• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

After listening to Coldworld and loving it. What are some similar bands I can listen to? So far I've only found Panopticon & Wolves In The Throne Room. Any other similar bands I should check out?

380115.jpg

Wędrujący Wiatr (POL) - Tam, gdzie miesiąc opłakuje świt

Gris (QC) - Il était une forêt...

Sombres Forêts (QC) - Royaume de glace

Wedard (DEU) - Einsamer winterweg

Wigrid (DEU) - Hoffnungstod

I'm sure there'll be significantly less bands but no overlaps is nice. I lucked out last year but I've had some brutal ones in the past (Taake/Mesrine, two bands I wanted to see most).

Edison Lot was barren this year so it's not surprising they're ditching it, though it is a bit disappointing to lose the "outside in the summer" aspect.

Some pretty rad band choices thus far either way. Would love to see them get Gorgoroth or actually make good on Carpathian Forest dropping last minute in 2013 but I doubt either will ever happen

Which Gorgoroth? Infernus' band Gorgoroth or God Seed from Gaahl and King?

Is anyone in to them? They are a pretty big name in the BM scene, but I never found them to be that interesting. Of the prebreakup albums I'd say Twilight of the Idols would be my favourite. And I associate Gorgoroth with Gaahl, probably due to the Sam Dunn doc, the Vice doc and a (hilarious) episode on a Dutch 'scary' show.
I've seen both versions live after the breakup and I'd give the edge to God Seed. Gaahl was one menacing guy, his screams were very impressive. I recently bought God Seeds debut and it's pretty good and my favourite 'Gorgoroth' album.

lordxar

What're your guys' guilty pleasure bands or albums?

ICP :) Love the Amazing Jeckel Brothers, Great Milenko, and Hells Pit. Rap is definitely not my thing so I'm not sure why I like these so much but I do. The rest of their catalog is trash but these are gems in the rough for me. Friend of mine told me the Milenko album was funny so I checked it out and loved it. I blame him for this.

Which Gorgoroth? Infernus' band Gorgoroth or God Seed from Gaahl and King?

Is anyone in to them? They are a pretty big name in the BM scene, but I never found them to be that interesting. Of the prebreakup albums I'd say Twilight of the Idols would be my favourite. And I associate Gorgoroth with Gaahl, probably due to the Sam Dunn doc, the Vice doc and a (hilarious) episode on a Dutch 'scary' show.
I've seen both versions live after the breakup and I'd give the edge to God Seed. Gaahl was one menacing guy, his screams were very impressive. I recently bought God Seeds debut and it's pretty good and my favourite 'Gorgoroth' album.
Infernus. I don't think the Gaahl era is good at all

Then again I thought the last Gorgoroth album sucked too. That's largely due to the vocalist though, who doesn't even seem to play shows with them

Pentagram, Antichrist, Under The Sign Of Hell, and Quantos are absolutely killer.

Ritual is the one of the most criminally overlooked black metal tracks, absolute evil

ICP :) Love the Amazing Jeckel Brothers, Great Milenko, and Hells Pit. Rap is definitely not my thing so I'm not sure why I like these so much but I do. The rest of their catalog is trash but these are gems in the rough for me. Friend of mine told me the Milenko album was funny so I checked it out and loved it. I blame him for this.

I remember liking KMK. Terrible rappers, but great production.

ICP is a clusterfuck of bad ideas and horrible lyrics, but they do have some raw strengths as rappers, mostly in their delivery which is....raw? Terrible group but oddly respectable due to their sincerity.

I'm a Hip Hop Head, so yeah. I don't mind if people like them, but b their music sucks.

Also, Juggalos are absolutely disgusting group of people. Sorry.

lordxar

I remember liking KMK. Terrible rappers, but great production.

ICP is a clusterfuck of bad ideas and horrible lyrics, but they do have some raw strengths as rappers, mostly in their delivery which is....raw? Terrible group but oddly respectable due to their sincerity.

I'm a Hip Hop Head, so yeah. I don't mind if people like them, but b their music sucks.

