EDIT: Actually, thay HuZero homebrew for the PC engine that someone posted earlier uses this as part of it's trick for the pseudo-3D road generation.

Here's the effect being done on the genesis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNHFba0hgFQ

Imo the DKC games were hideous eye sores and we're doing nothing new technologically. Using hideous art in your 2d sprites isn't a breakthrough.

Well, you're wrong about DKC, we were just discussing some of the interesting graphical techniques they used other than prerendered sprites just 2 pages ago.

Maxrunner

These games were incredible graphically for the time, nothing on the Genesis touch these quite frankly.

FyreWulff

there were still amazing things it was pull even ignoring the subjective opinons of the actual art on the screen representing the tech. The game partly has no persistent HUD solely to give as much tricks to the actual playing field as possible - and having no HUD in your game like that is very unique in the 2D generation and was borrowed by Miyamoto for Yoshi's Island.

Kolma

Yeah, but that background isnt real time, it's an fmv

Still a cool visual effect. Especially considering it covers the entire screen unlike most Sega CD FMV's that only cover a small window unless it specifically designed to run with the 32X

lazygecko

Still a cool visual effect. Especially considering it covers the entire screen unlike most Sega CD FMV's that only cover a small window unless it specifically designed to run with the 32X

My very uneducated guess would be that the simple untextured polygon look of everything allows them to get away with rendering the FMV at a lower bit depth. Sort of like the 1-bit silhouette "FMV" intro of Red Zone, but a bit more complex.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yep, Silpheed looks great, but it's just a video trick since the levels are linear. I think a lot of SHMUPs that came later did the same thing. Including some on the GBA if I remember correctly.

The low colors on the flat shaded poly count lets the video compress better while still looking great and running fast enough.

I like to think that if Nintendo hadn't invented the SFX chip (I know, they didn't invent it. Argonaut did. Whatever.) and the SNES-CD had come out, Star Fox could have done the same thing. A 3D ship and maybe enemies, but fully rendered backgrounds. Or something. I dunno. SF is a SHMUP. It's just a front-running SHMUP as opposed to top-down or side-scroll.

Top Bottom