Also, Juggalos are absolutely disgusting group of people. Sorry.

Yea I didn't know anything about Juggalos until after I got into their music. Then I find out the hatchet thing I kept seeing on rear car windows meant dirty Fago drinkers... That kind of shit isn't for me. I'm into the music not the movement which is true of any music for me really.

choodi

Banned
Yea I didn't know anything about Juggalos until after I got into their music. Then I find out the hatchet thing I kept seeing on rear car windows meant dirty Fago drinkers... That kind of shit isn't for me. I'm into the music not the movement which is true of any music for me really.

Social movements/cultures/identities based around music are for teenagers. Most people grow out of that sort of thing by their mid twenties.

Wearing a particular style of clothes and thinking in a particular way because your favourite musicians do is a silly idea.

Just listened through the new Witherscape. My immediate response is "not as good as the first" but I can totally see it growing on me, time will tell. Nothing bad though, just more of the same Dan Swano goodness

AAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!
Hat is the greatest of all time. The best part is he's done nothing besides that first Gorgoroth album, he's probably like a teacher or doctor right now

Is Myrkur worth listening to? It's one-person female Black Metal, but I don't know if it's good or not.

EDIT: Man, MA is all over this one, and not in a good way. So is RYM, and pretty much every other feedback rating type site.

Is Myrkur worth listening to? It's one-person female Black Metal, but I don't know if it's good or not.

EDIT: Man, MA is all over this one, and not in a good way. So is RYM, and pretty much every other feedback rating type site.
The only way you're going to know is by listening for yourself. Don't concern yourself with what the zeitgeist thinks is kvlt or whatever.

haven't listened to it but this review from RYM is hilarious

The backlash against Myrkur pretty much just proves that people aren't able to think for themselves. Not only is it an excellent album, it's done in such an artful and interesting way that it's become one of my favorite metal releases of the year. The production is a much better quality than her debut EP (which wasn't half bad), thanks to collaboration with Garm from Ulver. And she's not doing the standard boring Darkthrone worship that so many black metal bands stick to; she's clearly listened to her share of Bathory and Celtic Frost, and the old-school black metal textures add a lot, as well as the choral vocal stuff, which makes it almost a darkwave album at times. And I certainly can't find fault with the slower, almost Kate Bush-like tracks.

So it's fine, if closed-minded listeners don't want to like her because she's also in an indie pop band or (shudder) A WOMAN, they can do that. But they're missing out on something special.

Guys, she clearly listened to Bathory and Celtic Frost instead of just Darkthrone. What more could you want

lordxar

This Ghostbusters all over again? Lol.

I dig the M album fwiw. It's not the greatest thing ever but if you want some operatic type doomy stuff it's not bad. It's pretty mellow but I'm actually ok with that for whatever reason.

The only way you're going to know is by listening for yourself. Don't concern yourself with what the zeitgeist thinks is kvlt or whatever.

Meh, I don't think the reviews on MA are that type at all. The reviews were helpful, if negative.

But I only admit I wanted to listen to this one because she was one R.A. The Rugged Man's second album, LOL. Same singer on Definition of a Rap Flow plays Black Metal? Weird.

Fair enough, I just know she gets a lot of shit for her musical background. Think she was in a pop girl band too at some point and people do seem to hit her with that stick when it comes to judging her heavier stuff.

Fair enough, I just know she gets a lot of shit for her musical background. Think she was in a pop girl band too at some point and people do seem to hit her with that stick when it comes to judging her heavier stuff.

What a pathetic attitude... What has her involvement in other genres to do with her black metal output? Is she not "trve" enough? Maybe she needs to start torching some churches. Sometimes I don't understand metalheads...

Scottify

New Revocation out today. I'm streaming via Google Music so I assume it's out everywhere else. So far it's really good. It feels like it has more groove than previous albums but still ridiculously heavy.

Tankard

Harakiri for the Sky's new album is available on Spotify, killer album, imo.

Will heck new Witherscape and Hammers of Misfortune later.

RDreamer

Wanted to listen to Black Crown Initiate, but their new album's upload on spotify seems to be broken. Stops minutes before the end of like 2-3 songs.

Toxi

Banned
Been listening to Opeth's Orchid and Still Life again and I really love them. Are there any albums by other bands with a similar style metalGAF can recommend?

Been listening to Opeth's Orchid and Still Life again and I really love them. Are there any albums by other bands with a similar style metalGAF can recommend?

Wilderun's Sleep At the Edge of the Earth has some serious Opeth influences mixed with some folk as well. One of my favorites from last year.

Dominus Xul (CHL) - The Primigeni Xul (I Condemned My Enemies)

this is an album I never usually see mentioned in death metal discussion, particularly of the "Golgotha" focus, and that shouldn't be the case. Incantation has inspired many bands, but before labels were cashing in on their sound, this album existed and I feel it stands on its own. Oppressive and doom-laden death metal.

Immortal Fate (CA) - Beautiful

a tragically forgotten masterpiece of dark, grinding death metal. Features a ton of doom flavor and some early slam. All the evil and contempt that make for a truly great death metal album is here, and then some. This was later released on LP by the great Six Two Five Thrashcore label.

Lttp but. Im not a fan of the typical black metal sound, I like a couple tracks from Abbath's solo work and that's it, maybe I just haven't heard any good stuff as I can't really name any black metal bands I've listened to, closest being Behemoth(though I like stuff off their last album too) but I love Myrkur

The Myrkur thing is the same as Deafheaven

It's trendy and "false"

Regarding "it's because she's a woman" - it's a similar situation to the new Ghostbusters where idiots turn it into dumb misogyny and as a result anyone saying "this is dumb" gets lumped in with them

Witherscape's new one was also fantastic.
I'm still letting it sink in so I can really decide how I feel about it

It's really good but my early impression is that it isn't as memorable as the first release. The technicality has been stepped up and it goes to a lot of different places but I just don't know if it hits as hard.

First song is fantastic though, probably the best of either album.

Either way it'll be one of my favorite albums of the year lol

Léon
Aliens
Serenity
The Shawshank Redemption
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Ah, you mentioned Aliens, reminded me of that movie being thirty years old. It's a classic, though. The first movie is my favorite of the series since I prefer its tone better, but you can't go wrong with either. While not on the same level, I thought Alien 3 was pretty good, too.

Anyway, I've got another question for you folks. What are your favorite movies?
Better Off Dead
I Saw The Devil
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
Terminator 2
Mad Max: Fury Road

It's hard to narrow it down to 5 but better than rambling off titles
such as Speed Racer, Blade Runner, and Dario Argento movies

Better Off Dead
I Saw The Devil
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
Terminator 2
Mad Max: Fury Road

It's hard to narrow it down to 5 but better than rambling off titles
such as Speed Racer, Blade Runner, and Dario Argento movies

Man, I should definitely see that Mad Max movie. Looks awesome from what I can tell.

I'm glad you mentioned Speed Racer, because I rented it and ended up actually really liking that movie. Visually, absolutely awesome and a lot of fun.

Anyway, my favorite movies is going to make me sound like a douche, but whatever.

Saving Private Ryan
Fantasia
Blue Velvet
Eraserhead
Citizen Kane
Andrei Rublev
Grave of the Fireflies
Apocalypse Now
Intolerance (Yes, the 1916 film made by the same guy who made Birth of a Nation)
Alien
Dead Alive
Dazed and Confused
La Dolce Vita
Goodfellas
The Bicycle Thief
Nosferatu

Some others I can't think of right now.

Favorite movies:
Scott Pilgrim vs the world
Fury Road/Mad Max/Road Warrior(honestly can't choose)
Alien
Pulp Fiction
Hateful eight
Empire Strikes back/ new hope
Man, I should definitely see that Mad Max movie. Looks awesome from what I can tell.

I'm glad you mentioned Speed Racer, because I rented it and ended up actually really liking that movie. Visually, absolutely awesome and a lot of fun.
Mad Max is soooooooooo good.

Top Bottom